SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Diets and foods to lessen symptoms

Shanti

The brain is made up of 60% fat. Good fats are helpful in repairing our brain and nervous system. Many of us can't take Fish Oil. But there are alternatives. Flax Seed is a good one. You don't have to get the Flax Seed Oil, you can buy ground Flax Seed and just add it to a salad or just swallow some. Be sure to get cut or ground Flax Seeds because whole seeds are often not chewed up enough to release the oil. Flax Seeds are also good for depression. Another alternative to Fish Oil is to just eat some fish every day. Tuna even, just make sure it's Mercury free. Organic is always the best way to go. Nuts and seeds are very good for the brain, such as walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews and almonds. Walnuts also help clean the liver. Good seeds for the brain are pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds also have Thiamin, good for the brain.

Watermelon is the best food for cleansing the liver. It's good to have a juicer and make a good watermelon juice to drink every day.

Choline is good for the brain as well. Choline can be found in wheat germ, peanuts, whole wheat flour and pecans.

Here's a good article about fats, good fat vs. bad fat from Dr. Sears. The article can be found here.

DHA as a Brain Food

Fats make up sixty percent of the brain and the nerves that run every system in the body. So, it stands to reason that the better the fat in the diet, the better the brain. So, with all the fat eaten by the average American, why don't we have more geniuses in this country? The average American brain is getting enough fat, but it's not getting the right kind of fat.

Think of your brain as the master gland that sends chemical messengers throughout the body, telling each organ how to work. An important group of these chemical messengers are the prostaglandins (so-called because they were originally discovered in the prostate gland). Prostaglandins initiate the body's self-repair system. The body needs two kinds of fat to manufacture healthy brain cells (the message senders) and prostaglandins (the messengers). These are omega 6 fatty acids (found in many oils, such as safflower, sunflower, corn, and sesame oils) and omega 3 fatty acids (found in flax, pumpkin seeds and walnuts, and coldwater fish, such as salmon and tuna). The foods from which oil can be extracted are generally the foods highest in essential fatty acids.

Most important to brain function are the two essential fatty acids, linoleic (or omega 6) and alpha linolenic (or omega 3). These are the prime structural components of brain cell membranes and are also an important part of the enzymes within cell membranes that allow the membranes to transport valuable nutrients in and out of the cells.

When the cells of the human body - and the human brain - are deprived of the essential fatty acids they need to grow and function, the cells will try to build replacement fatty acids that are similar, but may actually be harmful. Higher blood levels of "replacement fatty acids" are associated with diets that are high in hydrogenated fats and diets that contain excessive amounts of omega 6 fatty acids. Levels of replacement fatty acids have been found to be elevated in persons suffering from depression or Attention Deficit Disorder. A diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids (such as the LNA from flax oil or the EPA and DHA from fish oils) not only provides the body with healthy fats, but it also lowers the blood level of potentially harmful ones, such as cholesterol and, possibly, even reversing the effects of excess trans fatty acids. A great tasting option for children to get their daily recommendation of omega 3 are Dr. Sears Family Essentials Omega-3 dha supplement fruit chews.

Using the lock and key analogy will help you understand how the brain communication system works. Neurotransmitters are biochemical messengers that carry information from one brain cell to another, sort of like sparks flying across the gap between nerve cells. Each cell membrane contains a series of locks. The various message carriers (prostaglandins and neurotransmitters) are like keys. The keys and the locks must match. When the cell membrane is unhealthy because it is made of the wrong kind of replacement fatty acids, the keys won't fit, and brain function suffers. Nutrients may also fail to fit in a mismade lock.

The eye is a perfect example of the importance of getting the right kind of fat. The retina of the eye contains a high concentration of the fatty acid DHA, which the body forms from nutritious fats in the diet. The more nutritious the fat, the better the eye can function. And since most people are visual learners, better eyes mean better brains.

Western diets contain too much of the omega 6 fatty acids and too little of the omega 3's. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in ground flax seeds and flaxseed oil, coldwater fish (primarily salmon and tuna), canola oil, soybeans, walnuts, wheatgerm, pumpkin seeds, and eggs.

Smart fats for growing brains*. Fats can also influence brain development and performance, especially at either end of life -- growing infants and elderly people. In fact, there are two windows of time in which the brain is especially sensitive to nutrition: the first two years of life for a growing baby and the last couple decades of life for a senior citizen. Both growing and aging brains need nutritious fats.

The most rapid brain growth occurs during the first year of life, with the infant's brain tripling in size by the first birthday. During this stage of rapid central nervous system growth, the brain uses sixty percent of the total energy consumed by the infant. Fats are a major component of the brain cell membrane and the myelin sheath around each nerve. So, it makes sense that getting enough fat, and the right kinds of fat, can greatly affect brain development and performance. In fact, during the first year, around fifty percent of an infant's daily calories come from fat. Mother Nature knows how important fat is for babies; fifty percent of the calories in mother's milk is fat.

Different species provide different types of fat in their milk, fine-tuned to the needs of that particular animal. For example, mother cows provide milk that is high in saturated fats and low in brain-building fats, such as DHA. This helps their calves grow rapidly, though it may not do much for their brains. In adult cows, the brain is small compared with the body. Cows don't have to do a lot of thinking to survive. In human infants, the brain grows faster than the body. Highly developed brains are important to human beings, so human milk is low in body- building saturated fats and rich in brain-building fats, such as the fatty acid DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), an omega 3 fatty acid.

DHA is the primary structural component of brain tissue, so it stands to reason that a deficiency of DHA in the diet could translate into a deficiency in brain function. In fact, research is increasingly recognizing the possibility that DHA has a crucial influence on neurotransmitters in the brain, helping brain cells better communicate with each other. Asian cultures have long appreciated the brain-building effects of DHA. In Japan, DHA is considered such an important "health food" that it is used as a nutritional supplement to enrich some foods, and students frequently take DHA pills before examinations.

Just how important is DHA for brain development? Consider these research findings:

Infants who have low amounts of DHA in their diet have reduced brain development and diminished visual acuity.

The increased intelligence and academic performance of breastfed compared with formula- fed infants has been attributed in part to the increased DHA content of human milk.

Cultures whose diet is high in omega 3 fatty acids (such as the Eskimos who eat a lot of fish) have a lower incidence of degenerative diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis.

Experimental animals whose diets are low in DHA have been found to have smaller brains and delayed central nervous system development.

Some children with poor school performance because of ADD, have been shown to have insufficient essential fatty acids in their diet. (See A.D.D. - A Nutritional Deficiency?)

DUMB FATS

Just as there are fats that improve how the brain functions, there are fats that hinder the brain's work. The dumbest fats are those that are man-made through the process of hydrogenation. These fats are referred to on package labels as "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated." A diet rich in these fats not only deprives the eater of the smart fats, but they can actually interfere with the action of smart fats on brain function.

NOURISHING TEEN BRAINS

Even though the brain has completed most of its growth by adolescence, it continues to make vital connections. This is another window of opportunity for brain growth when a healthy diet is important. However, adolescence may be a period when there is a lack of essential fatty acids in the diet. There are several reasons for this deficiency: adolescents tend to eat a lot of saturated fat foods and foods that contain hydrogenated fats. Young athletes often restrict their fat intake in order to keep fit and trim. When they cut out fat, in general, they also cut out healthy fats. Teen brains need more fish and fewer fries.

NUTRITIP: Fat Food for Growing Brains

While a baby is in the womb, the brain grows more rapidly than in any other stage of infant or child development. And during the first year after birth, the brain continues to grow rapidly, tripling in size by an infant's first birthday. So, it would make sense for a pregnant and lactating mother to supplement her diet with brain-building nutrients, primarily the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish and flax oil (one tablespoon of flax oil daily, four ounces of tuna or salmon three times a week). In fact, some nutritionists recommend that pregnant and lactating women take 200 milligrams of DHA supplements a day.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Of course, drink lots of water.

Celtic Sea Salt is good for strengthening cell structure and helps with hydration. Avoid table salt.

"Ordinary table salt that is bought in the supermarkets may also contain additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous.

- Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It has been implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease."

Read more at Health Benefits of Water

When buying sea salt, be sure it isn't a heat compressed product. Celtic Sea Salt is best and contains 80 minerals that you won't find in Table Salt.

If you are experiencing waking in the night to go to the bathroom, put a pinch or two of celtic Sea Salt in a glass of water and drink it before bed. The minerals will help keep you balanced at night. Having to wake up to go to the bathroom is an indication that you're having an imbalance of minerals and the Celtic Sea Salt will help.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Foods that aggravate the nervous system are: MSG (Monosodium Glutimate) found in many packaged foods such as soups and lunch meat. Aspartame (Nutrasweet) found in many diet sodas and diet foods. Avoid junk food, sugar and caffeine.

Many people that are having trouble eating might turn to Chicken Noodle Soup or Broth. Most of this contains MSG and is not good for you. Campbells does have a line called "Healthy Request" that doesn't have MSG. If you're drinking broth, get it from the health food store. MSG crosses the blood brain barrier. Definitely not good for us during withdrawals. Body Systems Affected by MSG.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I can't remember if it's the Healthy Request line or the Healthy Choice. So just look at the ingredients. I know one of them doesn't have MSG.

Btw, isn't it interesting that walnuts are good for the brain and they look like little brains?

My Paxil Website

My Intro

From Foods That Are Good for the Brain

"Including certain foods as snacks can do much to improve brain functioning. Below are examples of healthy foods. Foods high in antioxidants (healthy chemicals that clean the brain from free radicals that cause cell deterioration) can dramatically reverse memory loss, restore motor coordination and balance. These foods are raisins, berries, apples, grapes, cherries, prunes, and spinach.

Another healthy group of foods contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help improve general brain functioning and restore memory. Foods high in Omega-3 include: salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring, flax oil, and walnuts.

The whole body runs on carbohydrates. Too much of simple carbohydrates can be harmful to the body and brain functioning by creating a sharp rise in blood sugar. Complex carbohydrates digests well and do not cause sharp rises in blood sugar. Foods high in complex carbohydrates include peanuts, dried apricots, dried beans, yogurt, oat bran, All Bran cereal (be careful of the high sugar content in some brands), and sourdough bread. Including vinegar or lemon juice with your foods helps suppress a sharp rise in blood sugar."

My Paxil Website

My Intro

"It's really kind of zany how much a walnut half looks like a brain (albeit a nutty, crunchy, delicious brain!). The human brain is made up of about 60% of what is called "structural fat" and needs high-quality fats like omega-3s to function properly by keeping the brain fluid and flexible. Walnuts are loaded with omega-3s, which make them the ultimate "brain food." Walnuts, the Ultimate Brain Food

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

I think Campbell's sneaks MSG into its soups under another name.

I'd get organic broth, or better yet, make it myself. It's extremely easy to make chicken broth:

- A piece of chicken (preferably organic). If you like to minimize fat, use skinless breast of chicken.

- Pot of water

- Salt, pepper, maybe carrots, celery, parsley, parsnips, potatoes or other mild veg good for soup.

Boil the water. Wash and chop up any vegetables you are using. Put them in the boiling water. Put in some salt and pepper. Add the chicken.

Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done (poke it with a fork, it should be tender).

Take the chicken out.

Broth is done. Eat it plain or with the chopped veg and cut up chicken, add rice, noodles, or cooked beans if you wish. (Good for leftover rice, noodles, or beans).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm hungry now

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with most of what you have to say, Shanti, and good nutrition is especially important in withdrawal.

However, peanuts are really not such a great idea. See the following article by Dr. Jim Mercola:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/11/05/toxic-foods.aspx

Excerpt:

"You’ll also notice that peanuts are on the list. Peanuts are not only commonly contaminated with aflatoxin, a carcinogenic mold, but they will also distort your omega-3:6 ratio. A much better choice if you want to eat nuts are walnuts, as they will give you some beneficial omega-3...

A 1993 study demonstrated 24 different types of fungi that colonized the inside of the peanuts used in the report (Costantini, A. Etiology and Prevention of Atherosclerosis. Fungalbionics Series.1998/99). And this was after the exterior of the peanut was sterilized! So, when you choose to eat peanuts, not only are you potentially eating these molds, but also their mycotoxins. Incidentally, in the same study the examiners found 23 different fungi on the inside of corn kernels. That said, if you choose to plant your own garden in an attempt to avoid mycotoxin contamination of corn or peanuts, it does you no good if the seed (kernel) used to plant your garden is already riddled with mold."

Peanuts are also likely to include some MSG, especially the dry roasted kind.

I've been avoiding peanuts for several days now, and the tinnitus is getting better. Shortly after I quit taking Lexapro, at the height of food sensitivity, peanuts made me downright sick, along with dairy foods.

You're on the right track though, girlfriend. Eating well is the key to good health whether in withdrawal or not.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Peanuts are a very common food allergen.

I'm mildly allergic to them, peanut butter used to give me vague indigestion. Haven't eaten peanuts in many years.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Almond butter is a good substitute for peanut butter, although it's more expensive. Cashew butter is also available, although I haven't tried that yet. Forget soy butter. It tastes like lawn grass, and these days, anything made from soy is likely genetically modified unless it is labeled otherwise. Avoid soy products unless they're labeled "Certified Organic" or a statement that the food is not genetically modified (or genetically mangled, as I keep thinking of it).

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

My substitute is sunflower seed butter.

Cashew butter is easy to make if you have a blender. Put in blender and turn on. :) Sometimes it seemed there wasn't enough oil in the cashews and I'd have to add a little cooking oil. Not sure why that would be the case sometimes and sometimes not. We used raw cashews.

Best wishes

Bub

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Thank you Jemima and Alto about the information on peanuts and Campbells sneaking in MSG. That is good to know! And I had no idea some dry roasted peanuts could contain MSG.

I found Pecan Butter at the local health food store. It is excellent for the nervous system. Unfortunately, like Almond butter it is also more expensive. I can't eat nuts at all because I have diverticular disease so I have to have the nuts as butter.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Almond butter is a good substitute for peanut butter, although it's more expensive. Cashew butter is also available, although I haven't tried that yet. Forget soy butter. It tastes like lawn grass, and these days, anything made from soy is likely genetically modified unless it is labeled otherwise. Avoid soy products unless they're labeled "Certified Organic" or a statement that the food is not genetically modified (or genetically mangled, as I keep thinking of it).

Jemima.. What about Tahini.. I love that on crackers. Also, are you looking for Almond Butter in out of the way places? I get mine at a local discount store for the same price they sell natural peanut butter.. $4 for 16 oz. Whole Foods is double.

Alto.. I would never have known that about adding MSG to peanut butter.. argh, I wonder if they use processing that strips the flavor.

Bubbles.. Great tip on Cashew butter. The broken pieces are relatively inexpensive by the pound, but buying the butter.. not so much. I'm going to try this. I mix and match, have some of each on whole rye crackers every day. Dunno if it helps, but it tastes delicious.

Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Wow, making cashew butter sounds like a good idea. Cashews are so delicious.

Schuyler, I don't know if they add MSG to peanut butter -- I don't eat it because I'm mildly allergic. Haven't looked at a peanut butter label in decades.

Shanti, sunflower seed butter is relatively inexpensive and still packed full of that good nuttiness.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima.. What about Tahini.. I love that on crackers. Also, are you looking for Almond Butter in out of the way places? I get mine at a local discount store for the same price they sell natural peanut butter.. $4 for 16 oz. Whole Foods is double.

I've only used Tahini once or twice and that was combined with other ingredients in some vegan recipes I tried. I've heard that it's very good, nutritionally speaking, but that's about all I know. I believe it's made from sesame seeds, and nuts and seeds are generally health-supporting foods.

There aren't any out of the way places where I live. This is Merck Pharma-land and it's littered with name-brand grocery stores, big box stores, shopping centers, fast food chains, ad nauseum. Suburbia at its finest. <_< I used to live in downtown Philadelphia and I miss wandering in and out of those odd nooks and crannies. Big Lots is about as out of the way as it gets here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto.. I would never have known that about adding MSG to peanut butter.. argh, I wonder if they use processing that strips the flavor.

I don't think natural p.b. has MSG in it, just some brands of dry-roasted nuts. I haven't bought typical supermarket peanut butter in years, so I don't know what's in it aside from loads of sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup. I got a taste of some several years after using the natural stuff and it tasted just like those cookies my mother used to make, the kind where you drop a blob of batter onto a cookie sheet and mash it with a fork. Very sweet, and probably not at all good for one's health.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't think natural p.b. has MSG in it, just some brands of dry-roasted nuts. I haven't bought typical supermarket peanut butter in years, so I don't know what's in it aside from loads of sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup. I got a taste of some several years after using the natural stuff and it tasted just like those cookies my mother used to make, the kind where you drop a blob of batter onto a cookie sheet and mash it with a fork. Very sweet, and probably not at all good for one's health.

Yes.. I was not thinking of natural. I just bought some pasty Jif, and yuck. After the real stuff, I can't stand it anymore.

btw.. Sunflower seeds are good, and so are Pumpkin seeds!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Cashew butter is easy to make if you have a blender. Put in blender and turn on. :) Sometimes it seemed there wasn't enough oil in the cashews and I'd have to add a little cooking oil. Not sure why that would be the case sometimes and sometimes not. We used raw cashews.

Best wishes

Bub

Hi Bubbles.. I just saw this link, and thought I'd say thanks for the idea of making cashew butter. I did so and am still licking my fingers!

Nuts, Best and Worst

• 9 months later...

I think Campbell's sneaks MSG into its soups under another name.

I'd get organic broth, or better yet, make it myself. It's extremely easy to make chicken broth:

- A piece of chicken (preferably organic). If you like to minimize fat, use skinless breast of chicken.

- Pot of water

- Salt, pepper, maybe carrots, celery, parsley, parsnips, potatoes or other mild veg good for soup.

Boil the water. Wash and chop up any vegetables you are using. Put them in the boiling water. Put in some salt and pepper. Add the chicken.

Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done (poke it with a fork, it should be tender).

Take the chicken out.

Broth is done. Eat it plain or with the chopped veg and cut up chicken, add rice, noodles, or cooked beans if you wish. (Good for leftover rice, noodles, or beans).

Hi Alto,

Do you have an opinion on Aspertame?

Aza,

Gia provided a couple of links today in Flower's thread. Thought you might be interested in those.

Thanks tezza,

This is what concerns me,

Milk industry, aspartame

Heres a Quote from http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FDA-2009-P-0147-0012...

IDFA and NMPF request their proposed amendments to the milk

standard of identity to allow optional characterizing flavoring

ingredients used in milk (e.g., chocolate flavoring added to milk) to

be sweetened with any safe and suitable sweetener--including non-

nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame. IDFA and NMPF state that the

proposed amendments would promote more healthful eating practices and

reduce childhood obesity by providing for lower-calorie flavored milk

products. They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would

particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF,

are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at

school. As further support for the petition, IDFA and NMPF state that

the proposed amendments would assist in meeting several initiatives

aimed at improving the nutrition and health profile of food served in

the nation's schools. Those initiatives include state-level programs

designed to limit the quantity of sugar served to children during the

school day. Finally, IDFA and NMPF argue that the proposed amendments

to the milk standard of identity would promote honesty and fair dealing

in the marketplace and are therefore appropriate under section 401 of

the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 341).

The petition acknowledges that the use of non-nutritive sweeteners

in optional characterizing flavoring

Sardines 3x a week.

Egg yolks, as much as you want.

Those are good brain foods.

I don't eat peanut butter either. Nut butters cause me constipation yet I'm prone to overeating them, so I try not to eat them at all.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Organic chicken liver, I love that one too.

- Zimmerman

I eat regular chicken liver once a week, are they ok?

I don't know that they're not but I am more at ease with the organic.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Gia's post about aspartame:

I'll share the posts about aspartame here. This is one about aspartame in general:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/08/24/aspartame/

and then there is this nice recovery story about Jazz my friend who has now been drug free for several years and is doing GREAT:

http://beyondmeds.com/2011/09/07/offmedssuccess/

so hang on and let your body heal...you've just eliminated something that is likely to make a difference!

Personally, I avoid artificial sweeteners of all types.

I'd go for organic chicken livers or any kind of liver, definitely. Who knows what those commercially raised animals are being fed.

Good to hear you like those livers, alex!

• 4 months later...

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/eating/health-conditions/depression/

This may not be new news....liked it.  I have been juicing and had a huge chocolate ice cream binge.

So I jumped back on the wagon today.  This site is where I get the recipes from.

Sugar makes me foggy, lethargic and down in the dumps.

I do not have GI issues so I can tolerate this well.

Thought you might want to see the better foods to choose from and the vits they contain.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 1 year later...

I find myself telling people about different foods i have eaten that helps some symptom or other and thought I wonder if there is a thread about this already so I looked and did not see one. 

Wa la we now have one. 

There is a list of things over the course of all these years that helped me and i am going to start with what I recall as the first things and add as I went along the process some things remain in my arsenal as I use them still and always will. 

Beets

I first came to beets thru a craving I had when i had a reaction to ppi drug when I was still on effexor... I could not get up slep for 30 hours. After the hosp took me off I craved beets like crazy bought enough for 6 people boiled and ate them all. Was like water for the thirsty. 

later in hard withdrawal I had fatigue and tried grated beets hoping I could get the same response from much less of them boiled if I ate them raw and they did help not only with fatigue but I had a sense they were cleaning some toxins out of me .. could be wrong but I felt cleaner. I grated them and kept them in the fridge and would eat a Tbl spoon full .. about every time I opened the fridge and thought I could stomach them.  A bit of lemon may help them go down or lemon and oil 

An alternative for friends is a salad I would take this to bbq so there would be something for me to eat... I am serious... I couldn't digest food.  So I made this salad ... grated beets grated carrot grated apple .. bit of oil bit of lemon or vinegar... bit of honey. I grew to love it.

Water

I started with beets cause I had it before withdrawal but believe I was in pooped out ...but once I was in the thick of it. I did this first when I could not eat.

4 cups of water on waking

brush your teeth really well  within 15 min of drinking  

eat something within the hour 

Bran 

The sticks not the buds...yes kellogs mods will remove it not cool I guess but I am stuck on type and brand

I tried the buds and other kinds and did not get the same results I got with the all ban sticks. If you check the nutrients you will find the buds do not have the same vitamin content. Many days this is what I ate with my water above and for many of the day only a tablespoon would go down. 

Pedialyte an electrolyte solution for babies. 

When I felt like I had a hangover and could not get up because I was too dizzy... I would drink a bottle of this.  I know you can make your own if you look it up but did not know that at the time... it kept me upright kind of. I can't recall a lot of what went on at this time as I was not functioning at all really.... but I recall needing it. 

Humus

I could not tolerate magnesium but found humus I made myself from the dried chick peas was calming.  I looked for it specifically for the mag content as I liked the epson salt foot baths and wanted the benefits other were getting from mag but it turned on me after a few days.  So i looked for food sources. This is what I found I later tried the can variety of the peas and find it not bad but not as good as the other dried peas but a lot less work if your not up to it... and the ones off the shelf already made the humus I mean is what I use a lot of now too... cause I am so lazy... and don't seem to react to foods as badly as I once did. 

good with carrots or any veg or rice crackers thin and crispy. 

Walking after eating

I know not food but if you can't get food to go down take a walk every time you eat was good for me till I broke my foot.. long story . 

just a start I know others will have foods to add... looking forward to it. 

peace all

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Dried apricots high in potassium... helped when I was edgy... from what I recall when I feel off I try a couple to see if they help sometimes they do and you will know withing an hour for sure.

peace 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 2 months later...

Hey all, 

I've noticed eating curry helps my withdrawal confusion and headaches. I've just read the same in another post. 

I'm curious if that's coincidence of if other people experience the same. 

If this is a pattern, maybe we can use it somehow. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

while on meds, i became much less adventurous, especially because everything was a massive task.  in withdrawal, ive finally branched out more, culinarily speaking, and sometimes my body feels best healed through indian, thai, and other foods that have a much different spice set from things i otherwise eat (western food, americanized chinese, western european, etc).

ive been reading a lot more on ingredients since being in withdrawal, and cooking with a lot more intention and specificity.  each spice is always more than a flavoring agent...they have pretty particular and interactive influences on our chemistry.  food is really a delicious science that most people get by on intuition with.

i cant comment specifically on curry alone, because i usually have meals incorporating a variety of complementary dish items, but i feel regenerated after some good indian food in a way different from other meals.  theres usually a time and place for everything.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

I personally haven't tried curry for withdrawal symptoms, but chilli is known to cause the release of endorphins (the body's natural painkillers which work like opiates), so perhaps that is part of the reason it helps?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Good to hear others have the intuition about curry, chilli and spices. I also read that chilli releases endorphins and and dopamine. Dopamine is the "reward" hormone that seems to get out of balance after SSRIs too. 

Yesterday I wanted to test the spice theory further. I poured some hot water over some diced ginger and some chilli flakes. Then added a bit of fresh lemon juice. 

It was quite spicy, but I felt my headache lift a bit. I'll keep experimenting. I like this kind of experiments as I feel it gives me a bit of control back. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Moderator Emeritus

Curcumin is anti-inflammatory (turmeric)

Chili is pain relieving (capsicain, used in many topical ointments, and I think there are oral preparations, too)

If you have success from curry, you might consider supplementing with curcumin.  It usually requires significant doses - 4-6g per day to have a "clinical effect" but if you get help from eating a curry, you may be able to get by on less.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy