Hope42: sertraline and benzo cold turkey

Hope42

Hi and thanks for letting me in.

I would like to hear from others, who suffers a lot from physical pain in withdrawal - possibly also from anybody who did a cold turkey from both antidepressants and benzos.

My story short. I got sertraline two times. First for 1.5 year, then 8 months break, and then I got it for half a year, before I stopped cold turkey. Among all that, I also took zopiclone for 5 years (benzo-like sleeping pills). These I also cold turkied 4 months after sertraline. It's now been 14 months since I stopped sertraline and 10 months since I stopped zopiclone.

I stopped because, I functioned very poorly. It became harder and harder to take care of work and my three kids (I'm alone with them every second week). I realized that maybe I functioned poorly because of the drugs, and that's why I stopped. I couldn’t find any other explanations.

Since then, I still suffer from fatigue, burning pain in my brain and body (like someone poured acid in my brain/body), muscle and joint ashes (especially in arms, legs, hands and feet), head aches, brain pressure, chest pain, stomach issues. In the morning it is so bad that it takes me an hour or two to get out of bed. I really try to be active, but it is soo hard to do anything with all the pain and fatigue. I had a doctor saying I got Fibromyalgia, but I think my self that it is protracted withdrawal syndrome. The symptoms are just similar, I guess.

I really don't have so much windows and waves pattern. It's awful most of the time, and then - maybe - there is a very seldom window lasting a few hours, before next day, It's awful again. It has been like this since I withdrawed from sertraline the first time, and got much worse when I reinstated and did a vold turkey

Can anybody relate to all this? 

Thank you so much for any support.

Zopiclone: Summer 2016 - July 1st 2021. 3.75-7.5 mg. Stopped cold turkey.

Sertraline: Sep 2018 - Dec 2019. Max dose 100 mg. Tapered over the last 6 months.

Sertraline: Oct 1st 2020 - Mar 1st 2021. 25 mg. Stopped cold turkey.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hope42: sertraline and benzo cold turkey
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Hope42

I am sorry to hear you've had such a bad time. Did these symptoms start after you went off sertraline or the zopiclone? What effect did going off zopiclone have?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My symptoms started when I came out of Sertraline the first time. They were, however, not as bad as now. The first time I also tapered relatively slowly over 7-8 months.

After 8 months off, I unfortunately started on Sertraline again. In the beginning they helped really fast. I think that I might have been in withdrawal already then, since reinstating helped on stabilizing me.

After two months or so, the burning pain and fatigue started slowly and got worse over the next 3 months. 

I then realized that all my pain maybe originated from the medicine, and then I just stopped with Sertraline cold turkey.

However, that didn’t help. My condition continued to worsen. I then turned my attension to the zopiclone I had been taking for 5 years. Found out it was a benzo-like atagonist (which I never realized before that), and after reading about all about that, I cold turkied the zopiclone as well. That is now 11 months ago.

My condition has not improved since then. As I sit here, I have burning pain all over my body and in my brain.

I couldn’t tell whether it was the Sertraline or the Zopiclone, which have started all my problems. I guess it might have been a combination of both.

Due to the short half time of Zopiclone, I guess that I also have had interdose withdrawal or tolerance from this - maybe in years - so maybe the Zopiclone could explain why I became more and more sick.

However, from day one, I started Sertraline, I got terrible side effects with a burning brain - so I guess I couldn’t tolerate this med as well.

As I didn’t experience any improvements from going off either of the two, I can't tell whether my problems came from Zopiclone or Sertraline or whether the combination of the two just ruined my CNS in some way.

That's why I ask here. Are there anyone with similar experiences? I am really scared that this will never go away again. The pain and suffering is tremendous...

Sertraline: Sep 2018 - Dec 2019. Max dose 100 mg. Tapered over the last 6 months.

• Administrator

Did anything change when you went off zopiclone?

I know you don't feel well, but we need you to do this: Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

No - not much changed when I went off zopiclone. I think I might already had interdose withdrawal/tolerance from this for a loong time. But It’s hard for me to say whether It’s the sertraline or zopiclone. Probably it's both. A very bad mixture.

• Administrator

When did zopiclone stop helping you to sleep?

Most likely, you have protracted withdrawal syndrome from going off sertraline.

• 6 months later...

Are there anyone out there who also suffers from a lot of physical pain after 22 months off?

• 3 months later...

HI Everybody
I am 21 months off zopiclone and 25 months off zoloft, and still suffering so badly. It's non-stop, 24/7, and after a year it just got worse. Can anybody relate?

It's hard to describe how bad my symptoms are. My pain level is constantly 9-10. Doctors can't find anything, of course...

Could really use some stories about others who experienced something similar. I have of course read all the success stories, but I can only find a few, where there are similarities...

My symptoms:
Severe constant burning pain in brain and whole body,
Severe constant headaches. Shaking brain. Dizziness.
Feeling of acid in my brain, veins and muscles

Severe neck pain, like it's broken (it's not...)
Feeling of electric waves going through my brain and body
Pain in ear, tinnitus
Blurry distorted vision
Shaking and inner trembling
Muscle pains and stiff muscles in arms, hands, legs, feet.
Chest pains, hard breathing.
Acid burning skin
Dry mouth, sore throat, difficult to sink, acid burning in throat.
Stomach pain and nausea.
Flu like/fever feeling
Inner terror.
Suddenly ice cold hands and feet
Insomnia, toxic sleep.
Wake up every morning in a state of pain and terror

Hi @Hope42, I'm moving your post from the Symptoms forum here. We like to keep your history in one place. Moderators check your intro post but not the S&S forum.  Please post things related to your own history on this thread. If a topic exists in the S&S forum already - such as 'How Long will withdrawal last? You can add to it. 

You may find these links helpful.

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

OMW

Edited by Onmyway

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Ok - but it seems that it's really hard to get any replies here?🙏

@Hope42, best way to connect with others is offer them support and they usually offer that in return - you can look at people's intros. You may not be getting replies because there isn't really much to say - this can go on for years as described in the thread above, it can be excruciatingly difficult at times but people heal over time albeit slowly. You will heal too.  

I also see that you didn't respond for a long time to a moderator request so it's possible that they just didn't follow up after. 

You basically get what you put in on forums like this.

OMW

Edited by Onmyway

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Thanks🙏 - I don't know what it is I didn’t respond to. 

• 6 months later...

I have the same symptoms you describe.

April 2020 - floxed by Cipro

Pregabalin on and off for the remainder of 2020

May - Nov 2020 trazodone 

Sept-Oct 2020 - trials of different antidepressants that backfire (escitalopram for 3 weeks, trintellix for 3 weeks, adverse reaction to Cymbalta)

Feb 2021 - I quit pregabalin and never touch any psych meds ever again

July 2022 - almost healed, living my life

Aug 2022 - clomiphene makes me worse than ever, I get pregnant 

Nov 2022 - fosfomycin makes me even worse

May 2022 - medicated c-section, after a 2,5-month long window, 5-6 weeks after the c-section slowly thrown into worst hell ever, still getting worse