SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

OnixFellar: does paroxetine / Paxil withdrawals get you extreme anger?

OnixFellar

does paroxetine / Paxil withdrawals get you extreme anger? (and about narcissistic mother)

Hello,

I am 24 year old male with panic disorder. I was on various anti-depressants for panic disorder from 2017, after my dad passed away on 2016 but from past 4 years (19-22) I am on Paroxetine CR 25mgBut I feel like sometimes it stops working and everything becomes irritating and you see I have a narcissistic mother who will don't let a single opportunity to waste to anger me. I tried many time to get off it by going to lower dose 12.5mg but the withdrawals were worst. Even if I take anything like vitamins or eat have a lemon for C in morning it really get worse. I currently taper myself to 12.5 from 25mg again (I thought I could handle it this time) by doing meditation  and it was bit helpful at start but now the things getting now bit tough. and I am kind of worried that withdrawal will stay longer.

Questions:

should I keep taking the lower dose and suffer for a bit if the withdrawals are not gonna last longer or should I revert to the original dose of 25mg?

&

Are the extreme anger and irritation a withdrawal symptoms or is it me? (I can't even stay in the same room as my mother) 

I am literally scared to my core with the anger and irritated I feel with all the taunts and manipulation by my narcissistic mother I had suffer every single day for 24 years. It breaks my heart to see how much I have suffer from her and continuing so, I am 24 and good in programming but currently have no job and until I get my own place which is extremely hard I have to stay with her. 

Contact me anytime, We could support each other

Instagram: onix_fellar

Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before reducing original
  • ChessieCat changed the title to OnixFellar: does paroxetine / Paxil withdrawals get you extreme anger?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear you are dealing with a narcissistic mother, as well as trying to taper off of psychiatric drugs.  I can relate to what you are going through.  I, too, had a narcissistic mother, and she also taunted me and tried to make me angry all the time.  Are you having any other issues besides anger? How is your sleep and your eating?  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Off Paxil

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Since this is already pretty long, I will make another post with resources on how to deal with a narcissistic mother.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Youtube has some wonderful channels that will help in dealing with a narcissist.  Here are some links to them.  I suggest you search on "gray rock" on these channels.  That will help you learn to not get as angry when dealing with your mother.  There is lots of other good information about narcissism besides just the gray rock technique.  

https://www.youtube.com/c/DoctorRamani

This channel is run by a man who had a narc mom: 

https://www.youtube.com/c/NarcissismSurvivor

https://www.youtube.com/c/SurvivingNarcissism

https://www.youtube.com/c/InnerIntegration

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheRoyalWe

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am really touched by how helpful you are been. I really felt relief that my problems with my narcissist mother are not unique. Thanks for everything. Seriously.  

2019-2021 Pari CR 25 (Paroxetine), Venlor XR 75 and Soltus 50 (once before bed daily)

I stopped Soltus after using it for a year. 

I stopped taking Venlor in mid 2021 by decreasing it to half 37.5 Venlor XR 75 and now I do not take it for over a year and a half now. You see, in my country regulations are not very strict so I just asked for lowest dose of Venlor and that's how I get my hands on Venlor 37.5. I got withdrawals but some how I got through it and it was the best decision I ever took.

2019-present : Pari CR 25 (Paroxetine) (once before bed daily)

I have 5-6 failed attempts to taper down Paroxetine maybe because I was tapering to much or too fast. First attempt cold turkey and then half of the regular.

before 2019 (2018-19), I was on and off on many anti-depressants. I am extremely sorry but I don't recall their names or quantity and do not have any documentation or prescription. 

Current situation:

- on 20th May 2022 I tried to take half a dose (12.5mg) from what I take regularly (25mg). I gone well and relatively mild for 5-6 day but then slowly the withdrawals got unbearably intense. So brain zaps, Insomnia, extremely weird and senseless dreams, feeling like going crazy, anger, emotional breakdowns, Ice pick pain on single point on right side of head a week later (now) and etc.

