SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

What helps, what doesn't? Managing supplements, herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc.

Shanti

ADMIN NOTE

▪ Be cautious when adding supplements.

Do your own research on each one that interests you. 

▪ Introduce them one at a time and start with a low dose before gradually increasing.

Also see

Don't waste your money on these supplements

Can you take too many supplements?

Multivitamin tips

There are many topics about specific supplements in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum. To find them, use search in the Symptoms forum or look at this list:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Hi. When you all say that you're sensitive to supplements, can you tell me how so? I started taking a Brain Supplement that contains Ginko Bilboa Extract, Rosemary leaf, Leci-PS Phosphatidyl Serine, Huperzine A, L-Glutamine, Gotu Kola and Choline. I just started taking it yesterday and today I feel yucky, groggy, shaky, nervous and heart palpitations. Is this was it does to people in w/d?

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

People who have withdrawal hypersensitivity can get odd reactions to supplements that a normal person would be able to take with no noticeable side effects.

We recommend that people with withdrawal hypersensitivity not take mixed supplements, because you won't know which of the ingredients you're reacting to.

Shaky, nervous, and heart palpitations are frequent hypersensitive reactions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto. I'm definitely not going to be taking anymore of that!

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi Shanti. You are probably taking the brain supplements to help the brain fog thing? I had/have the same thing and what really helps is to drink water. Maybe that is something you are already doing, if so I'm sorry to tell you something you already know. I don't drink TONS of water, but I have a little plastic bottle thats about 20oz and I keep water in it and sip all day. I've always taken supplements but cut some of the doses by half during this withdrawal time. For example: calcium tablets the bottle says take two a day, so I take one. My MSM (for joints) says take two a day, so I take 1 a day and sometimes skip a day on that particular supplement. Even my protein powder for smoothies, it has tons of vitamins in it, I only use half a scoop or less instead of a whole scoop. I guess my thinking is that even if something is "good", by body needs a break. Water helps though, also small meals more often helps the brain I think. But that's another subject, I've talked too much already! Take care and hope you feel better today.

Have been taking Zoloft or Prozac since 1999 and began tapering off Zoloft August 1, 2011.

I totally feel the same Milkthystle. I see these things that would be good for my brain and nervous system but it's just too sensitive right now. When I'm through with withdrawal, I'll get more into the remedies. It does occur to me to drink more water, but I keep forgetting! It would be helpful to drink more.

I'm feeling better after not taking the brain supplement now. I'll save it for the future to get my brain into better shape.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 6 months later...

Alto I didn't know you were WDing too. Can you please post the supplements you may be taking, if any?

Thank you.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Well, I'm tapering lamotrigine. It's a long story.

I'm a menopausal woman. I'm taking

- fish oil (6 capsules per day) with vitamin E (400IU) (At least 2,000mg EPA + DHA per day)

- multivitamin with minerals (no iron)

- 100mg CoQ10

- 300mg niacinamide

- 1000mg extended-release vitamin C (in divided doses)

- 1200IU vitamin D

- lots of calcium citrate

- 75mg-100mg magnesium citrate

- 81mg aspirin

plus, I was taking betacarotene for vitamin A and I think I'll take it again -- my eyes are irritated from allergies.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto ~

Is the calcium citrate in a tablet as well as magnesium citrate. Years back I took it in a liquid form, and it had me in the bathroom.

What is niacinamide for? And is CoQ10 for memory?

I tolerate fish oil, multi vits and C. Right now I don't know about B complex. I can only try and see what happens.

I know people who said B's are very calming for them.

Thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

I would not take a B vitamin supplement. I've found vitamin B6 in particular to be too activating for me.

I chose my multivitamin partly because it contains low B6 -- 3mg. I mostly take it for the trace minerals.

The calcium tablets I take are actually calcium citrate and maleate. These are highly absorbable forms of calcium.

COQ10 is for energy.

See the niacinamide topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/43-vitamin-b3-niacin-niacinamide/page__p__51__hl__niacinamide__fromsearch__1#entry51

I take these supplements because they suit my particular needs. The supplements I found that are most useful for withdrawal symptoms are fish oil (with vit E), magnesium, and aspirin, which I take in the evening to help me relax.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto ~

Is the calcium citrate in a tablet as well as magnesium citrate. Years back I took it in a liquid form, and it had me in the bathroom.

What is niacinamide for? And is CoQ10 for memory?

I tolerate fish oil, multi vits and C. Right now I don't know about B complex. I can only try and see what happens.

I know people who said B's are very calming for them.

Thanks

I also take calcium citrate in tablet form, which I buy in GNC brand because calcium citrate is all that's in the caplets. I had trouble finding a brand that didn't include magnesium or Vitamin D or zinc or all three of them, always in the wrong amounts. I take powdered magnesium glyconate in capsule form, two 133 mg. caps a day. More than that and I also spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

I take a form of COQ10 called Ubiquinol, which is supposed to be more absorbable by older people (I'm 66). I take 50 mg. a day to repair the muscular wasting that occurred from taking Lipitor.

I take a number of other supplements, some of them for pollen allergies and osteoporosis, but not niacinamide. I tried a B Complex caplet, which was too stimulating.

It's always an individual thing, unlike mainstream medicine which seems to think one size fits all. <_<

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks folks....Jemima I had to laugh at the part of your post about too much magnesium :lol:

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I am continuing the search for stuff that might help my sleep. One question I have, how long should I give a new supplement like milk peptides or l-theanine before I can say it as or hasn't worked. I tend to be fairly impatient (read desperate) and may be moving on too quickly

Any advice much appreciated

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Neither of those supplements needs to be built up in your bloodstream over time. You should feel whether they work fairly quickly.

You need more than one trial before you can see a pattern, or know if the effect is from the supplement or something else.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm currently on a slew of supplements, and I'd like to find additional supplements that actually do help with my heightened anxiety levels. Here's what I'm on:

B-100 complex

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Omega 3 6 9

Flaxseed

Wheatgrass powder

Chlorella

Calcium-Magnesium

Soy Lecithin

Rice Protein

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's)

Can anyone chime in with some supplements to add to this that may actually work to help my anxiety levels, especially morning anxiety? Does L-arginine, glycine, and Phosphatidylserine actually work? Anything else you can think of?

current Rx = 7.5mg Zyprexa, 15mg Valium, 34mg Prozac

this combo was finally arrived at over the past few months by going into severe benzo w/d last November from a failed cold turkey 10mg Valium taper.

However i am in the process of tapering all of these meds down.

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" - Philo of Alexandria

• Moderator Emeritus

I found that Phosphatidylserine worked to the point of making me drowsy when I didn't want to be. It also badly upset my stomach, so I no longer take it.

It would be very helpful if you'd post your history of psychiatric drug use in your signature. (Instructions are here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/page__pid__30171#entry30171.) Many times the use of supplements can be overstimulating when a person is withdrawing from antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs. The supplements themselves may be causing or aggravating your anxiety, in other words. I reacted badly to a B vitamin complex during withdrawal. Fish oil, calcium, and magnesium seem to work fairly well even for people who are over-sensitized.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi,

I'm currently on a slew of supplements, and I'd like to find additional supplements that actually do help with my heightened anxiety levels. Here's what I'm on:

B-100 complex

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Omega 3 6 9

Flaxseed

Wheatgrass powder

Chlorella

Calcium-Magnesium

Soy Lecithin

Rice Protein

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's)

Hi there,

To echo, some of your supplements can be stimulating. For me, I had big trouble with lecithin. I had for a while also trouble with denatured protein powders (I assume your Rice is undenatured), B vitamins. I also have a problem with vit D.

I do my best to add supplements (and foods) one at a time and give each several days of trial.

As for calming supplements, magnesium works for many. Mg citrate and glycinate are most favored but malate works for some too. Niacinamide, Taurine, Chamommille, Theanine. There are threads on all of these, I think, and others. Try search and the 'Symptoms' forum.

Also, it's important to check interactions if you take any medication at all.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Does the phosphatidylserine work in smaller amounts to decrease morning anxiety by regulating cortisol levels? Anybody have any thoughts on glycine or l-arginine or other supplements?

this combo was finally arrived at over the past few months by going into severe benzo w/d last November from a failed cold turkey 10mg Valium taper.

I often look to veterinary medicine which tends to more holistic and supplement-based. We had some thunderstorms and quivering dogs the past several days. Found a supplement, Quiet Moments, that worked like a charm. It contains:

Chamomile, passion flower, thiamine (vitamin B-1, also used with anxious horses), ginger, and L-tryptophan.

I was surprised at how effective it was and made note of the ingredients. I would caution the use of tryptophan because it is related to serotonin.

I'm not suggesting use of a dog supplement, but thought I'd mention the ingredients as an FYI.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I'm worried about these, any of which can cause anxiety or a paradoxical reaction:

B-100 complex

Vitamin D

Soy Lecithin

Nicklesprout, can you take these separately, one by one, and see how they affect you?

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's) -- on principle, I'm wary of mixed supplements. If you get a bad reaction, you won't know which ingredient did it.

When do you take this? How does it affect you?

I take the Relax-Eze during the day and it doesn't really do anything at all as far as I can tell, so I don't take it too often.

In regards to the B 100, Soy Lecithin, and Vitamin D, I was taking the D due to low D levels in my bloodstream. The Soy Lecithin to combat any extra pyramidal symptoms which could arise although i have none as of now, and the B 100 just because. I could quit taking the Soy Lecithin and the Vitamin B100 to see if that helps, but what about taking Niacin? Thoughts on that?

The supplement I'm most convinced I felt an effect from was magnesium. I know fish oil is supposed to be a good one but I could never say for sure if I felt a noticeable effect or not. I also did feel that melatonin helped with getting to sleep. I used the sublingual by Source Naturals.

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

I get Peter Gillham's Natural Calm brand version of calcium-magnesium. It does seem to help take the edge off if i drink enough of it.

• Administrator

Nicklesprout, if vitamin D isn't setting off any bad reactions, definitely keep taking it.

The others may or may not be helping. Where did you see lecithin helps extrapyramidal symptoms?

I've read that online somewhere, not sure where though, my Dr actually put me on it.

I took Seriphos on two separate occasions for about two months each time. I'm not positive it helped, but it didn't hurt. From my notes it seemed I improved considerably AFTER taking it for two months and then stopping. Not sure if that was coincidence or not. I would take one at night before dinner and then one every time I woke up during the night, but not past 7am.

I think magnesium is the one with the clearest short-term effect. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I now take 250mg niacinamide and 40mL magnesium chloride suspension (I'd have to look at my calculations to see the mg equivalent). The two combined seem to do a good job of calming me down enough to sleep another hour and a half.

I take l-arginine for other reasons, and wonder if it helps... not really sure.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 1 year later...

To improve working memory and cognition i've heard great things about Piracetam and Citicoline.  I don't want to take them while on Wellbutrin, but want to try if I can't hack Welly.

Diagnosed with OCD in 2004

8 years on Lexapro (20 mg) and Klonopin (1 mg)

Quit Lexapro in March, 2012 due to poop-out

Started Prozac (40 mg) and quit in December, 2012 due to severe gastritis

Started Zoloft (50 mg) in May, 2013 and quit 10 days later (abruptly, the day after going up to 75 mg on my own).

WITHDRAWAL/PSSD SYNDROME BEGAN

Today I am taking 1 mg Klonopin along with 300 mg Wellbutrin XL

• Administrator

Anything that is stimulating probably will make withdrawal symptoms worse. Anything that is sedating might have a paradoxical effect. A nootropic may conflict with other drugs or supplements you are taking.

When you have withdrawal syndrome, your nervous system is in a very vulnerable state. Experiment with nootropics at your own risk. To limit possible adverse reactions, try a very small amount to begin with.

See topics in the Symptoms forum about specific supplements.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

There appears to be a good number of people taking vitamins, minerals, and/or other supplements.  I've found it difficult to keep track of all the things people are taking and why they are taking them.  I know there are threads that talk about various supplements, but I thought perhaps it might be good to have a thread where people could post what vitamin, mineral and/or supplement they are taking and brief description as to why.  Maybe even add if you have felt a benefit.  

I'll start...

B-Complex vitamin: Because I don't consume any animal products.  I've taken this for a number of years and can't recall whether I

noticed a difference when I began taking it. 

Vitamin D: Blood work revealed a deficiency.  I take it only during the winter months (U.S.), when the days are shorter.  Its been several                   years since I started taking this, but I do recall feeling less fatigued once I started taking it.  

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to caution folks that just because something isn't an "evil" drug doesn't mean it is harmless.  I say that as one who is beginning to think I am intolerant of most supplements.

I also just realized that coconut oil is elevating my heart rate and yes there are anectodal reports about this.

If you have strange symptoms, besides the meds, look at the supplements and foods are you eating.   They might be the culprit.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 2 months later...

So I finished my taper 3 weeks ago, and whoa...Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hide showed up, as well as all his crazy cousins. Good lord, I'm a basket case! lol

I'm experiencing constant anxiety, which is a new is a new symptom for me.  I didn't experience anxiety during the bulk of my taper.  The type of anxiety that I'm having feels like a perpetual tightness in the pit of my stomach, not just nervousness.

Also my heart races when I lie down at night.  My heart rate is too high to begin with, but what's up with the racing? Can alcohol cause a rebound affect?  Those yummy Cosmos are just about the only thing that calms me down.

I've also been struggling with insomnia for over a month, which could explain the extremely low tolerance level to any kind of stress.  I'm very reactive and easily upset. I finally had a full night's sleep last night after taking 1 mg of Klonopin.  Normally, 1 mg of Klonopin would cause me to be extremely lethargic the next day. But not this time. I am kind of shocked.  I'm still wired and anxious today.

Am I going through some kind of manic stage?  It seems like all the waves have showed up at once. During the taper I would have a period of anger & rage, a period of insomnia, a period of crying spells, etc. Now they've all joined the party, and brought their friend anxiety along!

I've read lots of posts about people's varied experience as to what supplements helped them. But I'm truly at a loss.  I have rarely needed calming supplements, since my depression was always the lethargic kind.  But now, it seems that I've swung to the other extreme. Except that I'm exhausted from all the anxiety and anger.

Any thoughts about the supplements listed here?
http://ndnr.com/anxietydepressionmental-health/natural-approaches-to-anxiety/
N-acetylcysteine
L-theanine
Phosphatidylserine
Banaba leaf (corosolic acid)
4-Amino-3-phenylbutyric acid
Taurine
Glycine

I'm trying phosphotidylserine the last few days, but I almost think that it has made my anxiety worse. Is that possible?

Also considering Ashwaghanda or Rhodiola, not sure which.

A naturapathic doctor in my family recommended that I take this Adrenal Supportsupplement [/size]http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/adrenal-support-60-caps/1507/

She says that herbs work synergistically and taking only one at a time is not as beneficial. I just don't know.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

I found this thread on phosphotidylserine, now I wonder if I have to take it at lunchtime, because my anxiety is worse in the afternoon and evening.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1852-how-to-reduce-cortisol-both-rx-and-natural/?hl=%2Badrenal+%2Bsupport#entry7586

The supplement I'm taking is from VitaCost: 

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-phosphatidylserine-complex-1000-mg-per-serving-60-softgels-2

SerinAid®
(Standardized to 20% phosphatidylserine) 1000 mg *
  Phosphatidylserine 200 mg *
  Phosphatidylcholine 90 mg *
  Phosphatidylethanolamine 20 mg *

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• Administrator

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I took effexor for 1 year.I withdrew bead by bead over 3 months .earlier i got some seizure type activity when i took it for 3 months and then withdrew. I think vitamins and herbs may help.waht is your suggestion

The Symptoms and Self-Care section has lots of information

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

I have gone thru many threads about amino acids, vitamins, supplements and I've heard things from this worked for me all the way to just leave your body alone. Not really sure what to do. I'm making this thread in hopes that people who have had success with something will list what helped them feel better because either I'm not reading the right thread or there is no thread where I can find a definitive answer. I know that everyone is different and what works for one might not work for all but it would be nice to know what to try.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy