Almost daily symptom 4 years post CT

tsranga

This has been almost a daily symptom, and I am wondering if anyone has experienced it?

When I have an early awakening and I return to bed,  I am in a state of awareness where I can feel all the sensations, observe all the thoughts, but when I open my eyes, 1-2 hours have passed, and my Fitbit  shows it as rem sleep.  This is when I can feel my hands and legs go stiff and painful, with leg paresthesia, can feel the gut moving with gut noises, feel my body go hot and cold,  and a whole bunch of random thoughts, for the entire duration. 

I do know that I can wakeup when I am in REM sleep earlier in the night, but I can fall back into sleep, but this early morning symptom is a weird one.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

I have never read somebody writes something similar to my experiences with waking up and you could be very close to it. It is not happening every day but it has been in most of my waves. I was doing fine for few months and this was gone but lately it is back.

I wake up early. I mentaly fell ok. Sometimes better sometimes worried how will I keep living like this... I try to go back to sleep. It feels like I do not go back to sleep but I start to think and it brings me to hell. I get increased anxiety, fear, no possibility to get up because of no energy, no motivation to live...It becomes unberable. In reality, I guess I do fall to sleep because later I realize that not all of that was my feelings and thoughts but it must had been some dreams because some of those things are not real. 

I can not explain it better at the moment. I thought these were called vivid dreams. 

3/2012 - sertralin 50 mg, no major side effects

1/2014 - ct sertralin 50 mg (tappered 3 weeks as doctor ordered)

7/2014 - back to sertalin 50 mg, no issues

4/2016 - ct sertralin 50 mg (tappered 3 weeks, my decision)

12/2016 - back to sertalin, major side effects from the first pill and the begginning of hell

2/2017 - mirtazepine 15 mg added for insomnia

6/2017 - stopped sertralin (2 months tapper)

9/2017 - stopped mirtazepine (3 weeks taper)

waves and windows

Not sure if it's similar to what you are experiencing, but it reminded me of hypnopompia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompia (There is also hypnagogia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia )

2006 - Paroxetine, 20 mg

2008 / 2018 - Several mostly unsuccessful attempts at tapering, without knowledge of withdrawal

2019 - Decrease from 20 mg to 15 mg (June), from 15 mg to 10 mg (Dec)

2020 - Switch to 10 mg liquid citalopram (Feb), decrease to 8 mg (Apr), 6 mg (June), 4 mg (July) without clear symptoms. 3.2 mg (Sep 9), 3 mg (Sep 23), 2.8 mg (Oct 10), 2.6 mg (Oct 26), 2 mg (Nov 13).  Tapered to 1.68 mg in steps of 0.16 mg (Dec 3). Withdrawal kicked in hard. Increase to 1.8 mg (Dec 8), increase to 1.92 mg (Dec 18)

2021 - Increase to 2.2 mg (Jan 1), decrease to 2 mg (Feb 8 ), 1.92 mg (March 21), 1.8 mg (Apr 2), 1.68 mg (Apr 25), 1.56 mg (June 6), 1.52 mg (Sep 5), 1.48 mg (Sep 20), 1.44 mg (Oct 4), 1.4 mg (Oct 18), 1.36 (Nov 1)

2022 - 1.32 mg (Feb 4) - Covid (March 7) - 1.28 mg (Jul 21), 1.24 mg (Oct 3), 1.2 mg (Nov 26)

2023 - Holding at 1.2 mg

Other medication: sumatriptan 50 mg, when needed (migraine)

2 hours ago, Momiki said:

Not sure if it's similar to what you are experiencing, but it reminded me of hypnopompia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompia (There is also hypnagogia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia )

Neither one of those..

What really happens is that the gut wakes me up from sleep through some discomfort - gas, pain or urgency to pee/BM. After that, when I get back to bed and try fall back into sleep with conscious breathing, as the gut moves(with noises/air etc), it triggers symptoms in other parts of the body, along with random thoughts.. it's primarily triggered by gut activity.

As I lie in this state, I can sometimes fall into sleep, or stay in this state.. and I lose my perception of time - I think it's 30 min or less, and it can extend to 2-3 hours.  

I do feel more rested if I stay in this state, than if I don't get back to sleep.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy