gnomenclature: tapering Cymbalta, later Latuda and buspirone

gnomenclature

Hi 👋🏼 

I am just starting out on my journey to taper off antidepressants. I’ve been on cymbalta for about four years. I started it as a migraine prevention at 60mg. Over the last few months I’ve been up to 120 for depression. Now the side effects are too much for me, particularly the insomnia, and I’m realizing I have other side effects, too. 
In the last year I went down from 120 to 90 with no problem. My psychiatrist is suggesting doing the same now. I’m reading that 10% is the recommended amount to taper per month, but this is more than that. Should I be more conservative or or go with it since it worked ok for me before?

2017 cymbalta 60mg, august 2022 120mg, November 2022 down to 90mg. current
2019 Latuda 40mg  to present

2021 busprione 15mg to present

• ChessieCat changed the title to gnomenclature: tapering Cymbalta, later Latuda and buspirone
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there gomenclature and welcome aboard,

Thank you for doing your signature.

Just go ahead and edit in- to present or current after each of them,  Easy Access back to signature is here: AccountsSettings/signature/edit/update:

2017 cymbalta 60mg, august 2022 120mg, November 2022 down to 90mg. current
2019 Latuda 40mg  to present

2021 busprione 15mg to present

I think that would make it clearer.  Can you add to your cymbalta line, just when you last went to 90 mg, and then when you went back up to 120 mg as well?

By the way, have you ever been a member here before?  I don't know why but your name seems familiar or something.

We go with a harm reduction model of tapering. The 10% or less taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
******Why taper by 10% of my dosage? (just click on the underlined link to get to the underlined passages/or topics, then start with the first post in topic)
Important ^

So I would say it would be much safer to do your first reductions from 120 mg of Cymbalta, by less than the 25% that you are doing.  It may have worked in the past......or did it?  Why did you wind up going back to 120 mg then if that, the decrease, worked so well?  I don't follow.
Is there a reason the doctor wants to decrease your Cymbalta quickly now?  Like serious adverse reactions or side effects?
On 11/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, gnomenclature said:

I am just starting out on my journey to taper off antidepressants. I’ve been on cymbalta for about four years. I started it as a migraine prevention at 60mg. Over the last few months I’ve been up to 120 for depression. Now the side effects are too much for me, particularly the insomnia, and I’m realizing I have other side effects, too. 

Are the above side effects of Cymbalta, or could they be lingering WD(withdrawal) symptoms from your last reduction and then updose back to 120 mg?

I sure wonder.  Insomnia is a very common WD symptom.  Other WD symptoms you may see here:

Dr. Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptom checklist

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta(duloxetine)

You are on a "cocktail" now of powerful psychiatric drugs.  This all started with a migraine.  I am so sorry.

Are you hopeful about some day becoming drug free, and tapering off your medications/drugs, completely or to lowest dosage?  That's what our site is about, tapering really, and support for that and WD.  And we are staffed by lay people really, who have been through tapering and WD, or are currently in the process of that.  We are not doctors, just peers.

And when on multiple psychiatric drugs, then a reasonable plan should be made, as far as which drug to taper first.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?
If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant.  Then again, AP's or antipsychotics, like Latuda can be fairly hard on the body as a whole, with some awful side effects.  So this is worth looking at and getting our input on too.

Preparing to taper

I will give you the links to tapering on Latuda now, and Buspar too, in hopes that you would like to learn more about your drugs, and might be considering tapering either of them some day.

Tips for tapering Latuda(lurasidone)

Tips for tapering Buspar(buspirone).

Also please use Drugs.com to learn about your drugs.  And I would like you to put your current drugs into the interaction checker there today, and then please share those with us here.  Copy and paste, or share the link with the results of that.  Thank you.

Drugs.com

Okay,  more about getting off of drugs/medications, and WD:

hopefully the PDF is up above with the list for you now

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Okay, and welcome again.  Oh I sure hope you will stay, beyond just making changes to your Cymbalta, and/or perhaps begin to see that your drugs may have been causing you more problems that your initial migraine did.  In themselves.....or in the various combinations given, or in the misguided de-prescribing done.

This is your Introduction topic.  One to a member.  Post here please with questions regarding your case.  You've introduced yourself to the community here.  And can communicate with us here as well as keep a record, or journal of your journey from here on out.

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
corrections, grammar, clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing