jfrank17

Eating as an activating factor (increasing anxiety or symptoms)

WiggleIt

Anybody recovered from this?  I eat SO healthy and am trying to reintroduce soft solid foods and—OMG—it's enough already with the bad stuff!  I have always loved eating, always ate pretty healthy, and I am SO tired of food being my body's enemy.  Argh!!!

MichaelMalnutrition

thank you all for this topic ... it seems to be related to my topic

gn11

I am really having this problem now. It seems if  eat aslad and maybe some chicken I do okay. If I eat protein by itself or protein combined with something heavier as potato I feel worse. I can do white rice usually and oatmeal. Any suggestions about different foods/

JP904

Does anyone have issues with spiked symptoms after lunch? I can eat as much as I like for breakfast and dinner, but if I eat more than a snack for lunch, my symptoms increase significantly. I could be having a pretty good day and then eat lunch and all bets are off (increased fatigue, brain fog, headache)

ADMIN NOTE:  MERGED SIMILAR TOPICS

IrishMonkey92

OH MY GOD - YES!!!! I thought I was going nuts over this. Why are we seemingly the only ones who symptoms get worse after lunch? I thought it was perhaps the actual timing that made it worse, not the food. I seem to get worse around 12/1pm, but that's because its when I eat lunch at work, so its hard to tell. I definitely know now that its real.
Do we know anyone else with this? Or why it happens? My main symptom is rocking/swaying sensation, like being on a boat. It gets worse after lunch for about 2/3 hours...

IrishMonkey92

I'm on a special diet where I use ketones for energy, not glucose and my blood sugars remain at a constant level. It helps diabetics reverse their disease. So I don't think it's sugar driving the worsen of symptoms, but I'm interested about the histamine.

It still doesn't explain my 12/1pm the symptoms get worse around lunch time eating, and not break or dinner

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

ChessieCat

Here's the histamine discussion:  histamine-food-intolerance

And another one which might help:  eating-as-an-activating-factor-increasing-anxiety-or-symptoms    Now merged with this topic.

To search SA I use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic, in these instances histamine and food symptoms worse respectively.

JP904

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone! I don't even eat lunch anymore- going hungry is much better than the increase in symptoms. I usually just eat snacks and even then need to be careful that I don't eat too many or else it's enough to spike symptoms. 

Thanks ChessieCat. I'm going to add more complex carbs into my diet. I recently had to drop oatmeal because somehow after years of eating it every morning, it started to really mess me up.  Same thing happened with Avocados. It's so crazy to me that everything is always changing and it all seems to revolve around diet. I'm also going to try the whole antihistamine thing. Even eating dinner recently has started to spike symptoms and it's been different food each time. I need to figure something out. Anything else I can try besides more complex carbs and less histamines? I don't eat foods that have lots of sugar...most of the sugar I consume is from natural sources. I follow a pretty healthy diet too. 

DexterWhite

I always feel worse an hour or so after eating. Increase in symptoms. I think it has to do with the autonomic nervous system and digestion, etc.

JP904

It used to be just lunch for me, but over the last few days anything I eat after breakfast does it to me. So I used to hold my taper and continue once my symptoms eased up. Now that I get increased symptoms after eating it's hard to judge when I should taper. It seems like every day will have increased symptoms. For you guys, does the increased symptoms after eating fluctuate in intensity? Also, have you noticed that symptoms after eating correlate with symptoms from dropping in dose?

delsol

Same here. I can eat the same things at lunch as I do at dinner (e.g., a bowl of soup at lunch and the same soup at dinner) -- at lunch, my hypersensitive system will freak out, and at dinner, it will freak out less. ??

I'm trying to follow recommendations of the histamine diet. So far I'm only on day 3 or 4, so it's too soon to tell.

IrishMonkey92

JP. I cold turkey'd a year and a half ago - so I wouldn't be informed to tell you that.

I use to get back at dinner, but it went away and just happened at lunch. Now it's slightly back at dinner now. My only real symptom is swaying/rocking and it gets worse at those times

ChessieCat

I've noticed over the last few days at lunch time after eating my body gets hotter.  I'm eating room temperature food, ie not a hot meal, and it has happened for at least 3 days in a row.

Damianamae

Sometimes after I eat, I get a major blood pressure drop which sends me in a multi-hours anxiety spiral.

ChessieCat

I've recently found that after eating room temperature food in the middle of the day I start to feel hotter. 

TurkeyCold

Hey there,

I have to throw my hat into the rag, too. Since a few days I react heavily after meals with enormous headache, whole body pain, increased heart beat, nausea, feelings of being overwhelmed, dry skin, brain fog, agitation (sometimes). And I am constantly constipated.

Thus, Elimimation diet. Today I tried it with gold millet and oatsmeal, coconut oil and salt. It didn't serves me too well, I had strong symptoms, too. Tomorrow I'll try Quinoa (full-grain) and potatoes, although my pain has become worse I am hopeful to find out what I can eat to get soms relief. My inner voice tells me that I am on the right way. Nonetheless, I have to be careful with overeating, cravings got really bad in the last few weeks.

C.

icequeen

Interesting blood test results:  Due to severe constipation for fifteen years after quitting Zoloft because of akathisia, i was hospitalized twice about a year and a half ago and had surgery for paralytic ileus. Blood tests showed that my body is full of lactic acid. The tests also showed hyponatremia and anemia of unknown cause so I had to get blood transfusions.  Anyway, I find that all carbs make my symptoms worse so I eat as little as possible of them. I am still just as constipated, have hyponatremia and anemia. Have any of you asked for tests for lactic acid? If not, maybe you should do that if you ever go to a doctor. Beware of strange accusations though! Because of the lactic acidosis i was accused of being an alcoholic which I am not, have never been and never will be.