Davidander: hearing sensitivity and eye issues after Effexor and Prozac

Davidander

Hi, I have been struggling with hearing sensitivity and eye issues ever since I made the mistake of listening to my neurologist and trying Effexor, and then upon recommendation of a psychiatrist, Prozac.  Both were for short time periods.   I am a little more than 4 months out of my last prozac dose.

Ears/Hearing:  hypersensitive to certain sounds - sudden sounds, sharp impact sounds, crinkling plastic wrappers etc.  High pitched tinnitus that is generally not too instrusive and can be better or worse but always there.  No hearing loss as of post-Effexor, pre-prozac.

Eyes:  “tight” feeling that is somewhat better than a few months ago but still not normal.  I probably have some visual snow, and my night vision is worse because it’s like my eyes are amplifying light that’s not even there.  Constantly bloodshot and dry eyes - taking restasis but opthamologist didn’t see any other eye issues.  

Balance:  generally ok but occasional unsteadiness.

Other: Mild constipation: gastroenterologist didn’t see anything wrong.  Some TMJ pain and minor random muscle twitches.  Occasional facial tremors that are better than a few months ago but not gone.  Frequent trouble sleeping- falling asleep, getting enough sleep or deep sleep.

Basically I believe that these drugs hypersensitized me.  I sincerely hope that this hypersensitivity will decrease over time.  I have seen some improvement vs say 2 months ago, but I have a long way to go.  

I have read on this site that it can take a long time for the nervous system to calm down.  I believe that I am generally improved on magnitude of sensitivity vs say 2 months ago, but I am clearly not on a “some people take as much as a month to recover” timeframe.  

June 2021-August 2021: Nortryptaline 25mg.

Early November 2021 (6 days): Effexor 37.5.

Early January 2022 (14 days): Prozac 10-20mg.  Felt worse immediately on the Prozac but the psychiatrist’s instructions were to updose from 10-20mg if I didn’t feel better, so I did that after a few days.  After confirming with my psychiatrist that it wouldn’t be an issue, 2/3 of the way through this prozac period I tried a CBD gummy (non-THC) to try to sleep better and it led to immediate hyper stimulation, flashing lights, increased tinnitus, head burning feeling, difficulty walking, for approximately 6 hours.
March 15, 2022-July 4, 2022: Restasis for dry eyes; various supplements I did not take previously- b-12 or b-complex, D, C, turmeric, ginger.

Current: Nothing- tried half dose vitamins recently and they may have aggravated my system; tried half bottle of turmeric drink, increased dizziness.  Tried half dose magnesium glycinate 3 nights and it either made things worse or did not help.  Fish oil at least hasn’t seemed to cause an issue but I probably will not take it for a while.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Davidander: hearing sensitivity and eye issues after Effexor and Prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  It's quite possible that Effexor and/or Prozac are what caused your symptoms, and that your nervous system is now sensitized.  The good news is, this will gradually resolve over time, given proper self care, and avoiding psych drugs.  I'm glad that you have already seen some improvement.  Yes, it can take a long time for the nervous system to calm down, but unless you were on other psychiatric drugs you haven't yet mentioned, your drug history is pretty short and simple compared to many in here.  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Please let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you, I will make edits to my profile and start exploring the links that you sent.  A couple of months on low dose nortryptaline before what was probably too quick taper although I didn’t feel bad coming off of it.  Then about 2-3 months before effexor.  Yes, 6 days on effexor.  Felt truly horrible after effexor, but was making some sort of slow recovery.  Then about 2 months later, 2 weeks on prozac.  The prozac made everything worse, so I’m guessing that it further irritated my nervous system.  

The lack of forthright disclosure of risks and magnitude of issues that can be caused by these drugs is alarming, as is the general unawareness of protracted withdrawal in the medical community.  When I asked what the risks were of trying effexor to see if it helped a potential vestibular migraine issue, I was told “sweating.”  When I engaged a psychiatrist to help me determine if I was suffering from lingering withdrawal, he saw no issue with trying prozac and couldn’t be bothered to tell me whether my hypersensitivity symptoms were normal - in fact he basically said they were psychosomatic.  

Anyway, I think this site is a great resource.  

Early January 2022 (14 days): Prozac 10-20mg.  Felt worse immediately on the Prozac but the psychiatrist’s instructions were to updose from 10-20mg if I didn’t feel better, so I did that after a few days.  After confirming with my psychiatrist that it wouldn’t be an issue, 2/3 of the way through this prozac period I tried a CBD gummy (non-THC) to try to sleep better and it led to immediate hyper stimulation, flashing lights, increased tinnitus, head burning feeling, difficulty walking, for approximately 6 hours.
March 15, 2022-July 4, 2022: Restasis for dry eyes; various supplements I did not take previously- b-12 or b-complex, D, C, turmeric, ginger.

Current: Nothing- tried half dose vitamins recently and they may have aggravated my system; tried half bottle of turmeric drink, increased dizziness.  Tried half dose magnesium glycinate 3 nights and it either made things worse or did not help.  Fish oil at least hasn’t seemed to cause an issue but I probably will not take it for a while.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Davidander said:

I will make edits to my profile

The profile is different to the drug signature which getofflex has requested that you create.  When you join SA you provide some drug history.  This is confidential and only visible to staff.  The drug signature is a summary of your drug history appears below every post you make and provides a member's drug history "at a glance".

Please read the instructions so you know what is required.  It needs to be nice and simple; the confidential information is very wordy.  We need to see dates, doses and drug names without all the extraneous information.  Any extra information can be provided in a post here in your Introduction topic.  The second link goes straight to your signature, and remember to Save.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Davidander said:

A couple of months on low dose nortryptaline before what was probably too quick taper although I didn’t feel bad coming off of it.  Then about 2-3 months before effexor.

I'm not clear on this.  You took the nortryptaline prior to starting the Effexor?  We need to know more about this.  Please supply your drug signature as requested by myself and Chessie Cat.  Thank you.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Hi, I updated my signature, so hopefully that works better.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, now it is clear to me.  Thanks for updating the signature.  Here are some more good links to read and watch: 

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

What is Happening in Your Brain? (Explains why recovery takes so long)

https://youtu.be/PSjYH044-2Q.  to understand SERT occupancy:

@DavidanderHey there! I wanted to let you know you’re not alone on the hearing hypersensitivity. Baylissa talks about this on her website, hyperacusis (hearing sensitivity). She had this too, I think it may be pretty common. My hearing gets very sensitive to the point it almost hurts to hear sounds sometimes. I also get pressure as if I were deep under water, clogged feeling..  Along with weird mild tinnitus. I had my reaction around the same time as when you took the prozac and My cns is very sensitive but have slowly notice very very small improvements since 2-3 months ago. 

Immediate adverse reaction 

lexapro 5mg 3x 1/27/22, 1/28/22, 1/30/22 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

Hi, thanks for reaching out.  Yes, I had hyperacusis in one ear after a vertigo incident 1.5 years ago, but it went away after 5-6 months along with the mild tinnitus I had in that ear.  Then I was stupidly put on effexor and have had hypersensitivity to sound/hyperacusis since then, and it was aggravated by the prozac.

For about 2.5 months after the prozac it felt like the insides of my ear were burning- like a low level constant burn, and the sound sensitivity was very bad for plates on counters, sudden clicks, bangs, clatters, water splashing.

4.5 months off the prozac, the burning is largely gone and sound sensitivity has improved some, but it is still one of my worst issues, along with eye dryness and tightness.  I can tell that my brain still feels very hypersensitive, as evidenced by consistently poor sleep.  The creaks from my office chair are like little slaps to my ears and brain and I still sometimes get ear flutters with these sounds.  I have the mild high pitched tinnitus also.

Hopefully symptoms will improve as our nervous system calms down.  I ate tacos with onions the other day and I think it aggravated my stuff.  I am going to redouble my efforts to clean up my diet.  

• 3 weeks later...

My 7/1 Update and Musings:

Ears - Still have hyperacusis/hypersensitivity.  It may be slightly more on left side, which at least is consistent with prior left ear issue.  Most susceptible to sudden squeals, cracks, throwing eye drop tube in trash.  I believe there has been some improvement vs April and May.  In April and May I still had a lot of burning feeling in my inner ears and front of brain and sinuses.  Very little burning feeling there now.  I can sometimes tolerate a speakerphone conference call now without feeling like my ears and brain are being assaulted, but I still have a ways to go to approach “normal.”  
TMJ:  Most of my TMJ pain is gone.  It was bad for about 3.5 months after the prozac disaster.  It is not completely gone but is much better.  
Dizziness:  Right about the time that the TMJ pain improved, I noticed increased dizziness/unsteadiness, which had gone away shortly after withdrawal started. I also believe that I am more sensitive to heat now - I find that walking in the hot sun is much more fatiguing, and I have dialed back the shower temperature.  My thought is that my symptoms have shifted some, hopefully as part of healing, but I may have pushed too hard with walking in the sun a few times.

Eyes:  Still having focus difficulty and dryness.  Seems to have gotten worse with the increased dizziness.  
Sleep:  still have frequent insomnia.  Some days I get almost no sleep, but I have had better nights where I get close to 7 hours with several wakeups.  I may try the Lactium.

Constipation:  minor constipation still an issue.  
Twitches:  Still have random muscle twitches- one day it will be a quad, another day it is my forearms, or a stomach muscle, glute muscle, whatever.

I am gradually going to shift to the plant paradox diet, but it is a big shift for me so it might take a while.  My diet is far better than before this mess, but the low hanging fruit is gone now (alcohol, coffee, chocolate, etc) so further improvements are going to require a more deliberate effort.  

I am also considering stopping the Restasis soon, on the theory that if I am hypersensitized, then it might be contributing to hypersensitivity and symptoms.  I’d ask the doctors but as many on this site have noticed, they hardly acknowledge what we are going through.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, it sounds like things are gradually improving for you.  It is common for symptoms to morph - they go away, but new symptoms come along.  Yes, walking in the hot sun and heat can aggravate our sensitized nervous systems. I have to watch how much I stay out in the heat.  Hang in there, eventually this will all go away, it just takes a very long time.  It sounds like you are being pretty patient.   

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a new neurologist.  He basically discounted that being on these “medications” for a short time could have caused anything lingering.  No acknowledgment of potential CNS kindling.  He said that maybe if I had been mentally prepared better for the medications, then they would have worked better and without as many issues.  Put in a diagnosis of PPPD and suggested that I try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in combination with low dose sertraline.  

I may try the CBT, but I am not that interested in trying any further antidepressants, at least not right now.  

More of the same from these doctors.

I still think overexertion in the heat during June, combined with some personal stressors, and/or a “wave”, contributed to my recent dizziness and increased hypersensitivity the past few weeks.  I also cut out the restasis about 2 weeks ago, as I did not really feel that it was helping and some people online said it caused dizziness, so it is possible that I am adjusting to that.  

On 7/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, Davidander said:

Saw a new neurologist.  He basically discounted that being on these “medications” for a short time could have caused anything lingering.  No acknowledgment of potential CNS kindling.  He said that maybe if I had been mentally prepared better for the medications, then they would have worked better and without as many issues.  Put in a diagnosis of PPPD and suggested that I try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in combination with low dose sertraline.  

I may try the CBT, but I am not that interested in trying any further antidepressants, at least not right now.  

More of the same from these doctors.

I still think overexertion in the heat during June, combined with some personal stressors, and/or a “wave”, contributed to my recent dizziness and increased hypersensitivity the past few weeks.  I also cut out the restasis about 2 weeks ago, as I did not really feel that it was helping and some people online said it caused dizziness, so it is possible that I am adjusting to that.  

I developed PPPD through the merry go round of drugs. Took a while to get the diagnosis. Are you getting better? I’ve had it for 6 months. It’s better and a very slow heal. 

36/M, started 10mg escitalopram June 2011

Sept 20th 2021 - increased 10mg to 15mg.
Oct 1st 2021 -November 16th 2021 drug merry go round. Effexor, Zoloft, pristiq.
Nov 22nd 2021 - lexapro 5mg

nov 29th, 2021 - lexapro 10mg

Dec 29th, 2021 - lexapro 15mg

Jan 20th, 2022 - lexapro 20mg

Jan 25th,2022 - lexapro 15mg,Feb 15th,2022 - lexapro 10mg ,Nov 22nd, 2021 - Dec 20th, 2021 -Xanax .25 X2 a day,Dec 20th, 2021 - Jan 16th, 2022 Klonopin .25 daily

,-June 25 - 7.5mg pill, 2.5mg liquid ,-June 28 - 5mg pill, 5mg liquid ,-July 18th - 9.8mg (5mg pill, 4.8mg liquid),-Aug 1 - 9.6mg (5mg pill, 4.6 liquid) ,-Aug 16 - All liquid (9.6MG) ,-Sept 18th - 9.4MG,-Oct 18th - 9.2MG. -Nov 21st - 9MG 2023, April 17th - 8.8MG, May 15th - 8.6MG, June 19th - 8.4MG, Aug 1 - 8.2Mg, Sept 2, 8mg, Oct 9th 7.8mg, Nov 6, 7.6mg, Dec 8th, 7.4mg, Jan 23, 7.2mg Feb 28th 7.1ML, March 13 7ML March 30 6.8ml magnesium, fish oil, b vitamins D3

Tough to say since I had non-medication related lingering effects from a vertigo/labyrinthitis.  I had a lot of dizziness for weeks after effexor and prozac.  The dizziness that came back in June felt like that - someone else described it on this site as a “floaty boat” unsteady feeling.  The current wave of it or whatever it is has been going on for probably about 5 weeks, and included some prozac style “jelly legs” for a few days recently - hadn’t had that for like 5 months.  I am hoping that it goes away soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

Symptoms Update:

1.  Eyes - I recently had about a week of only needing to use eye drops once a day, but Eye dryness appears to have taken a few steps backwards.  
2.  Ears -  more sensitive than at the end of May/beginning of June.  
3.  Dizziness - better than it was a few weeks ago, but worse than end of May/beginning of June.  I can feel the some tension/raw feeling in the front of my head - that had gone away.

4.  Temperature sensitivity - still sensitive to heat - I am using the shower at temperatures that would have been borderline cold before this and they still feel warm.  
5.  Insomnia has been worse.  Wake up too many times and sleep quality is poor.  

I will keep hoping for improvement.  I added in some light exercises.

• 3 weeks later...

8/17/22:

Eyes:  Still dry eyes and they track and focus on objects less fluidly.  Discontinued restasis on July 4 based on what I read about it online and in case it might have been interfering with my nervous system and contributing to my issues.  Sometimes I feel unnecessary eye strain in the muscles.  The positive is that the eyes feel better than probably 3 months ago.  I frequently wear clipons that reduce certain wavelengths of light, and I usually wear shades clipons outside.  Would love to be able to switch from glasses to contacts again, because I think the peripheral vision helps my dizziness, but that’s not happening until I can go at least most of a day without noticeable issues.  

Ears:  Hyperacusis is the worst symptom for me right now.  I’ve had this since the effexor, but the prozac made it worse. I had a couple of weeks where I thought this was getting better, but that was like 3 months ago.  When the hyperacusis is being aggravated, I feel a rawness in the front of my head and I notice an uptick in tremors.  Mild tinnitus continues.  

Head:  dizziness is somewhat improved vs a month ago.  
Temperature sensitivity:  I still notice this in the shower - water just feels hotter than it should.  Possibly some slight improvement versus a few weeks ago, but hard to know.

Skin:  A fun new symptom.  Some dry skin on backs of hands and forearms.  That skin looks like I’m 90.  For a while I had the “spearmint” cold/burn skin on forearms.  Very faint redness in these areas.  I also get an occasional hive.  
Insomnia:  Sometimes better sometimes worse.  I generally got some sleep, but it is broken, and like a lot of people on this site, my body gives me a 5:00am wakeup call every day, and I probably pee twice.  Sometimes I do feel the heavier deep sleep feeling, so that’s positive.  Hoping for some more improvement here, as I think it would help other symptoms.  
Constipation:  Mild.  

Diet:  I have cleaned up my diet a lot - no alcohol, no caffeine, no sweets, trying to stay away from empty carbs, generally pretty healthy.  I am leaning towards an anti inflammatory diet, but it will be a while before I achieve that on a daily basis.  So more room for improvement.

Exercise:  I have done some low impact biking, because I felt like it helped a few months ago, but sometimes I think I push even that too far and take steps backwards in dizziness, especially.  My muscles and joints also seem to object.  So I will probably focus on walks, now that it is cooler, and try to reduce the intensity of the bike.  

Supplements:  Not really taking any.  Tried fish oil pills a few days and it might have made things worse.  I plan to try some magnesium in tablet form.

So, I am hoping that at least one symptom will show some improvement sometime soon.  

• 1 month later...

9/26/22 update.

Ears - Still have hypersensitive hearing and/or hyperacusis.  Impact or sudden sounds and loud voices and conference calls may trigger an immediate ear flutter and/or an uncomfortable “raw” or “burny” feeling in the front of my brain and head.  I don’t think that I have seen much improvement here.  Occasionally I get a day without the uncomfortable feeling and usually the hypersensitivity is better on those days, so I will hope for improvement.  Tinnitus still there, feels mostly left side, but is not horrible.  

Eyes -  Dryness is generally manageable but I would not be able to wear contacts.  I believe that all along I’ve had some light sensitivity.  Visual snow still present and most noticeable in low light or bright light.  I can almost create a sparkling effect by looking at the sky on bright cloudy days.  Eye floaters are definitely worse than before the meds.

Head - dizziness has been ok.  Sometimes it can get a little bad but it has not been horrible.  
Skin - forearm skins remain more “aged” and wrinkled than they should.  Skin around tops of eyes gets more dry/flakey than it did before meds.  Have not had a hive in over a month despite a few dietary splurges.  Have not had itchy shins after that went away over a month ago.

Constipation - possibly some improvement on the minor constipation but hard to say, could be dietary.  
Temperature sensitivity- probably still a little sensitive to heat but maybe a little less than two months ago.

I will continue to hope for some improvement.  Some solid improvement in the visual or auditory symptoms would give me something to get excited about.  

Anyway, I hope for healing for everyone on this site.

• 1 month later...

11/21/22 Update 

Ears - Sound sensitivity continues.  For me, sound sensitivity is a “charged” or “raw” feeling in the front of my brain and perhaps some sinus areas upon hearing certain noises that are typically abrupt noises- clattering, people who speak with sharp emphasis, etc.  The noises often trigger concurrent ear flutters.  Tinnitus remains, but is not as big of an issue as the sensitivity.

Eyes - Still too tight/dry.  Sometimes feel warm.  Floaters developed a few months in and most still there to some extent, but less noticeable.

Twitches - About 2 months ago the twitches got worse, about the time that my GI tract improved some.  

I drank half of a turmeric supplement drink a week ago and I do think it aggravated dizziness and the dropping feeling.  No more of that.  I tried a half dose of adult vitamin for 3 days for the first time in 6 months, and I believe that it aggravated the ears more, yet I think it may have helped me sleep better.  I am not trying anymore of those supplements for a while.  I am currently trying a one week magnesium glycinate evening supplement as my muscle twitching or spasms was bothering me and I was getting a painful cramp in part of my calf.  So far, it seems like the muscle twitching showed immediate improvement, so I will continue for the rest of the week and reevaluate.  My sleep sucks again.  

Eyes and ears are my worst symptoms, and are relatively continuous, along with insomnia of varying degrees.  

I will get more bloodwork pretty soon to see if vitamin levels are low.  

Still hoping for improvement.  It’s been hard to exercise lately so I am going to try to improve that soon.  

• 1 month later...

Got basic bloodwork for inflammation markers, some vasculitis tests, and Lyme disease but it showed nothing. Bloodwork 5 weeks ago showed slight vitamind d deficiency/insufficiency.

1.  Eyes - still more bloodshot and burny, but probably not as bad as 5 weeks ago when I had a setback. Somewhat dry but not too bad.  
2. Ears/sound sensitivity- still an issue.  I get too many ear flutters and certain sounds cause a charged uncomfortable feeling front of my brain.  Tinnitus still there but is not overwhelming.
3.  Other - Teeth are more sensitive. 5 weeks ago I got acute burning feelings in my right foot and big toe, similar to when I first came off the effexor, and had some hives.   Those feelings have largely subsided but I think some of these peripheral nerve areas are still a little more sensitized. 
4.  Sleep - I’ve had a few more decent sleep nights.  I’ll take what I can get.  

My thoughts- I think the brief time on supplements destabilized my system again.  There is another user on this site who said she thought that megnesium glycinate lysinate gave her physical withdrawal symptoms again.  I looked up lysine and apparently it helps bring calcium into your cells among other things.  I don’t think that is a good thing for those of us with jacked nerves.  I had tried quarter dose before without issue but i think half dose may have triggered the burning feelings.  If I try magnesium again it will be glycinate or citrate.  I am taking a teeny dose of vitamin d3 as I do think it helps with twitches.  

I have increased efforts to improve my diet.  I am using stationary bike every other day or so to try to get regular exercise and maybe help calm my nerves.  

I am concerned that I may have permanently screwed up my brain, but only time will tell.  

• 2 months later...

Hi , any sign of improvement ? I think we have very similar symptoms ,

following your story.

cynbalta -2007 1 year 2012 -1 month | wellbutrin-2007- a few days | xanax-2012- 1mg, recreationally 10-15 doses |

klonopin-2013 1year .25-1mg | lexapro-1-2 months 10mg | topamax-2weeks small dose |

lamictal— 2015 7 years- doses(25-400mg) * Seroquil- 2015 5 years -15-100mg * ketamine-2019 -10 iv treatments |

gabapentin-2020- 300mg- 2 months | lithium-2020 1200mg-1 month | ambien-2020 5-10 mg 3 months 

Propalanol-2023 10mg -2 weeks 

Dec 1 ,21 -aug 1, 2021 no rx drugs

Marijuana and kratom near daily use

Aug 1, 21-bee venom therapy for shoulder pain led to adrenal/ cns  crash  -lamictal 25mg 

June 1st 22-(Crazy insomnia spell starts) gabapentin 100mg -300 mg lamictal 25

June 10th 2022- gabapentin 200mg, benedryl,lamictal 25

June 15th 2022- ambien 2mg,gabapentin 200mg,benedryl, lamictal 25mg

Bad reaction from mixing benedryl / gabapentin / ambien / kratom. This is when adrenal surges / jolting started. The next month a lot dose changes med changes daily -taking gabapentin. 100-300mg and 1-3 mg ambien . Seroquil 10-100mg. some nights seroquil various dose , some nights gabapentin , some night gabapentin and ambien , some nights nothing . lamictal 50mg

July 15, 22- lamictal 100mg

July 28 2022-lamictal 50

August 1 2022-  propalanol 30mg gabapentin 300mg lamictal 100mg

August 14 2022- lamictal 50

September 1 2022- lithium 900mg/ valproic acid 

September 10 2022,- lamictal 25mg, 

September 12 2022- gabapentin 200mg, lamictal 25mg

November 25 2022- nothing  

December 10 2022- lithium 900mg. 
december 11,2022-nothing 

December 12 2022- lithium 450mg

December 16 2022- lithium650 mg

December 24 2022- lithium 900mg

Bad reaction clean since 

@Kuda1988Hi, I don’t think I have seen consistent improvement in my sound sensitivity or light sensitivity.  Sometimes I get a better day but any improvement in those areas since acute withdrawal hasn’t stuck.  The slight burny feeling upon pressure in my fingers and sometimes toes established itself like 4 months ago when I had a setback.  I am too cold too often.  The TMJ pain and tightness is annoying.  Insomnia still frequently an issue although better than 4 months ago.

I may have an atypical migraine type situation that could have been kicked off by whatever took out my inner ear (covid?), the vaccine, whatever.  Or it’s damage from these medications or something else.  

Dunno anymore.  I still hope that maybe one day I will be able to write a recovery story.

Well it sounds like SOME things have improved ? Your still not a year out right ? I see a lot of people seem to see improvement after a year . Some don’t . Your off everything right ? No substances at all right ?

how bad is your sound sensitivity ? Can you go to the store ?

do you have to wear ear plugs like me ?

cynbalta -2007 1 year 2012 -1 month | wellbutrin-2007- a few days | xanax-2012- 1mg, recreationally 10-15 doses |

klonopin-2013 1year .25-1mg | lexapro-1-2 months 10mg | topamax-2weeks small dose |

lamictal— 2015 7 years- doses(25-400mg) * Seroquil- 2015 5 years -15-100mg * ketamine-2019 -10 iv treatments |

gabapentin-2020- 300mg- 2 months | lithium-2020 1200mg-1 month | ambien-2020 5-10 mg 3 months 

Aug 1, 21-bee venom therapy for shoulder pain led to adrenal/ cns  crash  -lamictal 25mg 

Bad reaction from mixing benedryl / gabapentin / ambien / kratom. This is when adrenal surges / jolting started. The next month a lot dose changes med changes daily -taking gabapentin. 100-300mg and 1-3 mg ambien . Seroquil 10-100mg. some nights seroquil various dose , some nights gabapentin , some night gabapentin and ambien , some nights nothing . lamictal 50mg

July 28 2022-lamictal 50

december 11,2022-nothing 

Bad reaction clean since 

Im a little more than a year.  My sound sensitivity is not earplug level - it is more of an issue with certain types of sounds.  Crinkling of a water bottle while someone is drinking from it, sudden impact sounds like a clatter or dropping something, poor quality speakers broadcasting a conference call.  When it happens it is like it races across the front of my brain and I can feel it in my upper sinuses, sometimes my eye or jaw will twitch, etc.  it’s improved versus the first four months or so, but not really after that, except every once in a while I get a little better day.

Yeah I’m not taking anything except some vitamin d in the morning and some vitamin C.  Fish oil made me dizzy for 4 days.  

I’m thinking of trying acupuncture geared towards relaxation and relief of muscle tightness.  

Crinkling of a water bottle would def get me too.. things clicking on like the fridge thermostat or ac.. sudden noises ... house noises .. 

I never had luck with acupuncture but lots of people do

July 28 2022-lamictal 50

december 11,2022-nothing 

Bad reaction clean since 

• 3 months later...

Any improvement over these past four months ? Maybe the “ better “ days becoming more frequent ?

July 28 2022-lamictal 50

december 11,2022-nothing 

Bad reaction clean since 

Tough to say because I complicated things.  Various physical symptoms were getting worse months ago and most of them are migraine symptoms, which was the main reason I got put on antidepressants in the first place.  I ended up trying emigality, which is a monoclonal that targets cgrp.  It worked really well in the beginning- my tmj pain decreased by probably 80%, dizziness improved significantly, sound sensitivity improved, neck tightness improved significantly.  However shortly after the third monthly dose my insomnia increased to the point where I was barely getting any sleep and I noticed increased anxiety over nothing, muscle twitches came back or got worse and a yellowish spot reappeared on my forearm and my knee skin has the burning itchy feeling and constipation increased.  So I stopped taking it almost a week ago, no way to taper.  It’s a shame because it was helping my symptoms.  Anyway, hopefully I am not left with worse issues.  I am leaning towards some sort of histamine or leaky gut thing possibly causing a low level inflammation that is causing my physical symptoms.  I will probably engage some doctor who knows how to address physical symptoms with diet, and I am going to try wim hoff stuff when I stabilize more.  The latest neurologist wanted to put me on amitryptaline, which I can’t run away from fast enough.  

Thats where I am.  I hope you are doing well as can be.  

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm still tapering but have been having similar symptoms. With improvements and then setbacks. Lot's of eye issues, tinnitus, dizziness etc. 

Hope things are going better for you. 

May 2020: started Lexapro 10mg

August 2020: increased to 15mg

Aug 2020-April 2023:Dose between 10mg to 20mg don't remember when but never had issues)

April 2023: Started tapering to 12.5mg after long time at 15mg, Bad side effects (eye floaters, dizziness, headaches, tremors)

May 2023: Reinstate at 15mg hoping would help after 3-4 weeks of bad symptoms. Restarted most symptoms that were subsiding

July 2023: Holding at 15mg possibly not consistent with dosing 10mg tabs causing some effects, still experiencing symptoms

August 2023: Started to attempt very slow 2-5% tapering again by weight which made symptoms worse and then switched to liquid 5mg and pill 10mg combo

Sep-Nov: Slowly tapered to 12.5mg with 10mg pill and remainder from Cipralex suspension. Symptoms were tolerable generally, held at 12.5mg for at least 4 weeks. 

Dec: Dropped to 12.25mg, bad withdrawal symptoms again. 

• 1 month later...

Hello @Davidander, any improvement over the past 8 months? i hope your windows have gotten more frequent and longer. 

08/2016-05/2018 Effexor 250mg

05/2018-04/2019 Paxil 40mg
05/2019-08/2020 Effexor 150mg

05/2019 (risperidone for 4 days)
12/2020-12/2021 Effexor 150mg
12/2021-04/2022 Prozac 40mg (cross tappered for 10 days)
02/2022 Abilify 10mg (2 weeks)
04/2022-05/2022 Anafranil 50mg (one month)
05/2022-06/2022 Strattera 40mg (one month), 07/2022 Bupropion 150mg (2 weeks)
07/2022-11/2022 Duloxetine 90mg (with Concerta 54mg and Ritalin 10-20mg)

10/2022 - 11/2022 Quetiapine 25 mg for sleep
02/2023 prozac 20 mg  (3weeks),05/2023 Anfranil 25mg (2 days), 06/2023 Effexor (1 week 37,5mg, 4 days 75mg)