SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Muscle and joint stiffness, aches, pain or weakness

Maybe

I do not know if this is the right thread, though I have also some new problems with my foot muscles.

Around 2 or 3 months ago, I was using a pedal boat with a friend when I was feeling quite fine. Problem is, I got sore muscles in my feet which took 3 to 4 weeks!!! to go away. And now my left foot is weird, i cannot use it 100% correctly. Hard to describe, but it flaps around somehow.

I am really losing my faith in recovery and my enjoyment of life. Physically I was 100% fit, trained and feeling great.

Is there anyone who had "only" physical symptoms that far out and still recovered? Most of those who have recovered spoke of improvements earlier or at 2 years out, but I get even worse.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

Maybe, this could be a physical issue. Perhaps you strained a muscle. I would go to a good chiropractor and get some treatment and exercise suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, this is a physical issue. But I think it is caused by wd. Never ever had sore muscles for 3 or 4 weeks. That is very unnatural.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Qiurk,

I dont have "only" physical Symptoms that far out,but "many".

For example, when I m playing the drum,or even wash some shirts by hand my fingers still get blue afterwards (bruises),

or if I carry the baby from my friend sometimes my arm hurts for days really bad.Lower back pain comes and goes,

stiff neck all the time,pseudo arthritis in my knees comes and goes.A few times I had very sharp pain under my foot and so on.

.....I m tired of counting all the stuff and I also don t freak out by it.But of course some days it is really hard to bear.....Unfortunately I m hypersensitiv to accupunctur,but I enjoy a warm bath for muscle tension or getting a massage.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hey Solida,

I just would like to know what we can do to help our damaged cns to heal. There must be something.

Why do other people heal faster? It would be so good to have some recovered persons on this board who could give some advice on what they did and what may have helped them.

It seems you also have many weird symptoms like I do. This is so very annoying...do you do some sports?

I remember when I was in hospital, we did sports for 15 minutes in the early mornings and on the average I had a really good time there. I felt much better than I feel now...for 3 long months!!!

• 6 months later...

Is it normal to have achy joints while tapering?

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

Yes Mam...

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've certainly been having a problem with being stiff and achy, but I wasn't sure if that was due to withdrawal or all the time I spent in bed at the beginning. It's a relief to know that this too will eventually go away!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

JEmima, have you ever heard that SSRIs cause fibromyalgia or CFS? Wondering if its that or ebsteinn barr flaring....

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• Moderator Emeritus

JEmima, have you ever heard that SSRIs cause fibromyalgia or CFS? Wondering if its that or ebsteinn barr flaring....

I think fibromyalgia has been mentioned as a side effect in a posting here, but I'll be darned if I remember where. (I don't know what CFS is.) Whatever medical problems you may have, in my opinion you can pretty much bet that antidepressants and withdrawal therefrom will aggravate each and every one.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Moses...

Aches and pains are a huge WD symptom. I learned how to get rid of them by laying down wit a nice comforter and letting the heat release the pains. Worked every time.

I have the Epstein-Barr Virus which shows up periodically. For me stress reactivates it. So does sleep deprivation.

I have to be running on empty for quite awhile for it to resurface. WD symptoms and EBV mimic each other. I have been able to differentiate. Rest is the answer for me. An entire afternoon on the sofa with a book, TV and the comforter.

EBV also causes anxiety/depression just like WD....

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

WD symptoms and EBV mimic each other. I have been able to differentiate. Rest is the answer for me. An entire afternoon on the sofa with a book, TV and the comforter.

That's interesting. I have a friend who was given Prozac for Epstein-Barr and she's been on it for years. (She asked when she could quit taking it, and her doctor told her to continue with it forever.) Now I wonder if the doctor thought that since Prozac seemed to work for depression that it would cure EBV.

Am I correct in thinking that Epstein-Barr Virus is the medical term for mononucleosis?

• Moderator Emeritus

WD symptoms and EBV mimic each other. I have been able to differentiate. Rest is the answer for me. An entire afternoon on the sofa with a book, TV and the comforter.

That's interesting. I have a friend who was given Prozac for Epstein-Barr and she's been on it for years. (She asked when she could quit taking it, and her doctor told her to continue with it forever.) Now I wonder if the doctor thought that since Prozac seemed to work for depression that it would cure EBV.

Am I correct in thinking that Epstein-Barr Virus is the medical term for mononucleosis?

You got me wondering if this is the reason I don't see Dx for mono so much any more. See the http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mononucleosis/AN00661 take

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

You got me wondering if this is the reason I don't see Dx for mono so much any more. See the Mayo Clinic

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

You got me wondering if this is the reason I don't see Dx for mono so much any more. See the Mayo Clinic

Now I'm *really* confused. According to the CDC, EBV will turn into mono for 35-40% of adolescents and young adults, but is otherwise without symptoms. My friend was 51 when Prozac came on the market and I'm not sure if it was prescribed for her right away. Why on earth would this doctor give her a prescription for a virus that has no symptoms? Do I hear quacking in the background??? :blink:

• Administrator

Just want to mention that achy joints can be caused by tight muscles; taking magnesium helps relax muscles, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker.

Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to keep those joints hydrated.

Now returning you to the conversation about EBV....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Anyone suffering, suffered from intense muscle aches? Mine started in the right neck/shoulder a few weeks ago - I thought it was from some focused sewing I was working on - and has gotten worse, at times excruciating.

Thnx,

Pandora

06/12 - Tapered off Cipralex. 30mg/Lithium 600mg/Epival 500mg

Very difficult time with 3-month taper off all drugs.

11/12 - Doc prescribed clonazepam 1 mg. for insomnia

01/14 - Clonazepan taper from 1 mg to .75 mg, then liquid microtaper to .638 mg. Depersonalization, extreme fatigue, muscle aches off/on.

05/15 - Switched to dry cut at .625 mg. Ok for 2-3 weeks, then same strong symptoms. Holding .625 mg.

06/15 - Switched over to liquid dosing .3125 ml 2x/day, 11 am & 11 pm.  Symptoms mild and no sleep issues.  Holding .625 mg/day.

10/15 - down to .530 mg. clonazepam in 4 months. .265 mg 2x/ day @ 10 am/10 pm. 

11/15 - holding at .528

11/15 - started microtaper to relieve persistent w/d symptoms

01/16 - microtaper not improving things; extremely sensitive to slightest decreases 

02/16 - holding at .524. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I started getting really nasty, arthritic-like pains in my hands and hips a month or two into withdrawal. That persisted for several months, but now, nine months since my last crumb of Lexapro, the pains are gone. I think aches and pains are a fairly common side effect of antidepressants, a side effect which gets worse in a too-fast withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anyone suffering, suffered from intense muscle aches? Mine started in the right neck/shoulder a few weeks ago - I thought it was from some focused sewing I was working on - and has gotten worse, at times excruciating.

Thnx,

Pandora

Yes my muscles can get very taught to the point of intense pain. I have learned to use a myo facial release roller on pressure points and it can really make a difference. My calves and hamstrings are the worst. I frequently have jaw pain and have found that once I release the hamstrings ( when I sit on a pressure point I can feel more pain radiating in my jaw and face than my butt!) .. everything being connected. If the roller is too expensive and you don't want to go out on a limb I used a tennis ball cut in half for a long time. I still use a whole one sometimes when the pain is just a nuisance so I'll lie on it on my side in bed.

Sounds crazy but I swear by "releasing" the muscles. It sure works for me.

Oh. And if you are talking about "aches" like deep down to the bone type ache ..not muscle taughtness... the above mentioned technique is useless. I get that too when I am extremely tired , wake up from a long nap or sometimes when the air pressure drops or ascends rapidly. Can't help you there. Aleve often times won't even work for that. I just get bitchy. Doesn't help but no one gets in my face and bothers me anyway!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thanks for the input. I was remembering earlier these same painful muscle aches when I was on Celexa. They occurred every now and then, and I thought every time it was the start of the flu, which of course never came.

I get so sad now, thinking about all the things I felt, all the ailments and the almost-flu and the brain zaps after missing just one dose, particularly of Cipralex/Lexapro. And I never imagined it was the poison, I blamed my weak immune system.

Sigh.

06/12 - Tapered off Cipralex. 30mg/Lithium 600mg/Epival 500mg

Very difficult time with 3-month taper off all drugs.

11/12 - Doc prescribed clonazepam 1 mg. for insomnia

01/14 - Clonazepan taper from 1 mg to .75 mg, then liquid microtaper to .638 mg. Depersonalization, extreme fatigue, muscle aches off/on.

05/15 - Switched to dry cut at .625 mg. Ok for 2-3 weeks, then same strong symptoms. Holding .625 mg.

06/15 - Switched over to liquid dosing .3125 ml 2x/day, 11 am & 11 pm.  Symptoms mild and no sleep issues.  Holding .625 mg/day.

10/15 - down to .530 mg. clonazepam in 4 months. .265 mg 2x/ day @ 10 am/10 pm. 

11/15 - holding at .528

11/15 - started microtaper to relieve persistent w/d symptoms

01/16 - microtaper not improving things; extremely sensitive to slightest decreases 

02/16 - holding at .524. 

I have noticed my usual back pain gets a lot worse when I'm not doing well. I think it is muscle tension combined to greater pain susceptibility caused by withdrawal. Stretching, exercise, and massages help somewhat.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

my joint pain started about 5 years ago while on effexor. When I was on the name brand in 2004, there was no problems. It wasnt until I got on effexor the second time that I started noticing knee problems. Things really got bad when I purchased a generic brand from a canadian pharmacy that came from India. I immediately had jaw pain, knee pain, and other pains. Since then, I have had joint problems. I then switched to zoloft and the severe joint pain eventually became manageable, but the zoloft made me feel ill and weak. Once I got on celexa, I added things like tumeric and fish oil and other things which helped a lot. I think the tumeric did a lot of good. Anyways, I have been off drugs for a year now and the joint pain is bothering me. When i first got off, it wasnt so bad. Then I began getting severe pains in my shoulders and jaw. Things sort of leveled out and right now my main issues are hip pain, thumb, ankle, wrist. Do you all think I should go see someone about this? Perhaps there is an underlying issue here. I am only 28 and cant imagine already having arthritis.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Moderator Emeritus

It is very possible that your joint pain is related to withdrawal - but also possible that you may have some kind of lingering virus that causes arthralgia. A blood test could show if you have any antigens or if your ESR is elevated (which often if there is some kind of inflammatory response going on in the body)

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I had nerve pain before I was ever on any psyche meds. However, it was after I started taking meds that I developed severe facet joint pain in my lumbar and thoracic spine. Nothing shows up on MRI or Xray. I think there is a connection.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

It is very possible that your joint pain is related to withdrawal - but also possible that you may have some kind of lingering virus that causes arthralgia. A blood test could show if you have any antigens or if your ESR is elevated (which often if there is some kind of inflammatory response going on in the body)

this is one thing that has crossed my mind--is there some kind of virus or bacteria causing this? Is this test expensive? How can I get it? I dont have insurance :(

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Hi there!

I am having knee pain/discomfort, which makes me unstable when I stand on my feet, like having a hard time balancing on them, and feeling discomfort and strain in the knees. The knees seem to snap back and forth, like they are loose, and its hard to stand firmly on the feet. Sometimes I feel sharp pain in the bottom of my knees, below the knee cap. It usually gets more severe in the evening. It is just a discomfort to stand up on my feet. It seems fine when I sit or lye down, maybe just a little discomfort, barely noticeable. The real thing is when the pressure of my body presses on the knees when I stand.

Can this be related to withdrawal? I heard that you can get joint pain, but can it manifest like the above symptoms? OR could I have messed them up while exercising?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vas

What kind of exercise have you been doing and how much?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I was doing mostly gentle exercise like qigong, and before the pain started, I was doing a still standing practice in total about 1 hour a day (more like standing meditation)(it wasnt a continuous 1 hour, but more like 20 min several times a day). I was doing it because it calmed me down at the same time. Now I think that that much practice could have strained my knees. In standing so much in this posture, I sometimes collapsed the proper alignments without noticing, and at the end of the session my knees felt stiff and took a minute to get to normal. Once I noticed the pain though, I stopped the exercises, and within a week the knees felt better, but I also did some salt baths for that. After that I reinstated the exercises but I dropped the long standing practice in favor of some movements and for less time. And now I feel this pain in the knees that I described above again. So I stopped the new exercises as well yesterday, and today I still had the pain, and in the evening it became worse.

Right now I think its more likely caused by mispractice of these exercises... but, at the same time I want to exclude that the pain could be brought by widhtrawal.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

And why I suspect it to be withdrawal is:

1. After I have resumed qigong with no standing and just a few movements each day, my knees felt ok for a few weeks. Then, while doing the same exercises the knee pain started all of a sudden again.

2. the knee pain started around 3-4 weeks after the cut last time and its the same period this time as well.

Thus, at first I thought it might be that I overstrained them somehow doing the exercises. But with these above facts, I suspect the withdrawal too. So I want to ask if anyone experienced or has heard of such symptoms in withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

So I want to ask if anyone experienced or has heard of such symptoms in withdrawal.

I heard of those types of symptoms because of knee strain.. sound kinda familiar actually.

According to martial arts instructor Dave Coffman, traditional Chinese martial arts poses are pigeon-toed. This means you stand with your toes pointed slightly inward. Qigong is no exception. Standing with toes inward can put significant stress on the knees, leading over time to knee pain and loss of mobility. Instructor Jeffery points out that many modern tai chi and qigong schools have adjusted their postures to include less stressful foot positions.

• Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm, I wonder if this would also be true for a low dose of an antipsychotic.

If the knee pain was caused by overstrain, shouldn't the pain be constant and not on and off for a few weeks?

This, and also the fact that it happened twice exactly 3-4 weeks after the cut, really makes me think it's the withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

After that I reinstated the exercises but I dropped the long standing practice in favor of some movements and for less time. And now I feel this pain in the knees that I described above again. So I stopped the new exercises as well yesterday, and today I still had the pain, and in the evening it became worse.

Sounds like you have an injury, so when you became active again it flared up. Injuries to ligaments can take several months to heal. Hope you feel better soon.. I guess if you stop the exercise and your knees once again feel better you will know.

I guess I will stop anyway, even if its withdrawal. I dont think its a good idea to exercise when the knees hurt, either way...

If it's withdrawal is it supposed to go away faster than a few months? THat way I can know it's withdrawal... or how else can I know if I am injured or it's withdrawal? I am a little confused how to solve this mystery.

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess I will stop anyway, even if its withdrawal. I dont think its a good idea to exercise when the knees hurt, either way...

If it's withdrawal is it supposed to go away faster than a few months? THat way I can know it's withdrawal... or how else can I know if I am injured or it's withdrawal? I am a little confused how to solve this mystery.

The odds are that it is not withdrawal.. from your description, it is acting like a ligament injury and it coincided with your exercise regimen. The problem with making an incorrect assumption is you could keep reinjuring your knee. I had an elbow injury from swinging a golf club and hitting the ground. I had just started on the golf course and was not very good so would hit the ground when missing the ball. My elbow started hurting.. I was like you and thought it should go away.. so I pushed it for a few weeks, nothing dramatic, but enough. I thought being careful was good enough. Well, it took eight months to heal because I did that.. so err on the side of caution. You may need to use extra care for awhile, as stresses that previously caused no problem may activate the injury. I hope you heal up soon.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy