Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

WantoffVen
6 minutes ago, magnesi said:

Doesn't anyone have a reference? Would jumping at 5% the initial Effexor dose be OK?

Thank you in advance

Why are you concerned with a jumping off dose if you're still at 24mg? Take your time. Slow is never bad. If you want help I think you need to type @altostrata or another administrator and they will get your question. I went from 300mg. Venlafaxine to 75 mg and then back up to 150mg but doing okay there. In time I will try to drop down again. Don't be in a big hurry.

• Like 1

Altostrata

Don't worry about a jumping-off point until you're much further along. You'll have to observe your withdrawal symptom pattern at low dosages.

magnesi
22 hours ago, WantoffVen said:

Why are you concerned with a jumping off dose if you're still at 24mg? Take your time. Slow is never bad. If you want help I think you need to type @altostrata or another administrator and they will get your question. I went from 300mg. Venlafaxine to 75 mg and then back up to 150mg but doing okay there. In time I will try to drop down again. Don't be in a big hurry.

Thank you for your answer. I like to plan my life, that's how I do things. I'll take my time, I'm cutting 20% per month and it's going well, but I'd like to have an idea of when to jump. People eventually have to jump. Planning is not the same as worrying. Best luck with your taper!

magnesi
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Don't worry about a jumping-off point until you're much further along. You'll have to observe your withdrawal symptom pattern at low dosages.

Thank you, I'm not worrying but I would like to plan. I've tapered a benzo and the AD until now without any steps back based on planing and listening to my body. It's important to have an idea of how thing will probably unfold, even if we need to correct it along the way.

Superwoman
On 1/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, magnesi said:

Thank you, I'm not worrying but I would like to plan. I've tapered a benzo and the AD until now without any steps back based on planing and listening to my body. It's important to have an idea of how thing will probably unfold, even if we need to correct it along the way.

I think that I read on here that the jump off point is less then 1mg.  There is some individual variation. 

Superwoman

Does anyone know of any research on tapering Effexor xr by opening the capsules and dividing out the beads?  I want to have something to show my doctor confirming that this method is safe.    I think this method is safe and preferable to the standard ludicrous method of tapering Effexor xr.  However, I have to convince my doctor of this and I don’t want another fight.  My family doctor who is taper friendly, is on medical leave and likely retiring.  I have an appointment with a new TMS psychiatrist in March and I want to be prepared. 

maxfly

Hi Superwoman, 

I have been going to a compounding pharmacy to have custom capsules made of 5 and 10mg.  The compounding pharmacy simply buys manufacturer capsules and beadcounts into empty capsules - so I don't have to do it.  So beadcounting is an accepted approach at compounding pharmacies.  Perhaps you could find a local compounding pharmacy a (or ask your doctor to recommend a compounding pharmacy) and see if they can write you an email recommending the beadcounting approach? 

Superwoman
1 hour ago, maxfly said:

Hi Superwoman, 

I have been going to a compounding pharmacy to have custom capsules made of 5 and 10mg.  The compounding pharmacy simply buys manufacturer capsules and beadcounts into empty capsules - so I don't have to do it.  So beadcounting is an accepted approach at compounding pharmacies.  Perhaps you could find a local compounding pharmacy a (or ask your doctor to recommend a compounding pharmacy) and see if they can write you an email recommending the beadcounting approach? 

Hi Magfly,

That is a good idea. If I can find a compounding pharmacist to do this?  Originally I talked with my local compounding pharmacist about having custom capsules of Effexor xr made up.  The pharmacist called the drug manufacturer in order to find out some basic information about the drug.  He got a customer service employee who either could not or would not answer his questions.  The person just read from the drug pamphlet.  He said that he could not make up the pills without knowing this information because there would be liability for him and he needed to make sure it was safe. 

Superwoman
7 hours ago, maxfly said:

Hi Superwoman, 

I contacted the drug manufacturer to try to find out more information about this medication.  It is like pulling teeth to get any information out of the drug companies       and when I do it seems to be vague or inaccurate. I even walked into a Effexor manufacturer factory and tried to get answers.  I thought they were going to walk me out in handcuffs lol.  I will contact your pharmacy.  I will PM you. Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy