SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Himawari: Zoloft took away who I am

Himawari

Hi, I had a mild depression and mood swings in my teens. I have severe Endometriosis and PMS, so maybe that causes my depression. I started to take Zoloft in my early 30's. After being on the med for a couple years, I noticed my hands were getting stiff, so I reduced the dose in a short period of time. Then I started to experience severe anxiety, panic attack, depression and mood swings, and it put me into this strange state (depressed but had energy, agitated, and wasn't able to stay still - bipolar mix state) and had a strong suicidal ideation.   I have also tried Depakene on top of Zoloft, but my hands got stiff and had to stop taking it. I'm currently taking Lithium, carbamazepine, and Lamotrigine in addition to Zoloft, but the symptoms are not getting better. I recently had to stop taking  Lamotrigine after taking it for a month and a half, because I wasn’t able to sleep well even after taking melatonin.

I’m in the worst state in my life.  I have been in this state for about 13 years and have seen 6 psychiatrists to treat the symptom, but it hasn't improved.  One thing I know is that Zoloft is making my condition worse, and I am super sensitive to psychiatric drugs. I had a very bad side effect from birth control pills to treat Endometriosis (in my early 20's).  After half a year on the pill, my depression got worse.  I became more sensitive to feelings. I started to hear sounds loudly, and experienced a couple of panic attacks. Even after I stopped taking it, my depression didn’t get better. Other symptoms that I was experiencing were sensitivity to sounds and noises, feeling heavy and tired, big mood swings, ear ringing and chest pain.  

One of my psychiatrists suggested that I take Trintellix/Vortioxetine and Lamotrigine to taper off Zoloft.  Once I’m off Zoloft, I should taper off Trintellix/Vortioxetine as well.  I didn't take  Trintellix/Vortioxetine because I was scared of taking a new med, and also there is no guarantee that tapering off Zoloft and Trintellix/Vortioxetine would be successful.  Adding another medication didn’t sound right to me at that time. Another provider suggested that I should take Olanzapine or try TMS.  After getting such a bad experience with taking SSRI and mood stabilizer, I am extremely scared to take a new medication, or even adjust the dose of the medication that I’m currently taking. I also cannot trust doctors, because when I told my OBGYN about the side effects from taking the birth control pills, she told me that they are not common and it’s all in my head (this was back in 2000').  The psychiatrist who prescribed Zoloft didn’t warn me about the side effects at all. 

I am looking for a psychiatrist such as Dr. Jim Phelps who has treated many patients like me and also has a deep knowledge in psychiatric drugs.  I am also hoping to find a provider who takes time to truly understand my condition and be able to talk about any concerns that I have about the treatments/medications.

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded text, added spacing

- 31 years old: Started taking Zoloft 12.5mg and increased to 62.5mg.  

- 33 years old:  I noticed stiffness in my hands and started to sweat a lot. I  reduced the Zoloft from 62.5mg to 37.5mg in 2 weeks.

-36 years old: I reduced Zoloft from 37.5mg to18.75mg. 

-39 years old: I took 6 months to taper off the medication this time. When the medication became close to 0, my symptoms got worse. I wasn’t able to function anymore, so I had to increase the dose to 12.5mg. 

41 years old: Started taking lithium 100MG.  I felt slightly working on my depression, but it didn’t improve the rapid cycling and severe mood swings and agitation.

42 years old: I increased lithium to 200MG. 

43 years old: Started taking Carbamazepine 100mg to suppress the symptoms. The medication worked and my mood swing got reduced, but depression and anxiety became bigger.

years old: Added Lamotrigine 25mg to improve my depression and anxiety, but I started to wake up at night and had only 3 to 4 hours of sleep for a month and a half, so I had to stop taking Lamotrigine.   I'm still suffering from a very sever depression, anxiety, agitation (mix state) and suicidal ideation.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Himawari: Zoloft took away who I am

Himawari: Intro

I have been suffering from ultra-rapid cycling bipolar disorder for about 15 years.  It started with a mild depression and mood swings, and I started to take Zoloft.  I have severe Endometriosis and PMS, so that probably causes my depression. After being on the med for a couple years, I noticed my hands were getting stiff, so I reduced the dose in a short period of time. Then my mood swings got bigger and I also experienced the bipolar disorder mixed state.  I have been in this state for over 15 years and have seen a few psychiatrists to treat the symptom, but the symptoms haven't improved.  All I know is that Zoloft is making my condition worse, and I am super sensitive to psychiatric drugs. I had a very bad side effect from birth control pills to treat Endometriosis.  After half a year on the pill, my depression got worse.  I became more sensitive to feelings. I started to hear sounds loudly, and experienced a couple of panic attacks. Even after I stopped taking it, my depression didn’t get better. Other symptoms that I was experiencing were sensitivity to sounds and noises, feeling heavy and tired, big mood swings, ear ringing and chest pain.  I have also tried Depakene on top of Zoloft, but it didn't work. I'm currently taking Lithium, carbamazepine, and Lamotrigine in addition to Zoloft, but my symptoms are not getting better. I had to stop taking  Lamotrigine after taking it for a month and a half, because I wasn’t able to sleep well even after taking melatonin. I’m in the worst state in my life.  I have alrady seen over 6,7 physiatrists in the last 13 years. The provider I saw in 2018 told me to take Trintellix/Vortioxetine and Lamotrigine to taper off Zoloft.  Once I’m off Zoloft, I will taper off Trintellix/Vortioxetine as well, but there is no guarantee that tapering off Zoloft and Trintellix/Vortioxetine would be successful, so adding another medication didn’t sound right to me. Another provider suggested that I take Olanzapine, Seroquel, Bipresso or try ECT. After getting such a bad experience with taking SSRI and mood stabilizer, I am extremely scared to take a new medication, or adjust the dose of the medication that I’m currently taking.  I also cannot trust doctors, because when I mentioned the side effects that I experienced after taking birth control pills to my OBGYN, she told me that the side effects are not common and it’s all in my head.  The psychiatrist who prescribed Zoloft didn’t warn me about the side effects at all. 

I am hoping to find a provider who takes time to truly understand my condition.

I am hoping to find a psychiatrist such as Dr. Jim Phelps who has treated many patients like me and has a deep understanding in psychiatric drugs so he/she can find the best treatments for me.

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic and added spacing

- 33 years old:  I noticed stiffness in my hands and started to sweat a lot. I  reduced the Zoloft from 62.5mg to 37.5mg in 2 weeks.

-39 years old: I took 6 months to taper off the medication this time. When the medication became close to 0, my symptoms got worse. I wasn’t able to function anymore, so I had to increase the dose to 12.5mg. 

41 years old: Started taking lithium 100MG.  I felt slightly working on my depression, but it didn’t improve the rapid cycling and severe mood swings and agitation.

43 years old: Started taking Carbamazepine 100mg to suppress the symptoms. The medication worked and my mood swing got reduced, but depression and anxiety became bigger.

years old: Added Lamotrigine 25mg to improve my depression and anxiety, but I started to wake up at night and had only 3 to 4 hours of sleep for a month and a half, so I had to stop taking Lamotrigine.   I'm still suffering from a very sever depression, anxiety, agitation (mix state) and suicidal ideation.

• Administrator

Welcome, @Himawari

On 4/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, Himawari said:

I reduced the dose in a short period of time. Then I started to experience severe anxiety, panic attack, depression and mood swings, and it put me into this strange state (depressed but had energy, agitated, and wasn't able to stay still - bipolar mix state) and had a strong suicidal ideation.

This symptom pattern is highly typical of withdrawal syndrome. Your drug treatment ever since this happened has not been to treat a psychiatric disorder, it's been a misguided attempt to treat withdrawal syndrome.

It's very possible that you had an adverse reaction to Zoloft, you are continuing to have an adverse reaction to Zoloft at ever-higher dosages, and the many drugs you've gone on and off have worsened the dysregulation you experienced due to withdrawal syndrome.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, Himawari said:

One of my psychiatrists suggested that I take Trintellix/Vortioxetine and Lamotrigine to taper off Zoloft.  Once I’m off Zoloft, I should taper off Trintellix/Vortioxetine as well.  I didn't take  Trintellix/Vortioxetine because I was scared of taking a new med, and also there is no guarantee that tapering off Zoloft and Trintellix/Vortioxetine would be successful.  Adding another medication didn’t sound right to me at that time. Another provider suggested that I should take Olanzapine or try TMS. 

None of your doctors has a clue.

If I were you, I'd stop changing drugs immediately. What drugs are you taking, at what times o'clock and dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, 

Thanks for the info and the advice.  I am currently on Zoloft, Limas and Carbamazepine.  I recently stopped taking Lamotrigine after taking it for 1.5 month because I wan't able to sleep well.

• Administrator

What is Limas?

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Hi Himawari,

im also in a mixed state 😟😟 its horrorble.  I was in the hospital where they gave me lithium which didnt help much apart from helping with the suicidal ideation a bit. I wanted to contact Mr.Phelps aswell. Do you know what medication is best for a mixed state? 

23.2 bipolar mixed state

900mg Lithium for 3 weeks

gabapentin 100 three timesa day it was discontinued after 5 days so i took one or 2 pills for another 5 

zopiclone for 8 days ( 7.5mg one time 15). 

I left the hospital, 8 zopi at home

I took ativan (22 in total, 2 days in between)

• Administrator

Sorry, @Holly26, this isn't a site to ask about potential drug treatment. We don't diagnose or prescribe. You'll have to talk to a doctor about that, or join sites like patientslikeme.com.