TryingHard: tapering clonazepam

Tryinghard

Hello All

I am mother of 5, turned 40 this year Ihave been on anti deps and anti anxiety meds since 2002 multiple trials of weaning off led me to reduced meds fron 2014 -2017 but not a day I have been completely off meds since 2002

I am on so many meds that I feel there is no hope of getting off completely but even lowering dosage will do

Start of April I tried to reduce clonazepam just by 0.15mg and started having anxiety and brain zaps had to go to same dose

I have to try again in May guided by my psychiatrist but Brain Zaps throw me off literally and I start having panic attacks I feel it is totally impossible hence i was searching for success stories on google and landed here.

Right now after being stable I haven't done any changes to my dosage and since two days getting brain zaps

Any help,advice,support is much appreciated 

Love and prayers

Started on fluoxetine hcl in 2002

Been on a roller coaster ride since then

From 2014 - 2017 was on lamotrigine 25 and escitalopram 10

From 2018 and current

escitalopram 10 mg twice daily, lamotrigine 25mg twice daily, effexor 75 mg twice daily, risperidone 0.75 mg at night and 0.5 mg in morning and clonazepam 0.25 night and 0.125 morning daily

@Tryinghard

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off of psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now in the healing process.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, why do you take Escitalopram, Lamotrigine and Effexor twice a day? So you take a total of 20 mg Escitalopram, 50 mg Lamotrigine and 150 mg Effexor a day? The take 0.75 mg Risperidone and 0.75 mg total Clonazepam a day? I just want to make sure that we have the correct information.

We don't suggest tapering more than 10% a month, and some people go a lot slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Brain Zaps

We recommend tapering the SSRI first. Please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Pay close attention to the concept of "brakes and accelerators" - that will explain why it's best to taper the escitalopram first.

Here is a link that may help speak with your dr about this:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I'm going to give you some links to read on tapering off everything else you are currently on:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Tips for tapering off lamotrigine (Lamictal)

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. We have found that magnesium and omega calming to some. If you want to try them, try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

I hope I have answered some of your questions. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Why: 2002 had severe depression, nervous breakdown due to some family issues, loss of my grand mother 

2018: severe anxiety attacks had to go almost cold turkey due to first trimester of unexpected pregnancy( it was unexpected also contributed to this as mentally I was all done with family) my psychiatrist was not available went to multiple but no one could do anything except introduce new meds like prothiaden, mirtazipine and effexor. .e.t.c my condition deteriorated and I went mute.when I finally had access to my psychiatrist he weaned me off additional meds and now this is what I am at 

Correction: RISPERIDONE 1Mg i take 3/4 qt night and half in morning, CLONAZEPAM 0.5 mg(rivotril) I take half at night and less than qtr in morning all rest is correct sorry for my calculation error

All the guide and links you have sent seem super helpful I will go through them all

Tapering PLAN: my psych wants to reduce my 10 mg escitalopram in morning to 3/4 from MAY 3 According to his plan I should have reduced my 1mg risp from half to qtr in morning from April 3, I tried but started having zaps and anxiety so I went back

This all is so confusing

Oh and I have hashimotos hypothyroid

Sometimes I can go one month with WS sometimes not even one day

I was looking at my file on 6/18/20 I was at 15 mg escitalopram at night which has now been reduced to 10mg at night

It's risperidone and clonazepam that seem to hit me hard and instantly

Finally Thank You just having the feelingnof being heard means a lot

From 2018 and current

escitalopram 10 mg twice daily, lamotrigine 25mg twice daily, effexor 75 mg twice daily, risperidone 0.75 mg at night and 0.5 mg in morning and clonazepam 0.25 night and 0.125 morning daily

@Tryinghard

I hope you read the links provided before you have the dr taper you the way they know. Unfortunately, they don't know anything about tapering and most likely you will have bad withdrawal symptoms.

I was just asking why you took the medications twice a day, and not just once a day?

Please let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help you with.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

As prescribed by psych I have no idea why he put me to twice 

So I was reading the links how will I go about cutting 10% of 20mg daily escitalopram will it be same as taking 3/4 in morning and 1 at night (each 10mg)

He wants me to be on this dose for 2 months meanwhile I will have cut down my risperidone for 1 month so do I wait for risperidone and clonazepam

Do you want to see my prescription it is all too confusing

From 2018 and current

Also since 2 days I have not cut any meds but i am having brain zaps, and I am scared that maybe it is a signal I need more meds?

From 2018 and current

Posted (edited)

@Tryinghard

Brain zapps are a very normal wd symptom. Especially when you are tapering too fast.

No, taking 3/4 in the morning and 10 mg in the evening is not 10%, it is 25% and way too fast.

If you take 10 mg in the morning, tapering 10% would mean you would take .90mg, not .75 mg (that would be 3/4).

It all on weighing and measuring also. 

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Help with math for tapering

Edited by Frogie

Now when I look at prescription I think my dr is going way too fast and multiple at once

So I have established the fact that he is going by qtr and not by percentage which is not good

I don't have a weight scale and don't think Gemini is available here 

So first I have to decide which one should I do first? The thread you sent me had mixed views

Please help me decide should I go multiple like doc suggested but by percentage 

Or should I do escitalopram first and then ridperidone and clonazepam 

GOD I am like all kinds of meds at once!!

this seems impossible to me

From 2018 and current

If I plan to cut clonazepam 0.125 in morning by 5% it will be 0.00625 mg

What pill weighing machine would you guys suggest

First step to order pill scale

From 2018 and current

• Moderator Emeritus

Brassmonkey did his whole taper using a Gemini 20 scale and got down to very low doses.

* * * * * *   PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO   * * * * * *

Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq    Post 0 updates start here

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you.

Thank You!!

From 2018 and current