SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sloanwoof: inability to successfully taper Lexapro

Sloanwoof

Hi Everybody, it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here. A few years ago after a 6 month taper of Lexapro I went into a severe progressive ‘discontinuation syndrome’ which was destroying my life so I had to go back on the full 20mg. Over a few years using liquid I managed to taper to 10mg. Then something happened. I went to 9mg and the whole nightmare started again. I had to go up to 15mg to level out somewhat. I’m now taking 5mg 3x a day. If I miss one dose by more than a couple of hours the meltdown ensues. I have worked so hard to get clean from drugs, alcohol and cigarettes & can’t stand this crappy ‘medication’ basically controlling my life. I am not depressed. In fact I’m prettt sure the only reason I tend to panic attacks & am quick to anger is because of the Lexapro. Exactly 25 minutes after I take it I can go from perfectly happy to having spinning thoughts.  I know there are really no answers but I figured I’d just put myself out here to ask if anyone has any new tips. I feel like my body has become so hyper sensitized to this drug that I’m stuck in this loop for the rest of my life. Thanks for listening. S

2023: Currently on 15mg of Lexapro split into 5mg 3x a day.

Gabapentin 300mg & 10mg Amitriptyline for 'chronic pain' post long COVID. Lunesta 3mg

2022: Lexpro @ 10mg. attempted taper to 9mg

withdrawal intollerable. Had to reinstate to 15mg. Taken once a day I was still going into withdrawal 

by 12th hour.  After consulting with a psych I split the 15mg into 3 5mg doses with the goal of lowering them each slowly.

Dilauded 12mg:  protracted withdrawal after spine surgery. Was on for 3 months.

2021: 20mg Lexapro taper using liquid 1/10 per month. Got to 10mg. 2020: 20mg Lexapro 

2019: 20mg Lexapro tapered over 6 months. One week after taper completed, withdrawal syndrome began. Increasing in intensity until I was nonfunctional. Instructed by Dr. to go back on Lexapro. Withdrawal did not stabilize until 20mg.

2018: Depakote 1200mg 1 month taper. Severe withdrawal for 2 weeks then was ok. Was on it over 20 years.

Serequel 100mg cessation. No withdrawal. Was on for 2 years. Gabapentin 1200mg cessation. Minor withdrawal. Was on for 2 years.

2016: 30mg Valium in hospital detox as well as detox from street drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sloanwoof: inability to successfully taper Lexapro
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Sloanwoof

On 11/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, Sloanwoof said:

I’m now taking 5mg 3x a day.

How did you come to take Lexapro 3 times a day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

After the failed taper from 10mg to 9mg, I tried to go back up to 10mg in the morning to stabilize. But I found I was going into protracted withdrawal by the evening, so I added 5mg at night. After a few months I felt like the 10mg in the morning was causing intense agitation and other side effects. So I split that into 5mg in the morning and 5mg in afternoon. 
Basically I am trying to keep myself at the lowest possible level without going into withdrawal. Because at a ‘therapeutic dose’ I am having both psych and physical issues. I’m trying to minimize the side effects (basically I am only having negative side effects, I don’t think it does anything positive for me) while also keeping myself from going back into a discontinuation loop. So I’m here asking for help. 

Gabapentin 300mg & 10mg Amitriptyline for 'chronic pain' post long COVID. Lunesta 3mg

withdrawal intollerable. Had to reinstate to 15mg. Taken once a day I was still going into withdrawal 

by 12th hour.  After consulting with a psych I split the 15mg into 3 5mg doses with the goal of lowering them each slowly.

2021: 20mg Lexapro taper using liquid 1/10 per month. Got to 10mg. 2020: 20mg Lexapro 

2019: 20mg Lexapro tapered over 6 months. One week after taper completed, withdrawal syndrome began. Increasing in intensity until I was nonfunctional. Instructed by Dr. to go back on Lexapro. Withdrawal did not stabilize until 20mg.

2018: Depakote 1200mg 1 month taper. Severe withdrawal for 2 weeks then was ok. Was on it over 20 years.

Serequel 100mg cessation. No withdrawal. Was on for 2 years. Gabapentin 1200mg cessation. Minor withdrawal. Was on for 2 years.

If it would help I can write out a longer case history. 

• Administrator

Did you have these problems when you were taking 20mg Lexapro?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was initially put on the 20mg of Lexapro 7 years ago in rehab when I was detoxing from benzos and illicit drugs. After a 2 years sober I felt I was not able to access the emotions I needed to heal. I was either numb or aggravated almost all the time but I felt this was not my true state. Since I had been in such a discombobulated state when put on Lexapro I wanted to see what I was like without meds. 
Lexapro was the last med I tapered. First I got rid of 100mg of Serequel very quickly with no withdrawals. Then I got rid of 1000mg of depakote I’d been on for like 20 years. I had a few weeks of bad withdrawal issues with that but it resolved quickly and I felt much better with the removal of each med. 

Then I did a 6 month Lexapro taper. After the final week at 5mg I stopped and felt great. The psych had told me this was a long taper and I would be fine.

About a week later I started to feel sick. My throat hurt, headache, muscle aches. My primary thought I had strep throat so he tested me and gave me antibiotics but I did not have strep. A few weeks later I was much sicker. Runny nose, swollen glands, terrible gastro etc. i couldn’t work. I was tested for flu, mono, and once those were negative a slew of rare diseases. I am HIV+, my primary is a noted researcher in that field, so he really ran me through every possible illness. Finally he could not figure it out. Nothing was ‘wrong’ with me.

When we did a social history of the time leading up to the ‘illness’ I told him I finished the Lexapro taper a week before it all started. 
He knew right away this was a discontinuation sickness and said I had to get back on Lexapro.

i went back on 15mg and still felt like I was dying and non functional so I went back on 20mg. I never felt ‘normal’ or ‘good’ or ‘level’ on the medication since then. It took months for me to get back to work. Finally I got to the point I was able to get through the day but I now had serious chronic pain issues, sleep issues, rage issues etc.

i knew it was the Lexapro exacerbating all of this. So through your site and the podcast I learned to get the liquid. I tapered 1mg a month-2months for about a year. Sometimes I had to go back up, sometimes I would stick it out. 
i stopped at 10mg for an extended period. I had to have spine surgery and I couldn’t deal with more withdrawal. Then about a year later I decided to start tapering again. I went to 9mg and a few days later all hell broke loose in my system. As if I was right back in the initial discontinuation. 
This was when I concocted this theory of 5mg 3x a day. Long answer but wanted to explain.

So no - I didn’t feel ‘ok’ on the initial 20mg but it was more psych issues. The reinstated 20mg after the first complete taper never felt stable and came with the physical issues. 

• Administrator

What other drugs are you taking? This is important: Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm sorry I did not reply. Long COVID took over my life  & I had to put thoughts of getting off Lexapro on the back burner. I am doing much better now with the fatigue and 'brain fog' but the more I improve, the more the side effects of Lexapro are evident and drastically effecting my life and ability to heal. I was going to start tapering one of the doses of lexapro 1mg or less with liquid. Would this be advisable? I've been looking for professional help but cannot find any.

• Administrator

You're taking 4 drugs now? What times o'clock do you take each drug, with their dosages?

Lexapro 7am 5mg, 2pm 5mg, 10pm 5mg

Gabapentin as needed for pain - usually at night 8pm - not more than 1x a day

Amitriptylene as needed for pain - usually at night 8pm- not more than 1x a day

I re-started these in the past year because my chronic pain got really bad with long covid

Lunesta 11pm

Gabapentin 300mg

Amitrip 10mg

Lunesta 3mg

• Administrator

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

Interactions between your drugs

amitriptyline escitalopram

Applies to: amitriptyline, Lexapro (escitalopram)
Using 
escitalopram together with amitriptyline can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called

the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden , lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or <heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

rilpivirine

Major

Using escitalopram together with rilpivirine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Applies to: Lexapro (escitalopram), Odefsey (emtricitabine / rilpivirine / tenofovir alafenamide)

Benazepril and amitriptyline may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

amitriptyline gabapentin

Applies to: amitriptyline, gabapentin

Using amitriptyline together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

gabapentin escitalopram

Applies to: gabapentin, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Treatment with escitalopram may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with some anticonvulsants can increase that risk. In addition, escitalopram can cause seizures in susceptible patients, which may reduce the effectiveness of medications that are used to control seizures such as gabapentin. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Also let your doctor know if you develop seizures or experience an increase in seizures during treatment with escitalopram. Additionally, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

amitriptyline eszopiclone

Applies to: amitriptyline, Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using amitriptyline together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

gabapentin eszopiclone

Applies to: gabapentin, Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using gabapentin together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

escitalopram eszopiclone

Applies to: Lexapro (escitalopram), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using escitalopram together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

amitriptyline rilpivirine

Applies to: amitriptyline, Odefsey (emtricitabine / rilpivirine / tenofovir alafenamide)

Using amitriptyline together with rilpivirine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. However, this does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Edited by Altostrata
removed font coding

Well, I guess I will drop the amitriptylene and gabapentin. Amitriptylene is being given to help people with long covid. So that is why i am on a small dose of that. As you know they prescribe gabapentin for everything. 

I am already aware of all the horrors lexapro is causing me

• Administrator

I am confused. When you use the interactions checker, you put the entire list of drugs in at once.

Which drugs are you currently taking, at what times o'clock, with their dosages?

Yes. I put them all in. This is what came out. It is saying which drugs interact with each other. Each paragraph is saying two drugs which have interactions with each other and what. 

I answered the question about timing when you asked it of me above. 

c&p

Lexapro 7am 5mg, 2pm 5mg, 10pm 5mg

Gabapentin  usually at night 8pm - not more than 1x a day

Amitriptylene - usually at night 8pm- not more than 1x a day

I re-started these in the past year because my chronic pain got really bad with long covid

Lunesta 11pm

Maybe too wordy sorry

Lexapro 

7am 5mg,

2pm 5mg,

10pm 5mg

Gabapentin  300mg 8pm 

Amitriptylene - 10mg 8pm

Lunesta -3mg -11pm

I can try the cross referencing engine again when I get home from choir practice in an hour 

I put them all in at once and it generated that reply - ranking interactions by severe, moderate etc. 2 drugs at a time

I'm trying my best to give you the correct info

• Administrator

As you can see, many of your problems may be from major drug-drug interactions.

19 hours ago, Sloanwoof said:

What dosages of gabapentin and amitriptyline do you take at 8 p.m.? Why do you take these 2 drugs at the same time?

Why do you take Lexapro in 3 divided doses?

How often do you take amitriptyline? How often do you skip doses of gabapentin and amitriptyline?

When did you start each of these drugs, with their dosages? Please update your signature with this information.

• amitriptyline
  • benazepril
  • Celebrex (celecoxib)
  • gabapentin
  • guanfacine
  • Lexapro (escitalopram)
  • Lunesta (eszopiclone)
  • Odefsey (emtricitabine / rilpivirine / tenofovir alafenamide)

Why are you taking benazepril, Celebrex (celecoxib), and Odefsey (emtricitabine / rilpivirine / tenofovir alafenamide)? Do you take them every day? If so, what is your daily drug schedule of all your drugs, with dosages?

Ok. I've answered all of these questions to your earlier questions. In my signature and in my bio. Including about my HIV and blood pressure meds. 
I know you are probably trying to help but it seems like every other person who comes on here is met with care and compassion and I am just getting the 3rd degree.

I figured this would be at least one place where someone would understand the anguish I go through on a daily basis. But if you did you wouldn't be asking me the same questions over and over - which are difficult to keep writing the answer to in my state.

I'll just keep going on my own.

I'm sorry I lost my temper. I have already stated most of these answers. I'm not able to type much now. 

I will put all of the answers in a cohesive document and that way it won't kee getting chopped up in the chat. Is there an email I can send it to?

I know you are trying to help. The side effects/symptoms have been very extreme this week and my nerves are frayed. 

apologies.

sloan

• Administrator

Your drug regimen is very complex, you'll have to bear with my questions as I sort it out. I'm only a volunteer, please do what you can to make this easy for me. I counsel only on this Web site.

According to your drug interactions report, you are taking 8 drugs. I am looking for your daily drug schedule for ALL of your drugs, not just the psychiatric drugs. Like this, but with all 8 drugs, with time o'clock on the left and the drug with dosage on the right.

7am Lexapro 5mg,

2pm Lexapro 5mg,

8pm Gabapentin  300mg

8pm Amitriptylene - 10mg

10pm Lexapro 5mg

11pm Lunesta -3mg

Why do you take Lexapro in 3 divided doses?

23 hours ago, Sloanwoof said:

Why do you take gabapentin and amitriptyline together at 8 p.m.? Do you not take gabapentin and amitriptyline every night at 8 p.m.? How often do you NOT take gabapentin and amitriptyline -- how often do you skip doses? How often do you take them at times other than 8 p.m.?