SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Coxipops: How can I safety taper paroxetine? Tips, advice, help needed.

Coxipops

Please read!!

Hi all, 26F here, thought I’d do a post as I’ve been on p@xil for around 9 months now, and I’m more than ready to taper, in fact I think I’ve been ready maybe a couple of months, but the amount of horror stories I’ve read and having my life back again it’s constantly in my mind what may happen to me when trying to come off this hellish drug so I’ve put it off. 

In need of some advice from people who have been through withdrawals and what I could expect to happen. 

I also have done so much research on tapering, but baring in mind we all react differently, I have no idea which would be the best way to taper, my GP suggest 20mg one day and 10mg the next. But I wanted to do it slower with smaller drops, so because the tablets I can get only come in 10s, 20s and 30s And I didn’t want it to get too complicated cutting things up unless I got some proper help doing so, maybe I should start to taper at 17.5? How does that sound? Or does anyone have any other advice for me on how to drop?

Also, before the drug I was experiencing a lot of odd symptoms what I think was covid related, (still unsure) but doctors were convinced it was all in my head, and everything escalated and I had a complete mental breakdown, they wouldn’t do any tests and I had a lot of issues with my stomach, throat, bad hair loss. None of this was in my head, and it so happens there are things we have found on tests that are ongoing. I never wanted to start the AD in the first place but I was far too gone by this point it was the last resort. 

Thank you if you’ve read my post and hopefully someone gets back to me with some suggestions. 

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font

Currently on 20mg of Paroxetine - Dec 2021 - now (August 2022) 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Coxipops: How can I safety taper paroxetine? Tips, advice, help needed.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to SA,

I am really pleased that you have done your own research.  Your doctor's suggestion about alternating doses is a very bad idea.

SA's recommended taper rate is no more than 10% of the current dose (not the original/starting dose) with a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Another method of tapering, which takes longer but gives you more control (and something to keep in mind for down the track if you need it), is the:

Brass Monkey Slide

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

If you are currently taking 20mg, your first reduction would be no less than 18mg.  An easy way to calculate this is the multiply 20mg x 0.9 for a 10% reduction.  The next reduction is calculated on 18mg, so 16.2mg.  If it is difficult to measure that amount, so that you don't reduce by more than 10% you round up, so you could take 16.5mg or 17mg.  Then the next calculation will be on the dose that you took, ie 16.5mg or 17mg. 

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses; Paxil is available as a liquid and it is possible to make a liquid with paroxetine tablets.  Information about this is in Post #1 - note the Paxil use by date for liquid and the Seroxat liquid are different (info is in that post):

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

Please note that when changing form of a drug it is better to do a cross over which is gentler on your system:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Please create your drug signature following these instructions.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

This is your own Introduction topic and is the place where you ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress and be supported by other SA members.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi @Coxipops

I'm also on paroxetine.

I agree with Chessiecats. I tried doing the alternative dose thing and it resulted in really bad symptoms. The method suggested in this forum (10% drops, then 5% in my case) proved to be much gentler and safer.

I also wanted to give you some comfort and encouragement. I understand some of the stories can be super scary, but that doesn't mean it will happen to you.

In my case, for instance, following the protocole, my withdrawal symptoms are pretty mild for the most part. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definitely doable as long as I listen to my body and take my time. Time and patience are key. I am able to live a completely normal life. I work, I have friend, I go hiking in the summer ;). I have some bad days, but also a lot of good days.

Some people don't experience any withdrawal symptoms. I know someone who got off paxil in two weeks without suffering any adverse effects (!). Obviously I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it is pretty risky, but my point is, you don't know what it's gonna be like for you, so there is no reason to expect the worse.

By doing a 10% reduction, you will be able to find out how your body reacts to it, and chose a course of action from here. Maybe you'll find that it works fine for you. Maybe you'll find you need even smaller reductions. Maybe you'll find you need to take longer than a month between reduction. Or not... You'll see.

Also, you found this forum ! It's a great community to turn to for advice and support, and you found it before you started tapering, which is the best case scenario.

So stay positive, stay safe, take your time and it will be okay. :)

December 2020 : got prescribed 20 mg paroxetine (paxil) for an anxiety disorder

Tried tapering in July 2021 by taking 20 mg every other day and failed.

Started tapering with the 10% method in January 2022 and switched to an oral suspension. 20 mg = 10 ml

Turned out to be a bit hard. Continuing with 5% drops approx.

25 January 2022 : 9 ml / 24 February 2022 : 8,1 ml / 06 April 2022 : 7,3 ml / 2 June 2022 : 7 ml / 11 July 2022 : 6,5 ml / 09 August 2022 : 6,3 ml / 26 August 2022 : 6 ml / 18 Septembre 2022 : 5,8 ml / 17 December 2022 : 5,7 ml / 04 January 2023 : 5,6 / 17 January 2023 : 5,5

Xanax from december 2020 to January 2021 / Omeprazol on and off for GERD since december 2020 : 20 mg / Birth control pill since february 2021.