LostSoul32: citalopram withdrawal symptoms

LostSoul32

Hello! Citalopram Long-Term Discontinuation Symptoms

Hi everyone 

I am 32 years old and I have been on various anti depressants since age 14. I developed post-natal depression in Dec 2018 and was put on 30mg Citalopram - no issues with them at this point. 

In April this year (2022) I stupidly stopped Citalopram abruptly. I realise now that I should not have done this.

One month after stopping, I developed muffled hearing in one ear, and a sort of whooshing/buzzy tinnitus. Over the next few months, more symptoms developed;

Muscle twitching from head to toe (eyelid, nose, cheek, chin, ear drum….you name it, it twitched) 

Internal tremors (constantly on edge and nervous)

Popping/tingling sensations in scalp and back of neck 

Diarrhoea 

Sweating then freezing 

Pounding heartbeat felt in chest, back of head and neck 

Sensitivity to light and sound 

Head pressure (feels like a balloon is being blown up in my head when I stand up) 

Does this sound like discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms? Some of these issues have went away but 7 months after stopping, I am still left with pulsatile tinnitus, ear fullness, head pressure and muscle twitching. After numerous blood tests all coming back “normal” and discussing my symptoms with my doctor, they have prescribed me….10mg Citalopram “for anxiety”. 

These symptoms have led me to develop health anxiety - something I’ve never had before. Many Google searches have thrown up “6 weeks maximum” for discontinuation symptoms, but is it possible I’m having them 7 months down the line? 

Thank you. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

December 2018 - April 2022 - 30mg Citalopram (Stopped abruptly/CT)

18th May 2022 - 21st May 2022 - 50mg Sertraline (Stopped abruptly/CT)

16th November 2022 - Present - 10mg Citalopram (Reinstatement)

Current Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate, Ferrous Fumarate, B12 Hydroxo

• ChessieCat changed the title to LostSoul32: citalopram withdrawal symptoms
  • Administrator

Welcome, @LostSoul32

Yes, your symptoms may very well be withdrawal syndrome. What we often see works to stop it is very low dose reinstatement of the drug, in your case, perhaps 2mg citalopram to start. A liquid is available by prescription for this, or you can make your own liquid, described here Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

You might try just this little bit to see if it will help. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have had many of the same problems, the popping in my neck has been going on for almost a year now and I’ve been off everything for a year. I’ve tried to talk to doctors about it and they all just say that’s weird.