Rhiannon

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Bruci

I’m having a bit of trouble finding information on the forum so excuse me if someone has already answered this. 

I would like to make a suspension of Celexa for tapering. A compounding pharmacist told me that a suspension will not last longer than two weeks. Has anyone else been told this?

I am at the beginning of my taper from 30 mg down to zero. Is there a guide somewhere here on how to make appropriate suspensions without waste?

Bruci

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg after triclyclic stopped working. 1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 

2010: Work stress led to increased depression/anxiety. Tried several SSRIs but tolerated none of them. Put on Zyprexa. 

2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Prozac increased to 80 mg.

2017: Started psychotherapy. Helped a lot. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 

2019: Stopped Seroquel. Lost weight.

2020 June: Added Wellbutrin to try and correct sexual dysfunction. Could not tolerate Wellbutrin.

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

ChessieCat
30 minutes ago, Bruci said:

I would like to make a suspension of Celexa for tapering.

Check out Post #1 of this topic.

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

nayeli

Hello All,

I’m in the process of tapering Mirtazapine. Currently on 15mg and would like to taper 10% per month. 

I have a couple of clarification questions about dosage 

1. If I use a 10ml syringe, does that mean 1mg of mirt = 1ml of water? To make liquid solution for 15mg of mirt I would need to measure 10ml of water +another 5ml and dissolve the pill in that and draw up the entire solution? 

2. Would you recommend getting both a 10ml and 1ml syringe for more accurate doses as I drop below 15? 

thank you so much 

•Sept 2017- started (25mg ?) discontinued CT after a few days,  Venlafaxine (low dose, discontinued after one week due to constipation/bloating) and finally 15mg Lexapro | took regularly for a while 

•December 2018- Off and On 15 mg Escitalopram CT; added 10 mg adderall taking occasionally

2019- 10mg Citalopram for (2-3?) months quit cold turkey , also taking concerta 15mg -30mg a day for 3 months and CT

April 2020- CT marijuana/cigs-- traumatic event caused me to stop-- heavy withdrawal, psychosis, short term memory loss, insomnia

April 2020 - mirtazapine 7.5mg help with sleep/racing thoughts, anxiety, appetite 

June 2020 to present -increased to 15mg 

nayeli
18 hours ago, nayeli said:

Hello All,

I’m in the process of tapering Mirtazapine. Currently on 15mg and would like to taper 10% per month. 

I have a couple of clarification questions about dosage 

1. If I use a 10ml syringe, does that mean 1mg of mirt = 1ml of water? To make liquid solution for 15mg of mirt I would need to measure 10ml of water +another 5ml and dissolve the pill in that and draw up the entire solution? 

2. Would you recommend getting both a 10ml and 1ml syringe for more accurate doses as I drop below 15? 

thank you so much 

Any thoughts ? 

•Sept 2017- started (25mg ?) discontinued CT after a few days,  Venlafaxine (low dose, discontinued after one week due to constipation/bloating) and finally 15mg Lexapro | took regularly for a while 

•December 2018- Off and On 15 mg Escitalopram CT; added 10 mg adderall taking occasionally

2019- 10mg Citalopram for (2-3?) months quit cold turkey , also taking concerta 15mg -30mg a day for 3 months and CT

April 2020- CT marijuana/cigs-- traumatic event caused me to stop-- heavy withdrawal, psychosis, short term memory loss, insomnia

April 2020 - mirtazapine 7.5mg help with sleep/racing thoughts, anxiety, appetite 

June 2020 to present -increased to 15mg 

brassmonkey

Yes, this would work, but you will get what is called a "suspension", which is tiny particles of the tablet floating in the water. So you will have to shake liquid very well before removing any to make up your dose.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

DavidH888

Hello, Can anyone tell me how much water I should use to make a solution from 150mg Effexor HCL? Can I use distilled water?

October 2020 - Present - 150mg HCL Effexor

Most of 2019 - 60mg of Cymbalta

2011-2019 - 200mg of Zoloft

2011-2019 - 2mg Risperdone

2020-present - 5mg Abilify

2011-presnent - 2-3mg of clonazepam

Prior to 2011: Can't remember exact dates, but I was on Prozac and Wellbutrin

ChessieCat

If you haven't already done so, please check out this topic from the beginning because there is a lot of information already provided.

You can use any amount of water that you want, but it needs to be enough to dissolve the dose.  The more water you use the more accurate the dose you can get.  You can use distilled or bottled if you prefer, I'm using tap water here in Australia and it seems to be fine, kept covered in refrigerator.

As a guideline:

150mL of water with 150mg of drug will give you a 1:1 ratio.  This means that each 1mL of liquid will give you 1mg dose.

If you double the water:

300mL of water with 150mg of drug will give you a 2:1 ratio.  This means that each 1mL of liquid will give you 0.5mg dose.  Or the other way around, 2mL liquid will give you 1mg dose.

If you halve the water:

75mL of water with 150mg of drug will give you a 1:2 ratio.  This means that each 1mL of liquid will give you 2mg dose.  Or the other way around, 0.5mL of liquid will give you a 1mg dose.

REMINDER TO SELF:

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

DavidH888

Thanks for your help! Just one last question, since I have HCL capsules, should I empty the capsules into the water? Or leave it in?

October 2020 - Present - 150mg HCL Effexor

Most of 2019 - 60mg of Cymbalta

2011-2019 - 200mg of Zoloft

2011-2019 - 2mg Risperdone

2020-present - 5mg Abilify

2011-presnent - 2-3mg of clonazepam

Prior to 2011: Can't remember exact dates, but I was on Prozac and Wellbutrin

ChessieCat

Generally you empty the contents but sometimes they are hard to open and sometimes some of the contents gets stuck inside.  The gelatin capsule may not "dissolve" because you will be using cold water.  Gelatin dissolves/melts better with heat.

If you can't get the contents out you could try putting in the whole capsule but it would be better without.

Edited by ChessieCat

REMINDER TO SELF:

My tapering program

ChessieCat

Well I received my two graduated cylinders today, both 100mL volume, plastic.  One of them has a wobbly base.  I've even placed in hot water then put it into a flat based container, pressed down on it and poured refrigerated water over it and it still won't sit flat.  I'm going to request a refund for one of them because it's not accurate, which is exactly why I was buying them.  😏

Edited to add:  I was able to take a fairly good photo showing that the bottom wasn't sitting properly and the seller has refunded me half of the money so I've only had to pay for the okay one.  I've put it aside as a spare in case I ever need it (might come in handy for something else - if I throw it away I'll end up needing it or finding a use for it 🤣).  I did think of trying to file off some of the bottom but didn't think it was worth the effort.  However, I did find that if I press the base to the table it will sit flat long enough for me to pour in the water and measure it.

Edited by ChessieCat

REMINDER TO SELF:

My tapering program

ChessieCat

Well I used my graduated cylinder for the first time this morning and found it difficult to get the exact amount of liquid measured.  I tried using the second (faulty) cylinder to top it up to the 100mL mark but it was difficult to control the amount of liquid I tipped in.  So I had a bright idea 💡:

HELPFUL TIP:  When using a graduated cylinder it can be difficult to fill it to the exact measurement you need.  To make this easier to do, use a medicine eye dropper so you can gradually add more water a drop at a time.

TA DAH!!!

REMINDER TO SELF:

My tapering program

ChessieCat
On 10/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, DavidH888 said:

Thanks for your help! Just one last question, since I have HCL capsules, should I empty the capsules into the water? Or leave it in?

@DavidH888

I did a test this morning and put my empty gelatin capsule into water (straight from the tap) to see what happened.  It softened but did not dissolve.

REMINDER TO SELF:

My tapering program

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy