Hi all, found this forum via google searches many a night on how to cope with withdrawals!

Like many others on here and I am sure everywhere in the world, I started on on anti-depressant and it just spiraled into larger and larger doses then multiple meds and meds on top of that for side affects.

So a general summary was that I went to the Dr around 14 years ago for depression. I was put on Cymbalta 30mg straight off the bat. The side affects were unpleasant but I don't recall specifics of what they were, just that I did NOT like how they made me feel and I stopped them cold turkey. Withdrawals for several months of course, though fairly mild with major brainzaps being the one I most remember.

Somewhere along the way I then went onto Mirtazapine. 15, 30 and then up to 45mg over a short period of time, maybe a year or so ramping up? Basically a result of going to the Dr, saying that I wasn't feeling the best on these meds, so they just increased them. I stayed on 45mg for probably 5 years or thereabouts. During that time my personality changed a lot (on retrospection I see how much). I became anxious, paranoid, ALWAYS tired, I started having panic attacks, grumpy, short temper making me snap at people for little, and isolated myself a lot. This went on for years. Each time the Dr would just tell me 'its not a magic pill' and leave it at that. Along the way my marriage fell apart and I moved to a new city. To 'cope' with the enormous increase in anxiety and stress, Dr gave me Olanzapine.... I took maybe 3 doses ever, as that stuff turned me into a zombie.

I found a new doctor who I discussed how I felt on Mirtazapine and was switched over to Effexor XR. Ramped up from 37.5 to 150mg in the space of a few months. Generally felt 'good' but then noticed side affects that were persistent, sexual side affects galore, my BP sky rocketed, and hey look my anxiety was still very much around and panic attacks were a semi frequent occurrence. Dr's response was to switch to Paxil - which resulted in a heightened state of anxiety and rolling panic for days until I stopped them completely. Went back onto Effexor, despite the side affects and stabilized. Mirtazipine was then added to the Effexor for 'californian rocket fuel' - still anxious, still having panic attacks..

My BP was now concerning my Dr so was given a Blood Pressure pill, which then became two sets of BP meds, then three. My Blood Pressure still stayed high. Propranolol was added on top to reduce the heart rate and stress on my heart in general.

This year was the hardest, I was referred to a psychiatrist, who every 6 weeks would get me to start a different drug. So I went from Effexor to Pristiq 50, then 100mg, Pristiq + Mirt, then onto Pristiq plus Seroquel at night (which made my anger turn into rage), then over to Luvox and some Respiradone and Valium to 'help' with the panic. Luvox basically kept me in a state of permanent nausea for 5 or 6 weeks - the dose was also increased to 100mg. So I spent around 4 months going through a cycle of drug withdrawal and startup over and over. I couldn't cope with being nauseous and feeling awful ALL the time anymore. At which point I had my next appointment with my Psychiatrist who just told me to 'just take half a dose for a few days and then stop them'. I asked that just ceasing any and all anti-depressants after FOURTEEN YEARS on them sounds very dangerous, she just shrugged.

So I cancelled any future appointments with that practice, and after much research decided to cross taper from Luvox over to 15mg Mirtazapine and taper down from there. I chose Mirtazapine for several reasons - one was it stopped that permanent nausea everyday from the Luvox immediately, two it was a med my brain and body knew well and would tolerate almost immediately (which it did) and three i knew precisely what I would feel and how it would change me. After around 4 weeks of brainzaps and mild gastro issues as my body cleaned the last of the mix of drugs out of my body, I started to work my way down on Mirtazapine. Have currently gone from 15 > 7.5 > 3.75 with 6 or so weeks between drops. I will stay here until I stabalise again. So far the steps down have been very mild and tolerable (brain zaps for a day or two then fine), so my body is tolerating the 50% drops ok. 10% is recommended here, but so far for me personally its been ok dropping at 50% each time and stabilizing. The only noticeable (and expected) WD would be insomnia. My sleep quality has really tanked. Though interestingly enough despite low doses of Mirt meant to INCREASE your sleepyness, it has had little affect at all.

