Kellie1990: Day 8 on 30mg duloxetine / Cymbalta

Kellie1990

Hi all,

I am on day 8 of my first trial of Duloxetine 30mg. I’ve battled with depression a few times when younger and am quite anxious generally, but had never tried ADs and have been really against them. 

Recently, life threw a series of curve balls in a short period of time - a death in the family, lost job, and partner. I have in the past managed to get out of depression on my own, but this time felt I needed extra support and was provided these drugs before even given a mental health plan to see a psychologist. 

My first 4 days on this drug was the worst I have ever felt. Depression increased tenfold, worse than what I was feeling, brain zaps, confusion, dry mouth, constipation, jitters, sweats and moments of pure despair. It was terrifying and I’ve never felt so alone. 

By day 7 things started to settle, but I still feel not myself, emotionally flat, detached. I feel calm and the depressive symptoms have also settled. I’m convinced though that these aren’t the drugs for me and I need to stop and cure myself naturally. I’m so scared of this drug having experienced the initial side effects.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced stopping or tapering at short notice having only been on this drug for a bit over 1 week - what was the experience? Is there a potential for relapse? Any advice would be super helpful 😥🙏🙏

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kellie1990: Day 8 on 30mg duloxetine / Cymbalta
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Kellie

Emotional blunting, indifference, or apathy are very common effects of antidepressants. Some people welcome this sensation, it's how the drug "works" for them.

Since you've been on 30mg for such a short time, you might simply quit taking it. You might feel odd for a while from the after-effects of the drug and going off.

We cannot assure you that will not feel your original emotional distress again. You've been through a lot and it isn't like those upsets and memories have gone away. Not every case of "depression" requires drug treatment. You might want to seek non-drug techniques for managing those feelings, or working through them to a new understanding of yourself, with a psychotherapist or other counselor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.