areyouthere

Did I go wrong with my nailfile?

areyouthere

OK. So I used a nail file ( the orange side... you know more rough) and struck 30 tablets 20 times each and started taking them the day before yesterday. Today I have a headache but that's not unusual, but I am also feeling a little jittery.. like my little finger on my left hand twitches once in awhile and my eyelid did a few earlier in the day.

It definitely feels as if something is different. What should I do? Keep going? To see if it IS the taper? I am under a bit more stress because of work but my gut is telling me this is the taper. Go back to the full 20 mg.? And wait until I can get a more controlled taper ?

Cripe. Don't we all feel it won't happen to us?

peggy

I really think you need to be systematic with your taper - i think you need to know (at least around about) how much you are taking and take the same amount daily for 3 -4 weeks before you taper again

areyouthere

Thanks for responding Alex.

By "strike" I mean I held each 20 mg. tablet between my thumb and index finger with my left hand and using a finger nail file held in my right hand , rubbed (filed) off ( or "on the the Pill" however you look at it) the pill 1,2,3,4 etc. 20 times.

Thereby reducing the dosage. The powdered Lex. just fell to the table as I filed. No CLUE by how much I actually reduced. I have to get a digital scale to figure it out at least by weight.

It's not been a great day.

alexjuice

So you shaved 20 strokes off each of the pills? From here I don't know how much a stroke takes with it. Would you say your pills are 5% smaller, 10%, 25%?

If I were going to use this method, I would probably not reduce so many pills at once.

Brandy

Am I correct that you just shaved the lexapro, and prepared a 20-day supply?

I've heard of people using nail files, but there are certainly more precise methods. Forgive me if you've discussed this in other threads, but are you able to get the lex in liquid form? That would be the best way to measure very small drops precisely.

Like Alex, I wondered what approximate percentage of the pill was shaved off when you filed it. Remember too that if it's a round pill, each successive filing you do on a pill will shave off slightly more than the previous ones. Try holding a shaved pill next to a whole (unshaved) pill and try to estimate what percentage has been removed from the shaved pill. Bear in mind the shape of the pill.

If it looks like about 10% has been shaved off, you might need to taper with a smaller cut in dose. Some people need to drop by 5% and occasionally some people find they need to do just 2.5%. Best to start small and see over time how your body responds.

areyouthere

Yeah. I totally F'ed this up. Thanks for the advice and sticking with me. I have enough (whole 20mg) pills... 60 to be exact.

So let's say that I knew exactly how much I tapered.... and it was 10%. And on the third day I had some twitching, & distorted vision ( the symptoms I experienced today.... they've gotten better toward this evening) ... What would you advise? 1) Keep going at 10% and see what happens? OR 2) immediately reduce the taper tomorrow to 5 % ? OR 3) go back on the whole dose , wait to stabelize & then go ahead and try 5 %?

areyouthere

Also.... up until a year ago or so I was taking 10 mg. Lex. I would cut the 20 mg. tabs. in half with a knife resulting in unequal pieces. It never , ever bothered me. I did that for 8 years. Then I had some extra, bug-time stress and like a dumb ass upped my own dose. Yeah. I'm late to the party.

If someone has a logical explanation for why unequal amts. before ( blood serum levels) never bothered me why unequal amts. now ( crude nail file method) WOULD I'd like to hear it.

Here's the thing.... Pretty quick here I will get super busy. Crazy busy. Busy enough that slight symptoms ( less than what I had today) will likely not even be noticed by me. That would be a bonus IMO for starting a taper rather than thinking what my body is doing 24/7. I really would like to get a head start on tapering from 20 to 10.... but slowly.

BUT I don't want to totally mess this up. I'm just beginning to understand the damage I've done and the power of these drugs.

Yes, I can get a prescription for the liquid. I may be able to get it over the phone but if not I'll have to wait until my next appt. in Nov.

Signed,

Clueless

peggy

it seems that maybe your nervous system is a bit more sensitive second time around - that is often the way, the more you play around, the more sensitive your brain becomes - that is why consistency is important.

I would consistently take the last dose you were last stable on for 4 weeks and then decrease 10% from there for another 4 weeks, rinse and repeat. You will probably need to get a scale to do this accurately - or go over to liquid. You are lucky your dose comes in liquid.

Don't beat yourself up for being clueless - you are a long way ahead of many people just by finding this site - just make a commitment to doing it the right way from this point on.

areyouthere

it seems that maybe your nervous system is a bit more sensitive second time around - that is often the way, the more you play around, the more sensitive your brain becomes - that is why consistency is important.

I would consistently take the last dose you were last stable on for 4 weeks and then decrease 10% from there for another 4 weeks, rinse and repeat. You will probably need to get a scale to do this accurately - or go over to liquid. You are lucky your dose comes in liquid.

Don't beat yourself up for being clueless - you are a long way ahead of many people just by finding this site - just make a commitment to doing it the right way from this point on.

Ok Peggy. Thank you so much for this reply. It's like pieces falling just right into this puzzle. This is exactly what I will do. I'm going to go back to the 20 mg. tomorrow. Chill out. Think this through and do what I was originally intending to do.... make a freaking PLAN. Wow. What a learning curve this is and again, I can't thank you enough. My anxiety level just dropped to near zero.

Altostrata

I have no idea how much 20 strokes of a nailfile on a Lexapro tablet would take off.

Usually people who are using the filing method add only one swipe at a time.

I strongly recommend a more systematic way to taper, either via a liquid or the digital scale.

Go back to 20mg and figure out what you want to do. You might save the tablets you filed for use in the future, if you should get a digital scale.

If you can't afford to put these tablets aside, you could ask a patient pharmacist to weigh a few whole 20mg tablets for you to see what the average weight is per milligram. Then weigh all of your filed ones, divide the total by average weight per milligram, you'll find out how many milligrams (approximately) you have in all. You might use these tablets for a DIY solution.

See Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

You may note that in none of our tips for tapering topics do we recommend filing a tablet! It's very imprecise.

areyouthere

I'm going to let this topic stand in Tapering, retitled, as a topic about the nailfile method.

Greeeeeeeeat!!! Glad I could help out with the " proper way to improperly do multiple things at once" :P

Oh well. I AM getting good advice and if this will in any way help others... well maybe what goes around comes around? Fingers and toes crossed. :)

Shanti

I'm using a nail file in my Xanax taper, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on going extremely slow and have a small dose to start with. My Xanax is only .5 mg, and it's too hard to measure even with my jeweler scale. I am in no hurry and I want this as painless as possible. So I take two swipes off 10 pills. Then after I take those, I take 4 swipes off 10 pills, etc. However, Benzo w/d reaction seems to peak sooner than antidepressants, so 10 days is fine to me. If I were doing this with antidepressants, I'd give it at last 3 weeks between reduction. I also agree that it's probably not a good idea to shave 20 pills at once, just in case you need to updose to correct a bad withdrawal reaction. With Benzos, they are less forgiving as a reupdose doesn't always fix the reaction, and that is why I'm going so very slow by using the file.