So thats where I am currently at. I'm taking supplements like Vit C, Fish Oil and Vit B in the mornings and the small dose of Mirt at night. From here, I may need to look at a compounding chemist to begin tapering more slowly on the lower dosages, as cutting a tablet into 8th's is getting very difficult, even with a pill cutter. So the methods of diluting in liquids or a compound chemist will be the plan for the taper slow down (if needed) from here and my goal of being drug free hopefully within the year the final target.

Edited by getofflex

2009 Cybalta 30Mg - ceased after 3 months due to side affects
2009 - 2010 - Mirtazapine 15MG/30MG - upped to 30MG within a couple of months
2011 - July 2018 Mirtazapine 45mg

July 2018 - Mirtazapine 45mg, Propranolol 10mg x 3, Olanzapine 2.5mg (ceased after three doses)

August 2018 - October 2018 Paxil 20mg (straight switch from Mirt), Propranolol 10mg x 3
October 2018 - July 2021   Effexor XR 150mg (ramped up from 37.5mg over maybe three months?), Propranolol 10mg x 3

July 2021 - 29 March 2022 - Effexor XR + Mirtazapine 30mg, Propranolol 10mg x 3

March - April 2022 - Pristiq 50mg (straight switch from Effexor + Mirt) then up to 100mg + Seroquel 25mg (took twice and stopped), Propranolol 10mg x 3, 5 mg Diazepam

May - 22 June 2022 - Luvox cross taper 25mg then 50mg. Propranolol 10mg x 3, 5 mg Diazepam

22 June - 01st July - Mirtazapine 15mg 

18th July - 4 August - Mirtazapine 7.5mg

4 August - 3.75 Mirtazapine and holding for now. suppl AM: fish oil, 1000mg Vit C, 25mg Vit D, PM 400mg Valerian

• ChessieCat changed the title to Griff: introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  

On 8/10/2022 at 10:36 PM, Griff said:

At which point I had my next appointment with my Psychiatrist who just told me to 'just take half a dose for a few days and then stop them'. I asked that just ceasing any and all anti-depressants after FOURTEEN YEARS on them sounds very dangerous, she just shrugged.

Wow.  I think you were right to stop seeing that psychiatrist.  You were right, stopping them suddenly after 14 years would have been pretty risky.  I'm glad to hear that you tolerated the reinstatement to 15 mg of mirtazapine well.  The 45 mg dose of it was too high for you previously.  You must have a strong constitution, because considering all the drug switches you've made recently, it sounds as though you are doing quite well overall.  However, please be very cautious in the future, because these things can catch up with us later.  

On 8/10/2022 at 10:36 PM, Griff said:

Have currently gone from 15 > 7.5 > 3.75 with 6 or so weeks between drops. I most recently dropped to 1.875 and will stay here until I stabalise again.

It would really help to see the specific dates you made these reductions.  

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only specific dates, include the day (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day), drug names, and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this example:

Feb 15 2020 - June 30 2020 - 25mg citalopram, 2mg xanax

July 1 2020 - Sept 7 2020 - 50 mg citalopram, 4 mg xanax

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the reduction becomes exponentially smaller.  It's especially important to taper very slowly and gradually as we get to the lower doses.  At the lower doses, these drugs have an especially powerful effect upon us.  At the low doses, the drug affects an inordinately high number of receptors in our nervous systems.  The third link below explains this. 

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering mirtazapine

SERT Transporter Occupancy Studies

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

My suggestion for you now is to hold for a while, as in several months (3-6) at the 1.875 mg of mirtazapine, even though you say that the 50% reductions have not caused you any major issues.  Fast tapering tends to be cumulative, and can sneak up on us several months down the road.  You don't want to crash your nervous system.  This can cause major discomfort that can take a very long time (many months to years) to recover from.  Please read this link about fast tapers: 

Cold Turkey and Fast Tapers

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are doing. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you for that. I have updated my signature to show the journey I have been on! Some dates I had to guesstimate, but as it gets closer to the present, they become more specific.

I wanted to edit my original post, but I am unable to. The main change was I was incorrect in that I had dropped to 1.85. I am actually still on 3.75. Which is a quarter of a tablet.

I agree that the lower dosages seem to hit harder, and as such have paused on my current dose until stabilize completely and  I can sort out one of the methods to be able to slow it down to a 10% taper from here on. Especially as cutting a qtr tablet in half is proving very difficult, so will need to look at liquid or other forms like a compounding chemist to be able to slow the taper right down and go at a much slower rate. The 50% drops were mild until now, but with everything I have read on here, its a good indication that from here down will where it could become more difficult and so I will be slowing it right down. I actually tried to jump off at 7.5mg at one point, lasted 5 days before I began having leg tremors and intense insomina (i went back on to 7.5 immediately after that to stabilize), so those WD's are definitely sitting there in the background.

The main struggle was definitely within the time frame of seeing my Psychiatrist, as I was swapping meds every 4-6 weeks so it was a non stop withdrawal and start up side affects rollercoaster (with the Psych just offering more pills to cope). Going back to a low dose and tapering down on Mirt was a tremendous relief on my body and mind.  Fun fact, since reducing my medication down to its current level, my anxiety is maybe 10% of what it was when I was on the big doses, so those large doses were making it WORSE, not better!

2009 Cybalta 30Mg - ceased after 3 months due to side affects
2009 - 2010 - Mirtazapine 15MG/30MG - upped to 30MG within a couple of months
2011 - July 2018 Mirtazapine 45mg

July 2018 - Mirtazapine 45mg, Propranolol 10mg x 3, Olanzapine 2.5mg (ceased after three doses)

August 2018 - October 2018 Paxil 20mg (straight switch from Mirt), Propranolol 10mg x 3
October 2018 - July 2021   Effexor XR 150mg (ramped up from 37.5mg over maybe three months?), Propranolol 10mg x 3

July 2021 - 29 March 2022 - Effexor XR + Mirtazapine 30mg, Propranolol 10mg x 3

March - April 2022 - Pristiq 50mg (straight switch from Effexor + Mirt) then up to 100mg + Seroquel 25mg (took twice and stopped), Propranolol 10mg x 3, 5 mg Diazepam

May - 22 June 2022 - Luvox cross taper 25mg then 50mg. Propranolol 10mg x 3, 5 mg Diazepam

22 June - 01st July - Mirtazapine 15mg 

18th July - 4 August - Mirtazapine 7.5mg

4 August - 3.75 Mirtazapine and holding for now. suppl AM: fish oil, 1000mg Vit C, 25mg Vit D, PM 400mg Valerian

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Griff said:

I wanted to edit my original post, but I am unable to. The main change was I was incorrect in that I had dropped to 1.85. I am actually still on 3.75. Which is a quarter of a tablet.

I've made the edits for you.  

I agree that the lower dosages seem to hit harder, and as such have paused on my current dose until stabilize completely and  I can sort out one of the methods to be able to slow it down to a 10% taper from here on.

This is a good solid plan.  My link in my first post "How to Taper Mirtazapine" will go into detail on how to measure the smaller doses.  Give us a holler (midwest USA speak for "ask us") if you have questions.  

The main struggle was definitely within the time frame of seeing my Psychiatrist, as I was swapping meds every 4-6 weeks so it was a non stop withdrawal and start up side affects rollercoaster (with the Psych just offering more pills to cope).

These doctors just don't have a clue.  

Going back to a low dose and tapering down on Mirt was a tremendous relief on my body and mind.  Fun fact, since reducing my medication down to its current level, my anxiety is maybe 10% of what it was when I was on the big doses, so those large doses were making it WORSE, not better!

That's wonderful to hear.  I also feel much better off of the psychiatric drugs.  I'll never go back on them again, for any reason.  

It sounds like you are doing great!  Keep up the good work. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly