SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dragoon909: here for help after "setback"

Dragoon909

Hello everyone, 

I'm confused lately on what's going on. I'll share my history first: 

I was on Effexor, Lithium, Klonopin and Tegretol for various times for anxiety and bipolar (although I'm not sure if I was bipolar or just developmental psychology throughout my 20's). Anyway, I came off all drugs after tapering. The klonopin was the last drug I came off back in 2012. I healed from it all around 2 years later....

Here's what's strange after all these years of feeling better, I suddenly got derealization and depersonalization again along with adrenaline and some tinnitus. 

I'm just curious if this is because of stress in life OR if it's a setback. 

Perhaps my brain was still healing on the back burner? 

Maybe I took something that caused me to setback or overwhelming stress: only things I can think of I took the past month was nicotine gum, collagen supplement or retinoid creme for my face.

Only things I can think of. 

Just strange after all these years off meds and healed, a few of the symptoms come back. 

Don't get me wrong, I've healed myself bucket loads in 10 years, but why some of the symptoms return? 

Can this happen because of stress or something we took? 

The derealization and depersonalization are the worst: I haven't been able to feel much emotion in 2 weeks now. Just terrible stuff. 

Thanks, D.

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

I forget the dosage other than 4mg of Klonopin. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dragoon909: here for help after "setback"
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only specific dates, include the day (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day), drug names, and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Your Drug History in Your Signature

Yes, I agree, it is strange to have these symptoms return after years of feeling good and recovered.  

1) Have you had unusual stress recently?  yes, stress can do this.  

2) Have you had alcohol or other mind altering stuff (CBD, THC, marijuana, etc) 

3) have you added any drugs or supplements recently?  If so, please describe in detail. 

4) Have you had changes in your routine: diet, exercise, new job, moving, etc?  

5) Has there been anything else unusual? 

On 11/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, Dragoon909 said:

only things I can think of I took the past month was nicotine gum, collagen supplement or retinoid creme for my face.

It is possible that one of these things has triggered you.  Our nervous systems often become hypersensitive after psych meds, and seemingly innocuous things can trigger us.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

4 hours ago, getofflex said:

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs and supplements you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only specific dates, include the day (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day), drug names, and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Your Drug History in Your Signature

Yes, I agree, it is strange to have these symptoms return after years of feeling good and recovered.  

1) Have you had unusual stress recently?  yes, stress can do this.  

2) Have you had alcohol or other mind altering stuff (CBD, THC, marijuana, etc) 

3) have you added any drugs or supplements recently?  If so, please describe in detail. 

4) Have you had changes in your routine: diet, exercise, new job, moving, etc?  

5) Has there been anything else unusual? 

It is possible that one of these things has triggered you.  Our nervous systems often become hypersensitive after psych meds, and seemingly innocuous things can trigger us.  

Yes, I felt better for years...completely healed. 

I took some Collagen supplement, and yes I was stressed this year. 

I personally believe it was stress.

The setback is mostly derealization and depersonalization. 

It's been somewhat tolerable, but I just don't understand why my nervous  system went back to this. It's been about 3 weeks with very little letup. 

Do setbacks usually last that long? 

It started after coming back from a vacation to Miami. 

Very strange. 

Thank you very much. ❤️ 

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

• Moderator Emeritus
48 minutes ago, Dragoon909 said:

Do setbacks usually last that long? 

Our nervous systems are extremely complex, and once they are thrown off kilter, yes, it can take a while for them to recover.  I would suggest being very gentle with yourself, and giving yourself plenty of natural self care and extra rest.  Reduce stress if you can.  This will pass.  Congratulations for being drug free!  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

Our nervous systems are extremely complex, and once they are thrown off kilter, yes, it can take a while for them to recover.  I would suggest being very gentle with yourself, and giving yourself plenty of natural self care and extra rest.  Reduce stress if you can.  This will pass.  Congratulations for being drug free!  

Thank you,

Well, you know, I smoked some pot back in 2016 one time, and the derealization hit like a bomb. Only lasted an hour or two. Isn't that odd? 

Once I took a Benadryl,  and had a setback for a month and a half of derealization and just foggy headed. 

Strange. 

This time, it had to be stress. 

I've been to the dentist and everything,  and that didn't hurt me. 

Definitely stress or that collagen pill. I threw the collagen pills away. 

It's hard to just sit in a house with derealization... I feel trapped and detached. Socializing helps me. 

I'm also having some burning nerves, but definitely not like I did when I first got off the klonopin and other medications. 

It's just so odd how the adrenaline started back up after the collagen pill along with stress. One reason I took the collagen is because I was stressed about ageing being 43. 

Thanks for all your help. 

Guys, 

I think I've figured out what it was that set me back: it had to have been the Collagen supplement. Thinking of it, that's when my stomach started feeling funny. It had to have been!!! I'll never take another one!!! 

I can't see how it was stress, because I've been more stressed before, and had no problems. I could cope. 

So BEWARE of Collagen Supplements. Sooo not worth it! 

My derealization is still here....not as thick, but definitely still here. I have trouble connecting to the world. I absolutely hate this feeling. 😔 

• Moderator Emeritus

Whatever it was it cause this wave, eventually your system will find equilibrium, and this will resolve, as long as you take good care of your self. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

4 hours ago, getofflex said:

Whatever it was it cause this wave, eventually your system will find equilibrium, and this will resolve, as long as you take good care of your self. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Thank you, 

Yeah, it's been years since I've been here.

Just reading about derealization on the forum.  I absolutely don't like it. 

This morning seems to be some better...I've been listening to music. Definitely some improvement.

These forums are lifesavers for ppl. It's a blessing to have them. 

Me being off meds for 10.6 years, hopefully this goes soon. My receptors have healed tremendously,  I can tell...but still got setback to derealization and some tinnitus. 

Not as bad as the wd I went through years ago,   but discouraging to say the least. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Dragoon I'm very glad you are some better!  Here's to continued improvement.  Hang in there. 

Dragoon I'm very glad you are some better!  Here's to continued improvement.  Hang in there. 

Thank you. 

This morning, it's still here but definitely feel more emotion than I did. The only place I really have to go is here, benzo buddies and a derealization forum for support. 

Derealization is scary to me, because feeling no emotion is distressing and draining after so long. I understand it's a defense mechanism, but still scary. 

Anyway, I bought some Gatorade this morning after drinking nothing but water for weeks straight. I figured some electrolytes would do me some good. 

I'm just taking it easy, spending time with my cat and dog, lol. 

Hopefully this passes soon, or at least eases up enough to feel safe. 

Thank you for your support. 

And I can't say enough: stay away from supplements! Specifically Collagen. 🦋 🦋 🦋 

Have a good day. ❤️ 

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you enjoyed your pet therapy yesterday. Yes I know this is scary stuff.  Check out the success stories to help reassure you. They’re on the main page a little bit under the introductions.  I would suggest you try taking a walk outside in the natural light. Sunlight, and being outside in nature is very healing.

Edited by getofflex

I hope you enjoyed your pet therapy yesterday. Yes I know this is scary stuff.  Check out the success stories to help reassure you. They’re on the main page a little bit under the introductions.  I would suggest you try taking a walk outside in the natural light. Sunlight, and being outside in nature is very healing.

Thank you, 

I have been taking walks around the neighborhood. It does seem to help some. 

I don't think that Gatorade agreed with me too well yesterday: it was the sugar in it. It revved up the derealization. Got very anxious last night. 

I'm not going to drink it until I start feeling much better. 

getofflex, 

How are you feeling?

Have you ever experienced derealization?

It's another day down.

I went out and took more walks around the neighborhood...

Ate a good breakfast and lunch. 

Still not feeling "wholesome". The derealization is still here, and hard to say if It's got any better. 

I'm hoping for better sleep tonite. Last night, I got maybe 5 or 6 hrs. I need sleep, or the dr intensifies. 

Warm day in December here in NC. 

I have been reading around the forum: derealization seems to be a major symptom many have. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/2/2022 at 7:59 AM, Dragoon909 said:

getofflex, 

How are you feeling?

Have you ever experienced derealization?

Yes, I have a lot, and still do, but much less than I used to, and only some days.  Back in 2018 and 2019, I had this more often than not.  I dealt with it by accepting it, and trying not to think about it or worry about it.  It will eventually go away.  Rest assured, I think yours will not stick around as long as mine did.  I made the mistake of doing fast tapering before I found this site.  

Good for your for taking outside walks, and eating well.  Keep doing natural self care like this.  Your sleep should eventually improve.  Here is a link with help for that: 

Insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

3 hours ago, getofflex said:

Yes, I have a lot, and still do, but much less than I used to, and only some days.  Back in 2018 and 2019, I had this more often than not.  I dealt with it by accepting it, and trying not to think about it or worry about it.  It will eventually go away.  Rest assured, I think yours will not stick around as long as mine did.  I made the mistake of doing fast tapering before I found this site.  

Good for your for taking outside walks, and eating well.  Keep doing natural self care like this.  Your sleep should eventually improve.  Here is a link with help for that: 

Insomnia

Thank you for your links and words. 

Everything helps when going through this. 

Went to the grocery store this morning, and everything looked so unreal.

I had to get out of the house, because staying cooped up makes me feel trapped. 

I feel like Alice in Wonderland...so strange and weird. I had derealization before medication because of panic attacks. I also had it in wd.

Here it is again... 

I'm going to have to handle stress better and stay away from supplements. 

The dr started the beginning of November,  and it's still here...not as bad, but lingering to the last drop of fog. 

I'm glad yours is better. 

I try to distract, but sometimes it can be hard... 

Again, ty  😊 

Today, the derealization has been bad bad. 

Can it fluctuate like that?

I just can't exactly put my finger on what set me back. Maybe someone can help me understand:

The only things I can think if is this:

Collagen Supplement. 

Nicotine gum.

I did have some stress, but I had it before and did just fine.

There were no changes in diet, although my caffeine consumption was pretty bad...I drank alot of coffee.

I just don't know other than those things. Would be nice to know exactly, so I can avoid it. 

I am honestly thinking Collagen Supplement,  but I only took, maybe 3 back in October. 

I did also try out a few retinol cremes, but I don't know if that would do it.

I just can't our my finger on it. The derealization and fog has went on for a month now. 

All those years, nothing and now this....

???

Dragoon 

I was reading about nicotine gum, which I did use back in October...

I found this info:

Nicotine acts on acetylcholine (ACh) receptors in your brain. Stimulating and regulating the release of a host of neurotransmitters including serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. As a nootropic, we're talking about using a nicotine lozenge or gum for cognitive enhancement.Apr 27, 2022 (published)

I'm thinking it could have been that as well; it had to be the gum or collagen. 

I'm just venting here, trying to put it together.  

The derealization is still here. Last night, it was pretty bad. Actually all day yesterday, it was. 

Anyway, thanks for listening.  ❤️ 

The derealization is still here. 

Took a few walks and felt no emotion at all. 

I'm just venting here. 

Maybe I should start a blog, lol. 

It just gets to me...completely healed all these years, and then out of nowhere...this. 

Frustrating.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Dragoon909 said:

The derealization is still here. 

Took a few walks and felt no emotion at all. 

I'm just venting here. 

Maybe I should start a blog, lol. 

It just gets to me...completely healed all these years, and then out of nowhere...this. 

Frustrating.  

I feel so sorry for u 

Does taking collagen supplements caused a crash for u or is it the retinol ? 

Does it have effect on neurotransmitters or what ?

I hope it gets better for u soon dear 

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

2 hours ago, Lilly998 said:

I feel so sorry for u 

Does taking collagen supplements caused a crash for u or is it the retinol ? 

Does it have effect on neurotransmitters or what ?

I hope it gets better for u soon dear 

Well, I got really stressed and after that is when the derealization settled in.

Also tinnitus and anxiety.

I'm not for sure what caused it.

I'm thinking stress, as stress can cause an array of symptoms of anxiety and derealization.

It's still here after 2 months with some progress. 

I was drinking alot of coffee as well...sleep was poor. 

I sure hope it goes soon enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I just wanted to chime in and say wow I’m so happy you healed after coming off those previous medications- that is very hopeful. As for this setback, it must be upsetting to be experiencing symptoms again. I hope they pass soon for you. It is a comforting thought to know that you have overcome much worse in the past so surely you will be okay again in time! 

I had some very severe reactions to beef gelatin/collagen a couple months ago. Insomnia, tachycardia, and heightened anxiety which led me to get back on meds that created other setbacks. So I agree for people with a history of withdrawl or psych med exposure to be very wary of collagen, gelatins, even things like bone broth. I took the supplement for 3 days and all hell broke loose. So that could have certainly played a role here. 

Wishing you continued healing and calm. Thanks for replying on the dp/Dr thread as well. Take care 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

3 minutes ago, ElaineBenes5 said:

Hi there, I just wanted to chime in and say wow I’m so happy you healed after coming off those previous medications- that is very hopeful. As for this setback, it must be upsetting to be experiencing symptoms again. I hope they pass soon for you. It is a comforting thought to know that you have overcome much worse in the past so surely you will be okay again in time! 

I had some very severe reactions to beef gelatin/collagen a couple months ago. Insomnia, tachycardia, and heightened anxiety which led me to get back on meds that created other setbacks. So I agree for people with a history of withdrawl or psych med exposure to be very wary of collagen, gelatins, even things like bone broth. I took the supplement for 3 days and all hell broke loose. So that could have certainly played a role here. 

Wishing you continued healing and calm. Thanks for replying on the dp/Dr thread as well. Take care 

Hi there Elaine, 

Thanks for responding. 

I'm not sure if it was the collagen or stress. I did have alot of stress, and ignored the signs. 

It's got some better. Unfortunately,  I'm dealing with covid right now. So, this isn't helping anything. 

The good news is, my oxygen levels are staying normal. Hopefully this all passes soon.

I'm just going to have to manage stress better. 

Not all symptoms came back...just derealization and fog. Some tinnitus.

May I ask did you take a supplement or use a creme?

It was a powder/mix into drink supplement.

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

3 hours ago, ElaineBenes5 said:

It was a powder/mix into drink supplement.

OK I see.

I never used those, but I did take the capsules.