Becky1989: Lexapro taper (I'm new to this site and only saw an option to post in this area)

Becky1989

Hi,

I'm a 33 yo female who has been on Lexapro since age 19. I've tapered from 20 mg to 2.5 mg starting in April of 2022. I've been on 30 mg at some points, but I might have tapered the first 10 quickly a few months before the taper starting at 20.  I've been at 2.5 mg since late September. My sleep duration and quality has been an issue since June. I've switched sleeping medications from belsomra to quviviq.

I'm having SUCH a hard time and having emotional problems that I have never experienced. I've isolated myself and compare myself to others constantly, its very painful. I seem to have attachment issues that feel new but can't be. They just must have been medicated before. I feel down, often anxious, tired, unsettled, ans want to sleep a full night.

I want to believe that my brain is healing and that all I have to do is wait. I'm taking fish oil, vit d3 with k2, magnesium. I don't feel like my antidepressant helped a lot, just that everything is a different kind of painful without them. My sister told me she's gotten off her Lexapro 3 times, all with bad outcomes. A friend of mine last night told me the only regret he has from when he stopped his antidepressant is that he waited so long to start taking it again. I don't want what my life is like now, and i don't want to be on a medication that's a dead end road

-lexapro 20mg 2009- 2022 with a few intermittent cross tapers onto zoloft, trintellix (switched back to lexapro)

- klonopin 2mg, twice per week 2014-2017

-ambien 2017- 2021

-klonopin 2017- 2021

-marijuana at bedtime only 2010-2021 

-quivivq for sleep 2021-current 

-sleep supplements containing kava, theanine, glycine, tryptophan, 5 htp, melatonin, ashwagandha

-recent lexapro taper from 20mg down to 2.5 mg (started taper in May of 2022)

Hi @Becky1989

welcome to SA. You are experiencing withdrawal from tapering lexapro too fast. As you keep holding at 2.5mg - we would recommend at least 6 months - your withdrawal symptoms will abate and you can resume tapering when you feel back close to normal. Vitamin D is activating and unless you are deficient I would recommend that you don't take it. Lexapro is a powerful drug and you have come off from a very large amount of it. The doctor who allowed you to take 30mg should never practice medicine as this drug can be dangerous to your heart in such high doses. 

We find that in WD adding or changing psychoactive drugs or substances (pot, alcohol, even some of the supplements that you are taking - vit D, some B vitamins), can cause adverse reactions because our system is hypersensitive. We would recommend not adding any other psych drugs. If you have been taking your sleep medicines consistently, we would recommend not varying your doses from day to day or skipping doses. The supplements you are taking are also psychoactive - ashwagandha, theanine, kava etc. Be careful with those. 

Your sleep will improve gradually if you don't make any changes - you can have a look at the sleep thread that I am linking to see if you can find some tips - read through the whole thread - some of the tips are buried in the middle or later. The point is to accept that you may not sleep well for a while and don't let that become an obsession (I am speaking from experience here). Things will get better as you stabilize. 

Hang in there, 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Mentor

Welcome Becky1989!

no sleep is very common in wd. This is a biggy  . There are many things we can do to help this without drugs. You will find some tips and good information here. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/25270-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

I've read a lot of information on here and am familiar with the protocols you use. Its been very helpful and I'm so grateful I found this place :) I realize many of my supplements are contraindicated and it's not without a lot of thought and consideration that I'm taking them. The relief I get from ashwagandha at night is currently something I'm considering worthy of ultimately making my progress slower. This process is tough, and maybe I'm messing up. I can't make progress if I can't survive this. I've started smoking pot before bed and this is hugely helpful for my sleep. I don't think this is ideal (for many reasons) and I also don't see how else I can grt through unless I'm institutionalized until this passes. I have to be able to sleep and hobble through my days. 

I found the comment about my doctor prescribing a dose of Lexapro that's possibly damaging to my heart to be really unhelpful and upsetting. I'm not saying that I shouldn't be aware of this, and I'm glad that I am. But it's possible my heart is ok or that ultimately my heart isn't going to affect the quality of my life. This is absolutely terrifying and there are more positive and supportive ways to reveal the damaging effects of medications. I hope the duality of my sincere appreciation and dissatisfaction can be held. I needed to express this, and it doesn't take away from how helpful this guidance has been.

I am really glad I found this place and thank you for the support. It means so much

-lexapro 20mg 2009- 2022 with a few intermittent cross tapers onto zoloft, trintellix (switched back to lexapro)

-ambien 2017- 2021

-klonopin 2017- 2021

-sleep supplements containing kava, theanine, glycine, tryptophan, 5 htp, melatonin, ashwagandha

• getofflex changed the title to Becky1989: Lexapro taper (I'm new to this site and only saw an option to post in this area)

Hello Becky1989!

How are you doing? I am following your thread since i have been on 20 mg of Lexapro too and cold turkeyed last year not knowing about wd. 
i was experiencing horrible symptoms last autumn, trust me; it gets better.

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

April 2013 got off August 2013 reinstated 

July 2015 Ketipinor 50mg (Quetiapin)

April 2021 got off Quetiapin 4w taper

May 2021 tapered off Escitalopram 

9 August 2021 back on Escitalopram 2,5mg. Down to 2 mg. Updosed to 2,2mg August 24 Down to 2mg September 2

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

December Still holding ❤️

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

December 2022 switched syringes and realized i am actually taking 3,4 mg

Supplements vitamin E 400 magnesium malate a fraction of 400, Rosita Cod liver oil

Thank you for sharing this! I'm hanging in there. I guess I also wonder at times if this really is withdrawal 

-ambien 2017- 2021

-klonopin 2017- 2021

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Becky1989, and welcome aboard,

On 12/26/2022 at 4:48 AM, Becky1989 said:

I guess I also wonder at times if this really is withdrawal 

I think it's a shoe in for being WD(withdrawal).  Yours appears to have been a rapid or fast taper down to 2.5 mg.  I could not even get from 5 mg Lexapro(escitalopram) to 3 mg, without experiencing severe WD.

What we generally endorse is what is called a harm reduction protocol for tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

and then the 10% off is based on each previous dose, not the starting dosage

Tips for tapering off escitalopram(Lexapro)

And not trying to upset you any further.  It's just I don't know what you have seen or read here to date.

You can use this page, your page, as a bit of a library of sorts, with things to look at when able.  And also it is the best place to communicate with us, ask questions, give updates......around your specifics.

Sounds like it is still pretty rough at times.

Windows?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

More on supplements and testing:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, and diets

and you'll see a whole bunch of indexed topics in the first post there

I'm not quite certain when you reached your present dose of 2.5 mg of Lexapro.  Would you put a date into your signature please, that you reached that dose?  Here's the quick access link to get there from here:  AccountSettings/signature/edits  Be sure and hit the Save button at the bottom when you do that.  And then what was your previous dose before you dropped to 2.5 mg of Lexapro?

I found your Quviviq listed:

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/quviviq.html

I'm not too familiar with this one at all, so will be studying myself.

Are you in the habit of checking on drugs and also drug interactions?  Most aren't.  And so would you go to Drugs.com again, and check your current drugs and supplements for interactions?

Then please post a link to that report, or copy and paste.

Thank you.

So often we do find conflicting drug(s) being used or ones that do not work well together.

And so it could be important.

Depending on that, the date.....and when your symptoms got worse......you might be a  good candidate for an updose of a small amount of Lexapro.

Please have a look at:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

you would be updosing rather than reinstating, but it might offer some relief to your symptoms

What are your current WD(withdrawal) symptoms.  You can take a look at this to see.  Go to the downloadable PDF.

Dr. Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Some more basics:

Again, welcome aboard.    Do tell us more.  Or how we might be helpful.
And sending healing.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
moderator manymoretodays(mmt)
Edited by manymoretodays
clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing