Altostrata

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

scallywag

Room temperature will allow the tablets to dissolve more quickly. Refrigerate after and shake before withdrawing your dose.

Elexis

Thanks guys!

Hibari

Need help in checking my math:. 

I would like to switch over to a liquid/water suspension of my dosage of Lamictal, which is now 17.50mg.   

I have both 25mgs tablets and 5mg tablets. 

I have a 10ML syringe and from reading the beginning part of this thread, this is my plan. 

Take the 10ML syringe and fill it twice with water and put it into a small container.   This would equal 20ML of water

Then fill the 10ML syringe 1/2 way with water, which would equal 5ML of water

Total amount of water-25ML

Next I would dissolve my 25mg tablet in the 25ML of water.

When it's dissolved:

First draw up10ML of liquid and take that

Then draw up 7.50ML of liquid and take that.

Does this seem correct?

artSet3561

Perfect.

I personally make up 100ml at a time in a regular kitchen measuring jug. Add two 50mg tabs screw the top on a use for a few days, saves faffing every day. Same difference ?

Hibari

Thank you for your confirmation.    With my foggy brain, it has taken me may readings to finally understand what to do. 

Hibari

Is anyone doing a hard tablet and liquid suspension combination?

If so, how do like it or find it to be helpful. 

I feel like I would like to try that to keep enough of the medication in my system as I taper.   Right now I switched completely to a water suspension for accuracy but think I may need more stability as I go lower.

ramarko

Hi SA!!

two days ago I prepared 10ml of purified water with 10mg of lexapro and the pill dissolved very fast but it always remains powder on the bottom of the small jar I am using.

I tried shaking, moving, mixing and everything and I sill see the powder on the bottom of the Translucent water.

Any advices?

If I take 1ml of this preparation it will not be at all 1mg. is there any way to have 100% dissolved liquid lexapro home made?

I also tried adding 10ml more resulting of 20ml with a 10mg pill and I got the same result... pill not dissolving 100% still powder there.

Maybe I did something wrong?

Thanks!

ChessieCat

From the very first post in this topic:

2. Measure the water (or pharmacy liquid)

• With an oral syringe: Draw room temperature (not hot, not cold) water into an oral syringe and convey it to the container. A 10mL (10cc) or 20mL (20cc) oral syringe is handy for this purpose.[br][br][br]

For example, if you wish to make 30mL of a solution, fill the 10mL syringe 3 times with clean water and inject it into your container.
  • With a graduated cylinder: For example, if you wish to make 30mL of a solution, fill the graduated cylinder to the 30mL mark and pour it into the container.
  • With a 100cc (100mL) medicine bottle: Fill carefully to the 100cc or 100mL line. You'll have to bring the bottle up to your eye level to do this. Please note the measurements on these bottles are less exact than the graduated cylinder.

To mix, put the cap on the container, tightly, and shake it gently. You will be able to see particles swirling around in the water (some of the filler used in tablets and capsules is insoluble).

Wait until the tablet chunks are dissolved before taking a dose.

Altostrata
On 11/7/2017 at 4:04 AM, Drugrage said:

i Am onsdag att really low doser and have a lot of tablets. Buying new liquid lexapro on Sweden costs anout 50 dollars and i domt need the whole bottle.

When i solve tablets in water do i get white particles which sinks to the bottom. Is this the coating or the actual active ingredient?

I dont feel comfortable just take a part of the liquid because those particles sink down really fast so if it actually is active ingredients do i have a problem.

Please read this topic from the beginning.

Jony
On 27/07/2012 at 3:44 AM, Altostrata said:

A liquid preparation of an antidepressant or other psychiatric drug makes controlled tapering much easier. Taking part of your dosage in tablet form and part in liquid form makes the transition from tablet to liquid go smoothly

This sentence made me curious...

Take 10 mg from a tablet is not the same thing that take 10 mg in liquid form from the pharmacological point of view. At least in a transition phase, since the absorption is different...Over time time it becomes indifferent, of course...

But it drives me to other question: taking 5 mg from a tablet and 4 mg from liquid, is not the same thing that taking 9 mg from liquid. I mean, each one has its own  pharmacokinetic.

How far is this important during the tapering of low doses?

kesh
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Jony said:

This sentence made me curious...

Take 10 mg from a tablet is not the same thing that take 10 mg in liquid form from the pharmacological point of view. At least in a transition phase, since the absorption is different...Over time time it becomes indifferent, of course...

But it drives me to other question: taking 5 mg from a tablet and 4 mg from liquid, is not the same thing that taking 9 mg from liquid. I mean, each one has its own  pharmacokinetic.

How far is this important during the tapering of low doses?

It probably depends on a few things.

For a long half life drug like prozac or diazepam each dose just tops up what is already in you a fraction, so if that small top up takes place over 15 minutes or 2 hours may not matter.

If you take a pill of an easily water-soluble drug on an empty stomach with a warm drink you are probably going to absorb it almost as quickly as a solution. But if you take a pill with a heavy meal and switch to a liquid on an empty stomach it's going to be very different. Or if you dissolve your liquid in a bottle of mineral water and sip it over the course of two hours, you may mimic a pill taken after a large meal.

So many variables.

JamesF

Hi, could anyone advise how to make a liquid diazepam/valium solution without using alcohol. I can buy all the correct measuring products and do the process, I'm just confused about exactly how to prepare the solution of homogenous valium liquid. 

Some say to use alcohol to dissolve it but I definitely won't do this, since I'm intolerant to it. What can I use instead? 

Thank you

Shep
4 hours ago, JamesF said:

Hi, could anyone advise how to make a liquid diazepam/valium solution without using alcohol. I can buy all the correct measuring products and do the process, I'm just confused about exactly how to prepare the solution of homogenous valium liquid. 

Some say to use alcohol to dissolve it but I definitely won't do this, since I'm intolerant to it. What can I use instead? 

Thank you

Information about the different benzos and what liquid to use is posted here:

Benzo Tapering Nuggets - liquid tapering information

I've posted with more information specific to your individual taper here in your benzo thread

JamesF
On 1/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, Shep said:

I've posted with more information specific to your individual taper here in your benzo thread

Thank you Shep Do you know how much propylene glycol would be required for dissolution per mg of valium? 

Further, I'm wondering if after dissolving in propylene glycol then mixing with water, would it be evenly distributed and stay dissolved?

JamesF

Just to add to the above. Will a propylene glycol + valium + water mix "keep" in the same state for some days after mixing ? Does it need to be stored in a particular way?

Apologies I'm not very good at finding information in my current state

Thank you. Jay

Dabhob33

I just picked up prescribed Liquid Valium (Roxane, with non alcohol suspension).  I’m currently holding at 11mg (down from 20mg since Oct 2017) for the past 2 weeks, starting 3 weeks today.  Symptoms are rough - mostly burning body, squeezed head, cog fog, fatigue, ruminating that I’ve permanenrly damage myself with the drugs I’ve taken and ECTs.  

Has anyone taken commercial Liquid Valium, even Roxane?   Reactions?   Any feedback is appreciated.   

I hope youre doing well. 

Dabhob33

Dabhob33
On 1/26/2018 at 4:11 AM, Shep said:

This is a month old, but there is a liquid Valium made by Roxane, owned by West-Ward.  They have one that uses an alcohol suspension and another using a non-alcohol suspension.  Hope this helps.   My Dr prescribed it for me and I will be starting it relatively soon.  

http://www.west-ward.com/en//Home/Content/Roxane Landing Page

dignan
I have a question regarding the halfway point of a water titration taper. I am looking to see what others have done in my situation and the results they’ve experienced.

I am presently tapering mirtazapine via water titration. I am now approaching 15mg, the halfway mark of the taper. 

Method Before the Halfway Point

I drop a 30mg drug tablet into 60/ml of water to form a drug solution. That means, for every 1mg of drug tablet, there is 2/ml of water. Up to this point, I have removed drug solution with syringes and consumed the remaining solution in the cup, the “dose.” The solution in the syringes is discarded. At present, I remove nearly half the drug solution from the cup; however, soon there will not be enough solution remaining to reliably pull up with a syringe.

Method After the Halfway Point

Do I now inverse the process? That is, do I now remove the “dose” with the syringes and discard the cup?  I mean, it looks like this is the only way to proceed. However, there are several issues with this.

Potential Issues

Removing 30/ml of drug solution theoretically removes 15mg of drug. Whether I am actually removing 15mg of drug, who knows. The most important thing thus far has been consistency as opposed to accuracy. But inverting the process causes a major shift in consistency.

1a. It seems clear I will be taking the same amount of drug solution. However, am I taking the same amount of drug? Do more or less drug particles get sucked into the syringe? 

1b. Is there any experiment to clarify this? I can see lots of white particles (the drug/filler or both) in both the syringes and cup. I am trying to see if I can evaporate the water and measure the particles left behind.

2. What about the drug left behind in the syringes? I use four syringes per taper. Even if I rinse the syringes, there will invariably be drug left behind there. This seems like a loss I must accept.

3. I am very sensitive to changes and conduct a micro taper (.05mg cuts) so a significant change to the “dose” will definitely be felt. I am concerned that the “dose” may change.

What have others done in my situation? What were the results?

Altostrata
1 hour ago, dignan said:

Do I now inverse the process? That is, do I now remove the “dose” with the syringes and discard the cup?  I mean, it looks like this is the only way to proceed.

You can do this, or you can continue with your current method.

By the way, you don't have to discard more than half of your homemade suspension, you can refrigerate it in a sealed container for the next day.

As explained at the beginning of this topic, making a suspension with water is not perfect, although many have successfully tapered with this method. We advise shaking or stirring before you take it, to distribute the particles more or less evenly.

Making a suspension with a pharmacy liquid such as Ora-Plus may more reliably distribute the particles if you are concerned about that.

Lakelander82

If you double the liquid you’re dispersing your tablet in, do you increase the margin for error or increase accuracy for that matter? I disperse 25mg of Sertraline in 25mls of water but I’m thinking of dispersing it in 50mls of water instead for ease of use. What are the moderators thoughts on this? 

brassmonkey

You would increase the accuracy.  

mariella
On 5/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Lakelander82 said:

If you double the liquid you’re dispersing your tablet in, do you increase the margin for error or increase accuracy for that matter? I disperse 25mg of Sertraline in 25mls of water but I’m thinking of dispersing it in 50mls of water instead for ease of use. What are the moderators thoughts on this? 

This is my question also and it's confusing me so much. Does the ratio matter?? For example instead of 1:1, can I do 1:2 or even 1:3?? I'm on a very low dose and it's getting complicated 

Altostrata

The ratio is essential for you to calculate how much of your drug is in 1 milliliter of liquid (or however it is that you're measuring).

You can make the liquid with any ratio, but you have to adjust your calculations accordingly.

mariella

Thank you altostrata, it will be so much easier now 🌼

Johanna

How, using the liquid water taper method, (discarding the solution in the syringes making the remaining solution in the jar the dose) does one manage when the dose gets closer to the end? Eventually there won't be enough liquid remaining in the jar to evenly pull? 

ChessieCat

You need to make your dilution with more water.

Johanna

Thank you ChessieCat. 

May I gently ask if you have completed a water titration taper? Did you change the water drug ratio during the taper? Eventually, there will be very little (drops I suspect) left in the dose jar that will be difficult to stir and pull?

ChessieCat

No I haven't used that method.  I am tapering Pristiq and get my tablets compounded.  I'll quote your post and respond in your topic.

Johanna

Thank you.

ChessieCat
39 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I'll quote your post and respond in your topic.

Please go here introductions-and-updates and create your own Intro topic so we can answer the questions you have about your own situation there.

nolongeranxiousbut

Curious about anyone who has made their own liquid lexapro. From everything I've read escitalopram isn't water soluble or ethanl soluble.  The link on the lexapro main page requires 30 ounces to dissolve 5 mg.

Escitalopram oxalate occurs as a fine, white to slightly-yellow powder and is freely soluble in methanol and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), soluble in isotonic saline solution, sparingly soluble in water and ethanol, slightly soluble in ethyl acetate, and insoluble in heptane.

Also saw this

Sparingly soluble materials are those, which have lowered solubility. Usually materials are treated as sparingly soluble if 1g of material requires 30 to 100ml of solute to dissolve. In other words, a material will be sparingly soluble if the amount which can be dissolved in 100ml of solute ranges between 1g and 3,3g.

Altostrata

Please read this topic from the beginning. We have many people who have made their own liquid Lexapro. To read about their experiences, please go to the Introductions forum and use search.

bubbles

Brand name Lexapro also exists in a liquid form, or at least it did five or six years ago. Not all pharmacies carry it where I live, so I needed to give them some notice when I wanted it. I never tried to make my own as the liquid was always available when I wanted it.

carefulprayerful

Can you use Ora Plus with Risperidone?  

Altostrata

Yes, but risperidone comes in a prescription liquid.