peaceandlove: adverse reaction after one pill

peaceandlove

7 hours ago, Carmie said:

Yes, our good ol’ nervous systems cause a lot of havoc, 

These meds certainly affect our whole bodies, everything is connected to our CNS. We seem to be in constant fight or flight mode. I hope the adverse reaction from the medication slowly settles so that your digestive problems settle too. 

I can’t actually cure my autoimmune condition, even with the help of an integrative Dr, as there’s no cure, but I can try to get it into remission again. I had a flare up about nine months ago and it’s not settling. My immune system only attacks my lungs and I’ve been struggling to breathe ever since this flare. The vax triggered it, though all sorts of things can trigger it. I can’t get boosters now. I’ve also had chronic fatigue syndrome for nearly thirty years too, that’s certainly a CNS issue as well, so while I’m on these meds there’s no hope of getting over this because of how these meds have me on hyper alertness all the time. 

Again, I wish you all the best in your recovery from your adverse reaction. It’s amazing how one pill can cause so much havoc. 

Take care🧡

yeah I never knew how important the CNS is until I developed anxiety disorder  & everything didn’t work correctly anymore lol. Wish they would teach that & mental health in school so I could of avoided all this but I’m not surprised I mean even these doctors don’t even have knowledge about it. 

Ahw ok I see. Well I hope it goes into remission soon then & you get it under more control. Breathing problems are no fun. I can relate with the reflex.

thank you 💕

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

Noticed today of feeling dizzy & when I eat the feeling goes away. Then comes back again later

i read on here that’s normal for withdrawal that it causes low blood sugar??

do I just eat to fix it Everytime lol

Not too worried about it though. I had this symptom before about a year ago when my anxiety attacks were really bad I freaked out & went to the doctor. Everything was fine & it eventually went away as my body healed

I now have what seems to be rosacea on my face. My face is red around the upper checks. Eyes look weird too. & forehead a lil too. Just looks inflamed. I would be freaking out but this is obviously from the withdrawal adverse reaction symptoms?? I have never had this in my life. & see other people have had this too when I search it on the forum. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had this 

my eyelids were also swollen 

Hi @peaceandlove

What does your diet currently comprise?

Sometimes there may be temporary, passing gut issues that cause the sorts of symptoms you describe. 

Food intolerances come and go during the recovery period. For example, I had to switch to a low-histamine diet for a while, then it got better. 

It's usually nothing to worry about, just part of the healing process.

In my unprofessional, personal experience, skin issues are very often to do with gut healing in progress. The gut plays such a central role in both brain and immune communication/function.

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride writes about this in her GAPS books. If you have access to these via public library or purchase, they have a lot of useful, inspiring information. 

See also this topic:

Try not to worry. Take care of yourself and manage any anxiety by using non-drug coping techniques. 

This is temporary, it will pass.

In the meantime, I'd suggest treating your skin very gently. Use only fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, organic soaps and cosmetics or forego cosmetics altogether. Rule of thumb: if it's not food-grade, if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin. Try to avoid exposure to all artifical fragrances, e.g. scented candles, air fresheners, etc., as these can irritate your skin and mucus membranes even without direct contact, just being in the same room. Unscented, organic, all-natural, food-grade almond oil is a good option for moisturizing, if you need it. Stay out of the sun during the day. Use only fragrance-free, hypoallergenic laundry detergent, same for dish soap and any other cleaning supplies. Treat your body and your environment with the same conscious, conscientious care as one might enact with a baby. 

If you are looking for relief from discomfort, I'd suggest any sort of cold stimulus, e.g. cold water bathing/plunge/shower, ice packs, washcloth soaked in ice water, etc. I find this really helpful. 

As much as possible, leave your skin alone and let it be, let it breathe. 

I know we so often have this impulse to do something, and when it comes to skin flare-ups and break-outs, in my personal experience, less is definitely more. 

If I were you I'd investigate possible dietary interventions, go the route of the gut, and try to refrain from topical skin treatments.

Hang in there, peaceandlove. It gets better <3 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having Constipation what can I do?? Have you guys experienced this. Can I take a laxative??

also seems like this thing give me a yeast infection?? What can I take for that?? I haven’t had one in YEARSSS all of a sudden it’s itchy down there lol wth

what is going on is this Candida 

@peaceandlove

17 minutes ago, peaceandlove said:

I’m having Constipation what can I do??

