New German documentary (auto translation available) about missing efficacy of ADs

Mirtazapine20mg

Hi SA-members, 

One of the biggest and certainly the most serious German broadcaster, ARD, has just released a new and very interesting documentary about the use of and withdrawal from antidepressants. It features heavy hitters such as Prof. Tom Bschor (he is held in very high regard among GP's and psychiatrists in the German speaking world). Michael P. Hengartner is also participating. The documentary is called 'Tabletten gegen Depressionen – helfen Antidepressiva?' [Pills to fight depression - do antidepressants help?]. It is very critical of the current use of ADs. It will cause quite a stir I believe.

The video is available to watch on Youtube with auto generated subtitles.

Youtube:  Tablets against depression - do antidepressants help? - ARD 12.09.2022

You can click on the CC for closed captions.  Click the cog and click on Subtitles and then choose auto translation and then select the language.

This is the original site:

Watch it here: https://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/dokus/videos/tabletten-gegen-depressionen-helfen-antidepressiva-video100.html

Edited by ChessieCat
added youtube video link

2004: (apr): Citalopram 20 mg, June 60 mg., dec 20 mg

2004 (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg.

2014 (Jun): Citalopram stop cold turkey. Began 10 mg Vortioxetine

2017: (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg ->30 mg (after three day stint on psych ward)

2020: (aug): Vortioxetine 10 mg stopped cold turkey. 

2020 (dec): Mirtazapine 30 mg -> 15 mg (GPs instructions)

2021 (feb): Mirtazapine reinstatement 26,25 mg

2022 (Jan): Mirtazapine (5% taper): 14. Jan 24,9 mg, 6. feb 23,7 mg, 1. marts 22,5 mg, 15. marts 21,3 mg, 2. april 20 mg, 26. april 19. mg, 25. may 18.1 mg, 26 jun 17 mg.

Have always taken fish oil capsules. Do not drink alcohol when tapering. 1 multivitamin pill a day. Try to eat healthy, but impossible on mirtazapine.

• ChessieCat changed the title to New German documentary about missing efficacy of ADs

WHO IS PROF ULRICH HEGERL?

A journalist who did the research for the documentary contacted me after she found my website. We exchanged phone calls several times. Especially my discussion with Hegerl was important and she asked if there was clear evidence that Hegerl was corrupt. Unfortunately, there is not.

There is also Prof Ulrich Hegerl, who speaks in the documentary. Hegerl is a psychiatrist and founder of the »German Depression Aid Foundation«, a lobby organisation of the pharmaceutical industry. Hegerl is the chief lobbyist for the pharmaceutical industry in Germany and is considered an »expert« on depression, which he is not. Nevertheless, he is omnipresent in the German media and also spreads his false assumptions in a podcast of the NDR, broadcast channel of the ARD.

I have often written to this foundation and asked for statements. Most recently, it was about the stigmatisation of those affected (who have had terrible experiences with taking and discontinuing antidepressants).

The following Article is the last about this organisation so far.

»German Depression Aid Foundation stigmatises and censors sufferers«

30 May 2020 by Markus Huefner

The »Stiftung Deutsche Depressionshilfe« (herinafter called »German Depression Aid Foundation«) has now completely switched off the rating function to rate their Facebbookpage, after my appeal to those affected who have had bad experiences with taking or stopping antidepressants to rate the facebookpage. This means that no one can rate the page anymore and all ratings have been deleted, even the positive ones.

I confronted them because this brazen behaviour shows that this Foundation does not tolerate any opinion other than its own. This is about determining public opinion and controlling information.

Dear Sir or Madam,

recently a new review study was published in the journal »NeuroTransmitter« of your "Berufsverband deutscher Nervenärzte" (professional association of German neurologists), which comes to the conclusion that antidepressant withdrawal symptoms would be significantly underestimated in their frequency, duration and severity. I can confirm this, as can thousands of other sufferers. Unfortunately, the »Stiftung Deutsche Depressionshilfe« (German Depression Aid Foundation) does not inform us about this at all, which would be their task, the Foundation ignores us and denies this.

24 studies from 1990 until today with a total number of participants of over 4,000 patients were evaluated. Adequate consideration was given to the largest studies via patient surveys, controlled studies were included and studies with conflicts of interest were excluded. The most important results of the study are:

• ·Withdrawal symptoms occurred in an average of 56% of patients when reducing and discontinuing antidepressants,[2]
  • · In 46% of patients, these were severe.[3]
  • · The longer the period of use, the more likely withdrawal symptoms are to occur.[4]
  • · Long-term use is on the rise. About 50% of those affected took antidepressants for at least 2 years.[22, 23, 24, 25]
  • · Withdrawal symptoms can last weeks, months, or even years in the worst cases.

Are you actually aware that on the one hand you advocate for destigmatisation of the disease depression and on the other hand you stigmatise us sufferers?

»Stigmatisation describes a process in which people place other individuals or groups into a certain (negatively valued) category. This is done by attributing discreditable characteristics and attributes or by degrading already existing (visible) characteristics and attributes. Stigmatisation is derived from ancient Greek via the noun stigma (sting, stigma, branding).«

According to this definition, the »German Depression Aid Foundation« stigmatises (brands) us sufferers, because it ignores us and denies our suffering. This is a belittling of already existing characteristics and features: in our case, severe physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms, the duration, severity and frequency of which would be significantly underestimated according to the review study by Dr. James and Professor Read.

»Our mission is to represent the interests of ALL people with depression to the public and to policy makers.«

that is what the »German Depression Aid Foundation« says about itself. No, unfortunately you do not! We also have depression and were given antidepressants for treatment, with which we had terrible experiences, yet the Foundation does not represent our interests at all.

In its statutes, the Foundation describes itself as independent of the pharmaceutical industry, while the founder and first chairman Ulrich Hegerl accepts fees from Lundbeck for counselling and lectures. This is only one case that is publicly admissible, but how many payments has Mr. Hegerl not made public?

The Foundation would like to be assessed fairly and calls a non-recommendation of a sufferer, who did this professionally correct because of her bad experiences with discontinuing an SSRI, unfair on your Facebook page. This assessment is as fair as any other there, it is based on a personal experience. Now the Foundationhas completely switched off the rating function on its Facebook page after more and more professionally well-founded non-recommendations were received there.

That is censorship: Censorship is the control of information. The Foundation does not want a fair evaluation, it simply does not want to hear any other opinion that does not correspond to its opinion. The general public opinion regarding antidepressants and the causes of depression largely corresponds to the opinion of the Foundation, but unfortunately this is not really the general opinion but the published opinion of the pharmaceutical industry, whose mouthpiece you are. There can no longer be any doubt about that, that's the only way it makes sense. If that were not the case, it would certainly not be a problem:

· to inform comprehensively,

· to take into account those of us who are affected,

· to publish the information sheet on antidepressants,

· publish the DGSP (German Society for Social Psychiatry) position paper "Assumptions and Facts: Antidepressants" to be published,

· to refer to the ADFD (Antidepressants Forum Germany),

· to make the study on antidepressant withdrawal symptoms available to your readers

· not to delete our non-recommendations and comments on your Facebook page

The Foundation would then certainly be in a position to discuss with us argumentatively, because all this is the task of a truly independent self-help organisation, you are surely aware of that. The Foundation does not live up to its own claim in any way. You are using your influence to deliberately spread the wrong assumptions about depression and antidepressants, and in doing so you knowingly and consciously accept that more and more patients are being prescribed antidepressants without being informed, because doctors rarely do this, as the study shows. Thus, the Foundation is also partly responsible for the fact that there are more and more sufferers who experience great suffering by taking or stopping antidepressants, often for years and some cannot stop taking them at all and many even commit suicide.

You are not saving lives with your stubborn attitude, you are endangering lives on purpose.

You can also regard all this as collateral damage, which is what the the Foundation obviously does and justifies itself by saying that it is doing good for the masses, under the guise of doing good, it is easy. Do you know what democracy means? The task of a democracy is to find majorities, but the purpose is to protect minorities. Accordingly, the Foundation is not a democratic organisation. It unilaterally represents only its own interests. I understand that too, because you don't bite the hand that feeds you, that would be harmful to your own prestige and career.

Keep denying if it makes you feel better, you can deny anything with cognitive dissonance reduction, even the Holocaust. Later, when the truth comes to light, and it will, you can say that we didn't know anything about it. Until then,the Foundation will continue to cause collateral damage, people will die, suffer terribly and the German Depression Aid Foundation and all those who work for it are personally responsible for it.

As a sufferer, I find your behaviour shameful, irresponsible, unscrupulous and I feel excluded.

I am grateful that more and more sufferers are showing up, that there is depression-today, who are doing the educational work that you refuse to do. My blog is also getting more and more likes, in the last 4 weeks I've had over 5000 page visitors, and a total of over 200,000 page visitors since its inception in 2018. This shows me that there is a great need for education because you are not providing it.

Perhaps it will take someone you love personally to be affected until you change your beliefs, until you can no longer deny the facts. I don't wish that on you, antidepressant withdrawal is the worst withdrawal from psychotropic substances there is, especially after long term use. I have been struggling for 7 years and have 10 failed withdrawal attempts behind me, I probably won't survive it because it is unbearable and like me, it is the same for thousands who the Foundation is deliberately letting down.

Statement of the foundation from 11.06.2020

Dear Mr Hüfner,

as requested, I am sending you our statement on behalf of the German Depression Aid Foundation - we would ask you to use it in its entirety:

We adhere with our recommendations and statements to the guideline on depression, which you and your readers can read here: https://www.leitlinien.de/mdb/downloads/nvl/depression/depression-2aufl-vers5-lang.pdf. This is therefore not our "opinion", but the findings based on many studies according to which treatment is provided in Germany. Please feel free to contact the guideline conference with your ideas and suggestions for the treatment of depression.

You will not find any methods and approaches other than those published in the guidelines in our offers or publications. But we will of course also present new approaches.

We do not practice censorship - on one's own channel it is up to the provider whether and when to set up comments and ratings or not. The fact that you invite people to write reviews with almost identical text, as you also write, may the readers please judge for themselves.

Yours sincerely,

Susanne Baldauf

Management

My reply dated 11.06.2020:

Dear Ms Baldauf,

thank you very much for your statement, which I will publish as soon as you have answered the following questions, as you claim in your statement "to introduce new ways of course", this is important for the context. Please not a general answer but a justification for each point:

• Why don't you offer the important educational sheet on antidepressants for reading and downloading?
  • Why don't you publish the position paper of the DGSP?
  • Why do you not publish the mentioned study on antidepressant withdrawal symptoms, which was published in the journal NeuroTransmitter of YOUR professional association of German neurologists?
  • Why don't you report on sufferers who have bad experiences with taking and or discontinuing antidepressants and don't clarify this?
  • Why don't you allow critical opinions and comments and delete them when they become more and more?

All this is important information for patients, if it is natural for you to present new ways and new important information and publications, then it should be no problem to publish the mentioned ones as well, for the benefit of all patients. I would like to ask you to do this if you are really interested in the well-being of all people with depression and want to represent their interests. This can and must no longer be ignored. I appeal to your compassion, we want to be seen and heard and that you also represent our interests. Perhaps you will come and see for yourself, talk to us.

I have only encouraged sufferers to report their experiences, these were all individual, I can gladly send you the screenshots of these non-recommendations.

If you are independent of pharmaceuticals, then you certainly have no objection to making your payments public and ensuring transparency. Mr Hegerl demonstrably receives fees from the pharmaceutical industry.

You do not adhere to the guidelines, as you recommend antidepressants even for mild depression, which the guidelines do not do. You also do not mention the placebo effect, which is mentioned in the guideline. If you do follow the guideline, then please follow it exactly and not only what fits your beliefs.

With kind regards

Markus Hüfner

Answer from the Foundation dated 12.06.2020

Dear Mr Hüfner,

we had written to you that we also present new ways that are published in the guidelines. Please note this important context. We refer to the guidelines and always publish the link e.g. on Facebook/Social Media. Therefore, please contact the Guidelines Conference directly for your further questions and suggestions on antidepressants etc., the address was included in the link.

Yours sincerely

Susanne Baldauf

Management

My reply of 12.06.2020

Dear Ms Baldauf,

unfortunately you do not answer any of my questions. Do you believe that we have these bad experiences with antidepressants?

If you believe that, wouldn't it be your duty to educate all people with depression about it?

If you don't believe it, how can you be sure?

I have the impression that you have never read the guideline yourself, or how do you explain that you do not explain the risks and side effects, the low effectiveness, the placebo effect, the suicidality in your publications and on your website?

In the guideline it says under 3.4.4.3 Effectiveness testing and therapy monitoring

It cannot be ruled out that antidepressants (possibly SSRIs rather than others) increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and attempts at the beginning of therapy, especially in younger people.

You do not provide information about this.

Point 3.4.4.4 Discontinuation of medication states:

Antidepressants should usually be reduced gradually over a period of four weeks. In some cases, longer periods are needed.

You do not inform about this either. I could give more examples where you do not follow the guideline at all. You also make it very easy for yourself to always refer to the guidelines. You also have an obligation to educate people as a selfhelp-organisation for their benefit.

You should also stop claiming to represent the interests of ALL people with depression, because you don't!

Stop calling yourself "independent of the pharmaceutical industry" in your statutes, because you are not, or prove it by making the payments public. We both know that the pharmaceutical industry determines the guidelines and you are nothing more than the mouthpiece; to give yourself up for this is morally and ethically reprehensible.

Please explain why you do not want to publish the information sheet on antidepressants or the position paper of the DGSP, don't you think that is important?

If you continue to refuse and ignore all this, then there is only one conclusion that can be drawn: you are not nearly as independent of the pharmaceutical industry as you claim to be, and you should ask yourself personally to whom you as a self-help organisation are really committed.

The fact is that you knowingly contribute to the fact that there are more and more sufferers who can only stop taking their antidepressants with great difficulty over a very long period of time or not at all, and many even take their own lives as a result. Do you really want to continue to be responsible for this?

Comment:

Unfortunately my questions were not answered, I am always referred to the guidelines. The organisation is not interested in looking at the facts and studies beyond the guidelines and providing information. I give it a clear "non-recommendation"!

The guidelines are a joke, they are formulated as vaguely as one knows it from the package leaflet, in the previous version the Kirsch study on the placebo effect was explicitly dealt with, this part has now been deleted again. The problem of discontinuation is briefly mentioned in a side sentence.

Here is the link to the article on my website:

Stiftung Deutsche Depressionshilfe stigmatisiert und zensiert Betroffene

and here is the link to an article in which i discuss with Prof Hegerl via email:

https://die-psychopharmaka-falle.de/die-selbsthilfe-organisation-stiftung-deutsche-depressionshilfe-verschweigt-auf-ihrer-website-die-risiken-und-nebenwirkungen-durch-ssri-antidepressiva

If someone has more information about the foundation and Prof Hegerl, please contact me by using the contact form on my website or to webautor@die-psychopharmaka-falle.de.

"Words can travel thousands of miles. May my words create mutual understanding and love. May they be as beautiful as gemstones and as lovely as flowers."    -Thich Nhat Hanh 
Pharma-History:

60 mg fluoxetine since 2009 50 L-Thyroxine since 2018, 100 mg promethazine since the crash with microtapering in August 2021. Before the crash 10 mg since 2003, 5 mg lorazepam since August 2021. 1 mg lorazepam before the crash. New: 300 mg pregabalin since August 2021. nutrient therapy since 2017:

600mg 5-HTP, Tried various other nutrients. Current: 600 mg 5-HTP, 5000 i.e. vitamin D3+K2, 400mg magnesium citrate, 8mg Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin B complex, 500mg Gaba, Lavender capsules with 80mg, Vitamin C between 1000 and 3000 mg depending on requirements, 4 g zeolite for detoxification 
Since January 2022 to 2023 Pregabalin reduced from 300 to  200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @Bullitt1968for all the work you have undertaken to bring awareness of the suffering and duplicity associated with the psychiatric industry, especially in this case, Prof Hegerl and the pharmaceutical companies.  I send you best wishes on your recovery and well-being.

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Thank you very much. Do you speak German or how did a German documentation get into the English-speaking survivingantidepressant forum? Is there a german speaking community here? I would like to send this post to mad in america. I could not understand, that there is no Mad in Germany, I have tried to build it up, there is an url with two posts, but more i can not do, because of heavy concentration problems.

Maybe here is someone, who would build it up, I would try to support it,

"Words can travel thousands of miles. May my words create mutual understanding and love. May they be as beautiful as gemstones and as lovely as flowers."    -Thich Nhat Hanh 
Pharma-History:

60 mg fluoxetine since 2009 50 L-Thyroxine since 2018, 100 mg promethazine since the crash with microtapering in August 2021. Before the crash 10 mg since 2003, 5 mg lorazepam since August 2021. 1 mg lorazepam before the crash. New: 300 mg pregabalin since August 2021. nutrient therapy since 2017:

600mg 5-HTP, Tried various other nutrients. Current: 600 mg 5-HTP, 5000 i.e. vitamin D3+K2, 400mg magnesium citrate, 8mg Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin B complex, 500mg Gaba, Lavender capsules with 80mg, Vitamin C between 1000 and 3000 mg depending on requirements, 4 g zeolite for detoxification 

@Mirtazapine20mgThank you. I am from Germany and I have seen the documentary. Do you speak german or how did this documentary comes into this US-Forum?

Pharma-History:

Hallo @Bullitt1968,

Ich komme aus Dänemark, und wir lernen Deutsch in der Grundschule. Später schauen wir viel deutschen Fußball im Fernsehen, vielleicht auch ein bisschen Wetten, Dass?, und wenn wir endlich erwachsen sind, haben ein paar von uns genug gelernt, um Alltagsdeutsch zu verstehen. Aber ehrlich: nur eine Minderheit der Dänen kann als Erwachsene Deutsch verstehen. Ich habe auch in Berlin gelebt. Das hilft auch ;-). 

Hast du versucht nach deutschen Mitgliedern auf Survivingantidepressants zu suchen? Hier ist ein Link:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?type=core_members&joinedDate=any&group[4]=1&group[3]=1&group[18]=1&group[6]=1&group[19]=1&group[8]=1&core_pfield_6=germany&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc

Versucht doch mal einige davon zu schreiben :-).

Soren aus Dänemark.

Translation:

I come from Denmark, and we learn German in elementary school. Later, we watch a lot of German soccer on TV, maybe a bit of Wetten, Dass?, and when we finally grow up, a few of us have learned enough to understand everyday German. But honestly, only a minority of Danes can understand German as adults. I have also lived in Berlin. That helps too ;-).

Have you tried searching for German members on Survivingantidepressants? Here is a link:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?type=core_members&joinedDate=any&group[4]=1&group[3]=1&group[18]=1&group[6]=1&group[19]=1&group[8]=1&core_pfield_6=germany&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc

Try to write some of them :-).

Soren from Denmark.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by ChessieCat
added translation

2022 (Jan): Mirtazapine (5% taper): 14. Jan 24,9 mg, 6. feb 23,7 mg, 1. marts 22,5 mg, 15. marts 21,3 mg, 2. april 20 mg, 26. april 19. mg, 25. may 18.1 mg, 26 jun 17 mg.

Have always taken fish oil capsules. Do not drink alcohol when tapering. 1 multivitamin pill a day. Try to eat healthy, but impossible on mirtazapine.

Übrigens, ich vergesse immer, dass fast niemand im englischsprachigen Raum Deutsch versteht. Ich dachte, dass sich alle über eine Doku in der ARD freuen würden, aber keiner scheint es Beachtung zu schenken :-(.

Translation:

By the way, I always forget that almost no one in the English-speaking world understands German. I thought that everyone would be happy to see a documentary on ARD, but no one seems to pay attention to it

Translated by deepL

Edited by ChessieCat
added translation

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Mirtazapine20mg said:

Übrigens, ich vergesse immer, dass fast niemand im englischsprachigen Raum Deutsch versteht. Ich dachte, dass sich alle über eine Doku in der ARD freuen würden, aber keiner scheint es Beachtung zu schenken :-(.

Translation:

By the way, I always forget that almost no one in the English-speaking world understands German. I thought that everyone would be happy to see a documentary on ARD, but no one seems to pay attention to it

Translated by deepL

You might add a link to this topic here:

European members please check in here

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Mirtazapine20mg said:

Translation:

Translated by deepL

I would like to watch it, but I don't think that there are subtitles or a transcript which can be translated.  It would be good if someone does a translated transcript and paste it in this topic then English only speaking people would also benefit from this documentary.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

That is an excellent idea ChessieCat. I will consider doing it myself. Just have to figure out the technical side of things. But a nice little weekend project. BTW: I will of course translate everything I write in German in the future. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Mirtazapine20mg This might be the Youtube version of it which has a transcript but no English subtitles.

It's a start:

Tabletten gegen Depressionen - helfen Antidepressiva? - ARD 12.09.2022

I will start a new post - my browser froze.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

@Mirtazapine20mg

The auto generate subtitles are available on the Youtube version.  I will put a link and information in Post #1.

Edited by ChessieCat

• ChessieCat changed the title to New German documentary (auto translation available) about missing efficacy of ADs
  • Moderator Emeritus

It was only put on Youtube today!

That is solid work. I will look through auto-generated one and see how well it translates. The computer generated translations between German and English have over time become quite good. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've also changed the topic title to include auto translation available.

👍

19 minutes ago, Mirtazapine20mg said:

The computer generated translations between German and English have over time become quite good. 

I retract the above. The auto-generates subtitles are hard to understand - at least for me. I will contact the owner of video and ask if she or he will allow me to add English subtitles. 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Mirtazapine20mg said:

I will contact the owner of video and ask if she or he will allow me to add English subtitles. 

That would be good.  I am sure they would appreciate it.  The more exposure documentaries like this receive the better.

Hello,

I am from Germany and have my own information portal (https://die-psychopharmaka-falle.de) I am affected myself.

I gave input for the documentary, I had several telephone conversations with a journalist from the film team who did the research for it. I had put together a dossier with all the important studies and articles.

I saw that the documentary is no longer available on youtube due to copyright infringement. 

This video is no longer available due to a copyright infringement complaint from WDR, the WDR

I will write to WDR, the german broadcaster who produces the documentary and also the film crew and ask what happened.

I suspect that Prof Hegerl's German Depression Aid Foundation (Stiftung Deutsche Depressionshilfe) is responsible. This foundation is a lobby organisation of the pharmaceutical industry and Hegerl is the chief lobbyist in Germany. I have had several conversations via email with him.

In the documentary he makes a statement that tells you everything you need to know about him and what he wants or demands:

The big problem is that many people still need a long time before they finally get up and try antidepressants.

I also have the complete youtube transcript (see attachment)

The documentary can now only be seen in the ARD media library here:

https://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/dokus/videos/tabletten-gegen-depressionen-helfen-antidepressiva-video100.html

I can say from personal experience that Hegerl controls with his foundation and its expensive marketing campaigns, the meaning about Depression and antidepressants. He is in favour of selling antidepressants to everyone, including children and young people. The man is obsessed with the serotonin hypothesis, on the foundation's website it is still propagated as the main cause of depression.

Hegerl is confronted in the documentary with fees he receives from pharmaceutical companies to the very end and denies it, although he is shown it is actually proven.

I wrote a commentary about Hegerl above entitled "Who is Prof Hegerl?" in this thread at the beginning.

He is a narcissistic *******!!!! No doubt about him an his foundation as lobby organisation in german community!

I wrote an article about the documentary for my website.

Markus

transkript tabletten gegen depressionen helfen antidepressiva.docx

Edited by Bullitt1968
revised

Pharma-History:

@Mirtazapine20mg

Hi, 

the documentary can be seen again on youtube. The owner and producer is WDR (West German Broadcasting).

I know a journalist who is part of the documentary team. If you want, I can ask her if she can help you, e.g. refer you to WDR for English subtitles.

I also have the full transcript of the documentary and I can tell you that it's an extreme amount of work. I am currently writing a piece about the documentary for my website and I have only translated the doctors' statements. Often words or sentences are missing or the programme gives the wrong words if someone didn't speak clearly enough.

The entries are all time-stamped. The transcript then looks like this:

00:00:12,109 --> 00:00:15,388
antidepressiva sorgen dafür dass ich

00:00:14,218 --> 00:00:17,219
mich nicht von der nächsten klippe

00:00:18,769 --> 00:00:23,118
würde alles dafür geben wenn ich das

00:00:21,118 --> 00:00:26,960
damals wenn ich noch mal zurück könnte

00:00:23,118 --> 00:00:26,960
und es nicht eingenommen hätte
00:00:14,218 --> 00:00:17,219
not to fall off the next cliff

00:00:18,769 --> 00:00:23,118
would give anything if I could

00:00:21,118 --> 00:00:26,960
then if I could go back

00:00:23,118 --> 00:00:26,960
and would not have taken it

The transcript consists of about 55 pages. Please let me know if you have translated it completely, that would be a great help for my blog post. It is definitely not a weekend job.

kind regards

Markus

Pharma-History:

On 10/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Bullitt1968 said:

He is a narcissistic *******!!!! No doubt about him an his foundation as lobby organisation in german community!

I love it, I will get back to you Markus :-). 

@Mirtazapine20mg

Hey, thank you. I was in contact with Dr. Horowitz and was allowed to translate his professional paper

The article contains the full translation of the scientific article "Tapering of SSRI treatment to mitigate withdrawal symptoms by Dr Horowitz and Prof. Dr Taylor. I wrote to Dr Horowitz and asked him to translate the article and publish it here, which he was happy to do.

Absetzmethode zur Verminderung von Entzugssymptomen beim Reduzieren und Absetzen von SSRI-Antidepressiva

I was also allowed to translate Dr Horowitz's interview with Mad in America into German. We often write to each other when I have a technical question or don't understand something. Unfortunately, he only has a little time.

Peer-Support-Gruppen hatten Recht, Leitlinien waren falsch: Dr. Mark Horowitz über das Absetzen von Antidepressiva

Kind Regards

Markus

Pharma-History:

@Mirtazapine20mg

Hey, hättest Du Lust für meine Website Beiträge zu schreiben, als Gastautor? Würde mich freuen. 

Herzlichen Gruß 

Markus 

Pharma-History:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Bullitt1968, @Mirtazapine20mg

Thank you for sharing these infos.
I don't speak German. I was about to share the Youtube link of the documentary to get the English subtitles, but it seems that the video is no longer available.
If you come across a link to an accessible video with subtitles, I'd love to share it.
Take care 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi, the Video is on youtube without english subtitles, maybe you want to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_K-DU35dk&t=820s

Pharma-History:

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Bullitt1968 said:

Hi, the Video is on youtube without english subtitles, maybe you want to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_K-DU35dk&t=820s

I don't know anyone who speaks German, I was interested to share the video with English subtitles. 
I'll follow this thread in case a link with english subtitles will be created one day.
Thank you!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Wanted to let you know that there is an english spoken  version of the doc on Youtube. LINK> : Tablets for depression 

Uploaded since March'23

Start Venlafaxin: 2005-2014 75mg, 2014-2021 300mg | Two failed attempts (2020 and 2021), reinstate  no problem

Start Trittico: 2019 – now

3th attempt 2021 May, down 225/300, June, reset 300/300 | reset didn’t work,  Sept., up and down 10% , until Feb 2022 reached to 160mg | still no improvement

2022 Feb, up to 187,5mg | end of Feb. stability, March, down to 112,5mg | end of March better stability, April, up to 150mg | beginning of April very bad

July, up to 187,5

2023 May , 150 Venla and 50 mg Trazodone

Yes, it is quite good translated.

Pharma-History:

• Mentor
On 3/8/2023 at 2:05 PM, venlafaxed said:

Hi everyone

Wanted to let you know that there is an english spoken  version of the doc on Youtube. LINK> : Tablets for depression 

Uploaded since March'23

Deleted post

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, arbor said:

Thank you @Bullitt1968for all the work you have undertaken to bring awareness of the suffering and duplicity associated with the psychiatric industry, especially in this case, Prof Hegerl and the pharmaceutical companies.  I send you best wishes on your recovery and well-being.

Arbor

I agree to 100 % with @Bullit, he owns a fabulous website called „ Depression Heute „ which is very rare to find in Germany. Thank you very much Bullit! I learned a lot from his site. But I am still suffering a lot, everything is getting even worse😢

I am trying to reinstate Lexapro again after more than a year ago. Don’t know if it helps. But this terrible feelings, this strong anxiety, the heavy arms, the dizziness, and all the other symptoms, when will they ever go?! 

18 years of Escitalopram/ Lexapro 

• since 2004 until December 2021 Escitalopram/ Lexapro
  • Jan 2004 until June 2004 10 mg Escitalopram 
  • July 2004 until March 2011 20 mg Escitalopram 
  • 2011 until 2016  10 mg Escitalopram
  • 2016 until Dec 2021  20 mg Escitalopram
  • Dec 2021 until end of Jan 2022  5-week taper of Escitalopram, 5mg less per week to 0 end of Jan 2022/ last doses 2,5 mg /1,25 mg

Trying to reinstate with Vortioxetin/Brintellix used instead of Escitalopram/ Lexapro! in June 2022 Vortioxetin 10mg only for about 2 days; the 5 mg for 2 weeks, then Stop because of the effects of worse symptoms ( dose to high !? ) 

Starting to reinstate Lexapro on March 25th, 2023 with 0,25 mg following 26th March 0,5 mg; since 2nd of April 1 mg liquid drop; in between again dose cut to 0,5 for 2 days; increased again on April 4 th to 1 mg until 23th April;  reduced dose 0,5 mg again on 24th April 23 - 30.04.23; reduced dose effective May 1st, 23 to 0,25 mg. 

currently supplements are Diasporal Magnesiumcitrat 300 mg and Doppelherz Omega 3 Fatty Acids 1400 mg EPA 285 mg/ DHA 190 mg , Multivitamine Fruit Juice La Vita 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy