SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

licorice root

haley

I actually ran across a post seeing a guy that was speaking about the issues tht ssri meds left him with post too the meds. he had pssd, and claimed that he took licorice root. he said it worked after six months. has anyone else tried it and seen good results?

"Before God, We were all equally wise and equally foolish."-Albert Einstein

Paxil(paroxetine) 20mg prescribed in april 2012

C'T paxil after 30 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge, licorice root is a strong stimulant, strong enough that herbal practitioners advise people with high blood pressure to avoid it. I'm not sure why you're interested in this, but if you're tapering off of an SSRI, a stimulant is the last thing you'd want to try.

It would be helpful to post your medication history in your signature. It's tough to respond to questions without that info.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Licorice root messes with your adrenals (stimulates aldosterone). Not a good idea for most people. Please don't take it haley.

This is NOT a cure for withdrawal syndrome. There a lots of reports all over the Web about how this or that helped one person's withdrawal symptoms. But that's only one person! Who knows what actually worked.

We try to collect good information here. If we know of any supplements that are often helpful, we post about them in this forum. Licorice root is not one of those.

It can help people with specific problems. I know a Swedish woman who had severe autoimmune problems and constant fatigue aggravated by withdrawal syndrome who said licorice root was stimulating, in a good way, for her. (She can't get it in Sweden, it's restricted.)

For most people -- Be very, very cautious with this, it could make you very sick. Aldosterone raises blood pressure, and it doesn't take much licorice to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the warning, I didn't realize licorice could affect the adrenals.

I bought some licorice tea recently and have been feeling slightly funny, my heart has been a bit weird.

I am not sure if it because I have had a lot on, but the tea could be contributing.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Of particular concern is the fact that it has interactions with many medications (affects many CYP 450 substrates), so extreme caution is needed if still on most psychotropic and other medications or if reinstating.

I actually ran across a post seeing a guy that was speaking about the issues tht ssri meds left him with post too the meds. he had pssd, and claimed that he took licorice root. he said it worked after six months.

A number of studies indicate licorice tends to lower hormone levels such as estrogens and testosterone. I think it's more likely it was the six months that relieved his pssd.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 3 years later...

Would the amount of licorice root in David's herbal tea (one of their chamomile teas) be a safe amount?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• 5 months later...

Hello i am currently a PSSD sufferer.

I am thinking about taking licorice root for my anhedonia plus lack of emotions that i experience, as i heard it helped a lot of people with similar problems.

Thing is i see that SA does not recommend it, on the cotrary suggests avoidance from it (AltoStrata even wrote an article about this).

And i honestly i want to ask why.

The way i see it licorice is a herb/supplement and not a chemical drug.So even if it will not help or actually make things worse, i can simply stop taking it without worrying about any possible withdrawals or any further damage right?

Does licorice root cause any "damage" or permanent negative effects after taking/discontinuing it?

Thank you for your answers

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

Started taking on june10th until june 25.

Never taken any other drugs prior or after this incident.

Hi phoenix. I imagine liquorice is very natural but just so you can be on the safe side, I'd better let you know that liquorice root lowers potassium. I'm really sorry to say this as I know how horrible it feels when we want to try something and really want it to help us and then someone tells us not to take it or says something negative about it and it takes our hope away. Sorry if I'm doing this but I think it's only fair to make you aware.

I went on liquorice root a few years ago (before all this). I was taking top dose daily. I had no idea about the potassium thing. Anyway, I ended up in hospital on a potassium drip. My heart rhythm was all over the place, I was fainting, I had tingling all over my hands and legs, I was nauseous and in a lot of pain. Low potassium is quite dangerous, as is high potassium. I went on the drip and took potassium tablets and it all went away. I'm not saying don't take the liquorice, it's just to be aware of this. If you do take any, maybe try a small amount and just be aware about the potassium and maybe look into taking a little potassium with it. (Although you have to be careful your potassium doesn't get too high as that's as bad as low potassium).

It's not for me to advise whether you should or should not take it, just to make you aware and pre-informed.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Winning thanks for your answer. When you say you were taking max dose, how much do you mean?

I plan to take no more than 300-450mg daily. That's about 0.4g of licorice every day.

Were you taking a lot more than that?

Thank you

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

Started taking on june10th until june 25.

Never taken any other drugs prior or after this incident.

Winning thanks for your answer. When you say you were taking max dose, how much do you mean?

I plan to take no more than 300-450mg daily. That's about 0.4g of licorice every day.

Were you taking a lot more than that?

Thank you

Phoenix, it was a few years ago, maybe about 4, and I no longer have the supplements or the bottle. I did look up the ones I think I had and the dose was 450mg. The instructions said take one or two 2-3 times a day. I was taking them for hot flushes and other menopausal symptoms and they were helping quite a bit but I'm pretty sure I was taking the top dose which would have been 2 three times a day, which is loads. I had no idea about the potassium thing. I just took what it said on the bottle. However, I was also taking another supplement which had some liquorice root so I must have been overdosing and not realised. I wasn't clued up in those days before this current nightmare! I'd been taking the other supplement for ages, without the additional liquorice supplements, and it didn't have any problems then.

The dose you're talking about taking is much lower than the doses I was taking. Your dose is about a sixth of what I was taking, possibly even less than that.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• 2 weeks later...

What about DGL licorice? I'm taking it for my stomaach and it really helps.

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
back to 75 mg venlafaxine
2014 dec - 60 mg venlafaxine, 2015 jan - 55 mg
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 march - added inositol, niacin, fish oil
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

I have been drinking aniseed and licorice as a constituent of a herbal tea that detoxes and another one which is for colds.

The detox one I drink every day and have been for a few years.

All my blood work has come back fine......so far.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 4 years later...

I might have made a mistake.

I took licorice root tea while tapering Zoloft because I read it's good for the stomach.

It spiked my antidepressant induced tinnitus and now I am concerned as I read someone in reddit saying that saw a report of permanent spike on someone who took and had its tinnitus started before with the AD.

Now I am concerned... Will it go back to the baseline? Is licorice root like a MAOI? I hope I didn't mess things up.

Prozac: 2018/05 - 20mg, 2018/07 - 40mg

Zoloft: 2018/08 - 50mg, 2018/12 - 100mg, 2020/11 - 150mg, 2021/03/16 - 125mg

Xanax/Valium: Aug/18 - 0.5mg, Sep18 - 1.5mg (2.5mg in extreme cases), Oct/18- 1.25mg, Nov/18 - 1mg,Dec/18 - 0.75mg, Xanax + 5mg Valium, Apr/19 - .5mg X + 5mg V, Jul/19 - .25mg X + 5mg V, Dec/19 - .25mg X + 2.5mg V, Jan/20 - .125mg X + 2.5mgV, Apr/20 - 2.5mg V, May/20 - 1.25mg V, May/20 (end of the month) - 1.0mg V, Jun/20 - 0.75mg V, 03/08/2020 - 0.70, 24/08/2020 - 0.60, 22/09/2020 - 0.50, 06/10/2020 - 0.40, 03/11/2020 - 0.30

30/11/2020 - 1.25mg of V (Updose due to being unable to work)

Feb/21 - 2.5mg of V

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, fullofdetermination said:

I might have made a mistake.

I took licorice root tea while tapering Zoloft because I read it's good for the stomach.

It spiked my antidepressant induced tinnitus and now I am concerned as I read someone in reddit saying that saw a report of permanent spike on someone who took and had its tinnitus started before with the AD.

Now I am concerned... Will it go back to the baseline? Is licorice root like a MAOI? I hope I didn't mess things up.

I tried licorice tea for a few days
I only drank one cup a day
It seemed to reduce depression and fatigue

I've had gastritis and Candida on and off and licorice should work well
Yesterday I made another cup after lunch
had an extremely bad sleep at night
I woke up many times and fell asleep again for short periods of time
The dream was very confusing and disturbing
It also felt a bit cold even though the room was warm
There was an inexplicable feeling of fear-anxiety
I am confused and agitated today.
How long does licorice last in the body?
Have you also had trouble sleeping after drinking licorice?
Does it affect neurotransmitters in any way?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy