Can You Desensitize Yourself to Medications?

SleepPls009

Hi All, 

I went off of Luvox 8 months ago, and ever since then I've been extraordinarily sensitive to all types of medications. Most of them, especially psych meds, just keep me awake at night. Some increase psych symptoms (i.e. depression). But there is very little that I can tolerate. 

The problem is, I have a heart condition and I need to start taking a beta blocker. ASAP. I tried metoprolol and it made it impossible to sleep. Right now I'm trying carvedilol, and it brought my depression back. And this is despite me taking an incredibly low dose of carvedilol; I was prescribed the lowest possible dose at my request (3.125 mg) and even then I broke that in half, and it's still giving me depression symptoms! 

I know that we often talk about slowly tapering down on meds to avoid discontinuation symptoms, but is it possible to go in the other direction? Can you desensitize yourself to a medicine by very slowly tapering your dose upwards? At least I can sleep on carvedilol, so I'd like to give it a chance, but I can't continue dealing with depression when I'm already struggling with discontinuation symptoms and other health issues. Would welcome any advice on how to get my body to tolerate these meds. Thank!

SleepPls009

Current – Nothing but 

Aug-Oct -melatonin 2, nebivolol 2.5, amlodipine 2.5,, rosuvastatin, dayvigo 5mg, nefazodone 1x 25mg

July 23 – Nebivolol 1.25 mg, amlodipine 2.5 mg, budesonide, omeprazole, rosuvastatin 5mg

May-Jun 23–Nebivolol 2.5, Amlodipine 2.5, Budesonide, omeprazole, rosuvastatin 5mg

April 23- Amlodipine 2.5 mg, Omeprazole 40mg, Budesonide nasal rinse 1/day,

Feb 23-March 23- Bisoprolol 2.5 mg (1/24-2/1), Atenolol 5mg (2/12-3/1)

Nov 22-Jan23 – Metoprolol 25 mg, Ranolazine 500mg (Nov), Coreg 1.125 (Dec-Jan)

October 22 – Quviviq 25 mg, Lunesta 3mg, mirtazipine 30mg

September22 – Melatonin 1mg, Ambien 5 mg, Ramelteon 8mg, Seroquel 50-125mg

June 22 – Sertraline 100mg, seroquel 25-50 mg, Ambien 10mg, Amitryptiline 25 mg, July-Aug 22 –Melatonin 1mg nightly (July),  Dayvigo 5 mg, Ambien 5mg 

~2002-2022: Luvox 100mg daily until April 12, 2022, May 22: Prozac 20mg – May 12-June 1, Klonazepam, as needed, Trazedone (once)

Sensitivity to medication should improve with time. After 20 years on Luvox, and various other drugs, it’s going to take a while to undo all the changes your brain made in the presence of the drug. 

You need to speak with your doctor to find a solution for your heart health problems, and how you can proceed given your current sensitivity. 

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

So when I was put on Lamictal years ago I got Stephen’s Johnson syndrome. Apparently from titrating up too quickly. The doctor had me stop the medication then retitrate up even slower. By titrating up slowly I avoided the SJ Syndrome coming back. So yes, maybe if you titrate up very slowly and then stop at the lowest dose that works for you you could avoid some of the side effects. It’s not certain though.

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

Titled:  Medicine Sensitivity Developed Through Long Term Antidepressant Use?

Hi All, 

We talk a lot here about how protracted antidepressant withdrawal can lead to hypersensitivity to medications. For awhile I thought that's what might be happening to me - after going off luvox this April it seemed that I couldn't tolerate anything else that affected the brain. 

However, I'm starting to realize that I may have had symptoms of medication sensitivity far before going off luvox - as far back as 2015~2016, I remember having difficulty tolerating amitriptyline and buspar, when I was still on luvox. I think I had gone up on my luvox dose a little while before that (from 100 to 200mg). I had taken luvox for roughly 13~14 years at that point. 

My question is, is there any evidence that simply being on an antidepressant for long periods of time can cause intolerance/sensitivity to other medications? If there are any studies or reports on this, in particular, I would really appreciate it if someone could link me to them, since I'm trying to find a way to treat this particular issue. If anyone has any idea of how to treat medication sensitivity, that would be greatly appreciated, as well!

Thank you!

Edited by manymoretodays
merged with members similar topic, title added

SleepPls009

Current – Nothing but 

Aug-Oct -melatonin 2, nebivolol 2.5, amlodipine 2.5,, rosuvastatin, dayvigo 5mg, nefazodone 1x 25mg

July 23 – Nebivolol 1.25 mg, amlodipine 2.5 mg, budesonide, omeprazole, rosuvastatin 5mg

May-Jun 23–Nebivolol 2.5, Amlodipine 2.5, Budesonide, omeprazole, rosuvastatin 5mg

April 23- Amlodipine 2.5 mg, Omeprazole 40mg, Budesonide nasal rinse 1/day,

Feb 23-March 23- Bisoprolol 2.5 mg (1/24-2/1), Atenolol 5mg (2/12-3/1)

Nov 22-Jan23 – Metoprolol 25 mg, Ranolazine 500mg (Nov), Coreg 1.125 (Dec-Jan)

October 22 – Quviviq 25 mg, Lunesta 3mg, mirtazipine 30mg

September22 – Melatonin 1mg, Ambien 5 mg, Ramelteon 8mg, Seroquel 50-125mg

June 22 – Sertraline 100mg, seroquel 25-50 mg, Ambien 10mg, Amitryptiline 25 mg, July-Aug 22 –Melatonin 1mg nightly (July),  Dayvigo 5 mg, Ambien 5mg 

~2002-2022: Luvox 100mg daily until April 12, 2022, May 22: Prozac 20mg – May 12-June 1, Klonazepam, as needed, Trazedone (once)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there SleepPls009, @SleepPls009

Your 2 topics started were similar enough that I merged the .

And wondering if you saw the replies above.

With your 2nd and newest post:

On 12/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, SleepPls009 said:

My question is, is there any evidence that simply being on an antidepressant for long periods of time can cause intolerance/sensitivity to other medications? If there are any studies or reports on this, in particular, I would really appreciate it if someone could link me to them,

Have you googled the issue?  Not ideal, but I would be surprised if you have not.

And then you might check the outside topics referenced in the first post here:

Hypersensitivity and Kindling

to find references or possibly links to more studies and reports on this.

I too, feel like it's very likely that I suffered with kindling and hypersensitivity when I was still on the drug merry-go- round.

My understanding is that with time, it may decrease.

I tread very easily with any drug from any class now........even 6 years off everything.  And I try to discuss with doctors the why of that and that my fears are not just born out of nothing.  I often will question dosages too......or if I really need what the standard dose is......or good to start real low with anything I think, if it is necessary.  I mean I realize I may need to take another medication someday,  something outside of the classes of pyschiatric or psychoactive medications we deal with here.

I've done okay with vaccines, and the use of  Profolol for colonoscopy.  I think they may have been too, too liberal with the use of Nitrous Oxide last year when I had a dental procedure that required multiple visits........as I was set back a bit........both mentally and physically for a few months.  They gave it nasally mixed with O2 throughout the entire procedure(s) whereas before I just had it briefly prior to a procedure.

So......I won't be doing that again.  And let them know as well that it may have been too much.  They did not even ask me, or tell me if any risks inherent either......which is kind of a no no, in my book.  Anyway......they took it well, and we are at peace.

That's all I can offer, at this point.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy