tanvi: advice needed for extended release bupropion taper

tanvi

Hi all! 

I need help regarding tapering off 150mg of Bupropion XL. Along with the Bupropion, I am on 600mg of Oxcarbazepine (300 mg twice a day) and 36mg of Methylphenidate which I take only as and when I need it. Prior to that, over my the last five years or so I have been on Escitalopram, Lamotrigine, Vortioxetine, Agomelatine and probably some others cant seem to recollect - its become so hard to keep track. Thankfully, however, I have not had much trouble coming off them or switching from one medication to the other even though I realize in hindsight that the way I was tapered off these medications were always rushed. I have been on Bupropion for over a year and a half. Over this period, I have noticed a significant impairment in my overall cognitive functioning as well as a dramatic increase in my anxiety to the extent that I feel entirely debilitated and incapable of doing anything. Its hard to disentangle how much of it is my medications and how much of it has to do with what has happened over the last two years, namely the pandemic and everything that it has entailed, but I do know that even if my medications are not at the root of my issues, they are certainly not doing anything to help them. My psych has recommended that I take Bupropion XL 150mg every alternate day for three weeks and then every three days for another three weeks before going off them. Based on a quick google search I realized that this is a highly unsound way to taper someone off a drug even for a medication that has a long half life, and that there is an abundance of clinical/medical literature out there that demonstrates that this 'method' simply renders people more vulnerable to severe withdrawals. The issue though is that Bupropion XL 150mg is the lowest dose there is and obviously, a liquid form of this medication is not readily available. Going to a compounding pharmacy is not an option for me either. I understand that SR and IR versions of this medication can be used for this tapering process but I have no idea how to go about this. I would really appreciate it if someone were to explain to me how this is done. I am confused and frankly, in a little bit of an anxiety spiral reading up about all the possible consequences of the method that my psych has recommended. Thank you all so much in advance. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to tanvi: advice needed for extended release bupropion taper

@tanvi

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off antidepressant medication.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions, and meet members such as yourself. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can I please ask you to create a signature first. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

You are very right. Your psychiatrist has given you a taper that is much too fast. Here, we never suggest more than 10% a month.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I'm going to give you a link on how to taper off of Bupropion. You will really want to read to entire page carefully as it explains how to go off the XL Bupropion very well.

Tips for tapering off buproprion (Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL)

After you have read these links, please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.