Sorah: on meds for 8 years, currently on 5mg Abilify & 600mg Lithium - slowly tapering

Sorah

Hi all, I've been following and reading the forums for awhile now, probably a few years when I finally decided I should sign up as I have unsuccessfully tried to taper off my meds twice in the past which lead to extremely severe withdrawal symptoms that landed me in the hospital both times I tried to taper off. 

The two times I've tried to taper off I knew nothing about how fast tapers can have such a strong effect on the nervous system. I basically CT off the first time because I knew next to nothing about tapering and the second time, I tapered off under the supervision of my then psychiatrist who also knew next to nothing about doing a slow taper. He had me skip doses every other day, make fast and drastic cuts, and basically CT me off of my meds- he basically had me do everything I wasn't supposed to. The 2nd CT taper made me have really SEVERE w/d symptoms to the point where I had a really bad manic episode, was in the hospital for 6 weeks, and was then given the label/diagnosis of bipolar- in which they added in Lithium 1800mg as they now considered me 'bipolar.' I was initially labeled/diagnosed with depression and only took Abilify, when I initially started taking psych meds. 

Fast forward- it's been 4 years since that hospitalization and I've slowly tapered off my Abilify and Lithium, am now on 5mg Abilify (Was on 10mg originally post-discharge from the hospital) and 600mg Lithium (originally was on 1800mg). I did taper off my Lithium (from 1800mg--> 600mg now), in my opinion too quickly which led me to have strong w/d symptoms for at least a year, but now my brain and NS are stabilized. 

I'm going to be tapering off slowly (learned SO MUCH from those past 2 traumatic CT tapers), I think first my Abilify then the Lithium. I am planning on doing a liquid taper b/c from what I've read from others in the layperson community, it is easier and more precise, especially when you are at very low doses. I have all the equipment including different size syringes. I even bought a jewelry scale and everything else for dry tapering, but I tried it but couldn't seem to understand exactly how to do it (not the best with math/being good with my hands). And liquid tapering w/ water seems to work well and be easier to control with for most people who's forums I've read on here. 

Just so that I can OK to go for the liquid, would anyone know if I could do a liquid taper for Abilify and Lithium using just water. I know it'll be a suspension not a solution, so I'm guessing it would be OK and from what I've read on here, but I just want to be on the safe side and really sure that I'm not going to be messing anything up w/ the liquid taper. Thanks for reading, and hoping and praying for everyone's taper to go smoothly and safe. 

-02/2014 Started taking Abilify 15mg

-08/2014 CT off of Abilify

-12/2014 Hospitalized d/t CT of Abilify 15mg (w/d symptoms came several months after my last dose) 

-12/2014 to 09/2018 took Abilify, tapered off very fast and down to 0mg (basically did CT, under supervision/ "guidance" of my psychiatrist)

-12/2018 Hospitalized 2nd time from tapering off Abilify, in hospital- docs added Lithium 1800mg along with reinstating 10mg Abilify

-01/2019- present: tapering off slowly Abilify and Lithium (currently on 5mg Abilify and 600mg Lithium), doing well, stabilized nervous system for the most part

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sorah: on meds for 8 years, currently on 5mg Abilify & 600mg Lithium - slowly tapering
  • 2 weeks later...

@Sorah

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

We don't suggest tapering two medications at the same time as you don't know which one may be causing wd symptoms. And we do not suggest more than 10% a month, some members go much slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Here is some information on tapering the drugs.

Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

Tips for tapering off lithium

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the central nervous system, except 2. If you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.