Sonny71: Paxil withdrawal struggles

Sonny71

I apologize in advance for the long winded post while trying to keep it as short as possible...Been on so many AD's over the years since being diagnosed (hospitalized) in 1996 with MDD and severe OCD (rumination) Did inpatient ECT treatment in 2009 while on Zoloft as well...I couldn't remember all the timelines and noticed I forgot a few meds when signing up...Months ago I was struggling on a dose of 60mg Paxil combined with Lamotrigine 250mg.....Seemed like the meds had lost effectiveness which has happened many times over the years usual 3-5 is the most I get out of a med...Been on Paxil/Lamotrigine approx 7 years this time and this combo is 1 of only 3 that had worked effectively since 1996 with alot of struggling in between.Anyway started taking some naturopathic stuff that seemed to help and decided to come off the prescription meds thinking if I could be stable great if not I needed to switch anyway.From past experience in my case when meds stop working or don't work they do more harm than good.

When my Doc had me increase the lamotrigine I realized it was aggravating a psoriasis skin condition so I tapered off that.(likely way to fast)....After a few weeks off lamotrigine I started reducing my Paxil dose of 60mg...Went to 50mg for a week,then 40,then 30 and I was feeling great,as good as I ever have...Ignorance truly is bliss as I had NO idea what I was about to be in for...I reduced my further to 20 then 10 after each week still feeling pretty good.Within a week my anxiety gradually soars,can't sleep,brain zaps when moving eyes,nausea and to make matters worse my sense of taste has gone haywire....I eat because I have to but don't enjoy eating anything and can't stomach the taste of some foods I once loved.

March 18th was my last dose of Paxil at the time...I looking online for what had helped other people (benadryl,Nyquill,green Gatorade) at various places when I came across this site and thankyou in advance for having it.

2 Days ago after 2.5 months the withdrawals were not easing up so I reinstated 10mg of Paxil hoping to alleviate the withdrawal...So far my anxiety has diminished and I can sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time...I'm a self employed mechanic and the past 2 months have been crazy busy and I needed to do something to get some relief as the withdrawals were not letting up anytime soon although the brain zaps were far better and few and far between.

My biggest concern at the moment is this nasty taste to food and obviously I need to get some sleep as I'm still working.Very tired and not feeling great but all things considered not bad,just running out of energy and hope to get stabalized for awhile..I have a Doctors appointment next week and am looking for some advice in advance as I try to come up with a plan moving forward....Any input is appreciated

1996-2001 Zoloft 50mg to start increasing to 200mg 2001-cross taper switch to effexor to 225mg-2002-cross taper switch to Paxil to 80mg 2002-Lamotrigine titrated up to 200mg

Between 2002-2009 was briefly on Risperidal (2 days),Prozac 20mg 1 week,Cymbalta (1 week) Luvox (2 months) ending up on Zoloft again where I stayed on at 200mg....Welbutrin added for 2 days and discontinued.Pristique (2 days)

2009 ECT treatment while on 200mg Zoloft 2010-Cross Taper to Remeron started at 15mg titrating up to 60mg and stayed there for approx 3 years.

2014-Rapidly stopped Remeron over 2 week period

2014-Luxox started after approx 2 months off all meds and increased to 225mg.Anafranil added stopped after 3 days

Jan 2015 started 20mg Paxil/50mg Lamotrigine.Lamotrigine increased slowly to 250mg and Paxil increased to 40mg after 4 months(relapse) then to 60mg (relapse)

Stayed on 60mg Paxil and 250mg Lamotrigine until fast tapering approx 3 months ago.

Reinstated 10mg Paxil May 29 2022

Increased Paxil to 20mg June 11 2022

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sonny71: Paxil withdrawal struggles
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm glad you found us.  We can give you some suggestions to help you with your situation.  I believe that your symptoms were caused by tapering very fast off of the Paxil and the Lamotrigine.  We at SA believe that tapering 10% of your current dose very 4-6 weeks to be a safe way to taper off psychiatric drugs. 

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

It sounds like your reinstatement to 10 mg Paxil is helping you.  Please stick with this same dose at the same time each day, for a bare minimum of a week, preferably longer, before changing your dose again.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

This reinstatement may take several weeks to a couple of months to completely stabilize your system and help you.  After this time, you can then resume a very gradual, 10% taper.  Patience is the key for a successful taper. 

Keep us posted on how you are doing, and we can help you by discussing any future dose changes with you.  Take care! 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thankyou for the reply.I'll try to get some info on my med changes the past couple years...Basically started on Paxil for the second time (was on years ago but stopped due to side effects)......Started on 20mg then after 3 months had to increase.After another few months rinse and repeat.At 60mg I then stayed for the past 6-7 years I've been on it.The Lamotrigine was started at the same time at 200mg and after a few years was bumped to 250mg.I did go up to 275mg in December I think which is when I began getting a small rash on my elbow aand realized it aggravated my psoriasis on my lower legs even more.

Since stopping the Lamotrigine my psoriasis is now back to a few small patches and better than it has been in ages.The constant itching on my whole lower leg is gone!

Reinstating the 10mg Paxil seemed to help a bit for sleep for a day but my sense of taste is still out of whack except for a couple brief hours 2 days ago at night...Sleep last night was an issue again and anxiety has returned...I'm managing...If my sense of taste were to return to normal I would likely feel alot better,the awful taste 24/7 is very annoying to say the least and chewing gum,losanges,etc has little affect.

Hoping things will start to come around in time.The last time I stopped Paxil and Lamotrigine quickly I had some headaches that disipated quickly,anxiety.etc but never had the taste issue but at that time I was on the meds for approx a year...This time I have been on them a far longer time.

I will try to get some definitely timelines and doses for the meds and keep you posted on how the next few days go.Hoping I can hold off having to increase the Paxil again.

1996-2001 Zoloft 50mg to start increasing to 200mg 2001-cross taper switch to effexor to 225mg-2002-cross taper switch to Paxil to 80mg 2002-Lamotrigine titrated up to 200mg

Between 2002-2009 was briefly on Risperidal (2 days),Prozac 20mg 1 week,Cymbalta (1 week) Luvox (2 months) ending up on Zoloft again where I stayed on at 200mg....Welbutrin added for 2 days and discontinued.Pristique (2 days)

2009 ECT treatment while on 200mg Zoloft 2010-Cross Taper to Remeron started at 15mg titrating up to 60mg and stayed there for approx 3 years.

2014-Luxox started after approx 2 months off all meds and increased to 225mg.Anafranil added stopped after 3 days

Jan 2015 started 20mg Paxil/50mg Lamotrigine.Lamotrigine increased slowly to 250mg and Paxil increased to 40mg after 4 months(relapse) then to 60mg (relapse)

Stayed on 60mg Paxil and 250mg Lamotrigine until fast tapering approx 3 months ago.

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Sonny71 said:

Basically started on Paxil for the second time (was on years ago but stopped due to side effects)......Started on 20mg then after 3 months had to increase.After another few months rinse and repeat.At 60mg I then stayed for the past 6-7 years I've been on it.The Lamotrigine was started at the same time at 200mg and after a few years was bumped to 250mg.I did go up to 275mg in December

Please put this info in your signature box in the concise format previously explained - thank you.  This way it automatically appears in all your posts, and the staff can easily advise you.  

Reinstating the 10mg Paxil seemed to help a bit for sleep for a day but my sense of taste is still out of whack except for a couple brief hours 2 days ago at night...Sleep last night was an issue again and anxiety has returned...I'm managing...If my sense of taste were to return to normal I would likely feel alot better,the awful taste 24/7 is very annoying to say the least and chewing gum,losanges,etc has little affect.

I'm glad it has helped some.  A reinstatement probably won't take away all WD symptoms, but it should make them bearable.  

Hoping things will start to come around in time.The last time I stopped Paxil and Lamotrigine quickly I had some headaches that disipated quickly,anxiety.etc but never had the taste issue but at that time I was on the meds for approx a year...This time I have been on them a far longer time.

It can take a reinstatement several weeks to a couple of months to have it's full helpful effect.  As you can see from the links I posted, our nervous systems are incredibly complex, and the adjustments they must make to changes in our drugs, like reinstating and tapering, take lots of time.  Also, the more we go on, off, on and off drugs, the more we run the risk of having an even harder time with withdrawal.  This is because our systems tend to become more and more sensitized as we go on and off drugs.  Something to bear in mind.  And yes, being on the drugs longer usually means it will take longer for the brain to adjust to it's predrug state, and to lower doses.  

These links will explain more about withdrawal, and how to cope, and how long it may take.  

What is Happening in Your Brain? (Explains why recovery takes so long)

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take, Factors Affecting Withdrawal

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Been a week since reinstating 10mg with little change...Sleep is a bit better but the 24/7 nasty taste has stayed...Can't enjoy any food is bad enough but the nasty taste is extremely annoying and uncomfortable.Have a doctors appointment on Tuesday,I'll see what he recommends as well.

Sense of taste seemed better for a day or so mid week but brutal again today...Also feeling sluggish/unmotivated this week and seem to be getting a weird tingling sensation in my toes the past 2 days especially at night...As an update talked to my doctor this week and he said if things being too troublesome to try taking paxil 10mg TWICE a day.I thought about bumping to 20 mg once a day if this taste issue continues to linger...Any idea what the benefit would be to taking 10mg twice a day as opposed to 20mg once in the morning?

So I increased the Paxil to 20mg this past Sunday....Sense of taste started to improve(still not right) but been so tired and even less ambitious....Today I woke up with a feeling like my ears have a head cold as my hearing seems muffled even though I don't have a cold.Also my mental state seems to suddenly be taking a turn for the worse...Been in a fog all day and can tell something is off and my mood seems to be dropping...Had anxiety and low motivation coming off the med but my mood remained "decent" until now...........Looking for some advice on how to proceed as reading the links changing things often isn't recommended but am wondering if I stay at 20mg or try going back down to 10mg?

I'm most concerned about my mood dropping due to the constant tiredness/low motivation this week.Things can sometimes spiral down fast when I start feeling like today which is worrisome.

• 1 year later...

Just looking for some input as something has gone squirrely with my brain or central nervous system I suspect........Finally off Paxil approx 6 months ago after being on it for 9 years....I definitely came off faster than the recommended taper but seemed to manage.Long story short starting taking Sam E and felt great other than some anxiety but my mood was great.After 2 months Sam E stopped working abruptly.

Anyway my question is my doctor tried putting me on Remeron which had worked in years past with no issues but at 7.5mg I couldn't tolerate it as it made me so tired I was in bed for 2 days....Seems any medications I try now even if I tolerated them in the past causing worsening of depression and massive anxiety increases.

The past 3 months I've had terrible insomnia and one bizzare thing is my doctor tried Remeron again thinking it would help sleep and now it has almost zero effect and even Clonazepam doesn't have the same positive effect it once had?

I realize this is a tough question but just looking for some guidance.Personally through reading the posts here I think my central nervous system is so fragile still from coming off the Paxil trying any further meds is just complicating matters.The complete 180 effect of the Remeron from overly sedating to not doing much at all is very puzzling...Any input is appreciated :)

11 minutes ago, Sonny71 said:

I realize this is a tough question but just looking for some guidance.Personally through reading the posts here I think my central nervous system is so fragile still from coming off the Paxil trying any further meds is just complicating matters.

Yes, withdrawing from a medication, especially a faster than recommended taper can cause your CNS to become destabilized and sensitive to additional medication. You can read more about kindling at Hypersensitivity and Kindling.

We are a site dedicated to helping people safely taper off of medications. For questions about new/different medications, we recommend that you talk to your doctor(s) about those matters.

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2023 = 0.7mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

Thankyou very much for the reply and links...I'll check them out in hopes of trying to figure out what's going on as of late. :)