Momtotwomaks11: Lexapro

Momtotwomaks11

Hello. Looking for some support, information, and hope. 
Experienced intrusive thoughts for the first time for a few weeks and scared me thinking something was wrong with me. Reached out to a psych. She basically told me to Google intrusive thoughts and recommended lexapro to help combat anxiety stemming from the thoughts. (Had anxiety for 8 years but more so stemmed around health anxiety and had always managed pretty well when it arose)

I did 8 doses of lexapro between 5-10mg. Then was taken off due to side effects. For 9 days I had nausea, dry heaving every morning, loss of appetite, heightened anxiety especially in the mornings, sweating, diarrhea, and rolling panic attacks almost daily. Was eating 10mg hydroxyzine like candy daily due to the heightened anxiety.  Was glued to the bed the whole 9 days so my psych said to stop the medication. Soon as I stopped it the insomnia started. After 5 days of no sleep she put me on 300 mg of gabapentin “as needed for sleep/anxiety”. Took it for 3 days then stopped. Soon as I stopped the insomnia started right back up. Tried melatonin. Sleepy time tea. No sleep. So she upped the hydroxyzine to 25mg and said take no more than 50 daily. Been using it at night to sleep. The last few nights I tried without it and would wake after a hour or two so would get up and take the medicine. 
Haven’t really noticed any other withdrawal other than the insomnia. Had tinnitus for one day. Ear pressure on the right ear for a few days. Headache/head pressure almost daily. Anxiety (but that’s probably due to being in a almost constant state of anxiety/panic for 2 weeks.)
I feel sad. Scared. Hopeless. 
Sad I guess wishing I had never tried the medicine and wanting my life back, especially as a single parent. Scared if I will ever feel like myself again. Hopeless that my life has been upside down for 3 weeks and not knowing when it will be better. 

March 17-19th took 5mg of lexapro

March 20th-23rd took 10mg of lexapro

March 24th 5mg of lexapro. (During this time was also eating hydroxyzine like candy due to severe heightened anxiety and panic as one of the side effects) 
Then taken off due to side effects.
March 31-April 2nd took 300 mg gabapentin to combat insomnia (insomnia started after stopping lexapro) (tried 10mg melatonin 3x and sleepy time extra tea 1x to combat insomnia and didn’t work)

April 4th-7th taking 10mg-35mg hydroxyzine to combat insomnia and anxiety

Started omega 3 and magnesium gly about 4 days ago. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Momtotwomaks11: Lexapro
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Momtotwomaks11

We have a small number of people here who have had fairly immediate, drastic adverse reactions to antidepressants, indicated by the tag "immediate ADR". After they go off, they have symptoms very much like protracted withdrawal syndrome -- but it is not protracted withdrawal, it is similar nervous system dysregulation. As in protracted withdrawal, you may find you are hypersensitive to drugs, supplements, and even foods.

Like protracted withdrawal, this very slowly resolves over many months, but when an immediate ADR was the cause, it appears to resolve faster, if you avoid upsetting your system again with more drugs, alcohol, etc. You will need to be patient and expect only very small improvements over a month.

See Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

To assist recovery, you might try strengthening your sleep with these non-drug methods:

What is the sleep cycle?

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing the morning cortisol spike

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Have you felt any effects from fish oil and magnesium supplements?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

So you think it could take maybe even only a month to balance back out?

March 24th 5mg of lexapro. (During this time was also eating hydroxyzine like candy due to severe heightened anxiety and panic as one of the side effects) 
March 31-April 2nd took 300 mg gabapentin to combat insomnia (insomnia started after stopping lexapro) (tried 10mg melatonin 3x and sleepy time extra tea 1x to combat insomnia and didn’t work)

Considering really the only symptom I’ve noticed since coming off of lexapro was residual anxiety (due to the heightened anxiety I endured on it) and insomnia.. I’m not sure if I notice a difference yet from the omega 3 and mag. I did sleep the night before with only a 5mg melatonin and mag.. that was major. Had insomnia again lastnite though. 

Ear is still sore so I had it looked at today. He said it’s a little red and seems to have some fluid.. prescribed antibiotics but nervous to take them not knowing if it would cause more delay

• Administrator

If your sleep is recovering, that's a good sign. Likely to be ups and downs. We can't predict how long it will last.

If you have an ear infection, you must get it treated, even if antibiotics are a risk in your vulnerable state.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

What is the difference between an adverse reaction and the typical starting “side effects”?

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Momtotwomaks11 said:

What is the difference between an adverse reaction and the typical starting “side effects”?

There is no difference. Doctors want you to ignore "startup effects".

So we are together in it. 

I belive something should be done with escitalopram. As I see this drug is more risky than others. Once I had adverse reaction after coaxil and as I went off after 6-7 days all symptoms dissapered. So I was not that affraid to try escitalopram. Only if I knew. 

I've stoped escitalopram after 15 days (2,5 mg 8, 5mg 7) on 19. march. From that time can't get over. My worst is strong, extreme anxiety. Every day. And insomnia. Also have heart tension problems, sweating and exaustion. 

I was using bezo and hydroxizine. 

After a month I see very small improvment. But I'm like 100 times wors then before escitalopram. I'm so scared I will end like that. That anxiety won't end. That I will never sleep normaly. 

Also I'm trying to cope with strong sence of guilt that I took the pills. Do you feel that too? It's so hard to accept. 

And we all took those pills for a reason. In very difficult moment. Now the moment is not gone, we have even more to dill with.

When I read tippering stories I am a bit jealous, because people who are quiting drugs after time have a possibility to go back. Increace dose. 

We can't do it. I know it's not that simple, I'm not compelling, please don't feel offended. I just wanted to shere my feelings. My pain. 

They should ban escitalopram. Or perscribe it more carfully. Never ever if someone had such reaction to other medicine. 

I didn’t want to go on antidepressants as my issue was short term, but my doctor told me Escitalopram is the ‘lowest dose’ SSRI, and it would take about six weeks to taper off.

It’s only the ‘lowest dose’ because it’s far more concentrated and powerful than many other SSRI’s, and it’s taken me 2 years to taper off. I’ve now stopped completely, but am still suffering withdrawal.

I honestly can’t tell if some doctors are simply badly informed or just ignorant. (I say ‘some’, as doctors I’ve seen since have been far more knowledgeable and helpful).

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

10 hours ago, Elap said:

So we are together in it. 

I belive something should be done with escitalopram. As I see this drug is more risky than others. Once I had adverse reaction after coaxil and as I went off after 6-7 days all symptoms dissapered. So I was not that affraid to try escitalopram. Only if I knew. 

I've stoped escitalopram after 15 days (2,5 mg 8, 5mg 7) on 19. march. From that time can't get over. My worst is strong, extreme anxiety. Every day. And insomnia. Also have heart tension problems, sweating and exaustion. 

I was using bezo and hydroxizine. 

After a month I see very small improvment. But I'm like 100 times wors then before escitalopram. I'm so scared I will end like that. That anxiety won't end. That I will never sleep normaly. 

Also I'm trying to cope with strong sence of guilt that I took the pills. Do you feel that too? It's so hard to accept. 

And we all took those pills for a reason. In very difficult moment. Now the moment is not gone, we have even more to dill with.

When I read tippering stories I am a bit jealous, because people who are quiting drugs after time have a possibility to go back. Increace dose. 

We can't do it. I know it's not that simple, I'm not compelling, please don't feel offended. I just wanted to shere my feelings. My pain. 

They should ban escitalopram. Or perscribe it more carfully. Never ever if someone had such reaction to other medicine. 

I had a immediate adr to lexapro after 3 pills. I’m almost 3 months in. I have seen minor improvement but not much. How long has it been since your last dose? 

Immediate adverse reaction 

lexapro 5mg 3x 1/27/22, 1/28/22, 1/30/22 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

One month. Did you have strong anxiety? Did it got less terrible? 

Do you use other drugs to help? 

Edited by Elap
6 hours ago, Elap said:

I still have pretty bad anxiety, I took buspirone but only one tablet. You’re more than welcome to inbox me if you want to talk! 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

6 hours ago, Elap said:

I tried taking other otc stuff and herbs but I found them extremely activating and made my symptoms worse. I only take fish oil now which I’m not sure I can tell a difference. Magnesium is too activating for me as well, so I bought magnesium chips for the bath. I’ve only used them once but psyched myself out so I haven’t tried it again 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

@StarShopping87

I wanna notice you that I was prescribed buspar and cipralex and I started first with buspirone, it made me aggressive and got insomnia,  crying spells,  no emotions and no motivation,  so please tapper it  🤲

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

16 June, cipralex 10mg , buspar 5mg

17 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

18 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

19 June zero dose

Just now, arielS said:

@StarShopping87

I wanna notice you that I was prescribed buspar and cipralex and I started first with buspirone, it made me aggressive and got insomnia,  crying spells,  no emotions and no motivation,  so please tapper it  🤲

I only took one pill… I think my problem was the lexapro not the buspirone, but I’m not 100%. Could have been both as they are not supposed to be taken together 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022