Ethical disposal of psychiatric drugs

anytriptaline

I use an analytical scale for my taper, currently less than 1mg of amitriptyline, and around 7mg of weight

I want to try to quit entirely before the end of the year, but in case it's not possible, I want to try to use a liquid taper to see if it might help getting into lower doses

My main issue is. How is everyone disposing the remaining unused liquid? I don't feel throwing it in the kitchen sink is the most ethical solution

2007-2018 25mg-50mg Amitriptyline, 4mg Perphenazine, 500mg Valproic Acid

Nov 2018-February 2019 quetiapine, mirtazapine, pregabaline, estazolam, agomelatine, levomepromazine, trazodone, sulpiride

March 2019 - 37.5mg Amitriptyline, 4mg Perphenazine, waiting to tapper off slowly

February 2023 - Finished taper

• Moderator Emeritus

I have never even thought about this.

I've just done a search and found this using the search term disposal of prescription medication:

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/prescription/how-to-dispose-of-prescription-drugs

I suggest that you ask your pharmacist.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ethical disposal of psychiatric drugs

I was informed by 2 separate septic system companies, one at my old house and a new one at my new location, that if you take chronic medication you will need to have your tank pumped more often. I found this out after going with the standard pumping frequency and the tank overflowed in to my leech-field and clogged it. I had to shell out $1200 to have it pumped out and have the leech-field cleaned out and restored to operation. As always I learned the hard way. Turns out that chronic medication can kill off the bacteria that is necessary to break down the solids in the tank. Just another example of how toxic all of this stuff really is. Here is an article which discusses this.

https://groundstone.ca/2018/07/pharmaceuticals-and-septic-systems/

Additionally, if you dispose of medications into the sewer system, it is being found that medications discharged into water bodies are having adverse effects on aquatic life. Here is an article which discusses this and there are other more recent articles you can find as well. They are finding that psychiatric medications discharged into the water are affecting feeding and breeding patterns of aquatic life.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/drugs-in-the-water

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

Thank you for this @FeralCatman

Excerpt from the article linked to in above comment:

4 ways to reduce your pharmaceutical footprint

Limit bulk purchases. 

Volume discounts make the price attractive, but big bottles of unused pills create an opportunity for medications to end up in the water.

Use drug take-back programs. 

A federal law went into effect in 2010 that makes it easier for those programs to be organized at a local level, so you may see one in your community. The federal Drug Enforcement Agency has held two national drug take-back days and is likely to organize some more.

Do not flush unused medicines or pour them down the drain. 

This is the very least you can do. But the FDA advises that certain powerful narcotic pain medications should be flushed because of concerns about accidental overdose or illicit use unless you can find a drug take-back program that will accept them. We've posted a list of the narcotics on our Web site at /healthextra.

Be careful about how you throw medications into the trash. 

Medications thrown into the trash end up being incinerated or buried in landfills, which is preferable to flushing them or pouring them down the drain. If you put them in the trash, remove them from the packaging, crush them, and seal them in a plastic bag with some water. You're supposed to add sawdust, cat litter, coffee grounds, or some other unappealing material to the bag. That isn't for environmental reasons, but to cut down on the chances that a child or animal might eat the contents. You should also be careful to peel off any identifying information from containers of prescription medicine.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/drugs-in-the-water

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy