Trialanderror2865: need advice on tapering paroxetine

Trialanderror2865

I am an 18 year old male and I suffered from panic attack due to stress from my exams. I also have social anxiety and I also search for diseases related to minor symptoms faced by my body. 

I was prescribed clonazepam and propranalol for my anxiety and it helped me a lot. Since I have had around 4-5 panic attacks in my last 4 years, I was prescribed paroxetine and after 1 month on parox I was asked to consult the Physchirtist. He said to take it for one more month and again said to visit after the next month. The next month I was asked to continue it for 1 more month with 9.325mg and then the next month drop the dosage to 6.25 mg and continue it for 1 more month and then stop taking it from the next month. 

I came across this site and now I am afraid to drop to 0 the next month. What should I do? 

I never had severe withdrawal. I had lightheadedness for like 3 days and then I was back to normal but currently I have cold and I am not well and I am taking paracetamol for my fever. Please guide me 

PREVIOUS DOSAGE:-

22nd May 2022 - 5th July 2022:- Clonazepam(0.5mg) + Propranalol (20mg) 

5th July 2022 - Paroxetine CR 12.5mg

6th September 2022 - Paroxetine CR 9.375 mg

CURRENT DOSAGE:- PAROXETINE CR

4th October 2022 - 6.25mg

29th October 2022 - 4.7mg

30th November 2022 - 3.5mg

18th December 2022 - 3.125mg

Hey guys, I know you guys are busy but since my story is below so many other stories, I am just replying so that my story is visible to you guys. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Trialanderror2865: need advice on tapering paroxetine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trialanderror2865,

Welcome.  Hmmm, looks like your prescriber was suggesting a taper prior to telling you to just stop. 

Thanks for getting your signature done.  Bravo!

Here's what we'd suggest and some of the why's of that:

We recommend that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
So each taper of 10% or less is based on the previous dose, not just the starting dose

this one ^ illustrates how at the lower doses, the tapers become even smaller, and one factor in why that is best

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms may occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, communicate with us,  and keep a record of your journey.

Personally, I think you should go with a harm reduction taper from here on out. 

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,
moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hey guys, I hope you are doing well. 

I am just 18 years old and I have a very little knowledge on how things work in our life. 

As I mentioned I had social anxiety. I admit being on SSRI made me feel 100 times better than before. I agree that I hate the thought of being on them for long period and since I have been on then for so short amount of time. 

I have managed to cut off 50% of the drug with no major withdrawls yet. 

But currently I am very much focused on my studies. I would say for 2 more years I am gonna study very attentively. 

I will consult my doc for this matter but I wanna know if I should just keep taking it and forget about tapering as there is chance I might have wd's which will affect my career. I really wanna know what do you guys think of my condition. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trialanderror2865,

On 10/11/2022 at 3:41 PM, manymoretodays said:

Personally, I think you should go with a harm reduction taper from here on out. 

Please look at the topics I offered at the start, particularly these 2:

On 10/11/2022 at 3:41 PM, manymoretodays said:
So each taper of 10% or less is based on the previous dose, not just the starting dose

this one ^ illustrates how at the lower doses, the tapers become even smaller, and one factor in why that is best

Although you have only been on the paroxetine for a short time, it's been long enough to risk getting WD.  Generally only a month of usage can cause a physiological dependency, and then if withdrawn too fast, you too might suffer WD.  Sometimes it comes on quickly, other times it can be delayed and then what?  Protracted WD is no fun.  Why not just HOLD, and then slow the heck down when you do taper.  I just can't emphasize this enough.  That is great that so far, so good for you.  And.....you don't have a long history of these kind of medications/drugs......and you are young.  All good.  Still......proceed with caution.  HOLD means just stay where you are at for awhile with your drug and dose.  That's okay.  What's your rush?

Can you HOLD for 4 weeks now since that last taper you did?  And then, if no symptoms occur, you can taper again.  Only do it by 10% or less of your present dosage.  That's a plan.

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS

Do withdrawal symptoms always show up right away?;Delayed onset.

Yes, do.....by all means share information with your doctor.  We are.....all about......harm reduction........ in reducing medications like yours.

Keep us updated.

I am well enough, thank you for asking.  Healing as always.  Well.

Best for your youth, and all the challenges that can bring, as well as your coming into your own.  Very cool.  I wish I could go back in time sometimes.  Just sometimes......life is good, all it's challenges, and so much to be grateful for.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 months later...

Hello, I hope everyone here is doing well. 

So, I after my last post I have reduced my dose to 3.125mg and I might be having minor withdrawal symptoms.

Since it's been like 2-3 days after my reduction I wanna know how to proceed from here. 

Thanks for your help. 

Hello, 

I want to ask about some withdrawl symptoms. 

I currently have pain in my chest and sometimes my left arm and it's not spread out but pin pointed. I have had many trips to emergency care due to panic attacks and they have conducted a lot of ECG's. My ECG were normal everytime. So I don't think it's like heart related but I am planning to get checked. 

I have minor headache that comes and goes. Doesn't bother me. 

The main problem I am facing is balance issue? 

Idk how to explain it but i feel like most of the time when I walk, I am going to lose my balance ( hasn't happened yet. I just feel like it). My body feels like it has lost some weight.  Its been happening for about 4 days now. 

And yeah I have acid reflux now and then which might explain my chest pain. (But yeah I will get checked) 

Hello, I still have not received any replies from you guys. I will wait for your reply.

In the meantime here is my current status, 

The headaches are getting a bit worse but they happen a lot less than before. 

The balance problem is also improving. 

The main concern for me rn is acid reflux and my left shoulder pain. I was not able to sleep at my usual time as I had this pain. 

Can reducing dosage cause pain in my shoulders? 

Or this isn't related to my ssri.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/22/2022 at 5:52 AM, Trialanderror2865 said:

I want to ask about some withdrawl symptoms. 

I currently have pain in my chest and sometimes my left arm and it's not spread out but pin pointed. I have had many trips to emergency care due to panic attacks and they have conducted a lot of ECG's. My ECG were normal everytime. So I don't think it's like heart related but I am planning to get checked. 

I have minor headache that comes and goes. Doesn't bother me. 

The main problem I am facing is balance issue? 

Idk how to explain it but i feel like most of the time when I walk, I am going to lose my balance ( hasn't happened yet. I just feel like it). My body feels like it has lost some weight.  Its been happening for about 4 days now. 

And yeah I have acid reflux now and then which might explain my chest pain. (But yeah I will get checked) 

On 12/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, Trialanderror2865 said:

Since it's been like 2-3 days after my reduction I wanna know how to proceed from here. 

Thanks for your help. 

Hi there Trialanderror2865,

Yes, you are into WD now.

As you are working with your doctor, and basically ignoring advice given here, regarding tapering.......

why aren't you asking your doctor these things?

You last reduced by 50% of your current dose, and that was after you were given all the information I could.  Did you not understand the 10% or less taper of each previous dose with a good month HOLD after concept.  Or just decide you would do it your way?

And then if things go awry.......go try more drugs with your doctor??

I mean....I don't know about you, but why would I continue to give you information, that you can find yourself here anyway.......as I know you are going to do whatever you want anyway.......?

You can check for symptoms in the Glenmullen symptoms list, already given.

And to read about your current symptoms, and see that yes, other members have dealt with the same.

All you need to do is go to Symptoms and Self Care

Look up once there on the page, upper right is a search box, type in your symptom and voila, or you will find your symptoms, and possibly some pointers on managing them without drugs too.

If panic was something you experienced before Paxil.....then that is definitely something you should be getting after with non-drug coping now.  Learning how to calm yourself, learning practices to do that.

Health anxiety, hypochondria and obsession with symptoms

and I am certainly not making light of this either, or I do not want you to feel bad......it's so common, and emotions seem enhanced in WD too.

See:  Neuroemotions

All from me.  Good luck.  Keep us updated.

There is one thing I'll add today:

Best done as soon as WD symptoms appear:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

you could go back up to the 6.25 mg dosage of Paroxetine that you came in on, as.....it's only been a week since that reduction.  And then stabilize a bit more or HOLD steady prior to beginning a harm reduction taper as described in the Why Taper by 10% topic.  I might even HOLD for a couple of months if it was me, knowing and seeing what I've learned and seen.

Alrighty, Happy Holidays......we are into them now in the States.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I am so sorry I did mention my drop in dosage correctly. Yeah I did not follow the 10% rule but I did not drop from 6.25mg to 3.125mg 

It was 25% drop from 6.25 and then again 25% and then I just just went with 1/4th of the pill. It was because I did not feel any withdrawals after dropping 25%. 

My doctors advice was to take 12.5 mg every alternative day. And then 12.5mg in every 3 days but I found this site and real about all the withdrawal symptoms so i went with 25%. 

I am really sorry that I didn't follow the 10%. 

After the 25% cut I did have erectile dysfunction and for 2 days but then it went away. That's why I went with another 25% but I didn't have any issue after the 2nd 25%. 

I know I did a mistake and I am so sorry. 

And about going back to my previous dosage is it still necessary or should I hold at 3.125mg for longer and then when I feel completely fine, I will drop 10% from it? 

I completely understand that you were trying to help me and I messed it up. I just wanted to get off of this asap so I did this. 

I am so sorry. 

Hello, @manymoretodays

I am holding on to the 3.125 mg for atleast 6 weeks now. 

Today I didn't feel balance problem. The balance problem keep getting better as the days pass. 

But my arm and chest pain has returned 

Yesterday, at night around 2 hours after taking the dose I had one my worst panic attack(I am not sure it it was a panic attack but i had racing heart beat for around 1 minutes.) 

The worst part of that was I felt my jaw was tightening which is a sign of heart attack. I am not sure if it's actually withdrawal or just me over thinking about my heart health because when I went to sleep I had my left arm hurting and I started thinking  about it a lot. 

And yeah I just had to burp and I felt much better. 

Can gas in stomach cause this? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oooh Trialanderror2865,

I am sorry I was a little tough with you.  All for good reason though.

I can get that since your total time on Paroxetine and then also these type of drugs hasn't been that long..........that you would be anxious to get off the Paroxetine more quickly.  My concern though is that too quick of a taper, and you may well just wind up back on another SSRI, or even another class of drug later.

So I am like.......what is your rush to be off Paroxetine?  Why a 50% drop......or 25% and then 25% again in a short time frame?

Oh.....and you are just a young man now too.  And so........my hope........I mean really my hope for you........would be that if we/you do this all slowly and carefully, and with learning more(you)........you might never get led into the "drugging world" so to speak.......you'll learn how to manage without all the prescriptions thrown at you over and over again.  That would make me so very happy.  Not that that is your goal.  Not at all.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, Trialanderror2865 said:

After the 25% cut I did have erectile dysfunction and for 2 days but then it went away. That's why I went with another 25% but I didn't have any issue after the 2nd 25%. 

Are there dates and then doses for this ^?  That would really help make it clearer.  Put them in your signature.

10 hours ago, Trialanderror2865 said:

I am holding on to the 3.125 mg for atleast 6 weeks now. 

Yay, I might even hold for longer, I mention that below again.

And then what?  I mean I was wondering if. you. might. benefit. from. a. small. updose.

I don't know what your last dose was or when?  That hasn't been real clear.

I don't think it was 6.25 mg......but that is what your signature shows.

So, get clear in your signature.  Dates.  Drug name.  Doses.

Here's what we have and it is worth a look at by you, and some thought.......on reinstating(or updosing) and stabilizing:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce WD symptoms

And then it occurs to me, that maybe you've made some huge tapers because you might think that cutting your pill/tablet is the only way to make reductions??  So here is the topic on tapering paroxetine again for you......to peruse, and possibly come up with a plan for getting doses outside of those commonly prescribed:

Tips for tapering off Paxil(paroxetine)

Sounds good really.......that you do have WD symptoms that come up and then they seem to go away again.  This is promising and good.

Windows and Waves.  Yay.

HOLD for 6 weeks.....hey, maybe hold for 3 months if you are doing well.  And in that time persue non-drug coping practices that you can use throughout your lifetime, when needed and also to stay in good shape for taking on life as it unfolds for you.

Did I ask about therapy and if you did that?  Or even I would think you might be able to find suitable counsel in maybe "life coaches" or some things outside of our somewhat currently messed up psychiatric system.

Again.....good to have a coach or support person or persons.  One can never have too many.  🙂 

And good to take initiative to find what you need now too.

I did point you towards symptoms and self care.  Read there when you can.

Look around too, in Introductions for some of the other youth.........youngers here.........and then go support them, and they'll do likewise would be my hope.  So you start to get a feel for some virtual support too.  It's all good.

10 hours ago, Trialanderror2865 said:

Yesterday, at night around 2 hours after taking the dose I had one my worst panic attack(I am not sure it it was a panic attack but i had racing heart beat for around 1 minutes.) 

The worst part of that was I felt my jaw was tightening which is a sign of heart attack. I am not sure if it's actually withdrawal or just me over thinking about my heart health because when I went to sleep I had my left arm hurting and I started thinking  about it a lot. 

And yeah I just had to burp and I felt much better. 

Can gas in stomach cause this? 

You are 18 years old now?  Did I get that right from your initial post?

If the burp resolved the issue than yes.

Heart health IS important.....you are right about that.

Could this be health anxiety??

Look at the links I gave already, and get around the site a bit too.

Withdrawal symptoms mimic heart attack?

Chest pain and stabbing pain in the heart

.....and a couple more links to topics to illustrate how often WD symptoms do look like cardiac/heart symptoms.

Good ones for help with panic, in the moment of:

There's a female voice version and a male voice version, choose whichever voice is most soothing for you

Female:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

male:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicM.mp3

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Acknowledge Accept Float

Music to Calm Anxiety

Breathing Technique for Anxiety

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help ...

Meditation

Emotional Spirals

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

And okay.  I couldn't sign off above.

So.....

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I have updated my signature. The dates are exact as I write a journal for myself. 

This drug is just one part of the problem I am facing. As I go off of this, I know I will have health anxiety so that's the problem I actually need to solve right now. 

And I am still confused about the 10% part. If I actually follow it all the upto 0.5mg(which is still more than the last dose suggested by this site) It's going to take around 18 months. 

I took the drug at 12.5mg for 2 months and it's gonna take a total of 21 months from first taper to get off of this drug. 

Can I at least try 15% drop? 

Or do you really want me to go by 10%? 😅. I have read horrible wd stories but I still want to take the risk if you think it might be okay for me. 

Thanks for your help

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865 I have read your thread with interest. I just wanted to weigh in on what @manymoretodays has said. We don't recommend dropping more than 10% of the previous dose, per month.  We say this because many of us have tried to do more and have gotten withdrawal symptoms. Some of us have gotten very bad symptoms that have lasted for months and months. I am one of those people.  You seem to want to go a little faster. My suggestion would be to try 10% for your next drop and if you don't have any symptoms at all then the following time you can try a little more? Would you consider trying it this way, just this next time then you reassess after that 10% cut? This is not what they normally suggest on this site, they normally suggest a person go slower as they get into the lower numbers, but I do understand your feelings. I know this is hard stuff and on top of having social anxiety you don't need any other problems. I wish you good luck.

Edited by RachelSusan
typo

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Thanks for your input. 

I guess I will just try to stabilise right now and then I will drop 10% a few times and observe my symptoms. 

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865That sounds like a really good plan. I am impressed.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Mentor
13 hours ago, Trialanderror2865 said:

It's going to take around 18 months. 

I took the drug at 12.5mg for 2 months and it's gonna take a total of 21 months from first taper to get off of this drug. 

Can I at least try 15% drop? 

Or do you really want me to go by 10%? 😅. I have read horrible wd stories but I still want to take the risk if you think it might be okay for me. 

UPDATE: I just saw your most recent post!! nevermind all this, or maybe save it for the next time you want to speed things up...?  ;)

and GOOD FOR YOU FOR DECIDING TO SAVE YOURSELF FROM UNNECESSARY SUFFERING!
VERY PROUD OF YOU!
:) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi there @Trialanderror2865

Thinking about how long it takes- 18 mos seems so long especially when you are younger, BUT think of it this way:

You can go slow and have no symptoms or almost none, and live your life as you normally would, with the minor aggravation of taking a smaller and smaller dose of the drug each day- how hard is that really? takes a few minutes out of your day, done and over with, then go about your business

OR

you can go faster as you wan to do, even though you KNOW it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE RISK (you already saw what happens when you speed up your taper!!! do you think it's going to get better as you go even faster? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO It WILL GET WORSE!!)

and then those same 18 mos are still going to pass, BUT instead of the minor aggravation of taking a tiny dose of a drug each day

YOU ALMOST SURELY WILL BE FEELING HORRIBLE  most of the time, even worse than what you just experienced

AND the taper off the drug will probably take longer 

OR if you get impatient and cold turkey, you can be suffering for much longer than 18 mos- several YEARS in fact. 

is that what you want???

think long and hard about it, ok?

this is coming from someone who is well into their 6th decade of life and can totally relate to your impatience

I truly get it

I thought I would be that "special case" who could go faster and be fine

NOPE

I was not special

I went too fast and I suffered for a LONG LONG LONG Time, much longer than 18 mos.

IF I had been smart like the folks here who went slow I could saved myself A LOT OF PAIN AND SUFFERING

remember that the decision you make now is only going to affect YOU.

once you do these things, no one and nothing can swoop in and save you. 

You don't want to have (more) regrets. 

Keep going at a pace that is too fast and you will more likely than not REALLY REGRET IT   :(  :( :( 

You will still eventually recover, but you will suffer - and maybe for 3 times longer than 18 mos- no one can know

and for what?

you seem like a very nice and intelligent man

we don't want you to suffer

ok?

please try harder to go slow!! please!

;)

Edited by Happy2Heal

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yay!

On 12/28/2022 at 7:50 AM, Trialanderror2865 said:

Thanks for your input. 

I guess I will just try to stabilise right now and then I will drop 10% a few times and observe my symptoms. 

Good plan.  Try and do a month between tapers too.  And then if all is going well.......maybe you could do a taper sooner, rather than wait the full month or 4 weeks.  But......let's not jump ahead.  Not yet.

Good, good.

And keep us updated, okay?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hey, 

I might have a good news. 

I haven't felt the loss of balance thingy as much as before for around  3 days now. 

Headaches also have reduced. 

But now I have sore throat(probably due to all those acid reflux I had) and common cold. 

I will definitely keep you guys updated. 

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865 I am very pleased to read about you having some improvement.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Hey @Happy2Heal @manymoretodays @RachelSusanI had another panic attack. 

This was worse than before. 

It happened when I was bathing. I felt like i was unable to breathe. I felt like my body will not be able to move. Then I had rapid heart beats which lasted for 2 minutes. If I try to concentrate at a particular point for sometime and then move my head, I will feel tightness in my head. 

After my rapid heart beats calmed I was still feeling like I am not able to move my legs properly. 

I am still able to study and Conentrate while studying. 

Is it actually panic attack? 

I have had many panic attacks in the past but they didn't make me feel so bad. 

I was able to breathe slowly and calm myself down. 

I was literally thinking that I am going to die or faint when I was having that panic attack.

I also can't fall asleep as fast as I did before but my sleep is always of 6-6.5 hours continuous. No waking up in between. 

Is this how Insomnia works? 

Is it common in wd? 

Is it even wd? 

I am so afraid right now. 

I am planning to meet a cardiologist. 

Please suggest me something.

I forgot to add that I had cold for the past 3 days and my nose is still congested and my phelgm is greenish in colour. 

Could it be some infection that made my wd worse? 

If this is how my wd is gonna be I am not sure if I want to taper my med any further rn. I am not yet independent. And i also don't live in a medically developed locality. I have to do  2 hour travel to get to a good hospital. 

I fear that if I have heart attack or some critical condition then I am certainly dead. 

And my fingers were all cold after I had panic attack. Could it be poor blood circulation? 

Ok i just realised feeling like i am gonna faint is also a symptom of panic attack. 

I never had that kind of feeling during panic attack. All of my previous ones were like shortness of breath, rapid heart beats. 

But still, I have decided to make my mind clear before I just start floating with these symptoms. I definitely wanna visit a cardiologist so that I at least stop thinking that i am going to have a heart attack or i am going to faint. 

I also feel like as much as wd is causing these symptoms. It's my old anxiety that's coming back. I really need to do something about it. I still can't handle anxiety as it should be done. 

I am going to write a journal here. That might help me to remember my symptoms. 

I was on the verge of another panic attack today when I went to take a shower. 

I somehow distracted myself and avoided it. I feel like I can learn to take the best course of action during these scenarios. 

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865 Yes, having an infection can make your withdrawal symptoms worse. You don't have to make any decisions about tapering right now.  In fact I seemed to recall that you were going to wait at least a month before you even think about it.

You could very well be right, your old anxiety might be coming back to visit you. Glad you are learning to distract yourself. Panic attacks can be truly awful.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Nope, I am not thinking to taper anything right now. 

Can  such small dosage even help to calm my anxiety?or it is doing the opposite? 

I am planning to stay on this for a long time now. Not thinking to increase dosage though. 

I thought I was ready to tackle my anxiety but it seems like I am not prepared yet. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I'm in agreement with RachelSusan completely.

I'd opt to HOLD steady and then re-evaluate in another week to 2 weeks.  Give this illness it's time.

And then......we could look at if a teeny updose might help.

Likely it's the illness throwing you now.

And good job.  Getting after the anxiety and panic in new ways or finding new methods of non-drug coping, and then learning to get to more relaxation.

Happy New Year from the States. 

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Its been a month since my last taper. I am currently facing a new symptom? and I have no clue how to go through this. 

I am having a lot of balance issue now. If I try to stand still, I feel like the ground is moving. 

I am currently very optimistic about it. I don't have much psychological issue. 

My sleep isn't 10/10 but it's certainty more than 7/10. I don't walk much right now as I am afraid I might fall and hurt myself and create more problems. 

I had a TEE examination and it was the worst. The doctor was too aggressive with the tee probe. I was only on surface anesthesia. I was awake during the procedure and it was the worst experience of my life. I hate that piece of ****. There was nothing wrong with my heart but my chest still hurts. It freaks me out but I ignore it as much as I can. 

Any advice for me for now. 

How to deal with this balance problem?

Oh yeah I also have head pressure at random moments throughout the day. 

Oh yeah when I wake up in the morning I feel good. No balance problem but as I keep moving in my house throughout the dayit becomes dominant. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, @manymoretodays@RachelSusan

I am having chest/arm pains and *I* feel like my hands get slightly blueish. I have had echo/Tee test for my heart and the doctor didn't find any anomalies. I still feel scared when I get these chest pains. 

I have headaches(short intervals) and the balance issue but it has reduced significantly. I don't even know if I am actually having wd Or there is sone other heath condition. I tried to drop by 10% and went on with it for 2 days but i felt like I am still not ready so i went back to my usual dosage. I sometimes feel like my upper jaw is being pushed. 

What should I do?

did you guys have pains? 

how did you deal with it?

Every doctor I visit just points out that I am stressed and it's anxiety causing these symptoms. They aren't helpful at all. 

If I don't drop any further will I fully stabilize at this current dose. Like all symptoms go away?

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865 Hello.  I don't know if all your symptoms will go away. It depends on what causes them. I think it is a great idea that your doctor preformed a heart test on you, just to make sure you don't have any other problems.

I do understand you changing your mind about making a cut, however it is very hard on your body when you do that.  I don't know enough about you to make suggestions so I will tell you what I would do if it were me, but remember it is based on my history. I would wait until the symptoms either went away completely or were way down, almost nothing, and then I would wait another month after that, and only then I would try a tiny cut, somewhere between 3% and 5%  just to see how I do. If I had no reaction I would continue on to another tiny cut a month later. If I had a small reaction I would again wait until the symptoms went away before I would do another cut.

I am very sorry you are going through this. I hope you feel better with time.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

• 1 month later...

Hey @RachelSusan@manymoretodaysI wanted to know if I can change my tablets to a non CR version.

My nearest pharmacy which sold my tablets has been shut down and i have to very far to get the CR version. A 10mg non cr brand is available in another pharmacy near me. Should I switch to those or I should stick with these only? Will switching cause any problem? 

• Mentor

@Trialanderror2865 I am not a moderator so this question is above station. You did tag @manymoretodays who is a moderator so you probably will get an answer very soon.

How are you feeling these days?  How is your balance, any better?

Warm wishes.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER