Van Dongen, 2012 Impact of Antidepressant Treatment

dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Source: Patient Intelligence, July 2012:4, pp 63-70

Title of paper: Impact of Antidepressant Treatment: A study from The Netherlands

Authors: Nadine Van Dongen, Scott Mason

Link: http://www.piphealth.com/_data/Impact-of-antidepressant-treatment_Study%20in%20Netherlands_July2012.pdf

Abstract:

Background: The purpose of the study was to identify the extent and severity of treatment-related side effects experienced by patients with depression. The study was designed to identify the extent of the different antidepressant side effects to gain an understanding of their impact on the lives of patients suffering from depression.

Methods: A total of 303 patients from The Netherlands with physician-diagnosed depression completed an online questionnaire. All participating patients were receiving antidepressants and were members of the Patient Intelligence Panel (PIP). Participants answered questions about their antidepressant medication, degree of personal research into antidepressant medication, and about any side effects they had experienced as a result of their current antidepressant therapy, the severity of any such side effects, and the impact on their daily lives.

Results: Over two-thirds (69%) of patients were receiving antidepressant therapy for the first time. Forty-two percent (42%) of patients felt it took 2–6 weeks of antidepressant therapy before their depressive mood improved. More than half of participating patients (60%) had experienced side effects from their antidepressant therapy, the most common being ‘somnolence, drowsiness,

or fatigue’ (14%). Of the 60% of patients who had experienced side effects, 46% admitted to absenteeism as a consequence.

Conclusion: Central to the effective management of depression is an understanding of the effects of antidepressant therapy on patients’ lives. Treatment-related side effects, and their potential influence on treatment discontinuation, need to be recognized and assessed on an individual patient basis to optimize management and minimize potential relapse.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Very nice Dal. I'm always interested to see research studies from The Netherlands. They have the most enlightened take of any country, aka the least tainted by Big Pharma.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy