ellav:Is tapering off of risperidone necessary after 10 days?

Hi all,

posting on behalf of my 17 year old son. He has ASD (Level 1), OCD, and ADHD. He is not psychotic but has severe intrusive thoughts. He had a bad day and we ended up in the ER. The pediatric psych prescribed .25mg of risperidone twice a day. He started in 4/25.

He wants off. Can’t blame him. In retrospect it seems like a pretty heavy-handed drug for someone who’s never taken meds before. (SSRIs not recommended). Do we need to taper since it’s only been 10 days? His dad gave him 1/4 dose today bc we haven’t gotten a call back from our psychiatrist. But he said it immediately made him anxious and he doesn’t want to take anymore at all? Anyone with similar story or insight? 

Risperidone .25mg 2x a day

start 4/25/22

taper 5/5/22 25mg 1x

• Frogie changed the title to ellav:Is tapering off of risperidone necessary after 10 days?

@ellav

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site that help people taper off psychotic medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

We normally don't like to speak with anyone but the member themselves because it makes it really hard to "relay" information back and forth. Is there anyway your son would be willing to write on here and let us know exactly how he feels, especially when he does take this medication? 

Your son could try to do a rapid taper. Take 3/4 of the dose for a week, then 1/2 of the dose for a week, then 1/4 for a week and see if that helps with the wd symptoms. Even being on for 10 days his body has become accustomed to the medication by now.

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

If he has too many wd symptoms after this, he could reinstate a small amount and hold then taper at a really slow speed. We don't suggest more than 10% a month.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

He could also try a small amount of magnesium and omega. They sometimes help with the nervous system. If he wants to try them, try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks so much. This information is very helpful. He will log in later and post here. He’s having a rough day. Not with withdrawal (not seeing any symptoms of that yet), but with the OCD. But he’s adamant about not taking this med. He’s currently taking magnesium and fish oils anyway, so hoping that helps.

We’re starting neurofeedback in a week or so. And he just started with l-theanine. Thanks again. 

Risperidone .25mg 2x a day

start 4/25/22

taper 5/5/22 25mg 1x

@ellav

Glad I could help. And so glad he agreed to come on board with us so we can help!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.