aloysius: Brief experience with SSRIs

aloysius

I hate googling my symptoms and would rather rely on actual people who may have experienced something similar. Brief about me. 51 y/o male with a history of anxiety/depression. Haven't been on anything since 2002; that was effexor with only side effect being night terrors. Most recently, I was diagnosed with gastritis back in September of 21 and was told it was caused by anxiety. I got better after about 10 days but it came back with a vengeance in mid-December of the same year. At the behest of my doc, I started taking wellbutrin. After a lot of bloodwork/endoscopy I got a clean bill of health. But this odd kind of nausea started happening about once per week. Weird thing is, I can still eat and drink and have an appetite. It got better after a month but it was still happening. So with the help of my GP I tapered off of wellbutrin and started trintellix. That nausea feeling (and kind of a stuck pill in throat feeling) was increasing in frequency. Nothing in particular set it off, it would come and go. Once I got up to 10mg of trintellix it was happening about twice a week. Well, I stopped taking trintellix about 4 days ago and today that feeling came back. My GI assures me it's the medication that causes this feeling and will continue to do so until the drugs are all out of my system. So my question is, has anyone else just had this odd symptom come and go? I don't really experience any other real side effects. Thanks for listening.

• ChessieCat changed the title to aloysius: Brief experience with SSRIs
  • Administrator

Welcome, @aloysius

People might get this symptom as an adverse effect of psychiatric drugs or as a withdrawal symptom when they go off drugs. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:42 PM, aloysius said:

My GI assures me it's the medication that causes this feeling and will continue to do so until the drugs are all out of my system.

Your doctor is saying this symptom is an adverse effect of the drug. Trintellix has a half-life of 66 hours. It will take about 17 days for it to be completely metabolized. If the symptom gradually goes away, you might attribute it to an adverse effect of the drug.

It is also possible that the drugs you have been taking caused some problem with your stomach. Before you take any drug, you might review potential adverse effects for it on drugs.com 

This is a site for going off drugs and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. How may we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This helps, thanks. I am on day 16 of getting off Wellbutrin/Trintellix use for just over 3 months. I had none of these symptoms prior to starting the drugs and the fact they came in waves/windows was disconcerting. It felt like symptoms of use or withdrawal would be constant until they finally fade. I'm coming to learn this is not the case. Sometimes it seems I'll never be myself again. Reading others stories helps reassure me otherwise.

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.