- I learned from my previous attempts to taper and also happening now is that even if I take something as normal as Vitamin d, or just a lemon juice the withdrawals get extremely bad.

- I really want and need to cry to let all the toxins out of the system but I just couldn't.

- I couldn't tolerate heat at all. And in my nation the heat wave is reaching at 50 D.Celsius, and even in night time it is 38C highest in the century. For months I kept going by pouring water on my head. We are getting AC now so it will no longer be an issue.

- I take Alprazolam 0.5 as an SOS. I took it late time (a week ago) when the withdrawals has gone bad and I need to stop my panic attack.

- I am forgetting things a lot. I was good at math but I lately I feel like I am struggling. I feel like my brain power has lowered by the years I been on these drugs.    

- I don't feel like myself or normal. It hard to explain how I am feeling but I feel 

- I cat is currently in heat and almost keeps in wake all night with irritating meowing. It got so bad that I get afraid to go for toilet in middle of night because it wakes him up. I am working on this issue and likely will get solved.  

- Two days ago I fell sick. Just normal fever and weakness.

- Even though I am back again on my regular dose of 25mg, the withdrawals are not seems to go away.

- There is thing I do mentality where I imagine bad things in my mind and then thing of them going away. But it has become very ritualistic and I don't feel comfortable not doing it I feel like it could be something OCD etc. Intrusive thought just make it worse. I had to to that for like every thought.

Could I?: 

I was thinking if I could dissolve the pill in water and keep it in fridge and then measure with a dropper or syringe like a compound pharmacy. Could it be the best way to taper?

The thing I am most fearful of:

I read the links above. Thing I am most afraid of is the withdrawals or the drug itself might kill brain cells or damage the brain. I am in field of science and space science has always been a dream goal for me and afraid that this might take away the only thing dear to my heart. Is there anything I could do to prevent it from happening?

I am not at my best but I hope I am able to express myself and format everything properly liked you asked.

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, OnixFellar said:

- Even though I am back again on my regular dose of 25mg, the withdrawals are not seems to go away.

Q:  What date did you start taking 25mg paroxetine again?

Q:  How have your symptoms changed after you started taking 25mg paroxetine again?  Have any of your symptoms improved?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, OnixFellar said:

Could I?: 

I was thinking if I could dissolve the pill in water and keep it in fridge and then measure with a dropper or syringe like a compound pharmacy. Could it be the best way to taper?

It is possible to my your own liquid using paroxetine tablets.  You can keep it in the fridge for about 3-4 days, covered in a dark container.

11 minutes ago, OnixFellar said:

the withdrawals are not seems to go away.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  When we have taken the drug away too quickly and then updosed, it can sometimes take 3-4 months before you are stable.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I get extreme withdrawal, If I took any supplements.

Hello,

So basically I unfortunately got covid-19 5 days ago for the second time after 2 years, and I am also on Paroxetine 25 for like 4 years. Please checkout my last posts you details. But the thing is whenever I take any supplements or vitamins I get withdrawal symptoms. Because of covid-19 I decided to take some vitamin d for immunity but I got horrible withdrawal symptoms, even if I a a fresh lemon juice I get small amount of withdrawal symptoms. I want to add that it was not like this in past. I used to take vitamin d and felt good actually while on the anti depressants. But I started to get this issue like from a year ago. I will really appreciate any help. 

Thanks.  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature.  Follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

4 hours ago, OnixFellar said:

But the thing is whenever I take any supplements or vitamins I get withdrawal symptoms.

Q:  What supplements have you tried taking and at what dose?

We have SA members who find that they are sensitive to supplements.  SA recommends starting with a small dose and only trying one thing at a time; ie not a complex.

Some supplements seem to be more activating/stimulating than others.  B vitamins, especially B6 may cause this.  Also, Vitamin D is a daytime vitamin and should be taken in the morning; however, some members find that even if they take it in the morning it can affect their sleep.

• 1 month later...

Any vitamins supplements or even lemon juice and masturbation get me into Paroxetine withdrawal symptoms

Hello,

Paroxetine is one of the worst thing ever happened to me. I been taking it (25mg) roughly for 5 years, tried to stop Paroxetine many time by cutting dose in half and failed terribly with extreme withdrawals. Please check out my few older post for total history.

The main reason I am writing this because I haven't totally seems to be recovered from my last attempt 2-3 months ago, when withdrawals got worse I got back to my my regular dose of 25mg but whenever I took any supplements, lemonade, stress or even masturbate my withdrawals seems to get worse. Brain zaps, nightmares, anger and irritation comes back. No one is taking about this. I will really appreciate any replay, just knowing someone other there going through the same as myself is enough for me.

I want to add that all these years on Paroxetine my sex drive was extremely low but now it feels around normal level again, but when I do pleasure myself the withdrawals get super bad . I feels like the meds have stopped working. IDK

Thanks. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Hello @OnixFellar

(New topic that Ariel mentioned has now been merged with onixfellar's Intro so I have deleted reference to here)

By the way, I'm noticing that you don't have your drug signature set up. It's very useful to the moderators and also to regular members such as myself.

Would you mind setting up your drug signature, please? You may need to use a computer to do this. 

I see that both getofflex and ChessieCat have requested this and sent helpful links:

On 6/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please create your drug signature.  Follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm sorry you are experiencing withdrawal syndrome and that you have recently also had Covid. 

I wish you a steady recovery and the best of luck on your healing journey,

A.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed mention of new topic which has now been merged here

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 11:51 PM, OnixFellar said:

does paroxetine / Paxil withdrawals get you extreme anger? (and about narcissistic mother)

Hello,

I am 24 year old male with panic disorder. I was on various anti-depressants for panic disorder from 2017, after my dad passed away on 2016 but from past 4 years (19-22) I am on Paroxetine CR 25mgBut I feel like sometimes it stops working and everything becomes irritating and you see I have a narcissistic mother who will don't let a single opportunity to waste to anger me. I tried many time to get off it by going to lower dose 12.5mg but the withdrawals were worst. Even if I take anything like vitamins or eat have a lemon for C in morning it really get worse. I currently taper myself to 12.5 from 25mg again (I thought I could handle it this time) by doing meditation  and it was bit helpful at start but now the things getting now bit tough. and I am kind of worried that withdrawal will stay longer.

Questions:

should I keep taking the lower dose and suffer for a bit if the withdrawals are not gonna last longer or should I revert to the original dose of 25mg?

&

Are the extreme anger and irritation a withdrawal symptoms or is it me? (I can't even stay in the same room as my mother) 

I am literally scared to my core with the anger and irritated I feel with all the taunts and manipulation by my narcissistic mother I had suffer every single day for 24 years. It breaks my heart to see how much I have suffer from her and continuing so, I am 24 and good in programming but currently have no job and until I get my own place which is extremely hard I have to stay with her. 

Contact me anytime, We could support each other

Instagram: onix_fellar

Thanks

Hello there, I just want to say you are not alone that happened to me and when I masturbate symptoms back for two weeks If you read my story you can find out why and how I got ads !!! So recently I went to another Dr and he gave me clomipramine so far is not so good but tolerable some how , I think Iam going through all of pills symptoms slowly and clomipramine helps me I feel less pressure of symptoms. 

Fluoxamine/Levox 200 mg

Clonazepam/Klonopin 0.5 mg gm

Trazodone 50mg Sreqel 25mg

Bospar 5 mg

Nortriptyline 25 mg

All meds above abrupt (cold turkey)after 6 weeks of use in 2022

All of them from February 2022 to March 2022 and normally used! Had wild signs

Every day from March 2023 until now

Clomipramine/anafranil 25 mg daily

50 mg clomipramine/anafranil nightly

Night 7.4 Mirtazapine/Remeron