Video where UK medical professional admits he was wrong about serotonin and depression

jon1

Here's quite an interesting video where a UK doctor - Dr John Campbell - admits he was wrong about how depression has been treated for all these years. And that it's nothing to do with serotonin.

He discusses it in some detail, and explains the mechanisms quite clearly.

Edited by Shep
updated titel

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

• jon1 changed the title to Video where UK doctor admits he was wrong about serotonin and depression
  • Moderator Emeritus

@jon1 I've been following Dr. John Campbell throughout the pandemic and have really learned a lot from him. And yes, I agree - he does explain the mechanism of these drugs really well. 

But I was saddened by this video because he says numerous times that even though "depression" isn't caused by the lack of serotonin, these drugs "work" for depression.  He says we're no better off than in the 1960s because we still don't know what causes "depression." But we DO know - trauma (especially from childhood), poverty, poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of friendships and healthy relationships, lack of meaningful work with livable wages, etc. 

And before the antidepressant era, people got better without any treatment. "Depression" wasn't a life long condition like it is today, as noted in this well-documented article: 

Long-term Evidence We Can’t Overlook Anymore: Anti-Depressant Outcomes

So even without the serotonin theory, Dr. Campbell is proving it's still possible for psychiatry to stick to the medical model. 

Getting rid of the serotonin theory doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of the drugs. It's a narrative that we still need to be cautious of, even from professionals such as Dr. Campbell, who is usually so spot on. 

• Shep changed the title to Video where UK medical professional admits he was wrong about serotonin and depression
  • Moderator Emeritus

@jon1 Please note I updated the title of your thread to read "medical professional" instead of "doctor." Dr. Campbell is not a doctor - he has a PhD in nursing. He's been teaching nursing for decades. 

Considering all of the damage doctors have done to people on this forum, it's probably a good thing to note. 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

But I was saddened by this video because he says numerous times that even though "depression" isn't caused by the lack of serotonin, these drugs "work" for depression.  He says we're no better off than in the 1960s because we still don't know what causes "depression." But we DO know - trauma (especially from childhood), poverty, poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of friendships and healthy relationships, lack of meaningful work with livable wages, etc. 

Indeed, I feel the same way.

The fact it's now proven that the serotonin theory is nonsense, the risk to reward ratio of these drugs changes dramatically, but the fact he says they 'still work' is rather concerning, considering the mountain of side effects and lengthy withdrawal people have to go through.

It reminds me a bit of the frog in boiling water theory. I wonder if these drugs were launched now, would they even get approved?

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, jon1 said:

I wonder if these drugs were launched now, would they even get approved?

That's a good question, Jon. The FDA approved esketamine, which is derived from the anesthetic ketamine, for "depression" in 2019. That drug isn't based on the serotonin theory. 

At some point, I hope the entire medical model will be thrown out and trauma-informed care and a social safety net will be seen as what it takes for society to be mentally and physically well. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy