Trad: 12 years Zoloft - seeking tapering guidance

Trad

Original topic title before shortening:  New Member Trad, seeking guidanc in withdrawing from Zoloft after 12 years.

Brand new here. Trying to not violate any rules. I have been on Zoloft for over 12 years, tried twice before to slowly go off but the zaps and  bouts of emotion and depression forced me back on the drug. Again this year I am trying to withdraw, and after five months down from 200mg a day to 50mg. No ill effects except for this past ten days. Not depressed, but feelings of hopelessness and arguments with my wife adding to that. My big question is how to determine if what I am feeling is withdrawal side effects or real depressive issues. Also, any other tips as I go through this process. Thanks much!

Trad

Edited by ChessieCat
added original intro title before shortening

2010 Started Zoloft 100mg/ 2012 Increased to 200mg

2015 Attempted to withdraw, took 3 months to eliminate/ 2015 Failed withdrawal, emotional,crying, started again at 100mg
2017 Began withdrawal, took 4 months. /2017 Quit job, moved 2,700 miles across country, family issues

2018 Severe depression, started Zoloft again 100mg. /2018 to 2022 dose 200mg. /Spring 2022 started slow withdrawal. 200 to 150 to 100 to 50mg.

July 2022 steady at 50mg. No issues.Mid Sept 2022 Marital issues, stress, not depressed but hopeless feeling.
Current: At 50mg but can't determine if feelings are natural depression or withdrawal reactions.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Trad: 12 years Zoloft - seeking tapering guidance
  • Administrator

Hi, Trad.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

From your withdrawal history, it looks like you tapered too fast. This is a common problem because doctors are good at putting us on these drugs, but not so good at giving information on getting off them. We advise tapering no faster than 10% a month, based on the previous month's dose (not the original dose). Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain 

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery  video (4 minutes)

On 9/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, Trad said:

My big question is how to determine if what I am feeling is withdrawal side effects or real depressive issues.

Please see:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you, you've provided some great information for me.

2010 Started Zoloft 100mg/ 2012 Increased to 200mg

2015 Attempted to withdraw, took 3 months to eliminate/ 2015 Failed withdrawal, emotional,crying, started again at 100mg
2017 Began withdrawal, took 4 months. /2017 Quit job, moved 2,700 miles across country, family issues

2018 Severe depression, started Zoloft again 100mg. /2018 to 2022 dose 200mg. /Spring 2022 started slow withdrawal. 200 to 150 to 100 to 50mg.

July 2022 steady at 50mg. No issues.Mid Sept 2022 Marital issues, stress, not depressed but hopeless feeling.
Current: At 50mg but can't determine if feelings are natural depression or withdrawal reactions.

• Administrator

You're welcome, @Trad. Let us know if you have any questions.

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.