Warrior: Long mirtazapine WD

Warrior

Hi, @ChessieCat! Thank you for answer me.  It's seems close to DP/DR and maybe anhedonia/numbness and emotional anesthesia, because I have the conscience that I'm not feeling the experiences during the day. Thank you again, sometimes these symptom appears in a range of ways and variations. 

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

Hi, @ChessieCat! I need your help. I'm going through a wave and I'm desperate. I have symptoms such as insomnia, confused emotions, sexual problems, hearing sensitivity, mental confusion, loss of pleasure and well-being. I saw some specific threads about these symptoms and I saw that some of them can remain indefinitely. What to do in these cases? I'm very worried. My life is chaos. Waiting for a cure is agonizing. I used it for 5 months and I'm already heading to 10 months, some things have improved. But may some never get back to normal?

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Warrior.  I realize that going through withdrawal from psych meds is very bizarre, and it's quite discouraging when we seem to be improving, but then our symptoms get worse.  This is the windows and waves pattern I talked about in the beginning of your thread.  Unfortunately, it can take many months, to years, to fully recover from these drugs.  I will post you some links to help reassure you, and show you how to be more optimistic about your recovery.  This first link is extra helpful - please read it carefully: 

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

Health Anxiety

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take, Factors Affecting Withdrawal

These next links can help with anxiety, and feelings of despair: 

Emotional Spirals

Acknowledge Accept Float

Music to Calm Anxiety

Breathing Technique for Anxiety

Meditation

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

I really appreciate your help! Thank you so much! I'm going to read these links and try to stay calm. Thank you again!

Hi Warrior,

I just checked in on you and saw that you are having a really hard time.  I picked up a key phrase in your post yesterday..."some things have improved"...

Healing is not a linear progress in any sense of the word.  Even things that have improved may backslide, but the point is it might help to focus on the improvements...claim them...and reassure yourself that more healing from other symptoms will come.  Our brains/bodies can only do so much work at one time.  So, who knows which of your symptoms is next in line for healing, but there WILL be more.  I have one particular withdrawal symptom that is extremely scary but as it gets worse and worse I am learning coping mechanisms for it, and with that comes the calm that I need to help me handle it.

Some symptoms MAY plague your for some time and then one day you will realize that they are gone.  Think about it, even "healthy people" who have not had to go through the psych drug trauma have ailments and troubling things that come and go.  Here today and gone tomorrow...it can happen.  I imagine some of those "calming" links gettoflex posted might help you.  In fact, I am going to take a look at them right now.

Cheering you on!

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Hello, Grace! It's wonderful to get a message from you again! Thank you so much for this support! I really believe what you said, it takes time and patience! In fact, everyone is susceptible to health problems, so we have to be understanding with ourselves. I leave these links always open now on my PC and when I get desperate, I go to read them. Because I'm emotionally unstable, negative things make my mood worse and trigger a lot of things. I'm learning to control it. Thank you one more time! We have to focus on what's good going on in all of this. I'm rooting for you too!

Believe me, Warrior, I am not able to control my acceptance of all I suffer with every day, but I do know, that when I can give myself these positive messages, distract myself from the symptoms,  and try to switch my mood from fear and anxiety to, "well, this is today. Tomorrow will be better," it often really is!  Sometimes I have to wait a few days to get that window of a few hours, or more if I am lucky, but another window always comes.  I try to be super mindful of, and grateful for, that window.  Have you considered a "gratitude journal?"  Truthfully, I don't have one and I wish I would establish that habit but I do try to be mindful and gracious about every little thing that is even just a little bit better.  I wonder if you wrote down those small improvements if you would eventually see that list grow and realize you really are healing.  Even if an improvement that is on the list comes back, you will know it is capable of going away because you wrote it down and remember.

I just watched the video on breathing techniques.  I do not understand this guy.  His ideas about breathing and technique are contrary to so many others that I have tried to learn.  So if this guy's breathing  worked for you, great!  If it doesn't work for you, I would encourage you to keep exploring and practicing until you find a breathing technique that works for you.  I am still looking.  I have obviously been breathing the wrong way my whole life and am having trouble undoing my poor habits.  I continue to explore and try.

Believe me, Warrior, I am not that good at heeding my own advice but I try.  I am a work in progress!

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

@Warrior 

Hi :)

I saw your tag on a different thread but wanted to respond here so that it's all in one place for you. 

You were asking about the hyperacusis. Mine was luckily quite temporary - a few days to a week and left just like that. At times it comes again but just like that disappears - that is the nature of these disturbances - they are 'chemical' and as such temporary so fear not yours will disappear as well when your body finds its new balance. 

I still sleep with earplugs - the very soft kind that you squish to fit into your ears. I know some others wear noise cancelling headphones during the day. But what I know is that these symptoms disappear for everyone with enough time and patience. I know having them is very disturbing and I understand how hard patience is - I see it in myself every day. 

Hang in there!
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Thank you very much for replying! I did a search on SA and found some people who improved, you were one of them, luckily! I've had hyperacusis for 15 days and I haven't noticed any significant improvement so far. I didn't have this symptom until then, but it appeared. But in fact, as you said, these symptoms are chemical and I hope they will pass. Hyperacusis is quite distressing, as everything seems so irritating. Thank you very much! And more goodies for you!!

@Warrior did you see this topic? The first post is amazing. It shows the randomness and the temporariness of these symptoms. For me external stress amplifies all of these issues. There were times when I couldn't stand the sound of the TV or vehicles on the street which when measured by decibel were no louder than a whisper. 

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

I hope your hyperacusis vanishes quickly!

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

6 hours ago, savinggrace said:

Believe me, Warrior, I am not able to control my acceptance of all I suffer with every day, but I do know, that when I can give myself these positive messages, distract myself from the symptoms,  and try to switch my mood from fear and anxiety to, "well, this is today. Tomorrow will be better," it often really is!  Sometimes I have to wait a few days to get that window of a few hours, or more if I am lucky, but another window always comes.  I try to be super mindful of, and grateful for, that window.  Have you considered a "gratitude journal?"  Truthfully, I don't have one and I wish I would establish that habit but I do try to be mindful and gracious about every little thing that is even just a little bit better.  I wonder if you wrote down those small improvements if you would eventually see that list grow and realize you really are healing.  Even if an improvement that is on the list comes back, you will know it is capable of going away because you wrote it down and remember.

I just watched the video on breathing techniques.  I do not understand this guy.  His ideas about breathing and technique are contrary to so many others that I have tried to learn.  So if this guy's breathing  worked for you, great!  If it doesn't work for you, I would encourage you to keep exploring and practicing until you find a breathing technique that works for you.  I am still looking.  I have obviously been breathing the wrong way my whole life and am having trouble undoing my poor habits.  I continue to explore and try.

Believe me, Warrior, I am not that good at heeding my own advice but I try.  I am a work in progress!

Grace

Hello, @savinggrace! I know how difficult it is to follow any advice in the withdrawal stage of these drugs. I'm starting a diary with all the possible notes about my symptom variations. I started late, but I'm trying to put everything I've been through during this period. And now with your tip, I will add a gratitude section for the good things, they are more important after all.
I kind of already found my way to breathing years ago. I try for a few minutes to have a very concentrated breath through the diaphragm, with moments I hold it for a few seconds and let it out slowly. It has helped me a lot then and now.
I understand you perfectly and I'm not here to judge you. Your support is being essential to me and that is the most important thing. We are not perfect and we are constantly changing.
Thanks again! And many moments of peace for you.

14 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

@Guerreiro você viu esse tópico? A primeira postagem é incrível. Mostra a aleatoriedade e a provisoriedade desses sintomas. Para mim, o estresse externo amplifica todas essas questões. Houve momentos em que eu não conseguia suportar o som da TV ou dos veículos na rua que, quando medidos em decibéis, não eram mais altos que um sussurro. 

O que está acontecendo em seu cérebro? - Sintomas e autocuidado - Antidepressivos de sobrevivência

Espero que sua hiperacusia desapareça rapidamente!

OMW

Hellho again, @Onmyway! How had I not seen it before? If I saw it, I don't remember. Memory is bad. But I'm reading it, thank you very much! In fact, external events greatly affect the withdrawal, I have already entered several waves because of them. I even downloaded an app to measure decibels and no sound here at home is out of the ordinary, that's when I realized it was my sensitive ears. And I still believe that the problem is not in the auditory organ, but in how the brain interprets these stimuli - I researched this and it is related to serotonin (an extremely important substance that these psychiatrists do not know how to handle, definitely not - I tried relax a little, I'm tired of so much suffering).
Thank you very much! I'm also rooting for her to disappear!

Hi Warrior just read your thread as you responded to something i mentioned...its great to hear you have been off pych drugs for a year now...well done, your symptoms you have mentioned in all your threads i have or currently experience eg. dp/dr, heat, vision problems, headaches, tiredness, apathy, no sense of purpose in life, stomach pains, not feeling connected to my body, or being able to connect fully with other people in social situations, irritability, insomnia, dry eyes and pain around my eye sockets however eye pressure is not high enough for eye doctor to worry about, time can be an issue for me too....fatigue, one thing you mentioned where ear noises...i at present have not had that, but many more you have not mentioned such as joint pains, anger which can be about having to take these drugs to someones cat on my property...very little things can annoy me, grief also i have and continue to experience...you sound like you are only young...they say the younger you are...and the less time you have been on these drugs the better chance you have of getting your life back to normal...i however am 52 years old and been on these drugs for a long time with a time in early 2000 i decided to take an overdose of zyprexa...i took 30x 10mg tables all at once...not realising you cannot die from taking an overdose....i am sure that episode killed a few brain cells....so at present i am just grateful i am no longer on such high doses of meds...no more on AD's and just below 2.5mg zyprexa...and beginning to feel abit normal, more connected to my body...more human...sometimes i even feel like swinging my butt in a sexy way. (eg feeling sexy).so yes feeling my emotions are slowly coming back...i am sure because you are young...you will with time...get to become like your old self again.....give it time, dont worry and get on with your life...

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

Hi @morgana! It's great to hear a little bit of your story and to know that you've been noticing improvements over time, it's very inspiring and gives me hope. Feeling all this changes us somehow, I can't explain it for sure, but the symptoms left me emotionally shaken. I really hope to feel like I was again, someone happy, full of energy, courageous and confident with life. Today I feel aimless, a little lost with everything, disconnected from the real world and the energy that flows through it. I can't deny this frustration, it's something I feel, dreams and life frozen. I'm feeling more and more noticeable improvements, I'll update the symptoms in a next message, it's important to talk about the good things that happen too. 

I imagine how good it must be to feel her emotions back and with her, her sensuality hahah

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm glad to know you're getting farther and farther away from these drugs, it's very liberating to come out of this cave. I wish you to heal from all this and have your life back too, control of it. Thanks and hugs!

Hi! Yesterday I had a serious argument with my parents trying to show them what these drugs did to me, but to no avail. They believe I'm in this situation because I want to, that I'm not doing anything to get out of it and just creating justifications to stay stuck at home. This is absurd, they just don't understand or support me. I never wanted to go to any doctor or take any psychiatric drug, I was forced to by my mother and now she just turns things around. Apart from the help of SA and my sister, I am alone in this situation, but it will pass, it has to pass. I just wanted to vent. Thank you all.

Hi @Warrior , please keep your cool with your family, as they are the ones who will take care of you no matter what. And remember you only have one mother so please in any circumstance do not blame her. I lost my mother 3 months ago and because of my condition, I haven’t been able to attend her funeral, how bad that is, only I know. I have also quit Mirtazapine 6 months ago and in severe withdrawal although I was on 3.75 mg only and was misdiagnosed (thats what I believe) by the doctors. Now I have chronic occipital neuralgia (neck and head stiffness and severe and killing pain) and chronic flu like symptoms with breathing difficulty (feel head squeeze from time to time as well with dark circles underneath dry and burning eyes - I don’t know how I carry on during the day).  Doctors again have tried giving me another antidepressant/anticonvulsant gabapentin but I just refused. I have a family too with 2 kids, although at times we have our differences but my other half takes good care of me no matter how bad my behaviour is. Yes Its difficult for me sometimes but my other half understands. Only thing in the past 6 months has improved for me is the severe form of headache that I use to have when I was taking that nasty poison. So I am hanging in there and my advise to you is that hang in there buddy. That poison that didn’t kill you only made you stronger.

Mirtazapine - 3.75mg orodispersible tab since 26 Mar 2021

Hi @AddyA! Sorry for the delay in responding, I had to take some time to think. My condolences for the loss of your mother, it must have been very painful. I appreciate her support and strength. I can imagine how nice it is to have the support of your family, this is very important and keeps us stronger on the journey. I am also sorry for your difficult withdrawal, I have also been facing this for 9 months and I know well the consequences of these poisons. I know I was misdiagnosed by a failed psychiatry, just like you, today I understand how deceived I was. Really, I've seen studies that show that smaller doses are more difficult to withdraw because of the drug's binding with neuron receptors, too sad.
I agree with you, these drugs can bring us down, but in the end it's just another stumbling block. We get up, dust ourselves off and move on.
Thank you so much again for your support and I wish you all the best and your health back my friend.

A big hug!

Hello everybody!

I'm posting an update on my situation on withdrawal after a few days out of SA. There's so much going on with me that I get confused, scared, insecure, anxious, impatient. But deep down, I know this is the right way to go, no matter how hard it is. I don't want to go back on these drugs ever again and I want to get my life and who I am back on track. Many times I have doubted everything I'm going through, if I'm really sick, but then I remember the day I took these medications and how I felt before them. With that remembrance, I move forward despite all obstacles and difficulties. The support I've received and receive from the people on this blog is incredible and fundamental to helping me get through all of this. I am very grateful to all of you, members, moderators and founders.

I will report what happened in the last few days. About 21 days ago, I was at a friend's house and had some wine. I knew I shouldn't and that it would get in the way of my recovery, but unfortunately I made that mistake. I had drunk at other times during the withdrawal, but I was not aware that it could get in my way and I didn't know about SA yet. That same day that I drank the wine, I had insomnia and in the morning of the next day, I started to have a headache that I had never had in my life. I had a terrible reaction to alcohol, my head and ears hurt a lot and I didn't understand why, because my memory was so bad, I couldn't remember what I had done the day before. I don't remember what day I was able to associate these symptoms with alcohol, but when I connected the dots, I bitterly regretted it. Along with this headache, I had extreme hyperacusis, I had these symptoms for 6 to 7 days, and then things passed and I got better, I didn't feel anything anymore and I was in a very quiet window. This window lasted approximately 8 days, but with a wave day in between. I was already feeling relieved and happy to no longer have the headache and hyperacusis. However, on the last day of the window, I listened to music on headphones for about 40 minutes, it wasn't loud, I didn't feel discomfort in my ears, on the contrary, I felt very good, as I was before all that. The next day, when I wake up, I notice a ringing in my ear. It destroyed my window and the good mood I was feeling. It destabilized me even more. I still have the ringing in both ears, I will give more details later. I didn't expect this to happen simply because I listened to music. I know I shouldn't have drunk alcohol, I regret it and now I have the consequences of having made that mistake, even though it's not clear if this tinnitus is totally related to alcohol, as my hearing had improved after the wave. I really hope it isn't permanent and is just a stumbling block along the way.

Finally, I made a spreadsheet with symptoms that I had and that I still have to get a sense of how this withdrawal is happening. I created a category to divide the symptoms.

Overcome (I haven't had it in months): itching, swollen belly, fever, feeling of self-harm, chills, hyperactivity, restlessness, tension, sore eyes, rashes, constipation, tingling, muscle spasms, joint stiffness, blurred vision.

Rare (sometimes they appear very spaced, but not as regular or intense as waves: suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts, crying spells, dizziness, poor coordination, headache, imbalance, compulsion for sweets.

Weak (present, but at low intensities: derealization, unreality, emotional coldness, numbness, muscle weakness, lack of sense of humor, feeling hungover, loss of taste/pleasure in food, feeling of an anesthetized/cotton-filled brain.

In waves (appears and disappears regularly, with intensities that vary widely, but with a tendency to improve): irritability, low energy, chest pain, fatigue, change in appetite, aggression, worsened mood, impulsiveness, general malaise, fear, nervousness, sweating, restlessness, manic reactions, light sensitivity, lethargy, heaviness in the body, stomach gas/heartburn, blurred sound, no auditory clarity (sound does not fill the ears/impaired spatial sound perception), dull vision, feeling of shock in the body and brain, panic, skin burning, sadness, loss of empathy, depersonalization, obsessive/compulsive/intrusive thoughts, heavy head, anxiety.

Strong (they are present and have a very big impact): insomnia/sleep problems (mainly from tinnitus that won't stop), lack of resilience, concentration problems, mood swings, memory problems, confused circadian cycle, cognitive problems / mental confusion, lack of confidence, lack of self-awareness, lack of self-control, feeling of flow, auditory sensitivity, no emotions, loss of pleasure and general well-being, tinnitus, demotivation, loss of control over life, slow thinking, lack of patience, lack of spatial awareness/feeling of presence/control of environment, lack of awareness of reality/day flow, lack of feeling of productivity/task completed.

The tinnitus started off weak, but over time it got worse. It is on 24/7 which makes it difficult to be silent and sleep. There are 2 sounds, the one in the left ear is lower and I feel it coming from behind the ear. The right is higher and comes from a location closer to the exit. I don't know if they decrease throughout the day or if I can disguise them with other ambient sounds and forget about it. I also notice that my hearing on the right side is weird and I feel my ear covered, I don't hear as clearly as on the left side, which sometimes gets weird too, but it goes back to normal. I've been researching and this was making me anxious about what it could cause. The causes are diverse, from progressive hearing loss to serotonin itself, which is deregulated, making the ear not work properly. I believe that my ears can be sensitized with everything that is happening in my body and that little by little they can improve. If that doesn't happen in 20 or 30 days, I'll go to an otolaryngologist to assess whether there is any physical damage. I really hope they are not permanent and that they will pass.

That's all I can describe so far. I used google to translate because my vocabulary is not that vast and my memory is terrible. Thanks again.

Edited by ChessieCat
reformatted text for easier reading

On 5/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, Warrior said:

Hi Warrior...  I am super impressed with what you have written and identified here.  I think there is so much hope for you and you have it in writing.  I know you are experiencing new symptoms and waves but honestly, you have "overcome" so many symptoms and the rare and weak symptoms are just that....rare and weak.  Healing is happening and will continue.  Keep up the good fight.  As far as your parents go, they love you and want the best for you but they do not understand and they aren't going to so I would advise not engaging on the topic.  (although if they are financially supporting you, I know that makes it more difficult for you and them)   I hope you can find some people in your life who will support your journey going forward. As I have said somewhere, I have kept my psych drug journey pretty quiet and only shared with a handful of people who support me.

Sorry this post seems like a mess.  I tried the quote thing and cut and paste but hopefully you will figure out that these words are mine, and the quote under is yours.  Keep going, Warrior.  You are doing great.   Grace

On 5/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, Warrior said:

"Overcome (I haven't had it in months): itching, swollen belly, fever, feeling of self-harm, chills, hyperactivity, restlessness, tension, sore eyes, rashes, constipation, tingling, muscle spasms, joint stiffness, blurred vision.

Rare (sometimes they appear very spaced, but not as regular or intense as waves: suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts, crying spells, dizziness, poor coordination, headache, imbalance, compulsion for sweets.

Weak (present, but at low intensities: derealization, unreality, emotional coldness, numbness, muscle weakness, lack of sense of humor, feeling hungover, loss of taste/pleasure in food, feeling of an anesthetized/cotton-filled brain."

Hello Grace! Thank you so much for your support once again. I'm making up with them and I managed to talk and explain a little more about this whole mess. They are understanding and are more patient, attentive and understanding. What is a breakthrough.

Thank you so much! 

Hugs ❤️

Hello, I need your help: @getofflex or @Altostrata.I've had tinnitus for 16 days, a few moments at night it gets better, but yesterday it got a lot worse, I thought I was going to go crazy. I couldn't sleep and I'm afraid I'm going to have this forever. It's causing me insomnia, anxiety and bad thoughts about my life. I want to sleep but I can't. What do you guys think of alprazolam, at least for a while to lessen the symptoms? It's not something I'd like, but I don't see a way out. Awaiting return. Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Warrior said:

I've had tinnitus for 16 days, a few moments at night it gets better, but yesterday it got a lot worse, I thought I was going to go crazy. I couldn't sleep and I'm afraid I'm going to have this forever. It's causing me insomnia, anxiety and bad thoughts about my life. I want to sleep but I can't. What do you guys think of alprazolam, at least for a while to lessen the symptoms? It's not something I'd like, but I don't see a way out.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  It sounds very frustrating and scary.  Withdrawal from psych meds is uniquely bizarre and scary, because it is long lasting, unpredictable, and the windows and waves makes it seem like we are on a crazy roller coaster ride.  It makes us feel very out of control, and that is scary.  However, it is temporary.  Although you've had tinnitus for 16 days, you only had 1 day where it was a lot worse.  Why not wait a few days, and see if the severity of the tinnitus goes down?  Going on a benzodiazepine is a drastic solution, because benzos are highly addictive, and getting off of them can be brutal.  

My suggestion would be to try not to dwell on it and think about it, I know that is really hard, but try to distract yourself as much as you can, because dwelling on it seems to be causing you anxiety and depression, which will just send you on a downward spiral, and make your WD much worse.  Here are some links that can really help you with the feelings of anxiety and bad thoughts about your life: 

Acknowledge Accept Float

Emotional Spirals

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Warrior,

Please don’t take a benzo. It is a very temporary fix inviting a long-term problem. Try to imagine this tinnitus as fleeting and eventually on your “rare” list. 

7 hours ago, getofflex said:

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  It sounds very frustrating and scary.  Withdrawal from psych meds is uniquely bizarre and scary, because it is long lasting, unpredictable, and the windows and waves makes it seem like we are on a crazy roller coaster ride.  It makes us feel very out of control, and that is scary.  However, it is temporary.  Although you've had tinnitus for 16 days, you only had 1 day where it was a lot worse.  Why not wait a few days, and see if the severity of the tinnitus goes down?  Going on a benzodiazepine is a drastic solution, because benzos are highly addictive, and getting off of them can be brutal.  

My suggestion would be to try not to dwell on it and think about it, I know that is really hard, but try to distract yourself as much as you can, because dwelling on it seems to be causing you anxiety and depression, which will just send you on a downward spiral, and make your WD much worse.  Here are some links that can really help you with the feelings of anxiety and bad thoughts about your life: 

Acknowledge Accept Float

Emotional Spirals

Hi, @getofflex the tinnitus has gotten slightly less, but it is still present and constant. Most of the time I can hear it even with background sounds. I'm worried it's permanent, I feel like it's both in the ears and around the head. And thank you! I won't resort to benzos, it's not worth it. The consequences are much greater.

3 hours ago, savinggrace said:

Warrior,

Please don’t take a benzo. It is a very temporary fix inviting a long-term problem. Try to imagine this tinnitus as fleeting and eventually on your “rare” list. 

Hello Grace! I didn't take it, thank goodness. It's not worth resorting to them. Now I have the support of my parents and it is helping me a lot. Thank you for helping me.

Hugs ❤

Warrior,

I am very very happy to hear you have the support of your parents.  I have three sons in their late 30's.  It is not easy to navigate relationships at times, especially when there are delicate situations such as yours.  Try to listen to what they say, and if you don't agree with them, choose your words carefully so the relationship will remain open.  The more you seek to understand each other, the further you will get and the more support you will have.

Good job on NOT taking the benzo!!!

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Warrior said:

I'm worried it's permanent,

The item below is from my first link in my previous post.  Please read this, and keep it in mind.  

5. Deconstruct eternity thinking

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are incredibly compelling. Often when a wave of symptoms arises, one feels they will always feel this way forever. I know for me, when a wave of depression hits, I have a hard time believing it won’t last forever. The reality is that symptoms change over time. Recovery follows an unpredictable course, yet no feeling is final. Waves will always end eventually. Remind yourself that symptoms are not forever, and you will feel differently eventually. Symptom journals can be incredibly helpful in this regard, as when eternity thinking sets in, you can revisit past journals to see how your experience has changed over time. 

19 hours ago, savinggrace said:

Warrior,

I am very very happy to hear you have the support of your parents.  I have three sons in their late 30's.  It is not easy to navigate relationships at times, especially when there are delicate situations such as yours.  Try to listen to what they say, and if you don't agree with them, choose your words carefully so the relationship will remain open.  The more you seek to understand each other, the further you will get and the more support you will have.

Good job on NOT taking the benzo!!!

Grace

Hi Grace! Yes I agree with you! I'm being more understanding with them and they're more receptive to understanding what I'm going through, giving me full support now, looking for more solutions. And most importantly, emotional support and acceptance, something I've always looked for throughout this period. Thank you again!!

Hugs ❤

19 hours ago, getofflex said:

The item below is from my first link in my previous post.  Please read this, and keep it in mind.  

5. Deconstruct eternity thinking

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are incredibly compelling. Often when a wave of symptoms arises, one feels they will always feel this way forever. I know for me, when a wave of depression hits, I have a hard time believing it won’t last forever. The reality is that symptoms change over time. Recovery follows an unpredictable course, yet no feeling is final. Waves will always end eventually. Remind yourself that symptoms are not forever, and you will feel differently eventually. Symptom journals can be incredibly helpful in this regard, as when eternity thinking sets in, you can revisit past journals to see how your experience has changed over time. 

Hello get! Truth! I know the symptoms are very convincing and shake me a lot, especially this tinnitus, which is not letting me sleep, is causing me anxiety and terrible thoughts. I am worried because the cases of permanent tinnitus are great. I wish there was more clear information about this, I've read a lot and apparently not what to do, just wait. I suspect the alcohol caused this overreaction of my CNS, causing me to have the hyperacusis and then the tinnitus. I don't understand why this happens, I know I shouldn't have drunk, I was terribly wrong, but I had drunk before and the only reaction I had was the insomnia that got worse and the mood, I don't remember other symptoms so serious. I will never drink again in my life. I'm praying tô God tô cure me. What do you think? I'm going to start a follow-up with a naturalist doctor, specialist in Chinese medicine and acupuncture. What do you think? It treats tinnitus as well.

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Warrior said:

I'm going to start a follow-up with a naturalist doctor, specialist in Chinese medicine and acupuncture.

When having any of these types of treatment it is suggested that you tell them that you want calming treatments, not detox or anything that is stimulating or activating.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Warrior said:

I suspect the alcohol caused this overreaction of my CNS, causing me to have the hyperacusis and then the tinnitus.

It is important to completely abstain from alcohol while your nervous system is recovering from psychiatric meds.  I'm glad you've decided to give up alcohol for good.  Our nervous systems tend to be highly sensitized during recovery, and the more times we go on and off drugs, or mild altering substances, the more our nervous systems tend to react with bad symptoms. This is the kindling effect.  

Post Withdrawal Kinding and Hypersensitivity

Please don't freak out about this.  It will eventually resolve.  If I were you, I would be very cautious about anything I put in my body, and about any future treatments.  Research them, don't just trust health care professionals, even if they are homeopathic, or naturalist.  Be careful with supplements, too.  

• 1 year later...

@Warrior how are you doing now?

• 15mg Remeron/Mirtazapine November starting 2022 (severe physical side effects)
  • Attempted to taper off January 2023, ended up having a major breakdown and going up to 30mg, took weeks to stabilise
  • Therapy and self-care helped a lot mentally while stable on the drug (but with bad physical side effects)
  • Tapered off over 4-5 weeks, felt physically better all through taper & sexual side effects & palpitations went away
  • Last dose 20-24th April 2023
  • Severely physically unwell from 2nd May 2023. Had many bad symptoms eg. Palpitations, adrenaline rushes at night etc in the weeks following and couldn't eat. 
  • Many symptoms eventually resolved, but left with severe and debilitating fatigue, poor sleep and sexual side effects.

Summary: 5 months using Mirtazapine, including 1 month taper ending late April 2023. Severe withdrawal since.