Adrenaline when trying to fall asleep

KSW54

Anyone else experience adrenaline rush when trying to fall asleep. I will get into a light sleep and all of a sudden a rush of energy throughout my body. This typically happens for hours. I have tried everything to get sleep but this happens every night and I am now going days without sleep. Anyone have anything that helped them? I practice good sleep hygiene by not using devices before bed, take a bath with Epson salt, have black out curtains in my room. Nothing seems to help and I am desperate. 

May 2016-September 2021 Effexor 37.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

This might be a cortisol spike / surge which can happen at any time.

early-morning-waking-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I had this for months and months after getting my first and second covid jabs. Just as I was dropping off a jolt of adrenaline through my chest. I got used to it and it very slowly faded over time as my nervous system stabilised. I think I had it for a good 6-9 months but it’s long gone for now. 

First time it happened I was terrified. Best thing I can suggest is doing work on accepting the symptom and not allowing it to cause a fear response. It takes a lot of work.

Diphragmatic breathing is also useful. Breathing in for 4 seconds through the nose, hold for 4, out for 8 slowly through the mouth. I did this for 15-30 mins whilst listening to meditation or calm music. 

It will fade with time.

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• 1 year later...

Hi, just reading this post…I came off my AD 7 months ago and have been having this happen every night for the last 2 months.  Every time I try to fall asleep I am awoken by rushing throughout my body and brain.  This happens over and over and I’m not sleeping which is compounding everything else.  It’s not the morning cortisol as it happens when I’m initially falling asleep or throughout the night and it’s not jerks either…it’s rushes throughout my body.

did this resolve for you or did you find anything that helped…it’s very distressing and it’s like a panic attack at night but over and over.

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!

32 minutes ago, Rhernan said:

Every time I try to fall asleep I am awoken by rushing throughout my body and brain.  This happens over and over and I’m not sleeping which is compounding everything else.

@Rhernan I had this for quite some time. I even remember making myself stay up to avoid the feeling when I would doze off. It did eventually pass for me - I expect it will do the same for you. I knew things were improving when I was able to nod off for a short nap during the day. Have you tried yoga nidra, or maybe gentle music to play as you're falling asleep?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

1 minute ago, LotusRising said:

@Rhernan I had this for quite some time. I even remember making myself stay up to avoid the feeling when I would doze off. It did eventually pass for me - I expect it will do the same for you. I knew things were improving when I was able to nod off for a short nap during the day. Have you tried yoga nidra, or maybe gentle music to play as you're falling asleep?

Did you have that feeling in your brain too?  It’s an all over sensation but the brain part is what keeps me up over and over and it’s happening all night long on many nights.  I also severely sweat and feel scared.  I am able to calm down only for it to happen again and again.

I haven’t tried music or yoga nidra, but I was looking at a pillow speaker to see if the music helps at all. I do have a fan that runs in my room for white noise, but maybe that isn’t enough anymore.  

when you had this feeling how long did it last and did you often feel like it was toxic sleep?

Thank you soooo much for replying this is by far my worst symptom!!!

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!

11 minutes ago, Rhernan said:

Did you have that feeling in your brain too?

@Rhernan I don't recall it being a specific sensation in my brain. I did have a somewhat related feeling of energy/electricity moving through my body on waking, but for me it was unrelated. I don't recall how long it lasted for me, but I know it no longer happens. 

Maybe give yoga nidra a try. It gives you something to focus on while you're falling asleep, so it might be calming for you. I used an app called Insight Timer, which is free.

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy