SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Electromagnetic sensitivity?

existing

I want to know if this is something that many others here have noticed.

At some point, I realized when I did something to raise dust, it made no difference if I held my breath and held my nose shut. I'd still get pulsing, jolting feelings through my body. I thought maybe it was triggered by the dust (and mold, etc.) contact with my skin.

Later, I realized the internal tumult "shifted" in very noticeable, immediate ways when I was touching anything metal.

I've paid attention to how the feelings inside change when I am nearby anything that uses electricity. It is not always intolerable. It works more like these things "balance" something inside me. Noise and buzzing in my head may be become faster but less constricting. Or it may be pushed from my chest into my stomach, etc.

The first while I noticed these things, it was hard to tell the difference and I questioned it. But the sensitivity seems to have gotten worse over time.

Now, just like with my food sensitivity, reactions are immediate.

It doesn't seem to be just metal or anything using electricity but my body, my hair, my clothes, everything to some extent.

Early on, I cut a piece of my hair off that had been sticking out. Purely coincidence, I was stumbling around, my head in a terrible haze, noticed while looking in the mirror that a piece of hair stuck out and went to get some scissors to cut it off.

As soon as I cut it, the haze in my head disappeared. It took a few minutes for me to make the connection. Then I thought to test holding bits of (uncut) hair and pointing them outward away from my head, at which point I immediately felt hazy again.

I could also sometimes experience relief by removing my glasses.

Even here, I don't expect everyone to immediately believe this. To ask me if I'm just imagining it and forming connection where there are none. It is upsetting to me, but I know what to expect. I experience it every day.

I also notice turning wifi, bluetooth and location on/off on phone and laptop makes an immediate difference as well.

1996: Mellaril (Thioridazine) - taken just once, "high" then "comedown" with suicidal threats and gestures

1998-2009: various antidepressants, mostly(I think)SSRIs
2008: Risperdal for 2 week period (caused unbearable akathisia)
2009-2017: Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg (began at lower doses
2017, early: stopped meds after lowering doses at 2-week intervals
2017, mid (about 3 months later): withdrawal symptoms begin, prozac reinstated almost immediately, other hellish symptoms begin.

Press on slowly raising dose back to 60mg hoping (and with GP reassurance) for return to 'normalcy'. Now 2-month intervals before dose increase

2017, late: Wellbutrin reinstated (and starting Wellbutrin again too
2018, mid: hellish symptoms still there, stop meds again over about 3 or 4 months.
2018, late: withdrawal symptoms again begin about 3 months after last dose of meds (prozac)

I don't think you are imagining this at all. I've been reading and hearing about EMF damage for years now.

I'm very sensitive to everything and everyone around me as well but it's not something many people are aware of or willing to discuss.

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

Sorry you suffer from it too. But it's nice to see there's others here who can relate.

I haven't found a whole lot I can do because of how debilitated I am, how bad my executive skills are, how unworkable my environment is (especially with all the symptoms).

There are communities for other sufferers but without the overlap of med withdrawal (or not identified, at least) and the way most of them experience it also seemed different from what I saw in myself

It sounds silly but, being able to do very little else, sleeping with metal utensils has been a lifesaver when I didn't have the energy to wash my bedding (the dirtier it becomes, the worst effects are). I mainly use a butter knife with a squarish handle and a wire egg cup.

Having them near me, usually against my skin, shifts the concentration of whatever is going through me and has done a lot to alleviate hellish feelings of internal constriction and shaking when there was nothing else I could do.

I made a mental note that if I ever needed to explain them to anyone, I'd just say they were sensory things that calmed me or fidgets (like for adhd).

Often, simply adjusting my clothes, or my blanket while in bed,  does something to help. Like pinching two parts together will I suppose change how the current is travelling over and then that will affect the terrible buzzing and agitation inside (sometimes making it worse, so I have to experiment).

And again, hair seemed important. After the incident in my first post, I would check to see if pieces were sticking out and try to adjust them (it's better to do this than going right to cutting since there is a sort of balance and you can lose a piece that would be better off staying put but adjusted). Sometimes smoothing bits down. Or ruffling other bits up so it was a bit more even. I couldn't even find a comb and never remembered to order one.

I found I got worse after showering and shampooing at least for the first couple days (wasn't able to shower often anyway though). Maybe the oils are important?

These days, it doesn't make as much difference and it also seems very "here and there" like with other symptoms in withdrawal.

To me, it was one of the most unbelievable things in this. That my hair sticking out could have such an impact

I feel embarrassed saying this but I know it's true. I questioned it a lot at first but the effects became too extreme and immediate to ignore. Flipping a butter knife lying on my bed so the teeth are facing the other way and feeling my insides change. Then doing it again and having them change back to previous feelings, etc.

I'd like to hear what the alternative explanations are. Though actually I wouldn't really because I don't have the patience to be browbeaten and gaslighted anymore by people who have already made up their minds.

Anyway, maybe others will be helped by this. I would never even have considered it before stumbling on it myself.

I would like to try getting a faraday cage but it's still too much for me right now.

1996: Mellaril (Thioridazine) - taken just once, "high" then "comedown" with suicidal threats and gestures

1998-2009: various antidepressants, mostly(I think)SSRIs
2008: Risperdal for 2 week period (caused unbearable akathisia)
2009-2017: Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg (began at lower doses
2017, early: stopped meds after lowering doses at 2-week intervals
2017, mid (about 3 months later): withdrawal symptoms begin, prozac reinstated almost immediately, other hellish symptoms begin.

Press on slowly raising dose back to 60mg hoping (and with GP reassurance) for return to 'normalcy'. Now 2-month intervals before dose increase

2017, late: Wellbutrin reinstated (and starting Wellbutrin again too
2018, mid: hellish symptoms still there, stop meds again over about 3 or 4 months.
2018, late: withdrawal symptoms again begin about 3 months after last dose of meds (prozac)

• 9 months later...

Hi fellow warriors. I hope you are well and coping 💜 One of my symptoms is getting worse for some reason - electromagnetic frequency sensitivity. Whenever I look at phone or laptop screens, I get strange sensations in my head, fatigue (feeling drained), bad mood, poor sleep, and worsening of other symptoms. Needless to say my ability to work is very impacted. Does anyone know of anything that could help? Anyone had this symptom and navigated it successfully? Or at least lessened it? It is my worst symptom at the moment because the longer I look at Screens the worse all my other symptoms get. I even get flu-like symptoms after such as sore throat and sensitivity to cold. It’s really weird. Any help would be a God-send. Thank you dears 💜 Have a blessed day! 🙏🏻

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• Administrator

@SolarPlexus please use site search for existing topics before starting topics in the Symptoms forum. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@SolarPlexus please use site search for existing topics before starting topics in the Symptoms forum. Thank you.

Hi @Altostrata thanks for your message. I did use the site search and found old posts explaining the symptom but no remedies found so I started this topic in case someone has since then found any alleviating solutions. Hope someone did and can share ideas 🙏🏻

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 2:11 AM, SolarPlexus said:

Hi fellow warriors. I hope you are well and coping 💜 One of my symptoms is getting worse for some reason - electromagnetic frequency sensitivity. Whenever I look at phone or laptop screens, I get strange sensations in my head, fatigue (feeling drained), bad mood, poor sleep, and worsening of other symptoms. Needless to say my ability to work is very impacted. Does anyone know of anything that could help? Anyone had this symptom and navigated it successfully? Or at least lessened it? It is my worst symptom at the moment because the longer I look at Screens the worse all my other symptoms get. I even get flu-like symptoms after such as sore throat and sensitivity to cold. It’s really weird. Any help would be a God-send. Thank you dears 💜 Have a blessed day! 🙏🏻

I have the same issue. Phone screen, computer, tv etc just give me a pressure headache & increase in symptoms @SolarPlexus

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

Sorry just saw this! Yes mine has been off the charts to the point where I went to a neurologist and just got an MRI done. No neurological cause or a cause in the cervical spine. At some point Omega 3 was helping but now I am sensitive to all fish oils. The process is not linear at all! If you find anything that helps (such as special eye glasses) or lighting or screen protectors please let me know and I will do the same. FYI I am currently wearing a tinfoil hat to see if that helps. Oh the lengths one would go to in order to handle withdrawal! 

On 2/28/2024 at 7:42 AM, SolarPlexus said:

Sorry just saw this! Yes mine has been off the charts to the point where I went to a neurologist and just got an MRI done. No neurological cause or a cause in the cervical spine. At some point Omega 3 was helping but now I am sensitive to all fish oils. The process is not linear at all! If you find anything that helps (such as special eye glasses) or lighting or screen protectors please let me know and I will do the same. FYI I am currently wearing a tinfoil hat to see if that helps. Oh the lengths one would go to in order to handle withdrawal! 

@SolarPlexus Are you working at all? I want to try to work remote but of course that involves computer screen & idk if I could handle it. I will get some blue light glasses soon & let you know how it works for me. How are you doing now? How did the tinfoil hat work lol

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

Yes I am working, but mostly from home. Thankfully. In early withdrawal I had to quit work for a year because of this symptom. But then it went away. And then now came back with a vengeance! I am still not doing well. There is something off in the right side of my head. It feels seriously injured! I get pain and sensations of crawling worms in my temples (right side) yet the MRI doesn't show except a benign hemangioma there. Honestly, I am suspecting it's a hair supplement I took - silica with some vitamins and minerals in it. I took it for one week and it was hurting my head in that area so I stopped it and then ever since I am how I am now. Tinfoil hat doesn't seem to have done much. The most relief I get is from switching off phone and wifi all weekend (which gets very lonely) or else using it only to coordinate meeting up with someone and then not looking at it at all. The phone is the worst. I have considered getting a non-smart phone or a landline at home. If anything works, let's share with one another. I wish you too best of luck my dear! 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy