Rep Jackson's bipolar diagnosis

compsports

Is anyone else as skeptical as I am about his diagnosis?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-rep-jackson-being-treated-for-bipolar-depression-clinic-says-20120813,0,4212297.story

Apparently, he had problems after undergoing weight loss surgery in 2004. A psychiatrist was quoted as stating that could have made his BP issues worse. Yeah, right.

I will bet he was put ADs at some point and was diagnosed on the basis of a med reaction.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Is anyone else as skeptical as I am about his diagnosis?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-rep-jackson-being-treated-for-bipolar-depression-clinic-says-20120813,0,4212297.story

Apparently, he had problems after undergoing weight loss surgery in 2004. A psychiatrist was quoted as stating that could have made his BP issues worse. Yeah, right.

I will bet he was put ADs at some point and was diagnosed on the basis of a med reaction.

CS

fHi CS

That is the reason most people are Dx BiPolar, I and II. Before ADs, Manic Depressive Illness was rare. See Whitaker, Link2, Link 3.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

This seemed nonsensical to me, too, cs. If his weight-loss surgery made him sick, which is what the original Mayo Clinic releases said, he's got an iatrogenic medical problem, not "bipolar disorder."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"Bipolar depression" is a crock. It's a low mood that hasn't responded to SS/NRIs and then deemed "treatment resistant/atypical/bipolar depression" with license to add on antipsychotics, as stated in article. Notice his "depression" began as fatigue. Fatigue doesn't respond to serotonergics. It gets worse. I know.

Such BS.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

This is the entire Mayo Clinic press release, upon which all the other news stories are based. http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2012-rst/7032.html

Update: Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr.

Monday, August 13, 2012 CORRECTION: We are revising the statement to clarify the type of surgery Congressman Jackson had. Here is the revision to information in the second paragraph

below:

Congressman Jackson underwent bariatric surgery in 2004, specifically a duodenal switch. This type of surgery is increasingly common in the US and can change how the body absorbs food, liquids, vitamins, nutrients and medications.

ROCHESTER, Minn. — Following extensive evaluation, Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. is undergoing treatment for Bipolar II depression at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Congressman Jackson is responding well to the treatment and regaining his strength.

Many Americans have bipolar disorder. Bipolar II disorder is a treatable condition that affects parts of the brain controlling emotion, thought and drive and is most likely caused by a complex set of genetic and environmental factors. Congressman Jackson underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2004. This type of surgery is increasingly common in the US and can change how the body absorbs food, liquids, vitamins, nutrients and medications.

Congressman Jackson has asked Mayo Clinic to distribute this information on his behalf. He and his family remain grateful for support and prayers offered and received on his behalf.

Note: No time frame is specified for another update on Congressman Jackson's condition. See more information on Bipolar II depression.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy