LostPhil: coming off Mirtazapine

LostPhil

Hi all. I was really struggling with ear and jaw pain and headaches in sep 2021. It was really getting me down. I had been on mirtazapine a decade earlier after a breakdown and overdose. Gp thought a good idea to go on mirt as it’s a muscle relaxant as well so could help ear and jaw problem

went on at 30mg which I’m kicking myself for going so high early. I went on and off it a bit which I know now you shouldn’t. The ear and jaw would feel fine but then not so would go back on it after a few days or week even

but I started getting apathetic and not wanting to even work. Then I started getting really agitated. I could pace my flat for hours on end - even all day. I would think if the past and be like I was trying to change it. 

I stopoed really quick quick in February 2022 going from 30mg to 15mg over 2 days to complete stop. That week I got sicker and sicker with this horrible burning sick feeling over my head and jerks and not sleeping and once nearly collapsing. My stomach got incredibly tight and I barely ate. 

went back on 30mg then 15mg then stopped again as was desperate to get off it then. Struggled again that week and read up on tapering and realized the risk I was taking and damage

reinstated at 15mg which I’m still on now. But still have sore stomach, jerks, and just not feeling great. I still pace and that ruins my sleep if I do too much

I really want to get off this horrible stuff. I feel I’m not me on it. I’ve lost my spark and energy and find it hard to work.  I know I’ve managed it really badly. Im thinking of dropping 3.25mg soon and track how I feel. If that is too much I can reinstate back. But I’m in the **** now, might as well keep going. 

Any thoughts gladly accepted as i so regret ever going on this stuff again. It’s all been so hard and I’ve had some really dark thoughts as I feel I’ve gone into a hole that is so hard to get out of. 

Mirtazapine

Sep 2022 30mg

of and on a bit until Feb 2022

15 feb 2022 15mg

16 feb 15mg

17 feb 0 mg

24 feb 30mg

25 feb 15mg

26 feb 0 mg

10 mar-current 15mg

Edited by LostPhil
Add changes to meds at bottom

Mirtazapine Recommended by doctor due to severe ear pain Sep 2021 30mg until Feb 2022. Severe bad reaction of pacing and emotional deadness. Tapered down 7.5mg from 30mg every 2 weeks until last 7.5mg tapered 2.5mg every 2 weeks. Completely off from April 2022. Feeling hugely better but still have weird feeling, muscle aches and tiredness. 

• Administrator

Welcome, @LostPhil

I am sorry you have wandered into withdrawal symptom from going off mirtazapine haphazardly. People are not aware they need to taper carefully.

It's important to take a psychiatric drug consistently so as not to trigger odd symptoms, which you have experienced.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, LostPhil said:

reinstated at 15mg which I’m still on now. But still have sore stomach, jerks, and just not feeling great. I still pace and that ruins my sleep if I do too much

What time o'clock do you take mirtazapine? What effect do you feel afterward? How's your sleep?

What times of day are your symptoms better or worse?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto. I take mirt 9:00pm. That works well for sleep. It does make me sleepy. I’m down to 7.5mg and that is making me sleep 8-10 hours. I’ve had to taper quick as I couldn’t function with the pacing and constant rumination on the past. I wasn’t eating, getting worn out and on the verge of major collapse. 

Been on 7.5mg for a few days now and feeling ok with a few withdrawal symptoms that are manageable like feeling flushed, a few little jerks but not much compared to coming off 30mg. Do feel tIred which I understand the lower the dose of mirt the more sedative it works.

Going to look at halving again soon and then try to stop. I just haven’t liked mirt at all it’s really knocked me around and haven’t felt like me. It’s been horrible actually. Thank god I could work from home otherwise don’t know how I would have got through this. 

Mirtazapine Recommended by doctor due to severe ear pain Sep 2021 30mg until Feb 2022. Severe bad reaction of pacing and emotional deadness. Tapered down 7.5mg from 30mg every 2 weeks until last 7.5mg tapered 2.5mg every 2 weeks. Completely off from April 2022. Feeling hugely better but still have weird feeling, muscle aches and tiredness. 

• Moderator Emeritus

As requested above please create your drug signature.  It allows members to see your drug history and gives posts you make more context when you post in other members' topics.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management