UK university wants to interview people recently off antidepressants for £50 Amazon gift card

Altostrata

• Administrator

image.png

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"Have you attempted to stop taking them in the past year?"

"The lived experience of the antidepressant withdrawal process" sounds good, but then under exclusion criteria, participants where "their most recent withdrawal experience was more than a year ago". 

Doesn't this reveal a bias/flaw or at least confusion in the study design as to how "withdrawal" is conceived and defined? If this is indeed about "the lived experience of the antidepressant withdrawal process", that should include PWS and PAWS, both of which often entail "withdrawal experiences" that last well over a year. However these "withdrawal experiences" might still be considered attempts to stop taking antidepressants (I'd say such an attempt is complete/successful when one is healed). 

Am I missing something? I get the feeling that the way the study description is worded shows cracks in the researchers' foundation/view/premise, but maybe I'm misunderstanding?

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

I was thinking the same thing when I read this.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

How perfect.  Automatically exclude anyone over a year.  And there is no verification here plus excludes those under 6 months on. Can we say sample bias?

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Please write the researchers with your questions. Post answers here. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I would have loved to participate in this study, but my attempt to stop AD's was about 10 years ago.  I had not found SA then or gotten any information about the 10% gradual taper rule, and meanwhile continued feeling crappy.  I'm about to start my next and hopefully final tapering process soon.

Put on Zoloft in late 2002 at almost 18 years of age.  Was never told to get off the drug by the dumbass child psychiatrist who I know hate forever, and was given mistaken information of how I needed to stay off of it.  Tapered off very fast (a few month taper) in summer of 2011 (about an 8.5 year history).  Had an amazing month in Costa Rica drug free.

Crashed fall of 2011 (passive suicidal ideation, arms and legs shaking uncontrollably during the date, insomnia, severe crying spells, doom, derealization) and was put on Lexapro and a benzo (I think Lorazepam).  Was so afraid of repeating that so I stayed on Lexapro but tapered off the benzo very fast (a month). 

Entered abusive marriage in 2015 and started having unbearable symptoms such as burning arms and body, insomnia, deep depression, and anxiety.  I felt I had no supportive environment to talk about the abuse, and instead went to a PCP for medical relief: I was put on Klonopin (1 mg a day, I think) and Trazodone (50 mg a day) by PCP in early 2016.

Unsuccessful too-fast Klonopin taper 2017-2018 (jumped off at 0.125 mg at psychiatrists' urging me to do a fast taper) and went back on it late 2018.

Been tapering off Klonopin since 2020 (Divorce process underway) and much later, switched to diazepam. 

Switched from 0.0625 mg Klonopin to 2 mg Diazepam around September 2021.  Tapered Diazepam from September 2021-August 2022.  As of August 2022, been taking around 0.5 mg Diazepam.  But I did something foolish and temporarily went back on expired crushed powdered Clonazepam for a month or so because I was afraid of running out of Diazepam. (I say around because I was using a liquid formulation, then the liquid formulation is no longer being produced by manufacturer, and I am cutting/crushing pills).

As of October 2022, here are my drugs and dosages: Lexapro 10 mg, Trazodone 50 mg, Diazepam 0.5 mg. 

As of February 2023: Lexapro 9 mg, Trazodone 50 mg, Diazepam 0.5 mg

April 18th, 2023: Updosed to 9.2 Lexapro, still Trazodone 50 mg, Diazepam 0.5 mg

July 3rd, 2023: 10 mg Lexapro, still Trazodone 50 mg, Diazepam 1 mg (updose); Dates I took Propranalol plus dosages: July 22nd (40 mg), July 17th (40 mg), June 29th (20 mg), June 16th (20 mg), May 20th (5 mg)

• Administrator

Please write the researchers with your comments and questions. Thanks.