SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ bambam: is this withdrawal?

bambam

Hi everyone. I used to have mild driving anxiety or be a little anxious when out at stores. I went to my pcp and they have a behavioral Health side to it. The NP I saw there swore I am bipolar because I am irritable and have mood swings. I told her I’m irritable because I haven’t slept through the night since my son was born in March 2021 and he still nurses all night. She swore I was bipolar and put me on lamictal 25mg to go up by 25 every two weeks. When I got to 75mg I started having worse anxiety and panic attacks. I went down to 50mg and the panic stopped.  I went back to her and she said the anxiety was because I was bipolar and I needed to go back to 75. I did and the same thing happened this time when I went down to 50mg I was still having anxiety and panic. I went to another psychiatric Np and he had me wean the lamictal and start buspirone. After weaning the lamictal I felt much better. I started the buspirone while weaning off lamictal. The first week of buspirone I noticed some heavy brain fog and derealization. I would look in the mirror and not recognize myself. The second week of buspirone threw me into panic attacks and anxiety worse than anything I’ve experienced. I had tremors and vomiting. The NP said to stop cold Turkey so I did. Two days later I was extremely anxious and shaking and sick. This lasted two days. I have been off buspirone for 8 weeks and I am having bouts of severe anxiety. I am still having brain fog and derealization and I feel like I’m losing my mind.  I am woken up out of my sleep with a racing heart. I know I am sleep deprived because my son does not sleep but I experience panic at bed time. When the panic gets too bad I will take an ativan but I know this isn’t a long term solution.  Could these drugs have caused this? Thank you for your help. I just want to feel normal again.  I have taken the ativan four times this week. I’m not sure if I am experiencing a wave or if I should be ok by now.
Around October 20 the anxiety kicked up pretty bad for 4-5 days then settled down. The derealization and brain fog is always present. On Tuesday the anxiety picked back up again and is still going today. I am terrified I will never feel normal again and will miss out on my kids lives. I can’t rely on ativan. My new psych NP just gives me more ativan and tells me he doesn’t know why I don’t feel better yet.

Lamictal July 6-September 2 started at 25mg and increased 25 mg every two weeks
Buspirone august 29- September 14 7.5mg at night 

Ativan 0.5mg as needed 

Lamictal July 6,2022 -September 2, 2022 started at 25mg and increased 25 mg every two weeks
Buspirone august 29, 2022- September 14 2022

0.5mg Ativan October 22- 2022, November 5, 8, 10, 12-2022, January 12. Feb 4,6,25,27-2023, March 1, 21, 24, 26,27, 28, 29 -202

• ChessieCat changed the title to Atnyxoxo: is this withdrawal?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Atnyxoxo

On 11/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, Atnyxoxo said:

I have been off buspirone for 8 weeks and I am having bouts of severe anxiety. I am still having brain fog and derealization and I feel like I’m losing my mind.  I am woken up out of my sleep with a racing heart.

It appears you had an adverse reaction to lamotrigine and then buspirone. You weren't on buspirone long enough to be at risk of withdrawal from it.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, Atnyxoxo said:

After weaning the lamictal I felt much better. I started the buspirone while weaning off lamictal.

This overlap suggests withdrawal from lamotrigine developed while you were taking buspirone.

How have your symptoms changed in the last 2 weeks?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Atnyxoxo

It appears you had an adverse reaction to lamotrigine and then buspirone. You weren't on buspirone long enough to be at risk of withdrawal from it.

This overlap suggests withdrawal from lamotrigine developed while you were taking buspirone.

How have your symptoms changed in the last 2 weeks?

The last week and a half I felt ok. Almost back to normal but then two days ago it seems the anxiety and derealization are back. Maybe just a wave? It seems this wave came faster than the last two. The other ones were at least 2-3 weeks apart. Not sure what’s going on but trying to stay positive that it will pass. 

Lamictal July 6,2022 -September 2, 2022 started at 25mg and increased 25 mg every two weeks

0.5mg Ativan October 22- 2022, November 5, 8, 10, 12-2022, January 12. Feb 4,6,25,27-2023, March 1, 21, 24, 26,27, 28, 29 -202

• Administrator

Yes, withdrawal symptoms come in waves. This can last for many months. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, withdrawal symptoms come in waves. This can last for many months. Please let us know how you're doing.

Do the waves ever stabilize? Or is it a chronic issue of windows and waves I’ll have to deal with forever? I took lamictal for 8 weeks then went right into buspirone but it has been 10 weeks since I stopped all medication. I am scared I will never feel normal again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Atnyxoxo said:

Does kindling only apply to benzos and alcohol? Could lamictal cause kindling? 

@AtnyxoxoI saw this post over on the Kindling thread and just wanted to check in with you here on your intro thread, since periodic benzo use can cause kindling, especially if your nervous system is already destabilized from other drug withdrawals. 

Have you stopped the "Ativan as needed" (listed in your signature)? When was the last time you took it? 

5 hours ago, Shep said:

@AtnyxoxoI saw this post over on the Kindling thread and just wanted to check in with you here on your intro thread, since periodic benzo use can cause kindling, especially if your nervous system is already destabilized from other drug withdrawals. 

Have you stopped the "Ativan as needed" (listed in your signature)? When was the last time you took it? 

Hi, yes I have stopped the ativan. I haven’t taken it since November 12. I was asking because I took lamictal in 2016 for a few months and stopped it cold Turkey when I got pregnant with my daughter. I started it again in 2019 and stopped in 2020 when I got pregnant with my son so I was wondering if that’s why I got an adverse reaction to it when I took it this go around. 

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Atnyxoxo said:

Hi, yes I have stopped the ativan. I haven’t taken it since November 12. I was asking because I took lamictal in 2016 for a few months and stopped it cold Turkey when I got pregnant with my daughter. I started it again in 2019 and stopped in 2020 when I got pregnant with my son so I was wondering if that’s why I got an adverse reaction to it when I took it this go around. 

Yes, that could very well be. Your nervous system has been destabilized, which can lead to very unpredictable results when taking drugs, supplements, OTC medications, etc. Please see this post written by Altostrata, the founder of this website: 

On 5/24/2011 at 10:59 PM, Altostrata said:

My guess is: The first phase of withdrawal, the acute phase, is the initial shock of withdrawal at the target receptors, with the most defined symptoms, such as brain zaps and nausea and possibly waves of unusually intense "depression" and "anxiety" -- actually, emotions generated by the neurological upset. Later, hyper-reactivity and autonomic instability take over. Often the autonomic instability causes wide hypersensitivity to drugs, supplements, and even foods.

Over time, your nervous system will heal, but it can take a lot longer than we'd like. Please see:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We can speed up healing by eating very clean, avoiding processed foods, sugar, high glycemic carbs, and definitely avoid alcohol until you're completely recovered. The more you can do to nurture your nervous system, the better. 

It does get better. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, Shep said:

Yes, that could very well be. Your nervous system has been destabilized, which can lead to very unpredictable results when taking drugs, supplements, OTC medications, etc. Please see this post written by Altostrata, the founder of this website: 

Over time, your nervous system will heal, but it can take a lot longer than we'd like. Please see:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We can speed up healing by eating very clean, avoiding processed foods, sugar, high glycemic carbs, and definitely avoid alcohol until you're completely recovered. The more you can do to nurture your nervous system, the better. 

It does get better. 

Hi Shep.

I hadn’t experienced much anxiety since the beginning of December then yesterday I was hit with such anxiety I almost had a panic attack. Is this normal waves and windows pattern? Though I wasn’t experiencing much anxiety I was still experiencing derealization, brain fog, and dissociation. The anxiety hit yesterday like a train. I thought I was healed from the anxiety until yesterday. I never experienced panic or symptoms like this before starting the lamictal last July. 

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Atnyxoxo said:

Hi Shep.

I hadn’t experienced much anxiety since the beginning of December then yesterday I was hit with such anxiety I almost had a panic attack. Is this normal waves and windows pattern? Though I wasn’t experiencing much anxiety I was still experiencing derealization, brain fog, and dissociation. The anxiety hit yesterday like a train. I thought I was healed from the anxiety until yesterday. I never experienced panic or symptoms like this before starting the lamictal last July. 

Please update your signature with when you started and stopped your drugs and let us know any that you're currently still taking. Please see the first post in this thread for what we need: 

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

Are you still on Lamictal? You mentioned being off Ativan earlier in your thread, but have you used any, even periodically, recently? 

3 hours ago, Shep said:

Please update your signature with when you started and stopped your drugs and let us know any that you're currently still taking. Please see the first post in this thread for what we need: 

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

Are you still on Lamictal? You mentioned being off Ativan earlier in your thread, but have you used any, even periodically, recently? 

My drug signature is correct. I am off all medications. I took an ativan Thursday but hadn’t taken one since November 12. I stopped lamictal September 2 and stopped buspirone September 14.

• Administrator

Please update your signature with the dates you went off each drug.

How did you go off Lamictal?

Was there a period when you were taking Ativan every day? 

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Please update your signature with the dates you went off each drug.

How did you go off Lamictal?

Was there a period when you were taking Ativan every day? 

My psych had me wean from 50 to 25 for four days then 25 to zero for four days. No. I’ve never taken ativan everyday. The only time I took it frequently was in November I took it four times in one week a few days apart each time then did not take it at all for two months.

• Administrator

How did you feel while you were reducing Lamictal? Did you experience any unusual symptoms in October or November?

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How did you feel while you were reducing Lamictal? Did you experience any unusual symptoms in October or November?

When I reduced lamictal I felt fine. The lamictal seemed to make me more anxious. The anxiety died down until week two of buspirone when it kicked up along with dissociation, derealization and brain fog. In October and November I was still experiencing brain fog and derealization but the severe anxiety came in waves. I was mostly anxiety free throughout December but Thursday I got hit with severe anxiety and ended up taking an ativan. 

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I cold turkeyed the buspirone September 14.

37 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

After reading a ton on this site I have learned that healing is an extremely slow process and I will probably take longer to get back to normal. I thought I should be healed by now but I see it can take the brain a long time.

• Administrator

Please clarify -- you went off lamotrigine September 2, but you had started buspirone only a few days before. You must have felt "fine" for only a few days, perhaps from September 3-5.

It appears that the symptoms you attribute to buspirone, which started a few days after you went off lamotrigine, coincided with the second week of buspirone but probably were withdrawal symptoms from lamotrigine.

My guess is that you have lamotrigine withdrawal syndrome. Your doctor's tapering advice was too fast.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please clarify -- you went off lamotrigine September 2, but you had started buspirone only a few days before. You must have felt "fine" for only a few days, perhaps from September 3-5.

It appears that the symptoms you attribute to buspirone, which started a few days after you went off lamotrigine, coincided with the second week of buspirone but probably were withdrawal symptoms from lamotrigine.

My guess is that you have lamotrigine withdrawal syndrome. Your doctor's tapering advice was too fast.

I started the buspirone August 29 so I felt ok for about two weeks, yes. What you are saying makes sense. Thank you. Am I likely still experiencing waves and windows?

• Administrator

Yes, it's the typical pattern of psychotropic withdrawal syndrome.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Is dissociation a symptom of lamictal withdrawal? I know derealization is. Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, lamictal can cause this. Most psych drugs can make you feel disconnected and dissociated from the world around you, not only as a side effect, but also as a withdrawal effect. 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

Thank you. Will that get better with time as well? Most of my day doesn’t feel real and I am worried my brain will check out of reality completely. 8 weeks of lamictal could cause 4+ months of symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it does get better with time - a LOT better.

But unfortunately, it can take a long time to reach the healing space. This thread may help:

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

Don't forget to check out the non-drug coping skills section. You can find a lot of helpful techniques and distractions to get you through:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Mindfulness can be very helpful for disassociation, @Atnyxoxo. Try concentrating on what you see, hear, feel, taste, smell. Concentrating on your breath to stay grounded in space and time. You may want to check out Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn's videos on YouTube, like this one:

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn video (4 minutes)

I’m not entirely sure if this feeling is dissociation since it is very hard to describe but my brain does struggle to stay present in the day and everything feels like a dream or feels fake. I am still

able to Function but it is quite distressing this odd sensation I get in my brain. Thank you for your replies.

17 hours ago, Shep said:

Thank you. The dissociation is so bad I am losing hope that I will ever heal from this 

• Moderator Emeritus

@AtnyxoxoI'm linking to a post over in my success story thread about how learning to draw really helped my dp/dr:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22891-sheps-success-leaving-platos-cave/page/7/#comment-594012

If you're interested, it's not only a great way to connect with what's around you, it's a very relaxing distraction. 

You can find tons of free videos on YouTube for beginners. I've done countless perspective drawing tutorials, which helped a lot with the derealization. 

No need to lose hope. 

25 minutes ago, Shep said:

@AtnyxoxoI'm linking to a post over in my success story thread about how learning to draw really helped my dp/dr:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22891-sheps-success-leaving-platos-cave/page/7/#comment-594012

If you're interested, it's not only a great way to connect with what's around you, it's a very relaxing distraction. 

You can find tons of free videos on YouTube for beginners. I've done countless perspective drawing tutorials, which helped a lot with the derealization. 

No need to lose hope. 

Thank you. How much magnesium is helpful. I am finding different kinds online 

• Mentor

@Atnyxoxo  I think you will be okay....I know how scary and disheartening this can be...If you can hold out and learn to ride the waves you will come out on the other side...Learn what copying skill work for you...Have several, so if one doesn't work that day a different one may.   Try not let fear be your guide, you are stronger then you think...

I use Magnesium glycinate and take it throught out the day up to 300-400mg.   I also found that lavender essential oil.... I use Eden  Garden Bulgarian lavender essential oii from amazon) any way I rub a dab or 2 on my wrist (straight oil) and it seem to bring the anxiety down. 

This whole experience may  also help you  grow in self care that will aid you for the rest of your life. 

Reach out, we are here for you🌞

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

32 minutes ago, Greatful said:

@Atnyxoxo  I think you will be okay....I know how scary and disheartening this can be...If you can hold out and learn to ride the waves you will come out on the other side...Learn what copying skill work for you...Have several, so if one doesn't work that day a different one may.   Try not let fear be your guide, you are stronger then you think...

I use Magnesium glycinate and take it throught out the day up to 300-400mg.   I also found that lavender essential oil.... I use Eden  Garden Bulgarian lavender essential oii from amazon) any way I rub a dab or 2 on my wrist (straight oil) and it seem to bring the anxiety down. 

This whole experience may  also help you  grow in self care that will aid you for the rest of your life. 

Reach out, we are here for you🌞

Thank you so much for your encouragement it means a lot. I worry it’s not withdrawal and it’s permanent but I never had any of this issues until starting lamictal. I will try to find some better coping skills it’s hard when I feel so disconnected all the time. I will look into magnesium also. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a dumb questions but can the calming effects of magnesium cause tolerance or dependency? 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Atnyxoxo said:

This might be a dumb questions but can the calming effects of magnesium cause tolerance or dependency? 

I don't think it can, but we don't recommend making large, abrupt changes to any drug or supplement that you've been on a long time. If you want to come off magnesium, you may wish to reduce by no more than 25% at a time to see how you do with a lower dose. 

Even if a supplement can't cause dependency, it's possible that removing it suddenly may undo the good it's doing and rattle your nervous system. Also, please note you can take too much magnesium, so take care with your dose. For more, see: 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata @Shep

do either of you have any residual withdrawal symptoms or did they all go away overtime completely?

I’m still having constant dissociation depersonalization and derealization which causes panic. I tried magnesium citrate and glycinate and no change. Is this normal for lamictal withdrawal? I wonder if I have something else going on but never had these issues before taking the lamictal. I am losing hope that I will ever get my life back and it scares me.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Atnyxoxo You came off a cocktail of drugs that can cause depersonalization and derealization (DP/DR). It's not uncommon at all. 

Your signature says 0.5 mg Ativan as needed but you mentioned that you had stopped it earlier in your thread. Please add this information in your signature so it's clear that you're off all these drugs (please include the Ativan stop date).

Mindfulness can be helpful for DP/DR. You can find information on that, along with other non-drug coping techniques here:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

On 2/25/2023 at 12:20 PM, Atnyxoxo said:

@Altostrata @Shep

do either of you have any residual withdrawal symptoms or did they all go away overtime completely?

My success story is in my signature. DP/DR was my main symptom and is slowly resolving over time, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was the first few years off these neurotoxins.