When you say constipation, what do you mean exactly? Is it a matter of BM frequency, consistency, quantity, quality, etc.?

When did the constipation start?

How was your digestion prior to the onset of constipation?

What is your daily diet?

Have there been any objective changes in the past few weeks, e.g. dietary changes, supplements, more or less or different exercise, holidays, weather, life events, etc. etc.?

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

10 hours ago, Ariel said:

@peaceandlove

When you say constipation, what do you mean exactly? Is it a matter of BM frequency, consistency, quantity, quality, etc.?

When did the constipation start?

How was your digestion prior to the onset of constipation?

What is your daily diet?

Have there been any objective changes in the past few weeks, e.g. dietary changes, supplements, more or less or different exercise, holidays, weather, life events, etc. etc.?

my diet has been the same idk I think it just from withdrawal honestly. & like just a lil coming out at a time is what I mean lol. But I got some fiber powder hopefully that will work? You mix it with water 

also my reflex has moved from my throat/sinuses to more lower now it’s more heartburn & in my chest/stomach. 

Hi @peaceandlove

The purpose of my questions is to help determine cause, so as to better discern and facilitate appropriate courses of action.

Whether or not constipation is caused by WD in general, there are many possible reasons why one might be constipated, and different ways one can be constipated.

For example, constipation may be related to diet/food intolerance; gastroparesis; slowed motility; hydration and fluid regulation (e.g. hormonally influenced); dyssynergic defecation (anismus); pelvic floor tension; tight psoas; etc., etc. All of the above, and more, could be related to WD, and yet they are still distinct from each other and may respond best to specific, targeted forms of treatment.

Same principle goes for symptoms such as acid reflux, heartburn, etc. 

Sometimes it's worth it to take some time to track symptoms, pay attention to the details, and think about possible connections. 

I speak from personal experience, which has taught me to err on the side of caution and careful analysis. Especially in WD, when my system is so sensitive, I'd rather not just throw solutions at something to see what sticks and risk a reaction. I may risk a reaction anyway, but at least I will have thought things through and come up with a temporary strategy that is compatible with a harm reduction approach. 

If you'd like assistance with that please feel free to let me know. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with these uncomfortable symptoms and hope you feel better soon. 

In solidarity and support,

A.

I have a GI appointment tomorrow & probably will schedule an endoscopy. Are we allowed to be put to sleep or should I do it without the drugs?? 

I was just informed I have bacterial vaginosis & of course will need to take medication for it. I am scared won’t this mess me up even more??

mind you I haven’t got bacterial vaginosis in like 4 years & I only used to get it from my ex from sex. I am celibate now. Clearly something is off in my stomach from this withdrawal

The drug is “Metronidazole”

• ChessieCat changed the title to peaceandlove: adverse reaction after one pill
  • Moderator Emeritus

Are you familiar with Drugs.com

Plug your drug in the top search box there and read on up, and decide. 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:21 PM, peaceandlove said:

I have a GI appointment tomorrow & probably will schedule an endoscopy. Are we allowed to be put to sleep or should I do it without the drugs?? 

I might wait, if it was me, and see how I'm doing after whatever treatment I decided on for the bacterial vaginosis.  You might be pleasantly surprised that your other symptoms improve.  It's possible.  Everything matters, and yah........I would sure treat the vaginosis......if it was me.  It's possible it's related to some of your other GI/GU symptoms.

Just go to the appointment tomorrow.  Ask if the doc would advise full sedation for the endoscopy?   I'd be surprised if they do "full sedation".  You might be jumping ahead with your fears and worries and workups.  One thing at a time.  Only guessing here, but they might just use a short acting relaxing drug for a procedure like that.  I mean find out how long of a procedure it is.  Use your doctors......talk to them.  And begin to empower yourself.

Don't be afraid to search on your own too.  Scroll down from the Home page to Symptoms and Self Care......check out some of the topics there.  

Type in your browser, on your phone or computer/laptop/notebook,  any topic with survivingantidepressants.org added to it, or at the start and you'll find more to empower yourself with.

I just did:  survivingantidepressants.org Irritable bowel syndrome

And voila'  Irritable bowel syndrome: What you can do

Also for the persistent anxiety and fears:

try: typing in your browser:  surviving antidepressants.org fears, anxiety, health anxiety

You'll find more topics that help you learn more and more non-drug coping to mitigate fears/anxiety/panics

I'm sorry it still feels so intense some 3 months out from your adverse reaction.

And glad you got your genitourinary(GU) system checked out.  Oddly enough that infection could relate to some of the GI issues.

So good job in taking the plunge and seeing a doctor.

I think you have every chance of complete healing sooner rather than later.  I think you might need to get after the anxiety/panic that peaked even before the Celexa reaction......in non-drug ways. You've gotten some really good input here on your thread. 

Okay......Love, peace, healing and growth to peaceandlove.....

I'm sure we were meant to meet and I'm cheering for your better days to arrive promptly!

Best,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 months later...

How are you doing @peaceandlove?

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

10 hours ago, Erimus said:

How are you doing @peaceandlove?

Not too good. I’m almost 6 months out.

overactive bladder 

rashes on face

dark circles under eyes 

Increased acne 

intrusive thoughts that aren’t mine

pain everywhere/sore muscles feels like I got hit by a car 

sensitive to bright lights

waves of anxiety/depression 

fatigue 

dizzy even when sitting down

Etc

But thanks for asking. How are you? 🙂

On 8/5/2022 at 7:29 PM, manymoretodays said:

Are you familiar with Drugs.com

Plug your drug in the top search box there and read on up, and decide. 

I might wait, if it was me, and see how I'm doing after whatever treatment I decided on for the bacterial vaginosis.  You might be pleasantly surprised that your other symptoms improve.  It's possible.  Everything matters, and yah........I would sure treat the vaginosis......if it was me.  It's possible it's related to some of your other GI/GU symptoms.

Just go to the appointment tomorrow.  Ask if the doc would advise full sedation for the endoscopy?   I'd be surprised if they do "full sedation".  You might be jumping ahead with your fears and worries and workups.  One thing at a time.  Only guessing here, but they might just use a short acting relaxing drug for a procedure like that.  I mean find out how long of a procedure it is.  Use your doctors......talk to them.  And begin to empower yourself.

Don't be afraid to search on your own too.  Scroll down from the Home page to Symptoms and Self Care......check out some of the topics there.  

Type in your browser, on your phone or computer/laptop/notebook,  any topic with survivingantidepressants.org added to it, or at the start and you'll find more to empower yourself with.

I just did:  survivingantidepressants.org Irritable bowel syndrome

And voila'  Irritable bowel syndrome: What you can do

Also for the persistent anxiety and fears:

try: typing in your browser:  surviving antidepressants.org fears, anxiety, health anxiety

You'll find more topics that help you learn more and more non-drug coping to mitigate fears/anxiety/panics

I'm sorry it still feels so intense some 3 months out from your adverse reaction.

And glad you got your genitourinary(GU) system checked out.  Oddly enough that infection could relate to some of the GI issues.

So good job in taking the plunge and seeing a doctor.

I think you have every chance of complete healing sooner rather than later.  I think you might need to get after the anxiety/panic that peaked even before the Celexa reaction......in non-drug ways. You've gotten some really good input here on your thread. 

Okay......Love, peace, healing and growth to peaceandlove.....

I'm sure we were meant to meet and I'm cheering for your better days to arrive promptly!

Best,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Thank you so much & sorry for the late reply 

Every month that passes is a month closer to healing. I think with the adverse reaction the first 6-12 months can often be quite intense. You’ll notice over time that you transition to a windows and waves pattern as opposed to seemingly endless suffering. Just keep plodding along, try and distract yourself when you’re able. 

I can relate to the pain at the moment. I’m yet to find a solution to that, other than time I guess. I’m much more mentally present these days but physically very bad. It’s just the nature of recovery. We will all recover, tat’s the only thing I know is certain.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 2:16 AM, Erimus said:

Every month that passes is a month closer to healing. I think with the adverse reaction the first 6-12 months can often be quite intense. You’ll notice over time that you transition to a windows and waves pattern as opposed to seemingly endless suffering. Just keep plodding along, try and distract yourself when you’re able. 

I can relate to the pain at the moment. I’m yet to find a solution to that, other than time I guess. I’m much more mentally present these days but physically very bad. It’s just the nature of recovery. We will all recover, tat’s the only thing I know is certain.

thank you. I mostly have waves. It’s hard to do anything but be at home. I can’t wait for long windows. 

how is your acid reflex doing? & How is your lpr?

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh 6 months & currently in a big wave. I’m tired of feeling anxious for no reason, depressed for no reason, intrusive thoughts that aren’t mine & body aches all throughout my body & tension. Depersonalization, Fatigue, burning skin etc 

Ugh 6 months & currently in a big wave. I’m tired of feeling anxious for no reason, depressed for no reason, intrusive thoughts that aren’t mine & body aches all throughout my body & tension. Depersonalization, Fatigue, burning skin etc

Feeling the exact same symptoms right now.

Jan 2022 - Bupropion 150mg XL - adverse reaction after 7 pills.

15 hours ago, BupropionAdverseReaction said:

Feeling the exact same symptoms right now.

Ugh yeah you’re not alone. I feel your pain. Do you get any windows at all ?

I’m so tired of these acid reflux/lpr/ indigestion symptoms whatever you wanna call it. I gain my weight back then lose it all again once these symptoms come back 😩😩😣 It’s such an uncomfortable feeling 

• 3 weeks later...

Came to the conclusion before all of this I had “visceral hypersensitivity” which is what caused my lpr feeling & all my GI tests to come back normal. Just very sensitive nerves. People with lpr usually heal with ssri/mediation. Which is why I took the pill to cure it but then I had this reaction who knows if this reaction was due to my already super sensitive nerves…

• 2 weeks later...

I’m pretty sure I have sibo @Altostratai go to a functional doctor but not until 2 more weeks. I have all the symptoms. I see you cured yours, do you have any advice? & how long did it take you to cure it?

• Administrator

Any advice I might have is on this site. Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Small steps of progress @peaceandlove. As time progresses you’ll notice you start to tick off more and more symptoms. Make sure to keep a record of symptoms so you can see which have gone away, I know it helped me to look back after 6 months and see the improvement.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

On 12/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, Erimus said:

Small steps of progress @peaceandlove. As time progresses you’ll notice you start to tick off more and more symptoms. Make sure to keep a record of symptoms so you can see which have gone away, I know it helped me to look back after 6 months and see the improvement.

thank you. Yes I keep a journal. Now only if my indigestion, acid reflex, bloating, ibs symptoms would go away next 😔 it’s like my body is unable to digest the food, especially big meals, is this the same symptom you had? @Erimus

Yes. I was exactly like that for many many months. I thought I would never be able to eat properly or enjoy food again. But here I am, I can eat what I want and rarely think about the near-constant acid reflux and GI issues that plagued me for so long. I promise things will improve, you just have to keep pushing on one day at a time. I am testament to that.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

On 12/31/2022 at 1:58 AM, Erimus said:

Yes. I was exactly like that for many many months. I thought I would never be able to eat properly or enjoy food again. But here I am, I can eat what I want and rarely think about the near-constant acid reflux and GI issues that plagued me for so long. I promise things will improve, you just have to keep pushing on one day at a time. I am testament to that.

Yes It’s very scary to go through this. I’m in pain everyday eating is no longer fun. thank you so much for the reassurance. But how long did it take you? It’s been 8 months already for me 😩

Yes It’s very scary to go through this. I’m in pain everyday eating is no longer fun. thank you so much for the reassurance. But how long did it take you? It’s been 8 months already for me 😩 Even water causes reflex @Erimus

Obviously each one person is different, but I think it was around a year before being able to eat reasonably well again.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

12 hours ago, Erimus said:

Obviously each one person is different, but I think it was around a year before being able to eat reasonably well again.

Ok cool. Thank you so much for the all the replies & help 🙂 

I seen an other adverse reaction user (“maybe) say in their bio that their acute withdrawal lasted 3.5 years. How do we know we are done with acute withdrawal ? & what’s the difference between that & PAWs withdrawal 

i thought acute was only a few weeks - a few months and then after that it’s considered paws

Although there is no definitive test for withdrawal, it is generally accepted that post-acute (or protracted) withdrawal is when symptoms persist beyond 6 months.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

Cool ^ thank you for answering. Also, me & another member on here that has digestive issues too we’re talking about trying the Gaviscon but it says not to take it if you have constapation? lol. I know you suffered from that with the reflex at the same time & was wondering if you were fine with taking the gavison even if you had bowel issues ? @Erimus