Juliap96: How long to stabilize after reinstating Zoloft?

Juliap96

Hi everyone,

I stopped my 200 mg Zoloft basically cold turkey that I had been on for 4+ years (one of my dumbest ideas yet) and I didn't start getting withdrawal symptoms for almost a month. 
After about 3 weeks of withdrawals, I've now been back on 100 mg (at the advice of my doctor) for two weeks because the symptoms were so bad, and I've been incredibly nauseous the whole time. Is this normal?
I've been bedridden from the nausea (and dizziness, insomnia, etc, but the nausea is the most debilitating)
If anyone else has experience with this, how long did the side effects from coming back on it last? I'm so terrified that this is going to be permanent. 

Jan 2017: Started on 100 mg Zoloft

April 2017: Upped dosage to 200 mg

Early May 2022: CT off 200 mg

Late June 2022: reinstated 100 mg

Currently trying to stabilize after reinstatement 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Juliap96: How long to stabilize after reinstating Zoloft?

@Juliap96

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site that helps people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm very sorry you are going through this. This is a horrible, and unfortunate normal wd symptom. I can relate with you 100%, as that was my main wd symptom.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Have you tried ginger? They actually sell lollipops for pregnant women with nausea. I found those somewhat helpful. Crackers, bland food such as applesauce, toast, tea, ginger ale. 

Since you have been on this for at least 3 weeks now, I would hold until you stabilize before you begin to do a very small taper.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We don't suggest supplements on here except 2 because they can be too stimulating. But if you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before trying the other one.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm very sorry you are going through this. I hope I have provided you with some links to help. Please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@Juliap96

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site that helps people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can you please create a signature.

I'm very sorry you are going through this. This is a horrible, and unfortunate normal wd symptom. I can relate with you 100%, as that was my main wd symptom.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Have you tried ginger? They actually sell lollipops for pregnant women with nausea. I found those somewhat helpful. Crackers, bland food such as applesauce, toast, tea, ginger ale. 

Since you have been on this for at least 3 weeks now, I would hold until you stabilize before you begin to do a very small taper.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We don't suggest supplements on here except 2 because they can be too stimulating. But if you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before trying the other one.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm very sorry you are going through this. I hope I have provided you with some links to help. Please reach out with any questions you may have.

Thanks for your reply!

im trying to figure out my signature.

can I ask how severe your nausea was, and long it took to get better?

@Juliap96

Here is the link to create your signature.

Unfortunately, my nausea lasted all through my whole taper of Lexapro. I felt like I had morning sickness 24/7. But I'm hoping you will stabilize if you hold a while longer. Just try the suggestions that I gave you, they did help me. 

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@Juliap96

Here is the link to create your signature.

Unfortunately, my nausea lasted all through my whole taper of Lexapro. I felt like I had morning sickness 24/7. But I'm hoping you will stabilize if you hold a while longer. Just try the suggestions that I gave you, they did help me. 

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

I am just panicking because I reinstated after the 3 week window. I think it was around 6 weeks for me. I've heard such bad things. But I reinstated before I found these groups.

@Juliap96

I think with a long hold since it's already been 6 weeks you should start to stabilize.

Do you feel better at all or worse since you reinstated?

If you could keep notes for a few days, we could figure out what is going on.

Keep Notes on Paper

Here are some links that you might find helpful also.

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

11 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@Juliap96

I think with a long hold since it's already been 6 weeks you should start to stabilize.

Do you feel better at all or worse since you reinstated?

If you could keep notes for a few days, we could figure out what is going on.

Keep Notes on Paper

Here are some links that you might find helpful also.

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

Thank you so much for the links.

Since reinstating, I've felt better in some ways and worse in others.

My uncontrollable tremors and migraines are gone, but the nausea has worsened and now I'm getting worse dizziness/head pressure.

Here's a brief rundown of the last few months:

Early May-- CT off 200 mg

Mid-Late May-- completely fine, other than some nightmares

Early June-- severe nausea, migraines, dizziness, tremors, nightmares

Mid-Late June-- these symptoms continued for 3 weeks.

Went to ER three times, all tests came back normal. Finally realized it may be Zoloft

June 21-- reinstated 100 mg 

Currently July 8th, still experiencing severe nausea and dizziness (currently bedridden from the nausea) 

@Juliap96

So you have only reinstated about 3 weeks ago at 100 mg?

You could try cutting the dosage by 25% and hold for 7-10 days for it to reach full capacity in your bloodstream and brain and see if that helps.

In the meantime, please do the notes for a few days.

9 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@Juliap96

So you have only reinstated about 3 weeks ago at 100 mg?

You could try cutting the dosage by 25% and hold for 7-10 days for it to reach full capacity in your bloodstream and brain and see if that helps.

In the meantime, please do the notes for a few days.

That's correct. I'm nervous to even touch the dosage at the risk of feeling even worse.

Maybe I should just stay at 100 mg until I start to feel better? I'm just so worried that I'll never stabilize. 

I will definitely do the notes.

Only positive is that I'm not experiencing any psychological symptoms aside from insomnia. 

@Juliap96

Hold for a while longer and see if you stabilize, but do the notes so we can see if there is a pattern going on.

Try some of the links I provided and see if they help also.

5 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@Juliap96

Hold for a while longer and see if you stabilize, but do the notes so we can see if there is a pattern going on.

Try some of the links I provided and see if they help also.

i will definitely work on the notes. Would you say it's normal to still feel terrible 2 1/2 weeks after reinstatement? I'm so scared it won't get better.

@Juliap96

It's normal to feel like that for weeks.

You will stabilize. It may take a while but you will.

@Juliap96

Welcome to SA! I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are in good hands here. The mods are exceptionally caring & knowledgable. We are here for you! You WILL get though this. 

Ninaird

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg

8 minutes ago, Ninabird said:

@Juliap96

Welcome to SA! I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are in good hands here. The mods are exceptionally caring & knowledgable. We are here for you! You WILL get though this. 

Ninaird

Thank you so much. So good to know there's people who have experienced the same things as me.

Has anyone stabilized after late reinstatement of Zoloft?

I have panicked myself into thinking my symptoms will not go away because I reinstated about 6 weeks after CT. I just need some hope that I may get better. This nausea and dizziness has had me bedridden for weeks, and I can't bear to think that it will be permanent.

I have seen in the Facebook Zoloft group that some people never stabilize, and it's terrifying me that I may be bedridden for good now. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Also, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum-- still trying to figure this out!

Bump 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Julia,

I’m sorry you’re so scared, withdrawals can be a frightening experience. You have made some major changes with your meds, cold turkeying 200mg of Zoloft and then reinstating 100mg 6 weeks later. It’s going to take a while for your brain to get some kind of equilibrium again, like Froggie said. 

When I’ve made different changes in the past it could take me many, many months to even stabilise a little. At the moment I’m tapering by approximately 1.3% and I have to hold each drop for ages before I can do the next drop. These meds are so powerful. The nausea and dizziness should eventually go away, but no one can give you a time frame. Actually, I remember having nausea after cold turkeying a medication and it took quite a long time to stop, but it eventually stopped. 

Panicking about symptoms not going away can actually ramp up the symptoms even more. Can you do something to distract yourself? Maybe listen to a podcast or some music? Through severe waves I just keep distracting myself with different things, it’s not easy, but distractions can help us to get through each day. Best just to take an hour at a time, that’s what I do with withdrawals and other health problems. Again, not always easy, but you can do it. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Reinstated 100 mg Zoloft three weeks ago and I've been very dizzy ever since (along with nausea, insomnia, vision problems, etc.)

Does anybody have any insight as to why exactly people get dizzy on these drugs? I think it may help ease my nerves to know why I feel this way. 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Juliap96 how are you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.