1r0nm0us3: Long term psychotropic drug user with no real expected results

1r0nm0us3

Hello there, pleased to meet you.

I have no much to say at this moment... I even graduated as a psychologyst in order to understand what was wrong with me.

You can see my whole psychotropic trip for the last 15 years (currently 39).

While a few meds seemed to work at first (Clomipramine and Paroxetine), they didn't do their supposed "magic" on the long term.

Basically I'm trying to get my life in order without going back to any antidepressant / antipsychotic.

What I'm dealing the most these days is performance anxiety and insomnia.

Any tips or articles would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

I lost count on my combos and dates, but basically, I have been on:

Antidepressants: Clomipramine, Paroxetine, Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Fluvoxamine, Agomelatine and Mirtazapine.

Antipsychotics: Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, Brexpiprazole.

Benzos & Z Drugs: Clonazepam, Zolpidem and Eszopiclone.

Diagnoses: OCD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia.

Currently on: 2mg Clonazepam at night + 10 drops of Cannabidiol.

• ChessieCat changed the title to 1r0nm0us3: Long term psychotropic drug user with no real expected results
On 4/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, 1r0nm0us3 said:

Hello there, pleased to meet you.

I have no much to say at this moment... I even graduated as a psychologyst in order to understand what was wrong with me.

You can see my whole psychotropic trip for the last 15 years (currently 39).

While a few meds seemed to work at first (Clomipramine and Paroxetine), they didn't do their supposed "magic" on the long term.

Basically I'm trying to get my life in order without going back to any antidepressant / antipsychotic.

What I'm dealing the most these days is performance anxiety and insomnia.

Any tips or articles would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Hi there @1r0nm0us3

welcome to SA. I don't think anything is wrong with people having mental health issues - in my experience they have usually had trauma in their lives and have sometimes learned bad habits of mind to cope with difficult and sometimes unbearable circumstances.  For others it is just difficult life circumstances that they are going through - breakups, death, bullying etc. Life is hard. So, nothing is wrong with you to fix. You don't have a chemical imbalance [that myth has been debunked by the way]. 

It is no wonder that ADs didn't work for you - multiple studies have shown that they are no better than placebo. 

"In the data sent to us by the FDA, only 43% of the trials showed a statistically significant benefit of drug over placebo. The remaining 57% were failed or negative trials. Similar results have been reported in other meta-analyses" says Prof Irving Kirsch of Harvard, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/. He also found (others too) that 82% of the effect that is achieved by ADs is also achieved by the placebo and even that difference he thinks is due to people figuring out that they are taking the active ingredient drug during the trials rather than the placebo (breaking trial blinding). At this point even if ADs didn't have WD effects, I would not take another one. 

We don't really provide tips for dealing with MH issues but have a section about how to deal with emotional symptoms of withdrawal. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants. Have you ever heard of Claire Weekes? Many of our members find her teachings very helpful. 

I am personally a huge fan of therapy - I like Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS) which you can apply yourself as well. If you want to, I'd recommend first reading the original (1992?) book by Richard Schwartz and then some self-therapy books by Jay Earley. I also liked EMDR if you are dealing with trauma or adverse childhood experiences. Both these methods I find transformative rather than just teaching coping skills, though coping skills are also important.

Hope this helps. 

OMW

PS. It would be really helpful if you completed your drug signature with a bit more detail for at least the last 2-3 years if you want advice on withdrawal and/or tapering. 

Edited by Onmyway

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@1r0nm0us3

Thanks for joining and I hope you find help and support here. 

I am very much in agreement with @Onmyway in her views on the thin evidence that ADs and antipsychotic meds do much to change things for us. 

I think the weak spot in our mental health journey is the sleep disruption and if all natural ways of getting quality sleep fail, I have kept on a Micky Mouse dose of quetiapine. 

However if you are not aquatinted with the podcasts of Joanna Moncrieff I would urge you to watch them. She is especially versed in the inappropriate use of antipsychotics and in her books points out the lack of evidence for ADs as well. 

The bottom line is that bad things happen to good people and reaching the core issues that have morphed our lives adversely must be a better way than taking meds that often have profound adverse effects on our metabolism as well as out brains. 

Best wishes 

OD 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing.