New book "Génération zombie : enquête sur le scandale des antidépresseurs"

Altostrata

I haven't read the full thread so maybe this is here, though I doubt it...Anyone read this tome?

Drug-Induced Dysfunction In Psychiatry by Matcheri S. Keshavan

Seems it's probably a textbook and shockingly there aren't any reviews on Amazon...

It's from the nineties, so it would be interesting to know what they knew about in the early days of SSRIs and were teaching in schools.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I just realized you can preview parts of it, and it doesn't seem like they cover SSRIs/SNRIs.  However there are whole passages on akathisia, TD, drug-induced psychosis, sexual dysfunction, etc... and other drug effects from other classes of drugs, early ADs, lithium, antipsychotics, benzos...So it could prove useful to anyone who wants to learn about these other topics.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For people who aren't able to either buy or borrow these books, some of the authors have YouTube videos which contain similar information.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:25 PM, Cipramillion said:

I highly recommend this book, The Sedated Society: The Causes and Harms of our Psychiatric Drug Epidemic

https://www.amazon.com/Sedated-Society-Causes-Psychiatric-Epidemic/dp/3319449109

Can also be bought as an e-book from Springer. 

Cipramiilion any choice quotes from the book you want to share.

I think I might go to the library to see if they have this book.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, nz11 said:

Anyone read the new book called 'The pill that steals lives' .?

https://www.amazon.com/Pill-That-Steals-Lives-Antidepressants/dp/1786061333

It sounds a bit scary to me.

nz11

I'm now on page 96 she writes well.

I'm posting here to keep myself accountable to finish this in the next month! eek 

page 92 

"They take me off the drugs...........in the middle of the night I ring my brother David. I'm screaming in agony. He tries to calm me down but neither  he nor I understand that now my mind and body are going through indescribable agony from going CT ....."

Can anyone relate to this? I know I sure can. I didn't ring my brother I rang my father and it was 1am! 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 6 months later...

New book due to be released in May 2019...

“Drug Trial Secrets: How Drug Companies and Medical Experts Dupe You and Your Doctor”

Written by Dr. David Healy, Julia Wood, Dee Mangin, and Joanna Le Noury.

“Drug Trial Secrets tells the story of the most famous clinical drug trial of all time — the only trial to lead to a fraud charge, as well as the biggest drug company fine in history.

GlaxoSmithKline paid for Study 329, the clinical trial of their antidepressant Paxil (paroxetine) in the 1990s, and the resulting research was published in the Journal of the American Association of Child Adolescent Psychiatry. The article claimed the drug was effective and safe — even though GSK knew from the research that Paxil didn't work for children and was harmful. In 2004, New York State charged the company with fraud because of this publication. It wouldn't be until 2012 when the Department of Justice also charged GSK with fraud and failure to report safety data that GSK settled and paid a giant $3 billion fine.

But perhaps the most important result was that independent researchers were given access to the full, original records of the clinical trial and relating documents. David Healy and his co-authors spent thousands of hours re-analyzing the raw data, and in this book they describe exactly how GSK and the medical professionals who claimed authorship of the journal article manipulated the data to produce the false result they wanted. They also document the battle they finally won to get the British Medical Journal to publish a re-write of the original study — thirteen years later!

A gripping true-crime narrative, Drug Trial Secrets will leave readers with many questions about the reliability of drug company trials and research by medical professionals funded by drug companies.

About the Author
JULIE WOOD was an accountant until one of her sons committed suicide on an SSRI . With her husband, Peter, she then helped set up RxISK.org and created the Study329.org website. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

DEE MANGIN is the David Braley and Nancy Gordon Chair of Family Medicine at McMaster University and creator of TaperMD, an online tool to assist patients having a medication review with their doctors. She lives in Dundas, Ontario.

DAVID HEALY is an internationally respected psychiatrist, psychopharmacologist and author. Professor of psychiatry at Bangor University, Healy is a leading chronicler of psychotropic drugs and their controversies. He lives in Beaumaris, Wales.

JOANNA LE NOURY is a Senior Research Fellow at Bangor University, and the first author on the Restored Study 329. She lives in Llanfairfechan, Wales.”

https://www.amazon.com/…/1…/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EzyzBb8ACACC4

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

Excellent.  I'm very happy that Dee Mangin is involved, too.  She's a New Zealander and having her name on the book makes it easier for me to validate my experience to my GP who knows of her.  

Thank you for posting, Caspur.

Wishing you well wherever you are in your recover/reduction process.

Neroli

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

I will look forward to reading that.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

It is good that they did something but I think it would be better if they worked on some actual clinical trials and discovered there fraud. Because in this case the battle has been already won in the past when GSK got fine and I would like to learn something about the other trials - these not discovered - because I am sure most of them will be manipulated also.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 7 months later...

https://nypost.com/2016/04/05/are-antidepressants-making-women-sicker/

An excerpt....All you have to do is spend a few minutes on SurvivingAntidepressants.orgBeyondMeds.com, or SSRIstories.org to appreciate that we have created a monster. Millions of men, women and children the world over are suffering side effects, including complicated withdrawal routinely dismissed by their prescribing clinicians. Contrary to what Big Pharma would have you believe, weaning off antidepressants is extremely difficult, so choosing to take them could be signing up for a lifetime of medication use that creates and sustains abnormal states in the brain and entire nervous system. As a clinician who once believed in these medications, I have been humbled by what they are capable of. In fact, even when I have tapered women off of Celexa at extremely low increments of .001mg a month, it can be hard to imagine another class of substances on Earth so potentially complicated to discontinue.

I think I need to stop reading these articles. 

I'm genuinely worried and scared I'll never recover completely from the long term effects of being on these for 30 odd years. 

I don't remember ever feeling this way before after coming off them the few other times I tried.

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

The Myth of Mental Illness by Thomas Szasz

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• 2 months later...

Recently I have read two books about anti-depressants and I have been having a hard time with my anger. Not anger so much about what I have been through (there is no use in that as what's done is done) but anger over what is still being inflicted on millions of people including kids. I am also angry at myself that I didn't read these books when they came out. I am a researcher exactly in this field and I can't believe I put my head in the sand for this long. At some point in my life I interviewed Joseph Biederman, the guy who has been paid millions of dollars by pharma and created the diagnostic "tests" for AHDH in children and popularized bipolar disgnosis in children. He talked to me about innovation in healthcare! This was way before he was discredited for all his conflicts of interest. I can't believe I ate it all up! 

I am glad that I know what I know now. It helps quell my fear that anxiety (what got me onto SSRIs) is not a permanent feature of my brain due to some imalance of chemicals and can hopefully be managed. At least I hope it has not become permanent after the SSRIs. 

I feel like everyone should read these books - Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (the Mad in America founder) and The Emperor's New Drugs by Irving Kirsch. I am wondering if it would be useful to summarize these books for those of us who can't read as much in wd. I am only proposing this because I still see in some discussions people who believe the official line of the chemical imbalance. Heck, I believed it until a month or two ago. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/28/2019 at 7:04 AM, Onmyway said:

I am wondering if it would be useful to summarize these books for those of us who can't read as much in wd.

There are many videos online.

Video:  Irving Kirsch:  Emperor's New Drugs:  Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect (1 hour 20 minutes)

Video:  Robert Whitaker:  Our Psychiatric Drug Epidemic (50 minutes)

Video:  Coming off Psych Drugs:  A Meeting of the Minds (1 hour 15 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

Videos:  Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from? (1 minute)

How are psychiatric diagnoses made?  (1 minute 30 seconds)

Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes? (2 minutes)

Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects? (1 minute)

Do antidepressants work? (2 minutes)                 

Video:  Interview with Prof Peter Gotzsche "Deadly Medicines and Organized Crime: How Big Pharma has Corrupted Healthcare" (16 minutes)

Video:  The DSM:  Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam (1 hour 20 minutes)

Video:  Simple Truths About Psychiatry - Series of 10 by Dr Peter Breggin

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 5 months later...

Grace E Jackson she has the goods.. the proof and has a book or two... 

https://www.amazon.ca/Drug-Induced-Dementia-MD-Grace-Jackson/dp/1438972318

and because for years I only read books about antidepressant recovery ect cause I would have no life without recovery.... 

this little gem 

https://www.amazon.ca/Better-Living-Pursuit-Happiness-Prozac/dp/014026521X

in this book is described a trial on ADs on medical staff.... one pill I think with a glass of orange juice... sweet little test in its simplicity that may be worth as much as all those tainted drug trials...

only after one person started talking about odd effects did other join in saying it must be a side effect I did not think that possible.... well guess what folks neither did we.... the drugs that change things all people thought were impossible to change with a drug... in a nutshell... 

I know I am signing to the choir and gave up trying to convince anyone else ages ago... been gone a long time think i will be gone a long time again 

wishing you all peace 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 1 year later...

New book "Génération zombie : enquête sur le scandale des antidépresseurs"

Ariane Denoyel is a freelance journalist based in Grenoble, Isère, and the author of an investigation which will be published in mid-April by Fayard, "Génération zombie : enquête sur le scandale des antidépresseurs". Interview.

France Bleu Isère - The title of the book "Génération Zombie" is very evocative and very strong. You didn't choose the word "zombie" at random?

Ariane Denoyel - No, I assume it. I know it can be almost shocking, but that's how the victims of the most serious effects describe themselves. So I have really taken their words.

In fact, I think it was the book dedicated to a witness of your investigation who described this phenomenon to you: that of being almost absent from one's own body...

Exactly, David, who ended his life at the age of 23, in January 2020.

Not everyone who takes antidepressants is a zombie. I say this because it is perhaps important to remember that this is not a charge against all those who take antidepressants. In your book, your aim is not to make them feel guilty?

Oh no, certainly not. I think that the people who end up with these serious side effects - it's difficult to say what proportion of patients this represents - are rather victims. They are victims of widespread medical misinformation. In fact, the industry has created a bubble of false information. So really, we and the doctors are living in a world of medical fake news. Even doctors are not necessarily very well informed.

What made you want to take an interest in this subject? It is a sensitive subject and it is also taboo. Is it because you were at one point in your life on Prozac?

Yes, I was on Prozac and other antidepressants too. I remember very clearly a really unpleasant feeling of being disconnected. Well, it's very hard to describe. After several years, when I came across the work of a professor from Elis, it made me realize that it wasn't just me who reacted badly and for whom it wasn't effective at all. So it's rather that these are molecules which are not very effective and which have many undesirable effects.

The difficulty is that some people who take them regularly, if they stopped taking them from one day to the next, they would be even worse.

Yes, it's very dangerous to stop suddenly. You mustn't do it. All the great professors I have consulted insist on the fact that it is absolutely necessary to be well accompanied because it is very difficult to withdraw. Some people who have taken hard drugs say that it can be more difficult to withdraw from these antidepressants than from heroin or cocaine.

The current climate is obviously of concern to the government, which is also looking into the mental health of the French. There will be a conference on this subject next summer. Three confinements in one year, restrictions on freedom, loss of jobs, no prospects and, inevitably, more people asking their doctors for medication.

Yes, but drugs are not the only solution I think. And in any case, even if they decide to take them, I think it is very important that they are aware of the true benefit-risk ratio of these molecules. There has to be transparency. We all need transparency.

So you're saying that doctors should be trained, that they are perhaps being taken in by the laboratories, that doctors in good faith are prescribing these pills?

Absolutely. I don't blame doctors for prescribing them because the laboratories have considerable marketing power. They are perfectly able to direct the information from the beginning, from the clinical trials to the scientific press. So no, we can't blame doctors for being victims of this information bubble.

Ariane Denoyelle, you teach at the Grenoble and Échirolles School of Journalism (EJDG). Do you notice that students, young people in the prime of their lives, are not doing well because they have been deprived of their social life for several months. Have you seen this?

Yes, of course. I've seen that, it's extremely strong, the students are not doing well. Already, before the confinement, I think that the precariousness was very important among the students. Depression is also a consequence of social violence, when you are a precarious student, life is really very difficult, you have to combine a small job with studies, etc. So it was already hard. So it was already hard. But with the pandemic, it has become really hard.

The risk is that some students will become zombies if they use these drugs, is that what you're telling them?

I say that you really have to think about taking them. If you want to take these molecules, if you are considering it, you have to discuss it with your doctor. You have to get some information from several sources to get a more accurate picture of the benefits and risks.

In your book, there is also a point that you put forward. You talk about suicidal tendencies and the deep depression of some people, but there are also murderous impulses when you take drugs like that. You tell us that most of the killers in the United States were on psychotropic drugs.

This is what studies say when we look at trials. For example, that of James Eagan Holmes, the Aurora killer, it is very clear, there would not have been these murders if he had not been on medication. These studies give all sorts of examples and they go so far as to say that nine out of ten mass murderers in the United States are on psychotropic drugs.

This is an automatic translation from French; here is the original interview with video: https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/generation-zombie-enquete-sur-le-scandale-des-antidepresseurs-publie-aux-editions-fayard-1618476046

Edited by Altostrata
added title

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to say there’s a new book coming out on December 30th. Called “Antidepressed “.

it was recommended to me by a fellow sufferer of Antidepressant medication.

I have no affiliation to the author or book but it looks really interesting and highlights withdrawal, and also the inconsistency of generic drug formulations causing even more problems for people .

Fluoxetine 20mg 1993 2 years 

fluoxetine 20mg 2006 3 years 

fluoxetine 20mg 2017 3 years + diazepam for 7 days to get on fluoxetine

pregablin x 2 months I don’t remember the dose 2019

zopiclone 7.5mg x 1 week 01/2020

Diazepam 6 x 2mg in 1mg doses taken over 3 weeks (July/August 2020)

tapered by skipping doses and then finally stopping 3.5 weeks ago (August 2020)reinstatement 20mg x 3 days (23/8/20)Dropped to 10mg fluoxetine (27/8/20)stabilised in 10mg around Oct-Dec 2020started 10% taper in March 2021Started Taper from 6mg to 5.5 to 5 over the last 5 weeks 

Symptoms worse 14 days ago 

updose to 6mg 5 days ago still waiting to stabilise 

• Moderator Emeritus

Link to Amazon (no monetary gain for me)

Antidepressed: A Breakthrough Examination of Epidemic Antidepressant Harm and Dependence

by Beverley Thomson

Summary on Amazon:

A COMPREHENSIVE WAKE-UP CALL FOR PATIENTS AND PROFESSIONALS

Antidepressed breaks down the growing issue of antidepressant use, harm and dependence—how we got to this point, what’s happening worldwide every single day, and most importantly, where we go from here.

Providing information that both patients and mental health professionals desperately need, Antidepressed exposes the holes in mental health systems and highlights the desperate need for reform.

Featuring compelling accounts from real people whose lives have been irrevocably harmed by prescription antidepressants, Antidepressed provides proof that there is no such thing as a magic pill—and that pretending otherwise risks the lives and well-being of those who need help the most.

About Beverley Thomson

From https://www.bookdepository.com/Antidepressed-Beverley-Thomson/9781578269235

Beverley Thomson is a writer, researcher and speaker with a focus on psychiatric medication including antidepressants, benzodiazepines and ADHD drugs; their history, how the drugs work, adverse effects, dependence, withdrawal and development of patient support services. Her aim is to help inform and empower the patient to make informed choices about medication. She has a particular interest in withdrawal management and prescription drug-induced suicide. In the past 10 years, she has worked with organizations such as the British Medical Association, the Scottish Government (as part of a working group addressing the issue of prescribed drug harm and dependence in Scotland), the UK Council for Evidence-Based Psychiatry (writing evidence-based summaries to be used by professionals and the general public), and the UK All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence. She has contributed to articles in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) and mainstream media.

• ChessieCat changed the title to BOOK - Antidepressed : A Breakthrough Examination of Epidemic Antidepressant Harm and Dependence by Beverley Thomson

This looks so interesting, I’m excited to read! Thank you for sharing :)

Adderall 40mg, Lexapro 5mg, Ativan .5 mg PRN for 18 years. 
cold turkey august-September 2019 

100 percent medication free

• 5 weeks later...

Book Review: ‘Evidence-biased Antidepressant Prescription’ by Michael P. Hengartner

Not sure if anyone has heard of this 

ADs for over 50 yrs most of that time on Parstelin an MAOI. Also ECT and anti psychotic drugs in the 1970s. In recent years have taken Citalopram for a short time then Venlafaxine + ER 75mg then 37.5. + Mirtazapine. Tapered down from that over many months. Suggested by another group to bridge to Fluoxetine as supposedly withdrawal affects less than with Venlafaxine.

26/06/23. Off Venlafaxine but still on 20mg Fluoxetine. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Book: ‘Evidence-biased Antidepressant Prescription’ by Michael P. Hengartner
  • 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Any recommendations for new controversial books about psychiatry and treatment?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to New book "Génération zombie : enquête sur le scandale des antidépresseurs"