SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

farmley0223: Lexapro WD issues

farmley0223

Brand new to this blog. I have my med history on my signature. Anyone have incredible headaches and head pressure when they've been off the med for 2 months? 

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I feel so tired and sluggish lately. 

Started Prozac 2013- No progress

Started Lexapro early 2014 (10MG), added Trazodone in 2015 for sleeping issues

Was on this elixir for several years until 2019. Dropped Trazodone CT'ed at 150MG Due to muscle and bone pain

Dropped Lexapro in 2020 and started Effexor (stopped after 2 months because of suicidal thoughts and severe headaches)

Started Gabapentin in July 2020, took it for 7 weeks (made me lucid and not coherent). CT'ed off at 300 MG. 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

READDED LEX at 40 MG Sept 2020, tapered to 20 in three months then 10 in another 3 months and tapered off March 2022. 

Currently on no antidepressants as of March 2022. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to farmley0223: Lexapro WD issues
  • Administrator

Welcome, @farmley0223

You are describing withdrawal symptoms experienced by many of our members. These have been described in medical journal articles since the 1990s (and earlier). Use search in the Introductions forum to see those reporting headache or head pressure.

How has your symptom pattern changed since you went of escitalopram in March? How's your sleep? What drugs are you taking now, at what times o'clock and dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am not currently taking any medications. Prior to March 26th, when I was stopping to them, I was taking 2.5MG at night around 8-10PM with vitamin D and a Multi-Vitamin. 

I am using now CBD/THC rich tinctures so I can sleep at night. And occasional puff of THC flower. 

Head pressure is off the chain. It comes out of nowhere and this wave lasted for over 7 days. It's subsided a lot, but the residual fatigue is still there. 

Was on this elixir for several years until 2019. Dropped Trazodone CT'ed at 150MG Due to muscle and bone pain

Dropped Lexapro in 2020 and started Effexor (stopped after 2 months because of suicidal thoughts and severe headaches)

Started Gabapentin in July 2020, took it for 7 weeks (made me lucid and not coherent). CT'ed off at 300 MG. 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

READDED LEX at 40 MG Sept 2020, tapered to 20 in three months then 10 in another 3 months and tapered off March 2022. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, farmley0223 said:

at night around 8-10PM with vitamin D and a Multi-Vitamin.

Vitamin D is a daytime vitamin and is generally taken in the morning.

Multi vitamins contain B vitamins which can be activating, so it is probably better taking it in the morning as well.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

How has your symptom pattern changed since you went of escitalopram in March? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've been off Lexapro for 2 Months and I'm miserable

Is it okay to reinstate if I've been off for more than 2 months? 

I'm scared to take Lexapro again because of the myriad of symptoms...I'm so tired. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto asked you some questions.  Please answer them. 

Please also tell us your current symptoms and tell us about how they are affecting you.

If you do decide that you want to reinstate, instead of reinstating Lexapro / escitalopram you might consider reinstating citalopram which is a much gentler sibling to escitalopram.

Please carefully read Post #1 of this topic and let us know if you would like to try reinstatement and we can suggest a dose for you to try.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

PLEASE NOTE:  It is better to start with a small dose (possibly only 1mg, depending on the drug you decided on; Lexapro is a very strong drug and a smaller dose, possibly 0.25mg, might be suggested) and increase by small increments than to risk taking too much.

The idea of reinstatement is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 6/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed since you went of escitalopram in March? How's your sleep?

I've had pretty much these symptoms consistently while on and now off the med.

Head pressure (like a rubber band is wrapped around my head)

Depression 

Severe anxiety

Not being able to feel anything

Orthostatic intolerance 

Muscle weakness 

Loss of energy and sex drive

Blurry vision 

TMJ/TMD

Teeth clenching (I wear a night guard)

Chronic fatigue 

Bladder urgency

Excessive thirst

Hair loss

Tender breasts

Excessive gas

GI issues (IBS-M)

My sleep ranges from 5 to 7 hours a night, however not feeling rested enough. I use THC tinctures to help me sleep. 

I am still in a bad wave after almost 3 months. 

I sincerely hope this gets better

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

How did you switch fro Lexapro to Effexor in 2020?

Why did you start gabapentin in July 2020, for what symptoms?

2 hours ago, farmley0223 said:

I've had pretty much these symptoms consistently while on and now off the med.

Do you mean you had these symptoms while you were taking Lexapro September 2020-March 2022? Or did you always have those symptoms when you took Lexapro, including 2014-2020?

I was having increased anxiety and depression and felt that the Lexapro was "terming" out so doc had me try Effexor. 

Effexor made my symptoms worse and became really agitated so I was taken off and then tried Gabapentin for anxiety and that is when after 7 weeks of feeling lucid, I CTed off Gabapentin and restarted Lex. 

I felt that I always has the symptoms while on all these meds from 2014 through now, but to a far less degree while I was on them. But now off completely, I feel wiped and symptoms are raging.

I genuinely think that just too many abrupt med changes caused my symptoms. 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, farmley0223 said:

I was having increased anxiety and depression and felt that the Lexapro was "terming" out so doc had me try Effexor. 

In this period, did you accidentally skip doses or take Lexapro off-schedule? Drink alcohol? Have antibiotic treatment?

I I went without alcohol and no antibiotics. I was not on Lex at the time,  it was an abrupt stop on Lex then a quick introduction to Effexor

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

You took Lexapro 2014-2020. In this period, did you accidentally skip doses or take Lexapro off-schedule? Drink alcohol? Have antibiotic treatment?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, farmley0223 said:

Head pressure (like a rubber band is wrapped

This is something I suffered from and wrote on my blog. Yes, it was like a rubber band on the brain!!!!

I don't speak English fluently but I speak to you with google translator

2005-2006:Diversity in taking medications
 2006-2019 Seroxat 20 mg
 2020-2021 Cipralex 15 mg
 Mar 2021 it has decreased from 15 mg to 12.5 mg/Aug 2021 9mg/Sep 12, 2021 8mg/Oct 12, 2021 7mg / Nov 12, 2021 6mg / Dec 12, 2021 5mg / Jan 12, 2022 4.5mg /Feb 12, 2022 4mg/Mar-Apr 3.5mg/May 3mg The beginning of severe withdrawal

/sep 23, 2022 2.5mg

On March 19, 2023, I ended up in the emergency room, with severe palpitations, panic, and severe mental and physical fatigue, then I went back to a dose of 20 milligrams of Seroxat to this day.

• 3 months later...

Update 7 months off Lexapro

Feeling defeated 7 months off! Still exceptionally tired! 

Head Pressure

TMJ

Heart Palpitations 

Blurry Vision

Nerve Pain

Brain Fog

Its like it never ends! I hope I feel better soon! I have a hinting suspicion that this led and also others caused me to get fibromyalgia and CFS! Albeit a mild case but it’s enough to render me bedbound! 

Im so damn annoyed and angry with the healing process!!!!

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Moderator Emeritus

merged new Intro with original Intro.

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Do you drink alcohol?

9 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Do you drink alcohol?

Rarely! If ever! 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

Are you able to get at least 1/2 hour of gentle exercise, such as walking, every day?

• 2 months later...

10 months off tomorrow and I’m having a difficult time!

does it always get this bad around almost a year off?

now I feel like I have something caught in my throat even though nothings there! 

I wish I would have never started them!! 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

There are no set cycles in withdrawal syndrome. How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

20 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

There are no set cycles in withdrawal syndrome. How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

I have had a pretty good streak lately but my health anxiety has been exacerbated since I got off SSRI meds! 

However I have been under a lot of stress since my husband and I bought our first house! It takes a lot of responsibility and action in things!

My symptoms have pretty remained the same but have lessened a little 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

You may be going through a difficult period because of your current situational stress. This is normal for withdrawal syndrome.

• 3 weeks later...

I am now almost 11 months off Lex. I have had increasing tinnitus and overall fatigue. 

I still have general overall pain in my shoulders, neck and my head feels like its still under constant pressure. TONS of muscle soreness specifically in my upper part of my body. Temperature regulation is also an issue and blurry vision. It sounds a lot like dysautonomia symptoms. 

Do you think it is possible to have drug induced dysautonomia from all the meds that I have been on? 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

Is it possible you have covid? Did you have covid?

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

Is it possible you have covid? Did you have covid?

It’s been touch and go with small windows! I had COVID back in July of 2022, but I just tested for COVID for an event last night and I’m definitely negative!

It could very well be long COVID that I’m going through! It wouldn’t be surprising!

my symptoms are

pins and needles, especially in my feet!

migraines

heart palpitations 

coat hanger soreness

chronic fatigue 

globus sensation 

muscle soreness 

flu like symptoms 

these vary in intensity from month to month but always seem to occur almost daily since being off! Month 10 is the toughest! 

Worst withdrawl ever. 

• Administrator

We cannot distinguish between long covid and protracted withdrawal symptoms. If these symptoms arose after you got covid, it may be more likely to be long covid.

You might try stretching exercises, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, or osteopathic manual therapy for the back and muscle pain.