Ruby22: severe pain - need advice about reinstating

Ruby22

• Administrator

@Ruby22 we provide peer support for going off psychiatric drugs. Usually, our approach is not the same as a psychiatrist's. 

Since you quit all your drugs following your psychiatrist's advice, the most obvious explanation for your symptoms would be withdrawal effects. If you want to follow your psychiatrist's instructions in quitting and adjusting your drugs, please talk to your psychiatrist about any adverse effects of following her recommendations. She is responsible for any problems you might have, that's what you pay her for. We're not going to play backup or clean up.

You came here with adverse drug effects -- which your psychiatrist should have recognized. It appears that you have a history of overdosage with serotonergics, including Adderall. You may be a person who is sensitive to these, or a slow metabolizer of these drugs. We don't diagnose or treat and we're not going to help you get re-medicated with Adderall or anything else. We're about going off drugs.

Please let us know when you want to taper off your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

That’s fair, can I ask, what advice would you give me with where I am at right now? If kindling can cause these over-activation symptoms, is the damage done and I need to wait it out and not ever go back on supplements like 5-htp or the adderall? 

2017 - started Prozac 20mg in 2017 for seasonal affective disorder and anxiety.

Winter 2018 - 40mg in winter/20mg in summer for 2 years, Winter 2020  - 60/40 for one year, then 60mg 1 year

August 2020 - started 20mg twice daily instant-release Adderall (for Narcolepsy)

July 2021 - started 300mg Armodafinil September 2021 - Started Xywav, Discontinued Armodafinil

Jan 2022 - Diagnosed with serotonin toxicity 

Jan 2022-April 11 - Rapid taper from 60mg to 20mg, CT'd Prozac at 20mg because toxicity came back

April 11 - June 6: Microdosed with 0.5-1mg doses of prozac 

July 7 - Started 50mg 5-htp on 7/7, curcumin, modified cictrus pectin; July 7 - 12 - Trial off of the Adderall

July 13 - Resumed Adderall at 20mg/day taken in 4 5mg doses;

July 22 -  100mg 5-htp, started Acyclovir (antiviral); July 29 - Stopped Acyclovir

July 30 - Reinstated 1mg of Prozac, Went down to 50mg 5-htp

August 5 - discontinued reinstatement, discontinued 5-htp, treated with cyproheptadine 

• Administrator

I wouldn't call it kindling, it looks to me like chronic overdosing, which didn't help with your own addition of 5-HTP and "microdoses" of Prozac.

First, I would discuss your withdrawal symptoms with your current doctor. Then, I would find a new doctor who's not so enthusiastic about prescribing drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I wouldn't call it kindling, it looks to me like chronic overdosing, which didn't help with your own addition of 5-HTP and "microdoses" of Prozac.

First, I would discuss your withdrawal symptoms with your current doctor. Then, I would find a new doctor who's not so enthusiastic about prescribing drugs.

She actually is enthusiastic about getting me off drugs. I’m just enthusiastic about feeling better sooner and tried taking shortcuts. But I’ve learned my lesson, so I’ll stay off and hopefully time will heal me. 

Winter 2018 - 40mg in winter/20mg in summer for 2 years, Winter 2020  - 60/40 for one year, then 60mg 1 year

August 2020 - started 20mg twice daily instant-release Adderall (for Narcolepsy)

July 2021 - started 300mg Armodafinil September 2021 - Started Xywav, Discontinued Armodafinil

Jan 2022-April 11 - Rapid taper from 60mg to 20mg, CT'd Prozac at 20mg because toxicity came back

July 7 - Started 50mg 5-htp on 7/7, curcumin, modified cictrus pectin; July 7 - 12 - Trial off of the Adderall

July 22 -  100mg 5-htp, started Acyclovir (antiviral); July 29 - Stopped Acyclovir

August 5 - discontinued reinstatement, discontinued 5-htp, treated with cyproheptadine 

• Administrator

Is this not the psychiatrist who prescribed all that Adderall? Please let this be a learning experience for your psychiatrist, who apparently is blasé about your suffering withdrawal symptoms. We would never have told you to cold turkey all your drugs at once.

If you've gone through a period of serotonin toxicity, it's probably best you not take any more serotonergics, including amphetamines or other stimulants.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Is this not the psychiatrist who prescribed all that Adderall? Please let this be a learning experience for your psychiatrist, who apparently is blasé about your suffering withdrawal symptoms. We would never have told you to cold turkey all your drugs at once.

If you've gone through a period of serotonin toxicity, it's probably best you not take any more serotonergics, including amphetamines or other stimulants.

My sleep doctor prescribed the Adderall. And yeah, I think I will be pretty miserable for a while with some acute withdrawal. Out of curiosity, have you seen in your experience on here anyone who had serotonin toxicity and withdrawal syndrome simultaneously? 

• Administrator

We cannot tell the difference between the aftermath of serotonin toxicity and withdrawal. But since you got new, worse symptoms right on time after cold-turkey of several drugs, those probably are withdrawal symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates: I’m doing a lot better now. I’m only taking my Xywav, citrus pectin, curcumin, and multivitamin. The overstimulation is almost completely gone, dizziness is much better, vibrating vision is gone, and the head sensations have calmed down a lot. I’m sleeping well on my Xywav again. I still have internal vibrations on and off but it’s not anywhere as bad. My spasms were awful last week but seem much better this week. I’m still having a lot of all over nerve pain, leg stiffness, and tightness in my chest, back, and neck, but these aren’t new symptoms. 

I could use some advice. I got some test results back from my naturopath showing that I am having an immune response to gluten and may have an allergy. Also, I seem to have lots of bacterial overgrowth in my gut as well as a bacterial infection. He offered me a natural option that could help with it or I could do an antibiotic course that would knock it out. I’m very hesitant to take anything else right now. But he pointed out that since most serotonin is produced in the gut, the state of my gut might be inhibiting serotonin production and making my withdrawal worse. So I have to decided if/when I should I try to do something about this. Cutting out gluten seems risk free. At some point I have to treat the infection. How risky is this? Can taking an antibiotic to get rid of an infection make withdrawal symptoms worse? 

• Administrator

Good to hear your withdrawal symptoms are clearing up. Please keep in mind you have been prescribed incorrectly several times, and think twice about additional psychiatric drugs.

Some naturopaths are good and some are not. You have to judge for yourself if this practitioner has ordered valid tests and is interpreting them correctly. If you pursue this naturopath's treatments and get sick, you will have to confer with the naturopath about it, we don't know anything about those treatments.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Ruby22 said:

Can taking an antibiotic to get rid of an infection make withdrawal symptoms worse? 

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

If it was me I would only be taking an antibiotic if there was definitely something that shows up in a proper test AND if there was no other option.  The "go to antibiotic" for some things is the ones that there are warnings about in Post #1 of the above topic.  If you are prescribed anything please do your own research BEFORE taking it.  I was prescribed a fluoroquinoline for an infection that showed up in a blood test (but didn't know where) and I did a search and found out that the FDA has issued three warnings about that drug, one of them being that it can cause ruptured tendons, especially in older people (early 60s at the time).  I didn't take anything and had another blood test done a few days later and the infection markers had dropped.

6 hours ago, Ruby22 said:

He offered me a natural option that could help with it

SA recommends when trying anything new to only take a single supplement/vitamin/whatever not a complex and to only start with a very low dose to see how you react to it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

I would not take an antibiotic unless you're sure valid tests were ordered that show what the bug is.

21 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

If it was me I would only be taking an antibiotic if there was definitely something that shows up in a proper test AND if there was no other option.  The "go to antibiotic" for some things is the ones that there are warnings about in Post #1 of the above topic.  If you are prescribed anything please do your own research BEFORE taking it.  I was prescribed a fluoroquinoline for an infection that showed up in a blood test (but didn't know where) and I did a search and found out that the FDA has issued three warnings about that drug, one of them being that it can cause ruptured tendons, especially in older people (early 60s at the time).  I didn't take anything and had another blood test done a few days later and the infection markers had dropped.

SA recommends when trying anything new to only take a single supplement/vitamin/whatever not a complex and to only start with a very low dose to see how you react to it.

I tested positive for H. Pylori which apparently does not go away without treatment. However the treatment regimen is 2 antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor which is an insane amount of meds to introduce right now. So I do think I want to hold off on this. The only reason I’m considering it at some point is if the infection could be contributing to my gum recession. Apparently there is link between this infection and gum disease. But I also only started having gum recession (despite having good oral hygiene) in withdrawal so I think it’s more likely the stress and damage to my CNS is playing a greater role than the infection. It’s just really stressing me out that I can’t do anything to stop it. It’s stressing me out that I can’t do anything to solve any of this. 

• Moderator Emeritus
25 minutes ago, Ruby22 said:

I tested positive for H. Pylori which apparently does not go away without treatment. However the treatment regimen is 2 antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor which is an insane amount of meds to introduce right now.

From Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356177:

H. pylori infections are usually treated with at least two different antibiotics at once. This helps prevent the bacteria from developing a resistance to one particular antibiotic. Treatment may also include medications to help your stomach heal, including: Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).

H. pylori (Heliobacter pylori, pronounced Hel-ee-koh-BAK-ter Pie-LORE-ee) is a type of bacteria that infects your stomach. It can damage the tissue in your stomach and the first part of your small intestine (the duodenum). This can cause redness and soreness (inflammation). In some cases it can also cause painful sores called peptic ulcers in ...

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

The search results of the site for the term pylori:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=pylori

What was the reason you went to a naturopath? Did you have any digestive problems?

Also curious: what is the natural treatment option?

Personally, I would not take antibiotics unless I absolutely have to. Antibiotics do not target just the harmful bacteria, they kill the beneficial ones as well. I would go a healthy diet route: no alcohol, no caffeine (can be found in coffee, non-herbal teas, chocolate), no refined sugars (including drinks), more vegetables, fruit, beans. I was googling H. Pylori and diet a while back for my dad, and apparently cabbage kills H. Pylori.

https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/digestion-articles/helicobacter-pylori-diet-top-foods-to-eat-and-avoid/

I'm no expert on bacterial overgrowth, but I do know there are topics on this forum regarding bacterial overgrowth in the intestines. Perhaps they are useful for you.

2006 - Paroxetine, 20 mg

2008 / 2018 - Several mostly unsuccessful attempts at tapering, without knowledge of withdrawal

2019 - Decrease from 20 mg to 15 mg (June), from 15 mg to 10 mg (Dec)

2020 - Switch to 10 mg liquid citalopram (Feb), decrease to 8 mg (Apr), 6 mg (June), 4 mg (July) without clear symptoms. 3.2 mg (Sep 9), 3 mg (Sep 23), 2.8 mg (Oct 10), 2.6 mg (Oct 26), 2 mg (Nov 13).  Tapered to 1.68 mg in steps of 0.16 mg (Dec 3). Withdrawal kicked in hard. Increase to 1.8 mg (Dec 8), increase to 1.92 mg (Dec 18)

2021 - Increase to 2.2 mg (Jan 1), decrease to 2 mg (Feb 8 ), 1.92 mg (March 21), 1.8 mg (Apr 2), 1.68 mg (Apr 25), 1.56 mg (June 6), 1.52 mg (Sep 5), 1.48 mg (Sep 20), 1.44 mg (Oct 4), 1.4 mg (Oct 18), 1.36 (Nov 1)

2022 - 1.32 mg (Feb 4) - Covid (March 7) - 1.28 mg (Jul 21), 1.24 mg (Oct 3), 1.2 mg (Nov 26)

2023 - Holding at 1.2 mg

Other medication: sumatriptan 50 mg, when needed (migraine)

On 8/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, NardilTime said:

Unfortunately your dad is 100% wrong. Doctors simply don’t understand or are unwilling to understand the truth about the reactions people have on these drugs. You sound exactly like me. It’s on another level. That’s because it’s not real natural anxiety. It’s chemically induced anxiety. I’m sorry you don’t have his support. But know this, you are right. What you are feeling is real. I got gaslit too and it’s the worst feeling ever. I wish I had come in contact with somebody who had validated what I knew to be true. Took me a lot longer to find the recovery community. But you’ve found it. Keep pushing and listen to the mods, especially alto. 

I want to add to this comment that I relate entirely as well. My father is a pharmacist, the irony is he is on an SSRI, and he does not believe my symptoms are caused by my ssri withdrawal . I too have extremely strange, debilitating, anxiety and other stuff typical of withdrawal. My psychiatrist did not believe it was withdrawal. My psychologist NEVER believed it was withdrawal. My mother half believes it but thinks I should personally make more efforts to get better. It’s hard to feel so misunderstood. But we have this forum at least! I believe you, we’re in the same boat. 💛

April 2020: 10mg Escitalopram 

July 2020: fast tapper tried to quit. Failed. 
september 2020: Trintellix 20mg. 
october 2021: fast taper off Trintellix (1 week). Reinstated 10mg in January 2022 for 3 weeks, failed, kindling effect so I quit rapidly, now off meds since then. 

9 hours ago, Momiki said:

What was the reason you went to a naturopath? Did you have any digestive problems?

Also curious: what is the natural treatment option?

Personally, I would not take antibiotics unless I absolutely have to. Antibiotics do not target just the harmful bacteria, they kill the beneficial ones as well. I would go a healthy diet route: no alcohol, no caffeine (can be found in coffee, non-herbal teas, chocolate), no refined sugars (including drinks), more vegetables, fruit, beans. I was googling H. Pylori and diet a while back for my dad, and apparently cabbage kills H. Pylori.

https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/digestion-articles/helicobacter-pylori-diet-top-foods-to-eat-and-avoid/

I'm no expert on bacterial overgrowth, but I do know there are topics on this forum regarding bacterial overgrowth in the intestines. Perhaps they are useful for you.

I went to see if there was anything that could help with the withdrawal symptoms, primarily the nerve pain. 

I think the natural option was either probiophage df or sbi protect powder. I will look into that forum. Thanks for that! 

8 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

I want to add to this comment that I relate entirely as well. My father is a pharmacist, the irony is he is on an SSRI, and he does not believe my symptoms are caused by my ssri withdrawal . I too have extremely strange, debilitating, anxiety and other stuff typical of withdrawal. My psychiatrist did not believe it was withdrawal. My psychologist NEVER believed it was withdrawal. My mother half believes it but thinks I should personally make more efforts to get better. It’s hard to feel so misunderstood. But we have this forum at least! I believe you, we’re in the same boat. 💛

My parents do at least think I have protracted withdrawal but they also think I have more control over the mental symptoms than I do. I’m trying my best to keep living my life as normally as possible. I’m still doing research and trying to go to the office and it does seem to help lift my spirits a bit. I just don’t want things to get any worse because then I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay in graduate school. I hope things start to get better soon. I’ll take just a little bit better. I spoke too soon on the vibration calming down because it’s back again and it’s so frustrating. Thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it. 

• Administrator

If you have h. pylori, you should have it treated medically with antibiotics.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I am going to get the course. I may just wait a little longer for the vibration and anxiety to calm down more. I’m really hoping the antibiotic course won’t worsen my symptoms, but I think it’s something I need to do relatively soon. 

On 8/20/2022 at 5:32 AM, Nypeaches89 said:

My parents do at least think I have protracted withdrawal but they also think I have more control over the mental symptoms than I do. I’m trying my best to keep living my life as normally as possible. I’m still doing research and trying to go to the office and it does seem to help lift my spirits a bit. I just don’t want things to get any worse because then I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay in graduate school. I hope things start to get better soon. I’ll take just a little bit better. I spoke too soon on the vibration calming down because it’s back again and it’s so frustrating. Thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it. 

I’m in a particularly bad wave today. My mom who has been able to be here with me the last few months had to go back home for a while. She should hopefully be able to visit again in October, but the adjustment to being by myself is pretty rough. I am having such a hard time not worrying about my symptoms. I’m scared the pain won’t go away, I’m scared these symptoms won’t go away. The hardest part is maintaining hope that things will get better when the day to day change seems so minimal. I am trying so hard to find the inner strength to cope with my situation and live my life the best I can while dealing with this. Today, my graduate advisors said I was making really good progress on my research which was a big win!

I was wondering, is there anyway to find someone on this site who is also in their twenties? I’m around people who seem to be in their prime health and it’s so hard not to compare with where I’m at. I am constantly longing to feel okay again. 

9 hours ago, Ruby22 said:

I’m in a particularly bad wave today. My mom who has been able to be here with me the last few months had to go back home for a while. She should hopefully be able to visit again in October, but the adjustment to being by myself is pretty rough. I am having such a hard time not worrying about my symptoms. I’m scared the pain won’t go away, I’m scared these symptoms won’t go away. The hardest part is maintaining hope that things will get better when the day to day change seems so minimal. I am trying so hard to find the inner strength to cope with my situation and live my life the best I can while dealing with this. Today, my graduate advisors said I was making really good progress on my research which was a big win!

I was wondering, is there anyway to find someone on this site who is also in their twenties? I’m around people who seem to be in their prime health and it’s so hard not to compare with where I’m at. I am constantly longing to feel okay again. 

Hi Ruby. 
You WILL feel better, remember that when you’re in a wave you will always feel like you’ll be in a wave eternally. But it’s false. This too shall pass. 

I see in your signature you cold turkey’d in January. I also quit very rapidly in October so I have a few months of advance, I can tell you it seems to get better at around month 10. Any mod reading this feel free to say what you think. Every withdrawal is different though indeed.  But u are relatively early in withdrawal so it’s not surprising you’re still having hard days. Don’t panic. It will pass. 

Could you take a walk to feel better? Or swim? Or do yoga?

october 2021: fast taper off Trintellix (1 week). Reinstated 10mg in January 2022 for 3 weeks, failed, kindling effect so I quit rapidly, now off meds since then. 

Hi @Ruby22

12 hours ago, Ruby22 said:

I was wondering, is there anyway to find someone on this site who is also in their twenties?

(by the way, SA works best on a computer, makes it much easier to navigate the site and perform search function, etc.)

You might check out the following members:

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

7 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

Hi Ruby. 
You WILL feel better, remember that when you’re in a wave you will always feel like you’ll be in a wave eternally. But it’s false. This too shall pass. 

I see in your signature you cold turkey’d in January. I also quit very rapidly in October so I have a few months of advance, I can tell you it seems to get better at around month 10. Any mod reading this feel free to say what you think. Every withdrawal is different though indeed.  But u are relatively early in withdrawal so it’s not surprising you’re still having hard days. Don’t panic. It will pass. 

Could you take a walk to feel better? Or swim? Or do yoga?

I started tapering in January and CT’d in April, so I’m not sure if I’m 5 months out or 8 months since I had serotonin toxicity when I CT’d. I think I also made things much worse by the failed reinstatement. I was hoping it wouldn’t be too much of a set back but I’m having severe acute withdrawal symptoms again that I haven’t had in several months. Is it possible that things can get much worse before they start finally getting better? 10 months seems so far out, but you are getting decent windows now? 

I do like to walk and do yoga. The problem is I’m having so much pain and stiffness, it makes my normal hobbies difficult to do. It’s a good suggestion. I think I need to force myself to at least try to go for a walk every day. Thank you for your comment. 

17 hours ago, Ruby22 said:

I started tapering in January and CT’d in April, so I’m not sure if I’m 5 months out or 8 months since I had serotonin toxicity when I CT’d. I think I also made things much worse by the failed reinstatement. I was hoping it wouldn’t be too much of a set back but I’m having severe acute withdrawal symptoms again that I haven’t had in several months. Is it possible that things can get much worse before they start finally getting better? 10 months seems so far out, but you are getting decent windows now? 

I do like to walk and do yoga. The problem is I’m having so much pain and stiffness, it makes my normal hobbies difficult to do. It’s a good suggestion. I think I need to force myself to at least try to go for a walk every day. Thank you for your comment. 

I am in a window, it’s been 2 weeks. I feel totally healed right now, but waves are still likely to come back.
I think my contraceptive pill will help maintaining this window tho. 

I think we can assume you’re 5 months off so it’s kinda early withdrawal. I know it’s hard to be patient but it’s even harder to believe withdrawal is short and to get disappointed every month. Although I know someone who cold turkeyd (no taper at all), she was fine after 6 months. 
Im no professional but I do think forcing yourself to go for walks or do yoga would help you feel better…I know how hard it is. 

On 8/25/2022 at 5:29 AM, Nypeaches89 said:

I am in a window, it’s been 2 weeks. I feel totally healed right now, but waves are still likely to come back.
I think my contraceptive pill will help maintaining this window tho. 

I think we can assume you’re 5 months off so it’s kinda early withdrawal. I know it’s hard to be patient but it’s even harder to believe withdrawal is short and to get disappointed every month. Although I know someone who cold turkeyd (no taper at all), she was fine after 6 months. 
Im no professional but I do think forcing yourself to go for walks or do yoga would help you feel better…I know how hard it is. 

I did go for some walks these past few days! They do help. I’m glad you are feeling better and having a good window. You make a good point about patience. That’s never really been my strong suit. I’m trying to reframe and take things day by day and it does help ease some of the distress. Thank you for your post, it really helps to have someone to talk to about this. 

I have a couple symptoms that are causing a lot of distress that I’d like to ask about. Since the day I tried reinstating the prozac, I’ve had pretty consistent internal vibration, dizziness, and problems with visual accommodation. It’s been 25 days since I stopped the reinstatement with not much improvement in those symptoms. I feel a little nervous because when I had serotonin toxicity, I had dizziness and vision accommodation problems that didn’t resolve completely until 3-4 weeks after I quit the Prozac. For context, the toxicity was triggered when I reached my therapeutic dose on the Xywav. I had many other symptoms of toxicity aside from dizziness and vision problems (hyperreflexia, tremor, feeling hot all time, severe anxiety, overstimulation). All of these resolved completely within 4-6 weeks of stopping the Prozac and I was able to be on the Xywav with no issues. Xywav is now the only med I am on. I would just like to know if the difficulty accommodating vision and dizziness from the failed reinstatement can be adverse effects that just needs enough time to go away? I think I’m a bit fearful since these two symptoms are so similar to when I had toxicity, that maybe my Xywav is contributing to this. I really don’t want that to be the case. I don’t have hyperreflexia, overheating, or the severe overstimulation/anxiety that I had then, so that’s good. I’m just trying to get a sense of how many months I should give for the vision accommodation issues, dizziness, and vibration to show improvement before worrying about the Xywav causing it. Any input would be helpful. Thank you. 

Could I please have some input? I really don’t mean to be difficult with all these questions. I just would like to know how long these symptoms might take to start improving before I should consider whether the Xywav is causing any adverse effects? 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:53 AM, Ruby22 said:

Could I please have some input? I really don’t mean to be difficult with all these questions. I just would like to know how long these symptoms might take to start improving before I should consider whether the Xywav is causing any adverse effects? 

Is there any chance I am going through withdrawal from Xywav each day because of its short half life? Please please advise. I feel like I’m getting worse and I’m so scared. 

Hi @Ruby22:  I am so sorry you are feeling worse.  I know how scary this all can feel. You may need to tag a moderator to help you as I am not sure anyone has seen your recent posts. In looking through your thread, Alto was working with you in the past so you might want to tag her. To do this you would type the @ symbol and then type her name, select that and it would then tag her (it would look like how I addressed you) so she would then get a notification of your message. I hope this makes sense. Wishing you all the best, WR.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

1 hour ago, wantrelief said:

Hi @Ruby22:  I am so sorry you are feeling worse.  I know how scary this all can feel. You may need to tag a moderator to help you as I am not sure anyone has seen your recent posts. In looking through your thread, Alto was working with you in the past so you might want to tag her. To do this you would type the @ symbol and then type her name, select that and it would then tag her (it would look like how I addressed you) so she would then get a notification of your message. I hope this makes sense. Wishing you all the best, WR.

Oh thank you! I didn’t realize I could do that. 

Hi @Altostrata I just learned I could tag  so you would get a notification. Are you able to advise me regarding my last 3 posts (first one was from Monday)? I also wanted to ask if frequent pounding heart/tachycardia (especially waking up) and near constant muscle spasms are normal withdrawal symptoms? Thank you. 

• Administrator

The half-life of Xywav is so short, it is very unlikely any physiological adaptation to it would occur. You could have asked your prescriber about this.

Are you still doing this

On 8/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, Ruby22 said:

I normally take the adderall 9:15am, 12pm, 2:30, 4:45. It takes a half hour for the dose to kick and I feel really awful at the half hour mark (anxiety, fast heartbeat, tremor, spasms). And I feel really awful at 6:30-8 when it’s wearing off. I honestly don’t know if I can tolerate another dose. I’m shaking like crazy and feel completely overstimulated

Please re-read 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, Altostrata said:

@Ruby22 we provide peer support for going off psychiatric drugs. Usually, our approach is not the same as a psychiatrist's. 

Since you quit all your drugs following your psychiatrist's advice, the most obvious explanation for your symptoms would be withdrawal effects. If you want to follow your psychiatrist's instructions in quitting and adjusting your drugs, please talk to your psychiatrist about any adverse effects of following her recommendations. She is responsible for any problems you might have, that's what you pay her for. We're not going to play backup or clean up.

You came here with adverse drug effects -- which your psychiatrist should have recognized. It appears that you have a history of overdosage with serotonergics, including Adderall. You may be a person who is sensitive to these, or a slow metabolizer of these drugs. We don't diagnose or treat and we're not going to help you get re-medicated with Adderall or anything else. We're about going off drugs.

Please let us know when you want to taper off your drugs.

What did you do about this?

On 8/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, Altostrata said:

39 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

The half-life of Xywav is so short, it is very unlikely any physiological adaptation to it would occur. You could have asked your prescriber about this.

Are you still doing this

Please re-read 

What did you do about this?

So it’s unlikely the Xywav is causing anything. That’s a relief. Is it possible then to have vision that won’t accommodate and dizziness 24/7 as a withdrawal symptom? That started when I tried to reinstate, which is why I freaked out about toxicity. 

I am not taking any adderall because of how awake and anxious I’m feeling. The only med I am on is Xywav. All these bad symptoms started when I tried reinstating the Prozac and it hasn’t improved by much.

I have the antibiotic course but am holding off on taking it. I’m nervous about how I will react to the course and wanted to wait for some of the anxiety to calm down some before I take it.

Since the med fiasco, I am suffering an unbelievable amount of anxiety, fear, and panic on top of all the physical symptoms. I can barely function with how bad the anxiety is. Are there any options for me at all to ease this a bit or is this just waiting it out? My parents desperately want me to consult my psychiatrist about a non-ssri med but I am too scared of reacting adversely to meds given all the stories I’ve read on here. 

Hi Ruby,

I'm quite brainfogged at the moment, so I can't help much. Dizziness can definitely be a withdrawal symptom. Regarding vision, there seem to be quite some mention of "blurry vision" when using the search function: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?&q=vision&type=forums_topic&page=1&quick=1&nodes=3&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Also at least one mention of accomodation difficulties:

The advice I can give would be to read the other sections of this forum, especially the tapering section and the symptoms and self-care section. The pinned topics contain valuable information. They contain overviews with links, and/or explain certain parts of withdrawal. The search function can also help out a lot.

For example, regarding symptoms, non-drug techniques for coping, and an explanation of withdrawal:

2006 - Paroxetine, 20 mg

2008 / 2018 - Several mostly unsuccessful attempts at tapering, without knowledge of withdrawal

2019 - Decrease from 20 mg to 15 mg (June), from 15 mg to 10 mg (Dec)

2020 - Switch to 10 mg liquid citalopram (Feb), decrease to 8 mg (Apr), 6 mg (June), 4 mg (July) without clear symptoms. 3.2 mg (Sep 9), 3 mg (Sep 23), 2.8 mg (Oct 10), 2.6 mg (Oct 26), 2 mg (Nov 13).  Tapered to 1.68 mg in steps of 0.16 mg (Dec 3). Withdrawal kicked in hard. Increase to 1.8 mg (Dec 8), increase to 1.92 mg (Dec 18)

2021 - Increase to 2.2 mg (Jan 1), decrease to 2 mg (Feb 8 ), 1.92 mg (March 21), 1.8 mg (Apr 2), 1.68 mg (Apr 25), 1.56 mg (June 6), 1.52 mg (Sep 5), 1.48 mg (Sep 20), 1.44 mg (Oct 4), 1.4 mg (Oct 18), 1.36 (Nov 1)

2022 - 1.32 mg (Feb 4) - Covid (March 7) - 1.28 mg (Jul 21), 1.24 mg (Oct 3), 1.2 mg (Nov 26)

2023 - Holding at 1.2 mg

Other medication: sumatriptan 50 mg, when needed (migraine)