Young Australians: Antidepressants and Suicidality. Do you have a story you want to share?

ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

https://shoutout.wix.com/so/0bO5_bK1R?languageTag=en&cid=12813148-d39b-4fb6-b737-2e89f894ee23#/main

image.jpg

At least two media outlets are preparing news stories covering progress on the TGA Inquiry into the possibility of a link between antidepressant use, and suicide and self-harm among young Australians. They are interested in speaking to patients and/or family members with experience of this issue.

For many of those that have an experience their stories are personal and too difficult to share. That is perfectly understandable. However, if you have a story, or know someone who does, and would consider talking to one of the journalists please let me know by return email. If you include your contact number we can have a chat before you decide whether you want to share your story on not. I will not pass on any details without your permission.

The TGA Inquiry resulted from research conducted by the PsychWatch Australia editorial team (Dr Martin Whitely and Dr Melissa Raven) and Prof Jon Jureidini that was published in 2020. We found that despite FDA and TGA warnings (in 2004, 2005 and 2007) that antidepressant use increases the risk of suicidality in patients with depression aged under 25, rates of both antidepressant use and suicide/self-harm have grown alarmingly since 2009.

The TGA Inquiry began two years ago. We three authors of the 2020 research have written an ‘Issue Update’ on the progress of the TGA Inquiry. The Issue Update has been endorsed by numerous prominent (and ethical) psychiatrists, psychologists and GPs and has been provided to the new Australian Minister for Health, Mark Butler.

Sadly, it is often a struggle to get these sorts of medication safety concerns taken seriously. Too often the same ‘experts’ (with obvious conflicts of interest) who have contributed to the problem are asked for advice (with predictable results). However, in this case I am moderately optimistic that there is a real chance of progress towards safer and more effective support for distressed and anxious young Australians.

Thankyou

Dr Martin Whitely

Editor/Publisher PsychWatch Australia

psychwatchaustralia at (symbol) gmail dot (symbol) com

PsychWatch Australia website

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management